Photo

Languages Study?!?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: Your language(s) - Let's see the variety of languages in our BoAjjang forum! :D (166 member(s) have cast votes)

Which language(s) do you speak most fluently? (please pick exactly the language(s) you can speak well, not just study or speak a little bit, I leave it multiple choice because many can speak English but please be truthful, thanks!)

1. English (142 votes [38.80%])

Percentage of vote: 38.80%

2. Korean (22 votes [6.01%])

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

3. Japanese (24 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

4. French (16 votes [4.37%])

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

5. Spanish (22 votes [6.01%])

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

6. German (7 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

7. Chinese (47 votes [12.84%])

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

8. Italian (4 votes [1.09%])

Percentage of vote: 1.09%

9. Vietnamese (27 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

10. Tagalog (16 votes [4.37%])

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

11. Others (39 votes [10.66%])

Percentage of vote: 10.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 koreanboba

koreanboba

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• BoAjjang Subtitles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Here is something you guys won't believe.. to reinstate my previous post..

Most likely, this event will happen at any school..

If you go to a beginning japnaese class, you ask people to raise their hands to see who leanred japanese because of anime... You will get half or more of the class raise their hands. (in community college: you will get adults that take it for business or whatnot.. or for their gf/bf). as level progresses, the anime choosing population will decrease.. while the people who study the language because of the language will roughly stay the same..

#107 Yoonie

Yoonie

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm VNese so I speak VNese most fluently ^^
I'm learning E too but my E sucks (I think! LOL)

#108 a_chan

a_chan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Really the best way to learn a language is to live in or go on an extended exchange to the country that language you're trying to learn belongs to. But whatever Koreanboba is right in that everyone does learn languages different ways.

Lol though the anime choosing population statistics things aren't that surprising to me, most likely because i know people like that and the people that think they can learn Japanese just by watching anime

#109 kurobara478

kurobara478

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

@Koreanboba: hehe well you're right. everyone has their own way to learn a language. Yet I am still sticked with the idea of combining a class and self-study together. I want to be an ESL teacher for Asian people and I want to teach Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese as well, so of course I will teach in class :D.

I am not very fond of anime and I don't study Japanese from anime. Maybe just a few slang phrases or conversational words, but to really study Japanese, that is not a good idea. I study through books and native speakers so it's a logical learning technique instead of watching a cartoon.

I wish I could go to Japan and Korea like now. But I will in the future :lol:

I have one problem though. To learn a language, make friends with those who speak it fluently right? I have a lot of Japanese and Korean friends but still I cannot practice with any of them. The problem is they do not want to speak their languages with me, they keep speaking in English =___=;; *signs* And if I really find one who is really willing to help me (she is in BJJ too XD), she does not live around here TT.TT. Pretty tough~

#110 shinhryu

shinhryu

BoA* KNIGHT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

I have taken some Japanese class but never really got fluent with it. Still needs a lot of work on it.

Learn some mandarin when i was younger but never really excel in it or went higher level a lot of repeat throughout my life with high school too haha...

I want to try to pick up on some korean but not sure how that is if its too difficult.

Thank you for those great links kurobara

#111 kurobara478

kurobara478

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

^ you are very welcome shinhryu! ^^

By the way, I'm wondering how many people have signed up on sharedtalk.com? And whether the links I gave are useful for you guys~

I'm still looking for more really good websites to put on though~ this will take a while..

#112 air09

air09

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

I am thinking of study Chinese in China. But I have not find a good program yet. GOOD I mean a program that is have professional teachers, thoughtful customized curriculum, have interesting and fun activities, and the time could be flexible according to my schedule..

that's a lot...haha

Anyway, I am not kidding, if you have some suggestions, do let me know

many thanks..

#113 Ashley-Rose

Ashley-Rose

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

hi im new(im from canada)so i speek english but im trying 2 learn japanese

http://www.freedict....nldict/jap.html
(this helps u learn english and japanese)

http://www.japaneset...me-in-japanese/
(and this one's just kanda 4 fun it tells you what ur name is in japanese)

hope i could help! ^_^

Edited by Ashley-Rose, 17 May 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#114 miri44

miri44

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

I am thinking of study Chinese in China. But I have not find a good program yet. GOOD I mean a program that is have professional teachers, thoughtful customized curriculum, have interesting and fun activities, and the time could be flexible according to my schedule..

that's a lot...haha

many thanks..

