My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

POPULAR

First, some formalities.

monogamy
• noun the state of having only one husband, wife, or sexual partner at any one time.

polygamy
• noun the practice or custom of having more than one wife, husband or sexual partner at the same time.

In my naivete, I was not even aware of how common polygamy was in western countries, that it was mostly something we saw in Islamic countries. Of course in western countries it's not THAT common, since marriage has legal technicalities, but that doesn't stop people from having multiple boyfriends/girlfriends, or having a boyfriend/girlfriend in ADDITION to having a wife/husband.

I'm curious, what do you guys feel about people that are polygamous? I find them rather unsettling, it greatly bothers me that if they fancied my girl, they wouldn't have any reservations whatsoever about hooking up with her even if they knew we were an item and we were both monogamous. I understand that that's just their way, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't feel that comfortable with them.

And if anyone here is polygamous...what do you think about us monogamous types?

#2 Landwand

Landwand

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Polygamy is dangerous.

It's all and well if all partners are well aware and participate in healthy practices -- but that is an ideal situation. Jealousy, favourtism -- or even children not knowing who their real parents are are some concerns that I put forth. Add to that the plethora of mutating STI/STDs that run rampant even in our (somewhat) advanced society... I think that wide spread polygamy is just a Pandora's Box waiting to be opened.

If pregnancy and disease were possible to be really controlled (to the point in not being a factor) polycamy _could_ work in a society built to tolerate it - something like the society in the novel "Brave New World".

#3 tikaluph

tikaluph

ALL I WANT IS SOMETHING NEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have to make it clear.
♣ Polygamy --> 1 husband with more than 1 wive.
♣ Polyandry --> 1 wive with more than 1 husband.

bcuz I live in Indonesia, and most of them are moslem, so polygamy is really familiar to me.
OK. in polygamy, you can have max 4 wives. and if u wanna marry again, you have to get permit from old wive.
I just know that.

but, I think polygamy isnt fair for girl at all. we must share our husband to other girl.
OH MAN! I cant imagine that.
I just want monogamy. maybe it sounds naive, but monogamy is way better.

Edited by tikaluph, 06 March 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#4 Suzukaze Maikaru

Suzukaze Maikaru

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

I feel polygamy is too dangerous on more than one level.

the risk of catching diseases, even if you are honest with your "primary" partner does not mean your other partners will be honest with you

and feelings can always get involved. having sex can bring along more than just the physical aspect.

#5 bluetory

bluetory

Who's BoA?

• BoAjjang Subtitles
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Polygamy, to me, is like a legal way to commit adultery.
Its way more open to where wives know their husbands are sleeping with more than one person
and not just sitting at home suspecting it and then going nuts when its revealed.

In such countries when its the men who do all the work, raise all the money, and basically have the power over the whole family, of course it will be deemed acceptable for them to marry more than one women, they made those rules. And this can date back as far as Kings and their mistresses.

No matter what or who, there is always bad tensions among wives and mistresses. And then their kids because normally the first wife and the children she bore are always treated better.

Yes, this is all very very bad, and the whole world should be monogamistic. But then you have husbands who cheat on their wives with their secretaries and have illegitimate children (sorry, cliche storyline) and you understand that marriages and love and lust will never be perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users