96 replies to this topic

#91 kakalicious

kakalicious

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Backtracks are used by all artist especially for hard to sing parts, BoA still back tracks for that part in GoT where she does the YeeeeaaaH part lol. I don't consider singing to a backtrack lipsynching, because most of the time it's not really that loud, the mic is still way louder so u are showcasing the artist voice, it's kind of like singing with a safety net especially when you are dancing.
BoA hasn't lipsynched since 2005 and the GoT era except for Bad Drive and Sweet Impact. The reason she really lipsynched so much though was because in Korea it was widely accepted and approved of which is now less prevalent today. I remember BoA saying one of the hard adjustments about performing in Japan when she just debuted in her documentary was that they expect you to sing live and dance at the same time. When she was still releasing albums in Korea lipsynching was something that was expected and accepeted. But even then, she didn't lipsynch all her songs all the time, there's pretty much a live performance for every song she released. I definently consider her a live performer, and that's really her strength in my opinion. BoA is not at all a studio artist she's more of a performer. Utada is probably more of a studio artist which isn't a bad thing and that doesn't mean she can't sound great live, i just think she happens to shine more in the studio rather than on stage and vice versa for BoA.

Edited by kakalicious, 22 March 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#92 chibifry

chibifry

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Backtracks are used by all artist especially for hard to sing parts, BoA still back tracks for that part in GoT where she does the YeeeeaaaH part lol. I don't consider singing to a backtrack lipsynching, because most of the time it's not really that loud, the mic is still way louder so u are showcasing the artist voice, it's kind of like singing with a safety net especially when you are dancing.
BoA hasn't lipsynched since 2005 and the GoT era except for Bad Drive and Sweet Impact. The reason she really lipsynched so much though was because in Korea it was widely accepted and approved of which is now less prevalent today. I remember BoA saying one of the hard adjustments about performing in Japan when she just debuted in her documentary was that they expect you to sing live and dance at the same time. When she was still releasing albums in Korea lipsynching was something that was expected and accepeted. But even then, she didn't lipsynch all her songs all the time, there's pretty much a live performance for every song she released. I definently consider her a live performer, and that's really her strength in my opinion. BoA is not at all a studio artist she's more of a performer. Utada is probably more of a studio artist which isn't a bad thing and that doesn't mean she can't sound great live, i just think she happens to shine more in the studio rather than on stage and vice versa for BoA.

I totally agree. For example in Universe I think BoA sounds much better in her performance than she does in the actual song.

#93 lesliedubu

lesliedubu

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

yeah i agree with you too,
espeically about Korea back then when lipsynching was widely accepted

When i grew older and started to like US music I was surprised when people made such a big deal out of lipsynching because in Korea people knew the performers lipsynched and it was kind of expected
*i don't know how it is in korea anymore but that 's how it was when i was younger so around 2002? you know when shinhwa was really popular*

#94 shadow08

shadow08

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

yeah i agree with you too,
espeically about Korea back then when lipsynching was widely accepted

When i grew older and started to like US music I was surprised when people made such a big deal out of lipsynching because in Korea people knew the performers lipsynched and it was kind of expected
*i don't know how it is in korea anymore but that 's how it was when i was younger so around 2002? you know when shinhwa was really popular*

Well, I think it's important to consider that Korean artists on average perform a lot more frequently than Japanese & American artists. In Japan, BoA usually performs a released single like 4 times (Music Station, Music Japan, Heyx3, etc), and that's about it for promotion. In Korea, artists may do 3-4 performances per week EVERY WEEK for like 2-3 months. (ie: SNSD performed Gee like so many times since January and only recently retired the song..) It is very difficult to sing live every single time when you have that many performances crunched in a week. It takes a toll. Not to mention that Korean artists quickly follow up a single with a B-side single (후속곡), which they will also promote through many performances. Seriously, it's a lot of work.

---------------------------------

Back in the 90's, hardly anybody sang live in Korea; everyone wore those fake head microphones and lipsynced. There was a lot of controversy in Korea about this, but looking back, I sort of liked how things turned out. If there is one aspect about the Korean music industry that sets it apart from JPOP & CPOP is the strong emphasis on dancing. I believe that this was possible only because the lipsyncing culture in the 90's allowed for heavy dancing to flourish.

Around the late 90's, the music industry began to emphasize the importance of singing live. And whenever an artist was lipsyncing, they put a symbol of a tape spinning in the corner of the screen to show the TV viewers that it was not live. Korean artists began to adapt to singing live but, importantly, they did not forget the dancing culture that was so widespread during the early to mid 90's.

Since the early 2000's, singing LIVE is mandatory on 2 of the 3 main music programs (KBS Music Bank & MBC Music Core prohibit lipsyncing; SBS Inkikayo still allows it). And the cable music program Mnet Countdown allows lipsyncing too. Even during the GOT era, BoA always sang live in 2 out of the 3 main music programs (KBS & MBC) because it was required. She occasionally lipsynced in SBS Inkikayo & Mnet.

Edited by shadow08, 23 March 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#95 hahaxwill

hahaxwill

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Mang, anyone going to see Utada in LA tomorrow?

This has got to be the busiest Japanese in America week ever!!

Edited by hahaxwill, 24 March 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#96 SinnedBoA

SinnedBoA

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

I Like both of them , they both make amazing music & awesome voices , i wish them both the best in there ventures in the US market

it's like comparing beyonce and alicia keys

This ^ just says it all ,

#97 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Well, I think it's important to consider that Korean artists on average perform a lot more frequently than Japanese & American artists. In Japan, BoA usually performs a released single like 4 times (Music Station, Music Japan, Heyx3, etc), and that's about it for promotion. In Korea, artists may do 3-4 performances per week EVERY WEEK for like 2-3 months. (ie: SNSD performed Gee like so many times since January and only recently retired the song..) It is very difficult to sing live every single time when you have that many performances crunched in a week. It takes a toll. Not to mention that Korean artists quickly follow up a single with a B-side single (후속곡), which they will also promote through many performances. Seriously, it's a lot of work.

I would much rather have someone sing live in front of me than watch them perform,
Especially if I'm paying money for it. Buuttt---- 3-4 times a week for 2-3 months?
Looks like that's a surefire way to damage the hell out of your vocal chords O_O...

I guess its good for promotion, and in that sense they'd have to lip sync but...
I prefer if an artist just does what they can live instead of breaking themselves with that many performances.

But you also have to take into account bands that tour and sing live throughout the whole tour
(which is ANY rock band, and they scream a lot too, so they have their share of vocal straining)
And a lot of American artists. I don't know a whole lot about who lips and who doesn't in Japan.
I guess different people have their limits, but I would not pay to go to a show just to see them on stage.

I'm not so starstruck that all I want is their mere presence, I want to hear their voice if I'm paying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users