#16 starsarang

starsarang

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

Book of Negroes was just beautiful.
If you are to read it, I hope you aren't offended by some of the mature content in the novel, because really, there is some "things" in the book that are explicit, sexually.
It is narrated by Aminata, as she goes through her content life in her little village of Bayo (Africa), as her parents are killed, and how she courageously drags herself through the horror of slavery and fights to become a free African once more.
Lawrence Hill is an amazing writer - so emotional and realistic!
Another one is The Book Thief by Mark Zusak.
An amazing book that makes you cry, smile, and well, everything!
Narrated by "Death", he watches this little girl Liesel as she lives through pre-war and wartime Germany, and has reading as an escape, when she lives with her foster parents that care for her greatly.
The length of the novel is worth it, beginning to end, trust me!
And maybe, if you`re into "olden speak", Shakespeare.
Although Romeo and Juliet are stupid in their desisions (I greatly dislike Romeo :| ), the literary style and the way Shakespeare uses metaphors are astounding.

@kabuto
I hope that was just a bad joke. Dx
Twilight, although it is a good concept, is not a good book.
There are so many books and series that are better than the Twilight saga! The plot has many holes, and the characters are very static.
Not realistic in my opinion.

Edited by starsarang, 21 May 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#17 dalilvietplaya

dalilvietplaya

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

I hope that was just a bad joke. Dx
Twilight, although it is a good concept, is not a good book.
There are so many books and series that are better than the Twilight saga! The plot has many holes, and the characters are very static.
Not realistic in my opinion.

I would have to agree with you there. I've read the Twilight series, and it wasn't that great. I couldn't understand what all the hype behind that book/series was about.

#18 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

^ Well, I mean, even though the storyline sucks,
If she had good writing skills it wouldn't be so bad.
But... She doesn't even have that : /

starsarang, I'm pretty sure Kabuto was joking.
(and hoping someone would take it seriously so he could lol)

#19 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

^I am a twilight fan but I will be the first one to admit that I for one agree that her writing isn't the best.
How-a-crazed-twilight-fan-would-respond: DO YOU WANNA DIE!?! :) Stephanie Meyer is da bestest wrtter in da hole wyde wurld! Twilight is my hole lyf N wurld!....I WANNA MARRIE EDWARD CULLEN!!!!
Cori: o.O...um...wtf?!
Crazed-twilight-fan: ::puts on yellow contacts and white powder:: OMG! I am jus lyke Edward N da other Cullens! We be family! I WILL BE A VAMPIRE SOME DAY!!!!! MWAHAHA!
Cori:...please, see a psycologist!!!!

I think the reason I can read the books and enjoy them is because I think I know what shes trying to say without actually having to read the words on the page. I read fanfiction ALL THE TIME and some people are horrible writters on there but I make their story sound good in my own head =P...

Twilight saga = published fanfiction
(fanfiction isnt bad, but its not nessarily professional)

As for must reads:
Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling (Not to sit there and praise JK and bring Stephanie down or anything, but I will be reading this series to my children and my childrens children...<3)
Anthem - Ayn Rand (I had to read this in school and I was the only student in my class that liked it, no, I loved it! Being rebellious and breaking all the rules = win!)
Holes - Louis Sachar (read the book, its better then the movie by far! I think I actually stole the book from my english teached...by accident >_>)
Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, Caeser, ect - William Shakespear (anything by Shakespear is just <3~)
Alice's adventures in wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll (I haven't completely finished this yet but I already find this book a favorite, its amazing his imagination and he thought of this whole story while on the river one day trying to keep two little girls quiet)

#20 s2_angel

s2_angel

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

^I am a twilight fan but I will be the first one to admit that I for one agree that her writing isn't the best.
How-a-crazed-twilight-fan-would-respond: DO YOU WANNA DIE!?! :lol: Stephanie Meyer is da bestest wrtter in da hole wyde wurld! Twilight is my hole lyf N wurld!....I WANNA MARRIE EDWARD CULLEN!!!!
Cori: o.O...um...wtf?!
Crazed-twilight-fan: ::puts on yellow contacts and white powder:: OMG! I am jus lyke Edward N da other Cullens! We be family! I WILL BE A VAMPIRE SOME DAY!!!!! MWAHAHA!
Cori:...please, see a psycologist!!!!

I think the reason I can read the books and enjoy them is because I think I know what shes trying to say without actually having to read the words on the page. I read fanfiction ALL THE TIME and some people are horrible writters on there but I make their story sound good in my own head =P...

(sorry for chopping some of your post RockWithMe192, hope you dont mind!)
you took the words right out of my mouth ! xD i'm also a twilight fan, but i agree that Stephanie Meyer could write better. even though i love the twilight saga, i must say it's a little overrated. but i still love reading them, because i, too, can see where she's trying to go with her story. i think that the fun of reading the books is being able to imagine things for youself in your own mind. :)

books i would recommend are:
- Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cun Xin : Autobiography about a poor boy in China during the Cultural Revolution, striving to become a dancer
- First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung: Autobiography about a young Cambodian girl trying to survive during the Khmer Rouge
- Saving Francesca and On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (I havent read these books for a while, so i cant really remember the storyline, but i really enjoyed these books)

cant really think of anymore at the moment, but i'll edit once i think of more

#21 shenjinapple

shenjinapple

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

I swear I was dumbfounded at the Twilight comment. o.O I would never classify it as "Literature worth reading" - maybe more of a "light reading guilty pleasure" thing.