Hey air,

Here is an institute Minds Abroad at Kunming, China http://www.mindsabroad.com/

I think they do have nice learning program packages. You can check them.

#115 stars-fantasy

stars-fantasy

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:49 AM

i know english and chinese. well, i'm chinese that's why. oh, actually i also know how to speak one of the chinese dialects - cantonese. so if i go hong kong, i can converse with people in cantonese as long as i speak slowly. lol.

#116 nickynisa

nickynisa

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

i'm from malaysia.. malay is my 1st language.. english is my 2nd language..
i took japanese class before this.. still learning katakana :)

#117 dayg0play

dayg0play

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

2)KBS World Radio: there are a few useful dialogs in Korean for you if you plan to travel to Korea. KBS is one of the biggest Korean radio station so it's reliable and correct.

yea i find that site really helpfull. it also helps you learn the proper way of writing in hangul which is awesome.

for me im only fluent in english and tagalog. tried taking some self taught classes online but the busy schedule didnt really worked for me. i really want to take foriegn language at a local school here but they dont teach korean only japanese =\

#118 Sal

Sal

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

Currently I'm going for a major in Japanese but it's super hard when you have no one to practice with. D: I envy those with friends in Japan.

I also want to teach myself Korean. At least I have a friend I can write/talk to with that but it'll be harder since I don't have someone teaching it to me. I only know basic words so far.

Thanks for the sites, though! They should come in handy :)

#119 kurobara478

kurobara478

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

wow I am surprised that some of you are still interested in this thread XD
I thought it is already forgotten :P

hi im new(im from canada)so i speek english but im trying 2 learn japanese

http://www.freedict....nldict/jap.html
(this helps u learn english and japanese)

http://www.japaneset...me-in-japanese/
(and this one's just kanda 4 fun it tells you what ur name is in japanese)

hope i could help! :lol:

Thank you for the sites! :D But the 1st one I've been there and actually it is not accurate. And there is no actual Japanese characters (Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji) so I think it is only for those who just want to learn Japanese speaking and listening, not writing and reading. Plus, some meanings are incorrect and vague. I have done some researches and I found out the errors and incorrection XD so I just want to let you know if you really want to learn Japanese, this website is not suggested. There are plenty of foreign language study websites but only very few are reliable and correct. The ones that I put in the 1st post guarantee to be very good sites to study!

that's a lot...haha

many thanks..

I found these websites very helpful especially for Chinese writing and reading:

1) Zhongwen

2) Mandarin Tools

If you want to learn how to speak and listen to Chinese, I think you'd better go find an actual Chinese friend and speak to them. Or try to watch Chinese videos, listen to Chinese songs since Chinese pronunciation is hard, you cannot just rely on those romaji characters to learn how to speak. That is my suggestion. Try to search on Youtube with "Chinese lessons" to see if there are any good videos there that teach Chinese.

Hope I help a little and have fun with your Chinese! :]

@dayg0play: glad to know :]
@Sal: hope those sites help you somewhat. they do help me a lot XD that's why I wanted to share them :)

#120 Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Sakura_Bunny_Chan

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

Well of course I speak English well. =]]

I took two advanced Latin courses in high school. It's not that great... I mean, it's hard to use it really since it's a dead language. For example, the best way for me to remember words and whatnot in a different language is to listen to foreign music. Well there isn't any music that actually has Latin in it.

It's a really hard language to learn if it's your first. There are 64 different ways to say "he," "she," or "it" in Latin. And we had to know them all. A lot of others in the class had already taken Spanish or French. That helped them out a lot, but it was my first language class.

Plus, there isn't any slang. XD You have to be really creative to even insult someone in Latin.

But I'm glad I learned it though. Whenever I hear any romance language now, I can usually get the general idea of what's going on especially with Italian.

I plan on taking Japanese in a year or so when I transfer to a four year university. Right now I'm just at a two year college and they only offer French, Spanish, and German.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users