62 replies to this topic

#31 laydee-zee92

laydee-zee92

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Honestly, it seems like you're looking WAY too hard and trying to make something out of nothing. Plus, you just go "HELLO!?" instead of actually providing examples for half of them. If someone doesn't get it, "Hello, look at it!" isn't going to make them understand it any better

Ahhh, I was not in a good mood when I wrote this sorry

There are never imediate examples, you just have to watch them and some people see it, some don't.

ok, so if you were to watch "That's so Raven". She's rude, obnoxious, argues so much with her parents and has stereotypical "black girls attitude". If you watch the documentary I posted from part 1, you'll see the bit about the hyenas in the lion king, and how the black psychologist is saying they imitate the speech of black American street kids?
also notice how raven speaks like that? Now what kind of impression does this give kids of black girls?
Plus, have you ever seen the episode how raven dresses as her "mum"? Um, I don't know if there'll be a video, but basically, she makes herself ten times fatter, has a massive rubber ass and the worst Texan accent ever and actually expects her teacher to belive its her mum.

When Moseby's grandmother comes in, argh, i detested that episode. She looks like the "mother raven" from above. While the episode talks about integration, which is a plus for disney (:D), the racism is still there when she is in Zach's classroom, and falls asleep in the chair, but then when she wakes up, she gets up with the chair attached to her arse, which they have made huge.

It seems strange the same two types of characters have exactly the same features right?

Is this a good enough example? :D

#32 Kiwiee

Kiwiee

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

About the Lion King thing...the hyena Shenzi was voiced by Whoopi Goldberg. You can't expect her to sound like a privileged white lady, and frankly, the characters of the hyenas were from the wastelands. I believe the point was to characterize them as being from an underprivileged area. They talk like urban street kids, sure...but not necessarily black. The other hyena, Banzai, spoke with more of a Latino tinge to his speech...he's also the one who says "que pasa". Ed was just the weird, crazy one...he didn't really speak, so you can't say he sounded like a black street kid unless that's saying you think black street kids sound weird and crazy...? In that attempt to accuse Disney of being racist by saying the hyenas sound like "black" American street kids, it's assuming all three sound like the same, and obviously the subtle differences in speech between Shenzi and Banzai were disregarded. To assume and do that is racist in itself. The slang and such that they use is more from street culture, and not really a racial stereotype.

And I believe the point, again, is to emphasize that they are from an underpriveleged area...much like many "street kids" are from underpriveleged areas. As many minority kids grow up in such areas, myself included, I don't find it racist that they incorporated that into the characterization. Maybe you can call it class discrimination or something, but I don't find it racist.

#33 laydee-zee92

laydee-zee92

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

Mehh,
The lion king one wasnt my note, it was the note of two black phsycologists.
I aint watched the film in ages so I roughly rememberd it.
Dumbo and the others I remember though

#34 Mirai Pan-chan

Mirai Pan-chan

Bad Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

o_o I think they were just trying to make pretty cartoons that appealed to children.. when I was a child I never thought of any of the Disney movies are racist/sexist.. somewhat stereotypical though yes. However you're looking at them from an adult's persepective, but as a CHILD (which was their target audience) it wouldn't seem that way at all.. I'm only fifteen, and though I've grown out of the whole princess movie phase, I still like watching movies like Mulan at least and I still don't see any of the main major movies (ie. Cinderella, Snow White, etc.) that I've seen as racist/sexist.. sure, Mulan was shunted at first when they discovered she was female, but that was part of the story and it made the viewer feel sad and outraged about it, not encouraging it. They may have used 'stereotypes' like in Peter Pan for the Indians, but that was also how they were portrayed in the book and it's easier for a child to immediately recognize them as one then a normal Indian person we would see today who would probably dress normally as you and I do.

#35 -rita;zafra-

-rita;zafra-

[·*·BoA'slilPanda·*·]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

ROFL. Let me lol at you all. LOL. xD!

Seriously is like... making James Bond black now..., dude it's like what's wrong with James Bond being white? Not everything that is white has to be racist.

