Photo

Do you think the BoAjjang download section will kill her English Debut

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think the download section will affect "Eat You Up's" sales? (244 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the download section will affect "Eat You Up's" sales BE HONEST?

1. Absolutely! (113 votes [46.50%])

Percentage of vote: 46.50%

2. Not a chance (130 votes [53.50%])

Percentage of vote: 53.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#136 kitzutsuita

kitzutsuita

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Yes, I do agree more exposure... But there are so many ways of doing that you know? Downloading will hurt BoA's sales regardless. If a few doesn't download, it won't make a big difference, or any at all. But at least you're one of the few who doesn't download her first us single for free :/

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Restricting the download forums for a week won't hurt anybody. Like you said, you can always find it else where. We here at BoAjjang is doing the RIGHT thing. And by doing so, we chipped in a little bit of thoughts for BoA.

You can share the music via videos/streaming websites. There's LOTs of way to do that.

I rest my case :thumbsup:

#137 tanbounony

tanbounony

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

please support our BoA by buying her cds!!!!!!!

#138 kuraudo

kuraudo

I belong in a mental asylum!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Here's a thing that was people have forgotten about.

North America no longer sell CD singles commercially
You get singles through mp3 purchases only nowadays (some exceptions).

SM will release a CD single in physical form, but those of you might not be able to buy it out in the USA at a store.
You'll need to buy it online, a whole month after.

So for those of you who won't put your CC online, you get a giftcard and input it through Amazon or Itunes and get the mp3 that way.

#139 Joshorty

Joshorty

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

^ Exactly. It's a lot easier for them to distribute and it also saves money from having to produce and distribute physical copies.

Today (or now yesterday), I went to my local HMV and bought myself an iTunes card that's prepaid with $20. I got this just so I can buy the single when it comes out on iTunes. Seriously people, if that's what it takes go for that (you can buy other things on the way of course, to make it worth the $20 or save it for when BoA's album releases).

I'm very very iffy on this topic. It's very true that file sharing, p2p yaddiyada can gain a whole link of exposure. This is why so many labels these days are willing to upload full music videos and full songs (most/some artists do this) on their Myspace/official sites, etc.

Sadly, more people take advantage to this than the people who download and then buy. I live in Canada. And MOST of my friends or people I come across to these days do download. I know it's only a census out of my school but darn, only 50/1000 people raised their hands on those who buy music (iTunes/CDs). This is why I'm a little worried...

I'm telling some of my friends who happen to be fans of BoA. I understand that they can't buy her albums from overseas so they download but I told them now that there shouldn't be an excuse since her albums would be sold locally and singles but darn, they just give a 'meh I'll just download it'.

I can't settle on a score here...I never download illegally. I know the positive and negative sides to this. I'm torned.

EDIT:

Once and for all--file sharing DOES NOT affect sales. That's a myth being fed to the public by the record companies, in a frenzy of mindless greed. Let's examine some truths here:

1) ALL ARTISTS' SONGS ARE SHARED ON THE INTERNET. Yet albums are still selling millions of copies. Look at the Billboard charts. Sure, people are downloading BoA's songs...they're also downloading songs by Britney, Miley, etc., etc., and it hasn't hurt their careers.

2) SUCCESS OF AN ARTIST IS DETERMINED BY RADIO AND VIDEO AIRPLAY AND TOURING, AS WELL AS SALES. Enya sells more albums worldwide than many popular artists...but she's still considered something of a cult figure, a niche artist. She's not a household name by any means, because she doesn't get much airplay on radio (and hardly any video airplay, anymore), plus she never tours. People like Justin Timberlake ARE household names--because their faces and voices are always out there, due to airplay and concert tours.

3) The sound quality of an mp3 is nowhere near that of a CD. Don't believe me? Put down the dorky iPod and listen to a real CD on a real stereo system. Now play an mp3 through that same stereo system--the mp3's sound sucks in comparison.

4) If someone downloads a song and likes it, they're more likely to buy it. Not only will they get better sound, they'll get the CD artwork as well (which, in the case of an artist as pretty as BoA, is a huge selling point).

5) If someone downloads a song and doesn't like it, they wouldn't have bought the song anyway.

BoAjjang's DL section won't hurt BoA at all. If anything, curious newcomers could very well become fans.

After all, that's how I became such a big BoA fan. :)

This is why I always listen to my CD in surround sound once before ripping. And I know the reality of that XD I don't don't want to be reminded. I ripped so much of my collection at 192 and ivolumed every single album, which took foreeever. But sadly, a lot of people won't even care about quality. Some people are willing to rip audio from youtube (EW :thumbsup: ).

