I still love the song though.

#1037 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Some of the songs really shine as far as lyrics go. I think these songs have really captivating/connective lyrics:

Come Back To Me
Dirty Desire
This One (Crying Like a Child)
Me Muero

But I think these songs have lyrics that are totally jumbled/unconnective/you can't relate to them whatsoever:
FYI
Automatic Part II
Poppin'

I agree about FYI, I mean when you really look at it, one line has nothing to do with the one before it, I'm not sure where she was going with that at all haha. At the same time, I sort of like its weirdness.

I think Poppin' actually has some okay lyrics when it comes to what usually connects with American audiences. "We're going straight to the front of the line, bouncers gonna let us in cause w'ere fine, so fine" ect.

& while I agree that Automatic Part II's lyrics are all over the place, I think they have enough of a bang to get people to notice it. Just the phrase alone, "When I like it I don't hide it, got to have it, I can't help it--Its automatic"

Me Muero, I'm in love with the lyrics.
The part where she's talking about smoking her days away reading old emails in her pajamas, stuff like that definitely connects with the audience because its on such a realistic level. Many people can understand what its like to have their love leave and then have the days seem to roll by very mundane and slowly. "What a day, me muero" .

Edited by --e n k y o r i*, 19 April 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#1038 Junichiro

Junichiro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

I agree about FYI, I mean when you really look at it, one line has nothing to do with the one before it, I'm not sure where she was going with that at all haha. At the same time, I sort of like its weirdness.

I think Poppin' actually has some okay lyrics when it comes to what usually connects with American audiences. "We're going straight to the front of the line, bouncers gonna let us in cause w'ere fine, so fine" ect.

& while I agree that Automatic Part II's lyrics are all over the place, I think they have enough of a bang to get people to notice it. Just the phrase alone, "When I like it I don't hide it, got to have it, I can't help it--Its automatic"

Me Muero, I'm in love with the lyrics.
The part where she's talking about smoking her days away reading old emails in her pajamas, stuff like that definitely connects with the audience because its on such a realistic level. Many people can understand what its like to have their love leave and then have the days seem to roll by very mundane and slowly. "What a day, me muero" .

"Poppin'" actually had quite a bit of potential for me (lyric-wise), but randomly inserted lines like "the wolves cry" and "the stars are all mine" kind of ruined it for me. But yeah, the other lines that were in line with the rest of the song were pretty good.

I think for "FYI", she herself stated that she was trying to get it into a full song for 2 years or something? I think in the end, she sort of had to close off and just pick something to insert in for the incomplete lines because of the deadlines for the album. I mean, while some of the lines are really grand, "Take me to where the grasses lie", some lines are totally whacked and out of context (I don't think anyone so far has been able to even give a warped legit explanation for the "Captain Picard" line).

I can't get over how amazing the lyrics are to me for "Dirty Desire". It's just so... damn honest! I mean, man, every time I listen to it, (I suppose me having a big crush on someone right now might have something to do with it), I totally connect to it... Like an amazing experience every time I listen to it, both musically and lyrically haha XD

#1039 Chibi_Mayu

Chibi_Mayu

Mahou Shoujo sparkles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

I was watching Channel V's top 20 countdown last night and I almost died when I saw Utada's CBTM on the 9th spot sob <3

...But then again that doesn't say much 'cause I'm in Asia and Jolin Tsai's song was on the #2 spot D8

#1040 digitalkokoro

digitalkokoro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

I edited my post to say that I did like it after seeing your comment. :lol:
I thought maybe it gave off the impression that I didn't like it. >.< I meant that her album had both American AND Utada flavors~
I think I even like Automatic Part II now. =O I really hated it when I first heard it, haha.

BTW, I was listening to FYI.
And it's got to be one of my favorite Utada songs.. but does anyone know what the meaning of the song is?
Captain Picard, chardonnay, chilling and flossing, senorita?