Oh well. Guys, if you think like that, you can make a fly sexist. xD!

What I got from The Lion King = Scar was bad for killing his brotha. Enough.

And lol, scratch all the fairytales oh no evilness that is. Who wants a guy to help a girl? Nobody. But if the guys forgets about doings something for a girls. THE CATASTROPHY! D:!

Ehm, what else.

You can't blame Disney for sticking with what the history made. Like, DON'T LET PEOPLE READ LATIN NOVELS, because like women have no right whatsoeveeeeeeeeeer. So it's a no no.

Disney works with stereothypes, period. Deal with it. Stereothypes work for a reason: they do exist. DOn't like it? Don't be like that. xD!

Like, everything that is not marginal = helping set stereothypes. = No.

My literature teacher tolds us like sociologysts don't like working in the city because it would be helping to be canon, and like at the same time they miss the city things that are not "canon" because they are prejudiced with what is marginal and what is canon".

Seriously is like: if you prefer white over other race for ANY REASON. OH NO YOU RACIST BIOTCH!
man over woman. BUT YOU ARE LIEKA GIRRRRRRRRLS How can you not endorce feminism. FEMALE freedom.

:lol:

Edited by -rita;zafra-, 14 November 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#36 Yuuki_Haruka

Yuuki_Haruka

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

sure, Mulan was shunted at first when they discovered she was female, but that was part of the story and it made the viewer feel sad and outraged about it, not encouraging it.

And plus, if Mulan had really been a woman in the Chinese army of that era and discovered, she WOULD be shunted.

Edited by Yuuki_Haruka, 14 November 2008 - 07:07 PM.

#37 zcanby

zcanby

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Holy crap I just read this entire discussion. Pretty intense.

To me it sounds like people are looking wayyyyyyyy too hard to find something wrong with these movies/shows. They're made for young children and families specifically so I don't think there was any intentional use of racism or sexism. I grew up watching all the Disney movies and a few of the shows that were mentioned. And I can tell you I NEVER, not once noticed anything racist or sexist in ANY movie or show. And to be honest, I still don't see anything wrong with them. I'm 19 years old and even now when I watch Disney movies/shows I honestly don't see anything racist or sexist about them. All the reasons mentioned earlier in this topic seem to be the result of someone trying really really hard to find something sexist or racist present in these movies/shows.

#38 Corrsgirl1

Corrsgirl1

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

Being a Disney freak I just have to comment on this.
I've seen them all and still I am a girl who goes to the university and believes men and woman are equal and that skin colour does not matter. The films didnt destroy me so far.

Cinderella and Snow White would be sexist? Maybe but Snow White is from the 1930's. Not really a time that woman had that many rights to begin with. Cinderella is from 1950's. Feminism was around but woman being equal to men was not all that commen yet. Blame the time not the people who made the movies.
For Beauty and the Beast...Belle is actualy a bit of a hero for me. She loves to heard and learn and she is smart. I don't see how she is shown as a helpless woman who needs to be saved. She even turns down Gaston who is a strong man who could give her anything girls usaly want in sloppy movies.

The rasism in Alladin....I never noticed anything about the skin colour. I am not going to watch the whole movie just for this but when using google the pics I find of Jafar make him look pretty pale to me.

Scar being gay...well the movie you linked doesnt convince me but that could just be me. Scar is actualy Hitler in some parts of the movie. Being a history student I think that is pretty interresting.

Could you give an example of rasism/sexism for every movie you named? havent seen the ones for Peter Pan yet. Its an English play from 1906 so vieuws where very diffrent from now.
I'd like to see the ones for Tarzan too.

A lot of them where fairytales that where really populair to begin with. So they couldnt just change anything they wanted.

The Pocahotas movie is not like the real thing...True but its a MOVIE. They do not clame it to be true. Based on a true story means they took a bit of a true story and made a movie around it. Disney isnt exactly the only company to do that.

Ofcours the characters are sterio types. Little kids (and grownups) have to see who is good and who is bad right away. Things have to be obviouse in jsut a split second. These are movies for little kids.

This topic just makes me feel like some people want to see sexism and racism in anything....

