16 replies to this topic

#1 walkthroughme

walkthroughme

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

I made this topic over a year ago, but I think it got lost when the forum crashed.

Is anyone here a fan of Korean rock music? I remember when there was the thread about
Japanese rock and Korean rock, very few people could name any Korean rock artists other than the TRAX.
I believe one person even said they were the only group they had even heard of.
However, there is a lot of good Korean rock out there. I was even thinking of starting some sort of rotation
in the downloads section so that I could share some of my favourite artists for people who were curious about this genre.

Anyway, who are your favourite bands?
As for me, I really like:
Nell
Moon Hee Jun
Mary Story
My Aunt Mary
MoT
Monni
Zitten
and more.

Discusssss : )

#2 kurobara478

kurobara478

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

I know Sir Taiji (Seo Tae Ji) cuz my bf loves him but.. I don't.
I'm not into KRock. I love Rock actually and I even call myself a Rock Girl :) But KRock is just... not my kind of Rock. When I listen to it, I don't find the fire in it. When I listened to JRock, I became really into XJapan and Myv! I also like the GazettE and some of their songs. I just don't find anything like that in KRock. Maybe to me, Korean language just does not sound right with rock music. (Like Vietnamese and Chinese, the rap sounds weird...)
However, I like the Korean rock ballads. I think Korean sounds good with rap and slow songs. My thought~

As for now, American Rock is the best to me. Linkin' Park is my all-time legend and I am in love with songs from Aerosmith, Green Day, Evanescence, 3 days Grace etc.

KRock, maybe I have not listened to enough songs yet.

Edited by kurobara478, 27 May 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#3 walkthroughme

walkthroughme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

I know Sir Taiji (Seo Tae Ji) cuz my bf loves him but.. I don't.
I'm not into KRock. I love Rock actually and I even call myself a Rock Girl :) But KRock is just... not my kind of Rock. When I listen to it, I don't find the fire in it. When I listened to JRock, I became really into XJapan and Myv! I also like the GazettE and some of their songs. I just don't find anything like that in KRock. Maybe to me, Korean language just does not sound right with rock music. (Like Vietnamese and Chinese, the rap sounds weird...)
However, I like the Korean rock ballads. I think Korean sounds good with rap and slow songs. My thought~

As for now, American Rock is the best to me. Linkin' Park is my all-time legend and I am in love with songs from Aerosmith, Green Day, Evanescence, 3 days Grace etc.

KRock, maybe I have not listened to enough songs yet.

I really like Seo Taiji. He's not one of my favourites, but I have mad respect for him for what he does.

In my opinion, a lot of Japanese rock is more focused on the visual aspects. That's fine, but a lot of times
the actual music gets overlooked. When I listen to it, I don't feel anything special. However, I really enjoy
Korean rock. No band has ever given me the feeling that Nell has. Also, I find that Korean rock is somewhat
similar to North American and European rock music. I don't know, Korean soft rock is the top for me. I think
the language sounds absolutely beautiful with the alternative style of music, but to each his own : )

What bands have you heard?~

#4 BonaFideLove

BonaFideLove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

There are so many awesome kick-ass bands out there. I kinda like that the whole rock scene is underground and not so mainstream in Korea. Makes them more special to me. ;]

I love Holymarsh, VASSLINE, Hollow Jan, Schizo, 49 Morphines, Rocket Diary, My Aunt Mary, etc.

God, I would do anything to see any of them live. :[

#5 tofur

tofur

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:37 PM

I would just like to say that I wish that TRAX would come back.

Anyways, Nemesis.

#6 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:38 PM

Not sure they count as "K-Rock" but Cherry Filter is definitely one of my favourite bands, and you should check them out if you like female leads. I also love Moon Hee Jun and I'm glad to see he's getting a little bit of love and acknowledgment.

#7 Sal

Sal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

Cherry Filter
MoT
Vanilla Unity
No Brain

Would W&Whale count? lol They're kind of pop/ballady but also kind of rockish?

I wish Rock was more popular in Korea D:

#8 tsukiyo

tsukiyo

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Bunny >D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

These guys are relatively new, but I think Happy Face [ex-iM members] are kind of going for a rock meets rap type thing. BoYe is good. FTisland are like... poprock... D:

JiSun is a favorite of mine. She's kind of more ballady than rock though. Same goes for her former band Loveholic. Evan, an ex-Sechskies member is kinda ballad meets rock too.