Chardonnay - An white wine. I believe only the really rich can afford it.
Chilling & Flossing - Just relaxing and showing off what you have.
"I'm flossing with this hot new car I bought."
Senorita - Spanish word for Ms., Miss, or Mrs. (so in the context of the song your wife or miss, AKA your best friend)
Captain Picard - In Star Trek, Captain Picard was the initiator, the CAPTAIN of the ship, the controller, the BOSS - so basically everyone did what he wished. So if you're the boss, you figuratively sit back and relax, and watch as everyone else does your work. (so 'Like Captain Picard...I'm chillin' and flossin'...)

Utada is quite clever. She knows what she is doing. She does not throw lines together without some meaning behind it.

Basically the song adds up to a fun time with either the character in this song's wife or a mistress(call me, see you later, you know my number) possibly alluding to a Pretty Woman (the movie) sort of situation. I guess its up to individual interpretation.

#1041 Junichiro

Junichiro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Chardonnay - An white wine. I believe only the really rich can afford it.
Chilling & Flossing - Just relaxing and showing off what you have.
"I'm flossing with this hot new car I bought."
Senorita - Spanish word for Ms., Miss, or Mrs. (so in the context of the song your wife or miss, AKA your best friend)
Captain Picard - In Star Trek, Captain Picard was the initiator, the CAPTAIN of the ship, the controller, the BOSS - so basically everyone did what he wished. So if you're the boss, you figuratively sit back and relax, and watch as everyone else does your work. (so 'Like Captain Picard...I'm chillin' and flossin'...)

Utada is quite clever. She knows what she is doing. She does not throw lines together without some meaning behind it.

Basically the song adds up to a fun time with either the character in this song's wife or a mistress(call me, see you later, you know my number) possibly alluding to a Pretty Woman (the movie) sort of situation. I guess its up to individual interpretation.

That's the first interpretation of the song I've read yet. I think you did a good job of trying to get the meanings behind it :lol:
But, there are still lines that aren't in lieu with the rest of the songs, regardless of whether they have meaning or not...
Like "Take me to the field where the grass is, where the grasses lie" or "MP3 MP3 MP3 Lakers/Players" and "Hustlers".
I think a good lyricist not only can incorporate clever and hidden meanings, but also does it on the level in which it can connect to the listeners. On this song, I get the feeling that the lyrics have a lot of meaning for her, but 99% of the listeners are pretty much lost (but the music is very good, and a lot of the phrases by themselves, even though they don't tie up together can sound nice).

I really think that Utada's an excellent lyricist, but there are definitely hit & misses, I won't deny that despite being a fan. Even on some of her Japanese songs, there are a few that I wish I never looked up the meaning for, because the lyrics just weirded the song out for me (like "Kiss & Cry").

Edited by Junichiro, 20 April 2009 - 09:40 AM.

#1042 digitalkokoro

digitalkokoro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

^ Thanks! & again, the "MP3 Play-ers, Work it out Hust-lers" is another wordplay. Back to the overall money/expensive/flossin' theme, she is playing with the fact that people call themselves "players" and "hustlers" (aka money-makers). And, MP3 players are expensive.

But you're right also, Utada does tend to get one lost in her almost stream-of-consciousness lyrics. It does tend to alienate the listener. (AKA CBTM "Manhattan...She goes shopping for new clothes...Buy this, buys that, just leave her alone...") wtf?

& I still dont understand why she put the chant in MCML. (Omni Padme...)

Can anyone clarify either? :lol:

Edited by digitalkokoro, 20 April 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#1043 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

xD I knew what the words were, but I just didn't get how they flowed together.
I guess I see more of a solid image now.. although the lyrics definitely remind me of the ones on Exodus album. =P

#1044 Junichiro

Junichiro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

^ Thanks! & again, the "MP3 Play-ers, Work it out Hust-lers" is another wordplay. Back to the overall money/expensive/flossin' theme, she is playing with the fact that people call themselves "players" and "hustlers" (aka money-makers). And, MP3 players are expensive.