(and yes this topic pissed me off...sorry if I made that a bit to obvious)

#39 AishaLoverLight

AishaLoverLight

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

Disney's power over the minds of children is rather powerful. More powerful than we----the population that grew up on Disney give them credit for.

The companies classic movies have some sexism involved. But it more-or-less with the roles the women and men play in them. Damsel in distress rescued by her future lover (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty), damsel crossdresses to solve distress (Mulan and Motocross)...You know the deal. Racism is there too...Such as the mention of having a body part cut off during the opening sequence of Aladdin. Sure it MAY just so happen to be true, but do you REALLY think that's appropriate for children? And let us not forget the WE-ALL-LOVE-ONE-ANOTHER telling of the relations between the Caucasians and the Native Americans, a.k.a Pocahontas. They practically made her out to be a traitorous whore if you ask me...But that's just my opinion. The most important part about that story is the way they displayed history. It shouldn't have been made at all if they weren't going to tell the truth. And as a decendent of Native Americans, I find the movie highly offensive in that respect.

For children, if their parents/guardians don't moniter what they're watching, these movies can in a way, become a major influence on how they see the world. And although the parent-not-doing-their-job is to blame for this, it should be noted that the average parent isn't going to bother correcting the problem even if you point it out to them blatantly.

If they don't see what the problem is themselves, then there's just no point. I call it ignorance, but I think the *better* term for it is disillusionment.

Because they can't recall how important every little thing is to a child, they fail to look at things in *a child's eyes*. Children understand so much more than we believe them to be. As they grow older, they develop thoughts, theories, and opinions just like you and I. They learn things through experiences, observances, and yes---ENTERTAINMENT. They develop their own version of the world based on the things around them---and if it isn't filtered correctly, or even explained as the event (or mode of entertainment) ensues, they grow into a fantasy world that eventually transforms into a nightmarish one as time goes on?

Why?

Because society isn't about damsels in distress being rescued by hot looking men. As a matter of fact, it's more-or-less like, "cuty, save yourself...". That realization, or reality shock can be quite devastating...And had my mother not have instilled in me the knowledge of the truth and showed me the spiral of lies Disney wanted me to fall into, I'd have been devastated greatly. But at the same time, she still allowed me to watch the movies---to be ENTERTAINED and not BRAINWASHED into believing in a fantasy world.

And if you think I'm being over dramatic, take into account the EXTREME cases of the opposite of my situation.

Little children obsess over big franchises such as Harry Potter and Naruto. Without filtering certain things out---such as the obivious thing: "Little Suzie, you can't make your own sand coffin. You will die because you don't have a Shukaku demon inside of you---and NO the Shukaku demon isn't real." Or, "Johnathan, you can run around the house all day with your broomstick but do not EVER try to jump off the top of the staircase. You can and most likely will DIE if you do." Without the guidance of their parents, these children fantasize about doing the things their *fictional* heros do and then try to re-enact them in real life. I even remember pretending I was riding on a magic carpet like Aladdin and Jasmine---but I never went to the extremety of actually jumping off the edge of my bed to make myself float.

Sadly, it appears that our new generation of youth have lost a couple of brain cells. :D'

Of course, children aren't the only ones with fantasy-world problems. Need I remind you of all the junior high and high school students that decided to make their own DEATH NOTES because they believed Kira's beliefs to be ideal? To them, it was just a natural reaction. Something that normally occured in their fantasy world.

*sighs* I could go on-and-on, but I'm not.

Anyway, the problem is peoples own psyches. If their messed up from the beginning, problems will occur. If they've been properly influenced by the right people, then it should be okay for them to watch these things without any adverse effects on their minds. Anyway, good luck with your paper.

#40 laydee-zee92

laydee-zee92

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

Holy crap I just read this entire discussion. Pretty intense.