Everything else I know was mentioned. Koreans aren't really rock people :/
<333 Nell!

#9 KanJi

KanJi

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

I really like Seo Taiji. He's not one of my favourites, but I have mad respect for him for what he does.

In my opinion, a lot of Japanese rock is more focused on the visual aspects. That's fine, but a lot of times
the actual music gets overlooked. When I listen to it, I don't feel anything special. However, I really enjoy
Korean rock. No band has ever given me the feeling that Nell has. Also, I find that Korean rock is somewhat
similar to North American and European rock music. I don't know, Korean soft rock is the top for me. I think
the language sounds absolutely beautiful with the alternative style of music, but to each his own : )

I'm with you there. I'm not too into the harder forms of Korean rock (but, then, I'm also not generally into the harder forms of rock with a few exceptions), but Korean fits soft rock amazingly well. Nell are amazing, whether in their music, overall sound, or lyrics, and I have yet to find a band that stirs the same emotions they do.

That said, Seo Taiji is definitely my favourite in rock. I can't claim to like every song he's created, but I love how intricate and thought out his music is, especially as of late.

As for other Korean bands ... MoT and Monni are favourites as well for obvious reasons -- MoT's sound is so ... chilling and distant, I love it. Dear Cloud I also like a lot. And Huckleberry Finn, Butterfly Effect, and Vodka Rain. In the more indie scene, Jang Giha and the Faces tickle me pink. :3 Guckkasten is growing on me fast, too ... amongst others.

#10 walkthroughme

walkthroughme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:32 AM

I'm with you there. I'm not too into the harder forms of Korean rock (but, then, I'm also not generally into the harder forms of rock with a few exceptions), but Korean fits soft rock amazingly well. Nell are amazing, whether in their music, overall sound, or lyrics, and I have yet to find a band that stirs the same emotions they do.

That said, Seo Taiji is definitely my favourite in rock. I can't claim to like every song he's created, but I love how intricate and thought out his music is, especially as of late.

As for other Korean bands ... MoT and Monni are favourites as well for obvious reasons -- MoT's sound is so ... chilling and distant, I love it. Dear Cloud I also like a lot. And Huckleberry Finn, Butterfly Effect, and Vodka Rain. In the more indie scene, Jang Giha and the Faces tickle me pink. :3 Guckkasten is growing on me fast, too ... amongst others.

Yes! I agree with pretty much every single thing you said : )
Nell captivates me. There is one part of the re-arranged version of 백색왜성 that I always zone out in. It blows my mind; Jongwan's voice is so powerful.

One thing about Seo Taiji is that he does have a lot of variety. I am really obsessed with Heffy End and Bermuda Triangle right now.

Wow, you like Jang Gi Ha and the Faces? I only know, like, one person besides me who does : D And Guckkasten is growing on me, too.
At first some of their composition sounded weird to me, but the melodies of their songs and the vocals are really great. It's infectious.

MoT is super depressing. I love their music, but it has this aura of sadness. It gives me goosebumps sometimes.

I never really got into Dear Cloud. Some of their songs are really good, and I love the vocals but...idk. Maybe I should try them out again.

Not sure they count as "K-Rock" but Cherry Filter is definitely one of my favourite bands, and you should check them out if you like female leads. I also love Moon Hee Jun and I'm glad to see he's getting a little bit of love and acknowledgment.

In my experience a lot of fans overlook Heejun as a rock artist (and in general) because he was the leader of H.O.T.
It's a common joke among my friends to imply that he has no 'rock-cred' because he was an idol.
But, I think his music is amazing. I always love his melodies : )
I'm glad to see someone else who loves him, too~

Edited by Milktea*, 29 May 2009 - 01:45 AM.

#11 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

Seo Taiji is a good one. But another good one is MC the MAX, although they do rock, they also can have a softness in their music which I think not many people can have.

Give them a try, my favorite song by them is Return.

