#1 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

Hello! I just applied for city college online, and I'm probably just going to go for my GED right now. But my problem is... I don't know what I want to do! Like, what career to go into, you know? I am interested in many things, but I just have absolutely no idea what I want to do. I want to take an assessment test, but I hear that they're not always accurate.

I am also hesitant to choose a career because I don't want to choose something that I will end up not liking one day, and that I will waste all of my college education and time on something that I don't like to do, and that by that time it will be too late to change. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this, and any advice for me on this?

Thanks so much!

#2 Yabisi

Yabisi

Robot BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

You can remain undecided and just take your mandatory classes until you figure out what you want to do. That way when you do figure out what you want to do, you can just go right into the courses required for what you're majoring in, and other electives that you're interested in.

And yea, be careful about what you choose. I know people who have chosen careers that don't make as much as what they could have done, but they like it so the money doesn't really matter much to them. It's good to get into a career that will always be in high demand, like being a nurse for example.

#3 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, that's very true, I was just going to complete my GED classes until I decided. I just hope that I will know what I want to do when I complete them. It is very hard to consider what a good career said. Like high demand, good money (as you said), and a job that I will actually like. And I know it may sound dumb, but some jobs kind of feel like "Whoa, I could never be good enough to do *that*".

I guess another question would be, when you're choosing, do you first start your list beginning with what your interests are?

#4 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hello! I just applied for city college online, and I'm probably just going to go for my GED right now. But my problem is... I don't know what I want to do! Like, what career to go into, you know? I am interested in many things, but I just have absolutely no idea what I want to do. I want to take an assessment test, but I hear that they're not always accurate.

I am also hesitant to choose a career because I don't want to choose something that I will end up not liking one day, and that I will waste all of my college education and time on something that I don't like to do, and that by that time it will be too late to change. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this, and any advice for me on this?

Thanks so much!

Before we continue...do you do anything already that you're obsessed about? This may seem silly, but before college, I used to stay up all night many nights doing web designs - fan websites - of anime I like. Reading up on design from books in the library and tutorials online while my friends had their school holidays and such. It never occurred to me that I could have taken this further with a uni course - I was stupid, I followed my friends into a scientific uni where art and design is looked down on.

This kind of passionate obsession is definitely something to make a career out of. So, have any passions already?

#5 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, I do have some weird passions. I am obsessed with languages. How they sound, how they're structured, how some languages are similar... I could go on. I'm a weirdo about that. Which is why I loves BoA so much :ph34r: She is so talented and can speak and sing in so many languages, and she sounds beautiful in them all!

I also am good at writing and being creative, like art. But I find I am lazy and unmotivated a lot. Like I haven't found anything to aspire to be. I love languages to death, I just don't know what to do with my passion. I only speak a little Spanish, and that's a little rusty. And I find it's really hard to learn and become fluent. Even though I took four consecutive years of Spanish in Middle School and High School, I could never be fluent...

But yeah, I just don't know where to go from here. I feel so lost, and like I couldn't make it in college. I went to Fresno City a couple years ago for like a month, but I ended up dropping out.

*Oh, totally unrelated, but I love your signature, Kung Fu Hung-Su :lol:

Edited by briannafifield, 27 June 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#6 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, I do have some weird passions. I am obsessed with languages. How they sound, how they're structured, how some languages are similar... I could go on. I'm a weirdo about that. Which is why I loves BoA so much :ph34r: She is so talented and can speak and sing in so many languages, and she sounds beautiful in them all!

I also am good at writing and being creative, like art. But I find I am lazy and unmotivated a lot. Like I haven't found anything to aspire to be. I love languages to death, I just don't know what to do with my passion. I only speak a little Spanish, and that's a little rusty. And I find it's really hard to learn and become fluent. Even though I took four consecutive years of Spanish in Middle School and High School, I could never be fluent...

But yeah, I just don't know where to go from here. I feel so lost, and like I couldn't make it in college. I went to Fresno City a couple years ago for like a month, but I ended up dropping out.

*Oh, totally unrelated, but I love your signature, Kung Fu Hung-Su :lol:

Hmm, if you want to pursue a career which favours language fluency, you'll almost definitely have to move overseas. There's no demand for that here in Australia really, but there's loads in say, Japan, where native English fluency is very valuable - combined with a degree in law or engineering you have a guaranteed high paid career path.

If you can't move overseas...and you want to study to find a career path...then languages is probably not an option. Except perhaps, picking up a diploma in Education and teaching languages in schools?

I'm supposed to be at work now haha, I might write more up later.

Glad you like my siggy haha! Started with an initial idea and spend half an hour tweaking it. I think I can improve the colour...but I'll do that later. :]

#7 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

lol ok, that's fine! Well here in the wonderful Central Valley of California (said sarcastically, of course... here, where the temperature is 103 degrees and rising xD) there is a lot of need for translators for Spanish people. Like a TON. And I think the FBI needs translators too? And courts, like to translate to the defendants what everyone is saying. And of course subtitles for TV and such. I just don't know exactly what I want to do, or even where I should start. I find it really hard to start something new, but once I get going I pwn XD

But but but... I am so lost right now and have no idea what I want to be. I could learn Japanese, move to Hawaii, and translate for them there xD There are so many Japanese tourists there like everyone needed to know it.