To me it sounds like people are looking wayyyyyyyy too hard to find something wrong with these movies/shows. They're made for young children and families specifically so I don't think there was any intentional use of racism or sexism. I grew up watching all the Disney movies and a few of the shows that were mentioned. And I can tell you I NEVER, not once noticed anything racist or sexist in ANY movie or show. And to be honest, I still don't see anything wrong with them. I'm 19 years old and even now when I watch Disney movies/shows I honestly don't see anything racist or sexist about them. All the reasons mentioned earlier in this topic seem to be the result of someone trying really really hard to find something sexist or racist present in these movies/shows.

Well, think about it. Has there ever been a black disney princess?
More to the point, ever seen a black disney character?
Asides sun flower in fantasia.
Who was then cut out of the new version of the film and disney pretended she never existed...
Plus, how come Asians (Pakistani/ Indian) and Middle easterns are always portrayed as.... ugh, I can't even describe it.
Watch Aladin.
My Nine year old cousin felt offended by it without anyone saying anything to her.
(Maybe something to do with how the Saudi law system is presented, even we aren't that nuts...)

From Cracked :
The opening musical sequence from the hugely popular 1992 animated film had to be edited due to protest from Arab-American groups for saying about the Middle East what most of us were merely thinking.

Lesson Learned:
The Middle East is a barren wasteland where the justice system runs on a clear and simple limb-removal policy.

Best (Worst?) Moment:
""Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" is the offending line, which was changed on the DVD to the much less provocative "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense." Whatever. Our question: In a city full of Arabic men and women, where the hell does a midwestern-accented, white piece of cornbread like Aladdin come from?"

Plus, dumbo. I think now would be a great time to point out that the crows in dumbo were voiced by white guys trying (and failing) to do a black voice. Plus the lead was named "Jim Crow".
I am sureee that is enough evidence so far.

(From Cracked)

"In this 1941 classic, Dumbo the flying elephant runs into a band of jive-talking black crows who sing, "I'd be done see'n about everything/when I see an elephant fly!"

Lesson Learned:
Come on, blackbirds acting in a manner stereotypically assigned to African-Americans isn't that offensive. At least they didn't just get some white guy to do his best "black voice." Oh, really? They did? And, they called the lead character "Jim Crow?" Um, hey, look over there! It's a convincing, logical end to this argument!

Best (Worst?) Moment:
So many too choose from. The crows are very specifically depicted as poor and uneducated. They're constantly smoking; they wear pimptastic hats; and they're experts on all things "fly," so it's really a team effort contributing to the general minstrel-show feel to the whole number. (Zara Note: This relates to a horrible show we used to have in the UK called "The Black and White Minstrel show") You could pretty much pause this video (When I See An Elephant Fly) at any second and use it as evidence in your hate-crime lawsuit against Disney.

For its time, though, the portrayal of the crows was almost progressive. The crows band together and help Dumbo learn to fly, so they're counted among the heroes of the film. Remember, this was just a couple of years after somebody introduced a bill to outlaw lynching and congress voted it down. So, you know, you take what you can get. "

I'm not saying disney should be banned, but that it should be shown with full responsibilities of parents to explain the steryotpes within the films.

P.s - The "When I see an Elephant Fly" vid, the choreographer needs to be SHOT! The dancing dosn't go with the song and they seem to change vocal pitches ever two seconds! Hormonal crows?!

Happy Hearted Roustabouts

And as for sexism:
The woman never seem to be able to do ANYTHING for herself when faced with trouble (With the exception of Mulan, and even when she returned home, after saving China her family was in scorn), seem to be the mother, wife roles etc, oh, and have a high sexuality level, being coy, batting of eye lashes, flicking hair...

Sexism in Disney

This persons video highlights it for you :D

Edited by laydee-zee92, 15 November 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#41 Corrsgirl1

Corrsgirl1

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

I find it funny how not having african-american characters seems to equal discrimination. There is an african american lead character in the newest disney movie. And a lot of the older movies are based on European fairy tales from the 1700 and 1800. They are about places where only caucasion people lived. Disney could be all political correct and add african people in but it makes no sence imo.

About the video Sexism in Disney...maybe I see it this way because I won't believe what ever they bring up anyway but a lot of it seems to be taken out of context. Like the part about Mulan. She sais 'how about a woman that speaks her mind'. The men al make it look like that is a bad thing. But to me that shows that she is strong enough to be who she is even if the men think it is wrong. She proves her self to them in the end also.

