#1 Suzukaze Maikaru

Suzukaze Maikaru

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

POPULAR

(12-08) 20:26 PST San Francisco -- Since California voters approved Proposition 8 last month and repealed the right of gay couples to marry, initiative opponents have marched, held rallies and blocked intersections.
On Wednesday, they're asked to do something different: nothing at all.

Modeled loosely after the 2006 immigrant rights demonstrations, "Day Without A Gay" is scheduled for Wednesday and billed as "a nationwide strike and economic boycott" at www.jointheimpact.com, an organizational site for supporters of same-sex marriage.

In San Francisco, the day will be marked by a 6 p.m. rally and march in the Mission District. But local organizers say they don't expect all Prop. 8 opponents to "call in gay" and instead spend the day doing volunteer work, as some proponents urge.

"I'd like to take the whole day off myself, but it's not possible," said Ryan Rudnick, a pre-school teacher who also helped organize a Nov. 15 rally outside City Hall that attracted an estimated 7,500 supporters of same-sex marriage. "That's why we wanted to hold a rally and march in the evening, to show our support."

Like many actions in the five weeks since Prop. 8's passage with 52.3 percent of the vote, "Day Without a Gay" took shape informally.

The name was coined by Sean Hetherington, a personal trainer and comedian in West Hollywood who added the idea of doing volunteer work, rather than pursuing civil disobedience or other tactics.

The web site Hetherington created for the event, www.daywithoutagay.org, also offers a list of activities for people who don't feel able to walk off their jobs.

"With the economy the way it is, this isn't a time for not showing up at work and then perhaps not having a job," said Hetherington, who will spend the day teaching joke-writing at a school in the Los Angeles area. "We want people to go in and make whatever opportunity they can."

The San Francisco event will begin with a 6 p.m. rally outside the BART station at 24th and Mission streets, followed by a march north on Valencia Street.

As for the broader call of boycotts, Prop. 8 opponents say success or failure can't be measured by numbers.

"It's organic, it's visceral, it's grass roots and net roots," said State Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who spoke at the November rally at City Hall. "People are reacting in a very natural way to having their rights taken away by an unconstitutional proposition."

Leno's schedule Wednesday starts with a budget subcommittee on health and human service issues. "Though I'm respectful of the day," Leno said, legislative work comes first.

http://www.sfgate.co...;feed=rss.crime
Prop. 8 foes set 'Day Without a Gay' boycott
John King, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What do u guys feel about this? Do u think we can pass and have marriage equality?
as a bi man myself i'd love to call in gay (bi)
I think it is messed up how California paid more to pass Prop 8 than to make everyone equal

#2 laydee-zee92

laydee-zee92

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hang on, explain whats going on?
People are giving up work for a day I take it so that people can see what california is like without gays to prove thier point.
If thats it, I think it's good!
I'm bi myself to, so I would call in if I lived there :D

#3 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate non-asian BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

I support gay marriage and I find that the passing of prop eight is rediculious.
My gay friends cn't get married because of a RELIGIOUS belief? I thought America was where religion wasn't going to mold our way of life?
If we want to discriminate, why don't we just go back to the way we used to be and have blacks as slaves, shall we? (Im not being racist, I think all types of discrimination is wrong, weather it be based on race or sexuality).
So much for being the home of the 'free'.

If I have read correctly, this is a march for GAYS protesting prop 8.
If so, then I support it.

#4 Suzukaze Maikaru

Suzukaze Maikaru

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

RockWithMe192 yes this is for people who are against prop 8... Prop 8 is the BANNING of gay marriage. They phrased it so it would confuse people..

they want to prove non straights are people too and make up alot of the industry as well..

Like many ask

When can I vote on YOUR marriage??

#5 a_chan

a_chan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

I support them and it's awesome that they're standing up for their rights.

I support gay marriage whole heartedly and am proud to say that it is legal throughout all of New Zealand for the past 5 years (i think) and counting. Hopefully people in the US can receive the same treatment. Also isn't the arguement for that proposition 8 thing (sorry i don't really understand the American government, i havn't studied it or anything) anyway theere arguement is to protect the sanctity of marriage right? Doesn't that mean that divorce should also be illegal, and whatever criminal punishment for disregarding this law against gay marriage (if there is one) should also apply to infidelity?

Anyway again, I support them (from the other side of the world lol) and there are plenty other people here who feel the same. Yay for calling in gay!

#6 Shikabane Hime

Shikabane Hime

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

Didn't see the point of it. Might as well hold a 'date with a straight' day.

#7 Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

I have nothing against the homosexual or bisexual community.

But protests for only a day never do anything.

Like when in the US people tried to get everyone to not buy gas for a day.

It just doesn't work, you're going to have to buy gas at some point (at least in most cities because public transportation sucks... like where I live) or in this case, you're going to have to go to work at some point too. =]

#8 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

Cant say i support it, its not gonna change anything. Plus its not worthe someone losing there job over.

#9 Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Cant say i support it, its not gonna change anything. Plus its not worthe someone losing there job over.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Stuff like that just never works. =[

#10 hinachan

hinachan

Spending too much time online ^_^

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I still lived there. Both gay and straight people "called in gay". It's a publicity stunt to show the powers that be in California, that people support the gay community's right to be married.

Honestly, I don't see why Prop 8 won't be struck down in the courts. Many times, voters approve a proposition that's actually unconstitutional, and those props are killed in the courts.

Esp. when you consider that Prop 8's wording was deliberately confusing, that could affect its viability in the courts.

It's only a matter of time before gay marriage is considered just as ordinary as interracial marriage (which was once VERY forbidden!). People just have to keep up the good fight. :hug:

#11 Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

I dunno who else votes or can vote in this thread specifically, but I've always noticed that every one of the amendments I have to read at least ten times (no joke) to really understand what I'm voting for. I've only voted once, but when I was young I went with my dad and he would read them to me and ask what I thought. =]

They do it with every single one (and I'm in Alabama) so... it would be really really skewed with something as controversial as that.

I would have voted no for prop 8 had I lived in California.

#12 hinachan

hinachan

Spending too much time online ^_^

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

I dunno who else votes or can vote in this thread specifically, but I've always noticed that every one of the amendments I have to read at least ten times (no joke) to really understand what I'm voting for.

What I do is try to find information online, which explains (in plain English) what each proposition means, and how your vote will affect it. Also, when you see ads on TV (even if you don't agree with the views being expressed), check out their websites. Even the ones you disagree with will have information...and all you have to do is vote the opposite way. =/

#13 Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

Yeah. =] I'm just really cautious about what I read online, because they could be interpreting it incorrectly too.

But I eventually understand. Lol

#14 Tyler

Tyler

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

its just making a statement.
just trying to get their voices heard.

things work like that, little by little, and eventually things will change.

take slavery for example.
it took them TWO HUNDRED and some odd years to free the slaves.
but it still happened.

#15 selphiefairy

selphiefairy

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

Honestly, I don't see why Prop 8 won't be struck down in the courts. Many times, voters approve a proposition that's actually unconstitutional, and those props are killed in the courts.

well...

technicially prop 8 was meant to overrule the california supreme court decision in 2004 that prop 22 was unconstitutional...

yeah, you can pretty much predict that this thing is gonna go in circles for awhile... i hope that it'll end the right way.

Edited by selphiefairy, 03 January 2009 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users