#1 pavle

pavle

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:23 AM

POPULAR

Western democracy and liberalism has been portrayed in the world as the goal that all countries should reach and that it gives the opportunities every race, sex and religion. It promotes this so called free speech where anyone can voice their opinion and have a platform for them to have their ideas. Many people have lost their lives in this strive for global western-style democracy and have turned formerly stable states to failed states with very uncertain futures, such as Iraq. Maybe some places function better under their system. Does democracy really work where you have many cultures with many vested interests? Does democracy work in nations where religion dominates daily life? Can it work?

A very interesting video by former Malaysian Prime Minister

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I would appreciate to hear the views of others on this subject

#2 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

I believe that we shouldn't force democracy down every country's throat, as they will most likely retaliate, like Iraq. That created a huge mess, and I do agree that they were better off left alone. It seems like we're sticking our noses in everyone else's business without being asked to, and we're creating unnecessary problems. Sure, democracy seems ideal, and most people want it, but there are some people in any country who don't want it, even if they already have it. (Btw, I am talking from my perspective from America). I totally agree with you that some places function under their own system. Every country doesn't have to operate the same way, and in a way it's kind of contradictory to democracy itself! I'm really not sure if it can work or not... maybe in the long run, but in the end, we can't force everyone to accept something that they may not want or find offensive.

#3 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

What do you mean by Western-style democracy?

ALL types of democracy promote free speech and voice their opinion.

Democracy comes from the Greek word Demos (People) and Kratos (Power)

There's many types of democracy, there's no such thing as "Western-style democracy."

The majority of countries are democratic.

United Kingdom - Constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system (democratic)
Canada - Constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system (democratic)
Japan - Constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system (democratic)
Malaysia - Federal constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system (democratic)
Philippines - Unitary Republic
United States - Federal Republic

Tons more if I listed them all.

Probably 90% of the world would be under the democracy category.

Basically: Any country that holds elections, where the PEOPLE have the POWER to choose their leader is a democracy.

Democracy can work in all countries, it depends on which type and how they handle it. It's all up to the people.

EDIT:

Does democracy really work where you have many cultures with many vested interests?

Yes. I feel democracy works in multicultural countries. It all depends on the type of democracy. Maybe look at Switzerland for example, their form of government is a form of democracy. They don't have a president, or prime minister.

Switzerland has a a Federal Council that leads the country and ensures that all the people are represented in the government. Eliminating prejudice/biased if it was under one leader.

Does democracy work in nations where religion dominates daily life? Can it work?

Democracy can work, as long as the religion does not interfere with the matters of the state.

In democracy, the Church (or other religion) is separate from the State. The laws of democratic nation is not based upon a religion but rather for what is best for everyon for every religion. The Church (or other religion) cannot interfere with the affairs of the State. A State that is dictated by a religion is a corrupted democracy.

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 31 May 2010 - 12:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users