Showing Cinderella as a home maker doesnt really help the video either imo. She is not doing it because she wants to and feels like woman are less than men and want to do it. She has to. her evil stepmom makes her do it.

Hercules is the hero. Meg is the damsel in destress? Apart from Meg telling Herc to buzz of cause she doesnt need him its a greek myth. Woman did not have rights. Some minor ones in Sparta but in Greece as a whole..eerrnn not really. They could make Meg a herion but that makes no sence. Actualy that movie is far less sexistic than it should be if you'd follow the real myth. Zeus was not exactly a loving husband.

The video shows Quasimodo savind Esmiralda als sexism. I'd like to call that emantipation of handicapped/misformed people. It shows that someone who looks 'wierd' should be treated like a normal person because that is what they are.

The Tarzan story is from 1914. Woman couldn;t even vote at that time. Why would they be portrade as herions?

I also miss the scene of Mulan concering the whole mongolian army. But they would know better than to show the strong women because that clashes with wat they want to show. I see the video as some smart cutting and pasting. Not as showing how Disney movies are.

Besides....Even if I would love to see it diffrently...Woman do most of the cleaning and taking care of the kids (at least here in the Netherlands they do). So is showing women that way sexism??
(have to add that I do not intend to have kids or become a homeworker. I would like to see things like that more equal but they are not. Do not blame Disney..They can not change it. You can. If it bothers you change it. Marry a man who will become a stay at home dad. Become a working woman. Dont go an blame a cartoon for things that are wrong in the world. You are giving Disney more credit than they deserve).

Edited by Corrsgirl1, 15 November 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#42 laydee-zee92

laydee-zee92

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

I find it funny how not having african-american characters seems to equal discrimination. There is an african american lead character in the newest disney movie. And a lot of the older movies are based on European fairy tales from the 1700 and 1800. They are about places where only caucasion people lived. Disney could be all political correct and add african people in but it makes no sence imo.

About the video Sexism in Disney...maybe I see it this way because I won't believe what ever they bring up anyway but a lot of it seems to be taken out of context. Like the part about Mulan. She sais 'how about a woman that speaks her mind'. The men al make it look like that is a bad thing. But to me that shows that she is strong enough to be who she is even if the men think it is wrong. She proves her self to them in the end also.

Showing Cinderella as a home maker doesnt really help the video either imo. She is not doing it because she wants to and feels like woman are less than men and want to do it. She has to. her evil stepmom makes her do it.

Besides....Even if I would love to see it diffrently...Woman do most of the cleaning and taking care of the kids (at least here in the Netherlands they do). So is showing women that way sexism??
(have to add that I do not intend to have kids or become a homeworker. I would like to see things like that more equal but they are not. Do not blame Disney..They can not change it. You can. If it bothers you change it. Marry a man who will become a stay at home dad. Become a working woman. Dont go an blame a cartoon for things that are wrong in the world. You are giving Disney more credit than they deserve).

*Sighs*
I am not saying "OMG NEVER SHOW DISNEY AGAIN!!!!"
Just that they could be a little more... I don't know...nicer?
Plus, the whole basis of my paper is to ask whether it effects young children.
In Tarzan, the original film of the black people being portrayed as savages was racist in itself....but then Disney comming along, wiping thier existance and replacing them with Gorillas. Not one of the greatest moves...
Pretending they don't exist is just as unfair as crowy-fying them.

Cinderella - Cinderella - The original Ashputtel story (Cinderella) portrays a much more intelligent female character. She gets herself THREE TIMES to the ball with the help of the tree burried over her mother which she looked after herself. She also hides from the prince cunningly. Instead, disney threw in a fairy god mother, a woman who dosnt actually do much asides cleaning, and a bunch of weird steryotipical mice ("Leave the sewing to the women!!!!!")