As for the radio and airplay mabob - this is why I'm gonna do everything I can to request mad. Even in music video stations - which ever channels you wwatch - we gotta request them DAILY. Who knows, we may not even need to do this if she ends up becoming very popular, other people will do it for us.

Edited by Joshorty, 16 September 2008 - 10:20 PM.

#140 LoveStoned

LoveStoned

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

maybe banning for a week will help her, or maybe not. anyway, a good way of helping her improve the sales is gaining more radio and video airplays. I'm sure in the us radio stations and tv stations the viewers can request for certain song or video, request more will help a lot.

#141 DumbAss

DumbAss

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:37 AM

LMAO seems like i tallied the score to 50% (65 for both sides) each hahaha ^^
i voted for "Not a chance" coz her album will sell like hot cakes as usual ^^
i'll definitely buy her album if its available in singapore!!

#142 Corrsgirl1

Corrsgirl1

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:30 AM

I said this befor but just because something is released digitaly (ITunes or other places) does not mean that it is a word wide release. So it is prossible that people outside the US cant even get the offical MP3. I will buy the single but I would like to download the song first cause the single is released so much later. Its much easyer to import a physical single than it is to buy an MP3 from a store outside your country.

#143 heymonkey

heymonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

I totaly agree with you. I hope someone from BJJ staff will react about it and fix some rules about free download.

#144 Kudaranai

Kudaranai

humany wumany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:52 AM

I always buy BoA's stuff when I get the chance. And I certainly wasn't buying her singles/albums when I got to know her. It was from dling mp3's that I became a fan. But not everyone does this - which I can understand. Why buy something if you can get it for free. It's a matter of how much you're willing to support your artists so they could keep producing stuff.

#145 Kookii

Kookii

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

I see what people are saying.
I don't mind what action is taken, if any is taken at all. Because we are all BoA fans and we're only going to do what's best right?
I really hope the physical CD is released in England. Yes, I can buy off iTunes, but I much prefer physical singles rather than having virtual space on my computer taken up by a whole load of downloads, when I could use that space to install games and etc.
Plus, I like looking at the album/single art and seeing if lyrics are in there too.
Please please let it be released in the U.K. *Crosses Fingers*
I'm not going to download the song. I might listen to it on YouTube, but I'm not going to download it. I'm going to wait until I can buy it. I have problems buying Asian music, because I'm not old enough to have a PayPal account and I don't have the right credit card to use on YesAsia and other such sites. But because this is in English, it will be easier to get my hands on. [I'm really hoping anyway]

Edited by Kookii, 17 September 2008 - 09:18 AM.

#146 rainbowbeat

rainbowbeat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

^yea i'm gonna wait here too. though it'll take a long time . *domino effect :x
then i'm just gonna satisfied with the teaser movie for a while x_x

ehh. suggestion? there're many ppl who just registered to download it freely, and they're not active in the forums.
i suggest that the ppl with at least 20 post can enter the download section .. so at least they have to be active here.
coz i really think that the ppl here can even post the dl link to BoA's new album. ex. is when i see the dl link Made in Twenty a month before the release date =_=
*sorry bad suggestion

#147 Kristtina

Kristtina

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

i support this idea 100% if only i could buy her album in europe,i mean if its only available in usa,then no

#148 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

Composer/Songwriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

Simple equation: downloading + listening to an artist = 100% support without financing (^__^)
downloading + buying the cd = 10% support for artist + 90% support for record label*

*(most artists receive 10% of the net revenue from product sales while 90% is kept by the labels with some additional royalties if the artist owns the right to the song, composition, or lyrics. Net revenue is the amt paid to artist after deduction of the cost spent on producing, promoting, and distribution of an album or single.)

#149 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

The download forum works both ways, in that much we agree upon. I won't deny that, cause it what made me in the first place. I learned of BoA at a small Jpop fan site, saw some LQ videos and I needed more. Feed the beast as much as you possibly can. Idols make the most money compared to regular musicians because their material is readily available to feed the young fans.

If anything, the download forum is the hardest place to stick to control and keep with all the necessary changes that come forth.
I do respect all of your opinion's here. We roll with how things turn out, because I think everyone can agree that it's pretty much a "gray" area and not totally concrete. So I can say I'm not 100% concrete on anything regarding this myself, I can agree that its a 50/50 split, but...

The tip of the iceberg, because Boajjang's primary administrators made an agreement towards a certain Idea, I'll have to roll with that.

I want everything to turn out for the best. I want the fans here to be just as happy as Boa.

Well if the mods have agreed I suppose theres not much I can do about that.
But so many people have posted saying how downloads are the reasons they've bought her CDs,
The reason they became fans at all. This idea just seems so ironic to me.

#150 werus

werus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

I'm going to buy it and download it.

But of course I'm against the whole idea about putting it in the download section.

Edited by werus, 17 September 2008 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users