#12 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

Composer/Songwriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Wonder if there are any Korean hard rock/metal bands? Personally, I find Seo Taiji much too tame for my taste. The Trax initially started with that screamo style then phased out into a much weaker and less aggressive form of conventional alternative pop rock/ballad singing before they faded into obscurity...

#13 KanJi

KanJi

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

^ I'm not too into hard rock or metal, but I know of Vassline -- a metal band that a lot of metal fans seem to like. Not sure if you might have heard them before. Their drummer is currently drumming for Seo Taiji, in fact -- I think Top (his guitarist) played for Vassline before, too.

Yes! I agree with pretty much every single thing you said : )
Nell captivates me. There is one part of the re-arranged version of 백색왜성 that I always zone out in. It blows my mind; Jongwan's voice is so powerful.

One thing about Seo Taiji is that he does have a lot of variety. I am really obsessed with Heffy End and Bermuda Triangle right now.

Wow, you like Jang Gi Ha and the Faces? I only know, like, one person besides me who does : D And Guckkasten is growing on me, too.
At first some of their composition sounded weird to me, but the melodies of their songs and the vocals are really great. It's infectious.

MoT is super depressing. I love their music, but it has this aura of sadness. It gives me goosebumps sometimes.

I never really got into Dear Cloud. Some of their songs are really good, and I love the vocals but...idk. Maybe I should try them out again.

Jang Giha and the Faces deserve so much more love. D: They're so quirky and awesome. Definitely agree about Guckkasten (I still have issues typing that out, lol) -- their music comes together really nicely, and, yeah, he has great vocals. Probably one of the few rock vocalists whose voice I actually really like. Jongwan's hands down my favourite, though -- I love how different his voice is and how emotive it is. Man, I miss Nell. T_______T

Oh man, MoT. I think I listened to them after Nell, and I'd been thinking that Nell were pretty depressing -- then MoT came along, and Nell became cheerful. lol

Taiji definitely has the variety down; I love how he's always changing and just doing his own thing. AH, "Heffy End" -- love!

Dear Cloud, I'll admit, I think I like more because I really love her voice. To be completely honest, I think a lot of their music sounds the same, though, with some great songs here and there that really stand out, but I just love her voice. There's something very raw and rich about it that my ear seems to like a lot.

Korea, I think, has a pretty cool indie scene, though it's a pity rock isn't more popular. X:

#14 walkthroughme

walkthroughme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Jang Giha and the Faces deserve so much more love. D: They're so quirky and awesome. Definitely agree about Guckkasten (I still have issues typing that out, lol) -- their music comes together really nicely, and, yeah, he has great vocals. Probably one of the few rock vocalists whose voice I actually really like. Jongwan's hands down my favourite, though -- I love how different his voice is and how emotive it is. Man, I miss Nell. T_______T

Oh man, MoT. I think I listened to them after Nell, and I'd been thinking that Nell were pretty depressing -- then MoT came along, and Nell became cheerful. lol

Taiji definitely has the variety down; I love how he's always changing and just doing his own thing. AH, "Heffy End" -- love!

Dear Cloud, I'll admit, I think I like more because I really love her voice. To be completely honest, I think a lot of their music sounds the same, though, with some great songs here and there that really stand out, but I just love her voice. There's something very raw and rich about it that my ear seems to like a lot.

Korea, I think, has a pretty cool indie scene, though it's a pity rock isn't more popular. X:

They really do. I love the performances of 달이 차오른다, 가자 : ) He looks so serious all the time, too. It's so fun. I agreeee, nothing tops
Jongwan's voice for me. There are times when I just get chills; he really transfers emotions when he sings. I miss them, too! It seems like so long to wait...

Same here, ha. I didn't think anything could be more depressing than Nell, then MoT came along...

I really love 얼음요새, but none of Dear Cloud's songs stood out to me. I want to like them, but it's all pretty mediocre, imo. But, that voiceee :(

I agree, I haven't heard a lot of indie bands. But, from the ones that I have heard, they are really good.

#15 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

Composer/Songwriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

^ I'm not too into hard rock or metal, but I know of Vassline -- a metal band that a lot of metal fans seem to like. Not sure if you might have heard them before. Their drummer is currently drumming for Seo Taiji, in fact -- I think Top (his guitarist) played for Vassline before, too.

COOL (^__^)! Thanks for the recommendation :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users