I shall write more later, my baby calls ~

And yeah, your siggy is so awesome! I like the font style and like how they're positioned and stuff. Very awesome!! :ph34r:

#8 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate non-asian BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

This might be reassuring. I took a year and a semester off between high school and college. I just started going to classes in January and I have NO idea what I want major in. @_@!
I plan to become an English teacher in Korea, so a lot of people have been telling me to major in English or Education because of that, but the thing is, you can really major in anything to become an teacher over there, as long as you have a bachelors degree from an English speaking country. So I want to choose something that I am interested in, something that I will easily pass and...um...stay awake in xD!
In South Carolina, you have to choose your major by sophomore year, so I have to decide by January. At the moment, I have thought about art, however, art is a VERY expensive major and I really am not THAT great at drawing, im just good at painting and graphic design.
So at the moment I am looking at Psychology. I took it in high school and I loved it, but I don't want to pick it until I take a class of it in actual college =X.

Test out some classes that interest you, as well as get the required out of the way. You never know if you'll fall in love with something like learning sign language and being an interpreter or teaching young children.

#9 foreverfriends

foreverfriends

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

T^T.My biggest problem now is the same as yours.I don't know which way to go.I read many books about jobs but I still don't get what job suits me most.I'm not into anything.I did something like a test to figure it out but my result is not clear(the test is to find out which groups of jobs that fits you but my score in evry part is almost equal).

I don't really have a feel about my future job.

At school,I'm a good student(a bit self-conceiting to say I'm one the best).But my score for every subject is almost equal too.I'm not sure at which subject I can do better.

I will go to college next year.I really worry.

Anyway,my parents said to me that though I hadn't found my way,I have to continue working hard,so until the day I found it,I would be qualified enough to do anything,go everywhere I wanted.

#10 MrP

MrP

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

Choose a general program that you are interested in pursuing, at the same time, be practical about your choices to ensure you'll be employable when you graduate. Honestly questions like this are very common, "I don't know what kind of job I want" but sometimes you just gotta let life flow and eventually you will find what you are looking for. It's great to have a goal career but what I'd really suggest is trying different jobs, attend career fairs, see what jobs interest you.

Whatever you do, don't be like me and apply for a program that you are unsure of because of peer pressure or such. I learned that the hard way---I paid to be in an insurance program and one year later I'm trying to transfer out because it's so DAMN BORING!

#11 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I plan to just get the classes that are required, the general ed stuff. Like English and something else, I'm not sure, it's been a while. When I last went to college, I did take a college class, but I hated it to death because all of the people who were in it were natural speakers of Spanish, like it was their first language, and it really ruined it for me. The teacher thought that everyone should be at their level and people like me, who aren't very good still, were left behind. It was really unfair and I didn't learn anything. I'm hesitant to go back to college for that reason, and because it's a community college, and most of the people there aren't really serious about being there so that ruins the environment as well.

But but but... I do need to get an education to support me and my baby. If I do end up divorcing, I don't want to end up depending on other people. I want to provide for myself and my girl :ph34r:

I guess I will try to take another Spanish class and give it another try, because I do love languages so much!!! <3 Like I can't even tell you how obsessed I am with them xD I just hope I can figure out what I want to do before too long... so I can begin to work towards it.

Thanks for all of your advice, everyone!! It really helped a lot :lol:

#12 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

I'll say again for the peope who are saying "I don't know what I wanna do" - I didn't know I wanted to be a web designer, until I started doing web design. How could I have possibly known I wanted to do web design before I started?

You can't know what you wanna be, until you start doing stuff. You get passionate about something when you start winning and being good at it.

Go do languages :] Make lots of friends, and pay attention to what they're gunna do with their degrees, and you can maybe do the same. It's good that you'd be willing to move for the sake of a job...but hold on, aren't you married?

#13 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

You're right Kung Fu, I will have to test things out to find out. I just have no idea what to test xD Yes, I am still legally married, but I might get divorced soon. We have been estranged (separated) for a while now, and I might make it final (long story...).

I'm just afraid I'll take forever trying to pursue my career in college and that I won't catch on to what I'm learning >.<; I don't know if I'm overthinking it, or if it's just normal to feel this way :ph34r:

#14 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

You already know what to test - a course in some language, and you'll probably have to rapidly expand that into something else which makes use of language, like law or education, but that depends on what you can find out from your classmates.

You're not overthinking - you're speculating, which is worse! How can you know you won't catch on? Well, you don't. Not just yet.

#15 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

lol I can't help it! >.<; I'm always like that. Everyone says I should go into law, that I would be a good paralegal or lawyer, but once again, I don't think I could do it, like I don't have what it takes.

And... I also want a job in high demand that pays well. I want to provide for me and my little girl <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users