"Besides....Even if I would love to see it diffrently...Woman do most of the cleaning and taking care of the kids (at least here in the Netherlands they do). So is showing women that way sexism??
(have to add that I do not intend to have kids or become a homeworker. I would like to see things like that more equal but they are not. Do not blame Disney..They can not change it. You can. If it bothers you change it. Marry a man who will become a stay at home dad. Become a working woman. Dont go an blame a cartoon for things that are wrong in the world. You are giving Disney more credit than they deserve)."

Actually, I think this would be a great time to point out that many women are out making a living for themselves and not slaving away. Plus, alotta men do tend to help with housework now days belive it or not.

Also, disney can change it, they manage to deny the existance of sunflower in fantasia, but that isnt my point. The point is I am not ASKING them to change it. I am simply stating that maybe parents should discuss the movies with thier children after watching.

I don't see how doing a paper on racism and sexism in disney is blaming them for wrong things in the world? The trouble is, you question disney and everyone is like "OMG HOW CAN YOU QUESTION DISNEY YOU SICKO?!!!"Walt Disney himself was a racist and an anti semite, his ex employees have even stated so. Questioning things isnt harmful you know, it means that we don't accept everything we are told.
I also don't see how my choices in life as to becomming a working woman should affect my paper?

" Being a Disney freak I just have to comment on this."
"(and yes this topic pissed me off...sorry if I made that a bit to obvious)"

I think admitting to being a Disney freak, then admitting to getting pissed over a debate on disney is also giving them more credit than they deserve :D To then accuse me of doing so is Pot calling the kettle black (Ie, contradicting yourself. Badly :D)

*edit*

Ok, I noticed some other points in your post.

"The Tarzan story is from 1914. Woman couldn;t even vote at that time. Why would they be portrade as herions?"
But the movie was made around the 90's - 2000's era? I'm SURE disney knew about sexual equality then.

"The video shows Quasimodo savind Esmiralda als sexism. I'd like to call that emantipation of handicapped/misformed people. It shows that someone who looks 'wierd' should be treated like a normal person because that is what they are." - OK, you got me there, hands up.

"I also miss the scene of Mulan concering the whole mongolian army. But they would know better than to show the strong women because that clashes with wat they want to show. I see the video as some smart cutting and pasting. Not as showing how Disney movies are."

Mulan - Not much sexism because she DOES save China on her own ass, more in the match makers song though.You'll bring honour to us all

Edited by laydee-zee92, 15 November 2008 - 04:12 PM.

#43 Corrsgirl1

Corrsgirl1

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

I do not think no one can say band things about disney, altough walt being a racist doesnt have all that much to do with movies made after his death.
The thing that bothers me is that people do not put things in time perspective.
And they make a huge fuss about some kiddy movies.
It's good to take a look at how woman or minoraties are put behind in today's sosiaty and I think the idea for your paper is good but I don't understand why it is focessing on some cartoons.
And maybe I just dont understand where you are comming from because I have seen them all a million times and they did not influence me at all in a bad way.

Just want to let you know I am not trying to fight what you say. I think it is an interresting topic. I just can't see it, even if I try.

The thing that pissed me off was that some people want to see discrimination in everything. I dont see how that contradics me bing a disney freak.

Edited by Corrsgirl1, 15 November 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#44 -rita;zafra-

-rita;zafra-

[·*·BoA'slilPanda·*·]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

^ I think this happed because it is in "Serious Discussions".

It should be just some sort of "Help me with my homework" thread. Make it "serious" make people start discussing it to much.

In the end. Suck it up people, don't like it? Don't let your children watch it.

P.S: I'll 100 times a guy that wants to save me from a evil ogre than a jerk that doens't pay attention to me.

#45 zcanby

zcanby

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

Haha me too! That's exactly what I was thinking. Why does not having African-American characters have to be seen as rasism or discrimination? I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to. There IS going to be an African American lead in the upcoming Disney movie "The Princess and the Frog". She's the princess (the main character).