But you're right also, Utada does tend to get one lost in her almost stream-of-consciousness lyrics. It does tend to alienate the listener. (AKA CBTM "Manhattan...She goes shopping for new clothes...Buy this, buys that, just leave her alone...") wtf?

& I still dont understand why she put the chant in MCML. (Omni Padme...)

Can anyone clarify either? :lol:

Oh yeah, the Omani Padme thing (I think I just totally misspelled it).

I think that's one of those lines that fit in with the "flows well by itself but doesn't tie in to the flow" kind of thing. By itself, it's great and goes along with the Asiatic feel of the song, with the philosophy behind the saying (something about the 8 somethings of virtue or something... Kind of in lieu with the 8-Fold Philosophy in Buddhism maybe?)

And yeah! You took the words exactly out of my mouth! "Stream of consciousness" haha yes ^^ almost like when we analyze poems for Fiction & Poetry in school... Some of her songs are really intricate and complex because there's not a single scene or a linear character... There are random and abrupt scene changes (like the one you mentioned) without much explanation, and you can tell that all these things have some grand meaning to her, it just becomes a puzzle game for the listeners to piece it together... I mean, in a lot of her songs, the narrative gets really hard to follow and you don't get a typical scene set or solid movement of characters...

But it's all cool because those are some of the very characteristics that are in very highly-acclaimed poets around the world who are all published in the Norton Anthology of Poetry... Haha XD (Okay, too much Intro to Fic/Po for me recently)

#1045 Jax

Jax

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

I've heard that some parts of FYI, relate to the movie as well.

#1046 Flash Over

Flash Over

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Yesterday a clothing store at my local mall played the Haji remix of CTBM, and my friend asked me why my jaw dropped, so I screamed "THIS STORE PLAYS UTADA!!"

...I got ALOT of stares...ALOT of them :blink:

#1047 Raito7

Raito7

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

According to Amazon.com, this is the new TITO's US Version tracklisting:

Track Listings
1. On And On
2. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI
3. Apple And Cinnamon
4. Taking My Money Back
5. This One (Crying Like a Child)
6. Automatic Part II
7. Dirty Desire
8. Poppin'
9. Come Back To Me
10. Me Muero
11. Simple and Clean (Bonus Track)
12. Sanctuary (Opening) (Bonus Track)
13. Sanctuary (Closing) (Bonus Track)

http://www.amazon.co...0...501&sr=8-11

#1048 Raul

Raul

Thunder Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

^ yayy!!! Simple and Clean and Sanctuary!!! :thumbsup:

thanks for the info Raito7!

#1049 Junichiro

Junichiro

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

According to Amazon.com, this is the new TITO's US Version tracklisting:

Track Listings
1. On And On
2. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI
3. Apple And Cinnamon
4. Taking My Money Back
5. This One (Crying Like a Child)
6. Automatic Part II
7. Dirty Desire
8. Poppin'
9. Come Back To Me
10. Me Muero
11. Simple and Clean (Bonus Track)
12. Sanctuary (Opening) (Bonus Track)
13. Sanctuary (Closing) (Bonus Track)

http://www.amazon.co...0...501&sr=8-11

Wow, they really need to stop changing the song order on the album... I've already gotten used to rearranging my song order into the second album order, but now I'm going to have to rearrange again to this order (which seems like the first order)... @[email protected]

But I am really happy that they decided to include those three bonus songs. Very smart. I think maybe they should've considered just putting them in not as a bonus track, but actual tracks, since they've never been officially featured in her English albums before (and they're strong enough to stand on their own and would add a nice twist to the album's flow).

#1050 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

Ugggggggggh noooo

Those songs ruin the balance of the album (imo).
They have absolutely like...nothing to do with the type of music on the rest of the album.
They're being thrown on there so that all the wapanese otaku fans will pick up a copy :thumbsup:.

I dont want to hear Simple and Clean right after Me Muero...
I'd just put in one of her old japanese album if that was the case.
Those tracks ruin the feel of the whole album T___T
So... Dissapointed.. @[email protected]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users