I totally second the Time Traveller's Wife.
I can't be relied upon for literature which ranks up there with Great Expectations, however I do find a few best-sellers quite a worthy read, such as those of Jodi Picoult and Khaled Hosseini. Personally I find The Book Thief by Markus Zusak incredibly unforgettable too.

#22 starsarang

starsarang

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

^
Ahahaha, I read those cheesy romantic-teen novels my younger cousin buys x)
They aren't good, but I like to go back to certain parts once in a while as it's written in a way that sounds as if another teenager is "talking" to you 'n all...my guilty pleasure.....#e u e#(not to make myself sound as if I'm a loner who has no friends and life xD)

The Book Theif....
I think Mark Zusak was the one to push me into the world of writing novels.
His novel inspired me on so many levels.
I never look at the best sellers list, but, Edgar Sawtelle was an amazing book.
As well as the Harry Potter Series, and Book Theif.
Have you read the Messenger, by Mark Zusak as well?
The concept intruiged me, and I found it interesting.

#23 hesthia

hesthia

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Paulo coelho 'the zahir'...
this book is an obsession,.,., :
:lol:

#24 alexese

alexese

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is probably the craziest and greatest love story I've ever read.Both the hero and heroine are mad.What else could be better? :lol: The Centre Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks is also brilliant.It's her memoir about living with schizophrenia.Definitely worth reading.

#25 starsarang

starsarang

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

^Maybe I'll try to read Wuthering Heights again - people have been telling me it is a good novel.
I tried several years ago, but i could not get into it. x)

#26 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, Caeser, ect - William Shakespear (anything by Shakespear is just <3~)
Alice's adventures in wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll (I haven't completely finished this yet but I already find this book a favorite, its amazing his imagination and he thought of this whole story while on the river one day trying to keep two little girls quiet)

Totally reasonable, and true.
I'll admit to that, since I am also guilty of loving amateur fanfiction XD
I just think the craze got out of hand and that she's getting a lot of recognition she doesn't deserve. She didn't have to work all that hard to sell as much as skilled writers who have done a lot to get to where they are, and have much better conceptual ideas.
But yeah, I don't think its terrible if people enjoy reading it,
I just think they shouldn't be fooled into believing that's what literature is about.
Its good you know the difference :3

A girl I know was like, "What do you mean its not written good. It doesn't matter how you write a book, you just write down a story" I was actually like, appalled lmaooo.

&& Yesssss Macbeth is looooove.
"O FULL OF SCORPIONZ IS MY MINDDD, DEAR WIFE" :)
Hamlet is alright, and Romeo & Juliet kind of annoys me.
But no doubt Shakespeare is a genius, if you truly understand his work.

I found Lewis Carroll's Alice to be a great source of imagery and the like,
I went through a phase where all I used to do was draw Alice u__u
But at the same time I couldn't get through the book either,
Because it was too nonsensical to really keep me intrigued.
I like it though, because the theme has been revamped in so many ways~
(I personally think it wasn't for his niece/daughter/whatever she was,
I think he just had an LSD tab or something XDDD)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas style~~ haha

#27 tsukiyo

tsukiyo

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Bunny >D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

I tried staying away from what was already said, but if I repeat something, sorry jacq~

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom
The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons - Dan Brown [don't watch the movies!]
The Joy Luck Club & The Bone Collector's Daughter - Amy Tan [amazing writer, I havent read anything else by her though]
Memoirs of a Geisha - Authur Golden [overhyped but still a good book... just don't watch the movie]
Wicked - Gregory Maguire [really interesting... but really weird at the same time D: ]

I'm a Jane Austen fan... so anything by her!
Also if you havent read this already in school, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This was one of the books that i had to read two or three times to really appreciate. Most school books were :/ The Crucible by Authur Miller was a good play if you like reading plays. It's also one of those school books.

Everything else I have that wasnt mentioned is all chick lit or manga. I can list those if you really want me to ._.

#28 Kabuto

Kabuto

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

I would have to agree with you there. I've read the Twilight series, and it wasn't that great. I couldn't understand what all the hype behind that book/series was about.

What's the matter, too DEEP for you?

#29 --e n k y o r i*

--e n k y o r i*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Also if you havent read this already in school, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This was one of the books that i had to read two or three times to really appreciate.

Yesss. I also second this.
I read it twice and was captivated each time.

Its not the storyline that gets me, though it does have a lovely underlying theme,
But its just that every like Fitzgerald writes is posed perfectly, the words are more thought out than I've seen in most books I've read, they're all spun in such a beautiful way. He tells stories as though every mundane act means the world, but not in a cheesy annoying way...

Edited by --e n k y o r i*, 24 May 2009 - 05:37 PM.

#30 Sal

Sal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

@Kabuto - Please go read Dracula or something. Really. Twilight is not a classic. :|

I never took to Wuthering Heights. That book made me angry. XD Don't read Ethan Frome either. I almost fell asleep reading that. I could barely get to the next page. I only did because we had to in class -o- I would somewhat recommend Frankenstein. As hard a read as it was, it was fairly interesting.

As for non-classics... The Hot Zone is really cool if you like scientific stuff. It's really gross and whatnot but it was really interesting. And kind of scary too.

Another book I love is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's kind of a satire on religion in a way of how the world will end. It's hilarious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users