Well, think about it. Has there ever been a black disney princess?
More to the point, ever seen a black disney character?
Asides sun flower in fantasia.
Who was then cut out of the new version of the film and disney pretended she never existed...
Plus, how come Asians (Pakistani/ Indian) and Middle easterns are always portrayed as.... ugh, I can't even describe it.
Watch Aladin.
My Nine year old cousin felt offended by it without anyone saying anything to her.
(Maybe something to do with how the Saudi law system is presented, even we aren't that nuts...)

But seriously, how many people actually sit and watch a Disney movie and are like "Oh my god that was so racist!" "Wow, that was so sexist!" Are there some steriotypes in the movies? Sure, but I think that's only because they are targeted to a younger audience who may need to see things in black and white, but does that make the movie full-blown sexist or racist? I don't think so.

Ok...I've seen Aladdin millions of times. I still really don't understand what is so racist about it. Watching it again isn't going to help me understand. If you're reffering to the part where Jasmine almost gets her hand cut off...how is that offensive? The setting for Aladdin takes place in the middle ages, most cultures around that time probably did those things. If you steal something you get your hand cut off. It's really not that foreign of a concept. I know they did that stuff in Ancient Greece and Rome. Why would it be so surprising if they did it in Middle Eastern countries as well? I don't think the Saudi Arabian law system is nuts as you said...but the fact is, Aladdin took place A LONG TIME AGO. Those types of things happend all over the world (not just in Saudi Arabia) A LONG TIME AGO.

Plus, dumbo. I think now would be a great time to point out that the crows in dumbo were voiced by white guys trying (and failing) to do a black voice. Plus the lead was named "Jim Crow".
I am sureee that is enough evidence so far.

As for the crows in Dumbo...I've actually heard from quite a lot of people about that being "racist" and honestly, I haven't seen that movie in ages so I don't even really remember what the crows sound like or what they said. But regardless, that was made during the 40's...maybe the ideals of that time were somehow incorporated into the birds? That wasn't right by any means, but that was the time period and that's what people thought. I honestly don't remember what was said by the birds or anything though so don't quote me on that, but from what I can remember...didn't the birds encourage Dumbo to fly? Didn't they end up helping him? It's not like they were villians or anything. When you look at the whole picture, the birds were very important to the story of Dumbo. They helped him finally break out of his shell and fly back to his mother. Hmmm I really don't see anything deragatory in that.

And let us not forget the WE-ALL-LOVE-ONE-ANOTHER telling of the relations between the Caucasians and the Native Americans, a.k.a Pocahontas. They practically made her out to be a traitorous whore if you ask me...But that's just my opinion. The most important part about that story is the way they displayed history. It shouldn't have been made at all if they weren't going to tell the truth. And as a decendent of Native Americans, I find the movie highly offensive in that respect.

The one that gets me the most is when people start talking about Pocahontas. Ok, first of all, I have Native American ancestry. So when people say they were offended because it showed a peaceful existance between the Native Americans and the Europeans it's like...what the freaking hell? Why would anyone be offended by that? Ok so Disney didn't do an exact reinactment of what actually went down between the two cultures...probably a good thing too. Since it's a kids movie, why would the whole movie be about how the Native Americans and Europeans hated one another and all they did was wage war with eachother? Pocahontas was one of my favorite movies when I was younger and I thought it was great that there was a Disney movie that dealt with Native Americans. So why would anyone with Native American heritage be offended by it? When I learned in middle school and high school what the true relationship was between the Native Americans and the Europeans I wasn't like totally offended by the movie all of a sudden. Even though it's historically inaccurate I thought it was a great movie; there was a peaceful existance between two cultures...wow, how terrible.

*Sigh* If there's a movie full of white people it's racist, if there's a movie full of African-Americans it's racist. If there's a movie with asians/hispanics/middle easterns/native americans it's racist, and if there's none of them it's racist, it's racist if it's not historically correct. It's seems like people are just trying sooooo hard to make sure something is racist in every freaking movie. Same with sexism; if a woman is strong, independent, and defies social norms it's sexist, it's also sexist if she works/cooks/cleans or if she needs to be rescued by a prince. I say it again...people are looking wayyyyyy too hard to find something racist or sexist in these movies.

Edited by zcanby, 15 November 2008 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users