Photo

Do you use fictional characters as role models?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

POPULAR

This thread would probably do fine in the lounge, but I think it's the Serious Discussions people who would enjoy this most.

I have a few real life role models. Famous people in popular media like Donnie Yen, Bruce Lee, BoA etc - famous people who aren't in popular media like Tim Ferriss (of the 4 Hour Work Week), Chris Gardner (played by Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness)...

And then there are my fictional role models. Light Yagami of Death Note, Tony Stark of Iron Man, etc.

I try to emulate what a lot of my role models do. Learn from and improve on the best, they say. What might be slightly dangerous is comparing myself to the achievements of these fictional characters, like beating myself up for not achieving in 24 years what Light Yagami had in 17 years. I feel somewhat worse for doing so, but also empowered. This might sound cheesy, but I especially like that fictional role models often have their own theme music - music I cna listen to and feel emboldened by, like they're looking over my shoulder to make sure I really am trying to replicate their success properly.

I don't think this is "strange" behaviour, but I just wonder if any other BoAjjangers do the same? And how do they emopwer you? For those who don't have fictional role models...any reason why not? Do you think what I'm doing is strange, or even dangerous?

#2 pavle

pavle

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

Chris Gardner is actually a real person...

#3 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

I know, I listed Chris Gardner with the real people. Tim Ferriss is also a real person. http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/

#4 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate non-asian BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

Um, kinda.
I kinda look up to the Harry Potter trio from the Harry Potter books =)

#5 pavle

pavle

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:55 AM

I know, I listed Chris Gardner with the real people. Tim Ferriss is also a real person. http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/

Hard to believe how one's life can change by something so small. Good movie anyways :thumbsup:

#6 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hard to believe how one's life can change by something so small. Good movie anyways :thumbsup:

Hmm? Are we thinking of the same person? Chris Gardner is my hero because I hate the advice "Just put your mind to it and you can achieve anything." While this is true, it does not tell you the whole truth - if you want anything, and I mean ANYTHING that is of real awesome value, you will not just have to strive for it, you will constantly be knocked back by problems and hurdles and through all the pain, you must get up, over and over again. Chris Gardner's story is one such story that I really admire.

#7 pavle

pavle

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hmm? Are we thinking of the same person? Chris Gardner is my hero because I hate the advice "Just put your mind to it and you can achieve anything." While this is true, it does not tell you the whole truth - if you want anything, and I mean ANYTHING that is of real awesome value, you will not just have to strive for it, you will constantly be knocked back by problems and hurdles and through all the pain, you must get up, over and over again. Chris Gardner's story is one such story that I really admire.

I mean the part where he saw the rich umlungu in the ferari and wanted to become a stock trader. He said that actually happened to him, just as shown in the movie.

#8 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

I've never looked up to a celeb or fictional character, I only have 1 person I look up to they may not be the greatest person but they there an amazing role model in my eyes. Personally I believe anyone who has a good heart, uses there head and respects the laws is someone people should be looking up to.

#9 your_sunshine

your_sunshine

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

I always looked up to Yuna from Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2, for her heart was very strong, and she always helped others in need. And no matter how hard she tried to change, she never could stop helping people, lol.

#10 Raul

Raul

Thunder Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

Both fictional and real people for me :lol:

I've learned alot from Naruto (yes seriously) and Utada Hikaru :(

#11 iDidItForBoA

iDidItForBoA

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

SAILOR MOON! ^^

#12 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

This thread would probably do fine in the lounge, but I think it's the Serious Discussions people who would enjoy this most.

I have a few real life role models. Famous people in popular media like Donnie Yen, Bruce Lee, BoA etc - famous people who aren't in popular media like Tim Ferriss (of the 4 Hour Work Week), Chris Gardner (played by Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness)...

And then there are my fictional role models. Light Yagami of Death Note, Tony Stark of Iron Man, etc.

I try to emulate what a lot of my role models do. Learn from and improve on the best, they say. What might be slightly dangerous is comparing myself to the achievements of these fictional characters, like beating myself up for not achieving in 24 years what Light Yagami had in 17 years. I feel somewhat worse for doing so, but also empowered. This might sound cheesy, but I especially like that fictional role models often have their own theme music - music I cna listen to and feel emboldened by, like they're looking over my shoulder to make sure I really am trying to replicate their success properly.

I don't think this is "strange" behaviour, but I just wonder if any other BoAjjangers do the same? And how do they emopwer you? For those who don't have fictional role models...any reason why not? Do you think what I'm doing is strange, or even dangerous?

your own theme music? emulating an anime character? you sound quite challenged my good man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users