#16 Kung Fu Hung-Su

Kung Fu Hung-Su

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

POPULAR

If you don't have what it takes, you can always get what it takes. Start here.

http://calnewport.co...dy-hacks-canon/

#17 ange_argente

ange_argente

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate and be a real, practical Asian about this, but have you done any research on some of ths careers you've considered? It's one thing to think there's a job market for it because of this or that, but it's another thing to really know - salary range, work hours, the number of graduates who find jobs right away versus those who are unemployed after. Things like that. And based on that information, can you really support your child through their first 16-18 years of life?

A lot of people will tell you to do what you love - that's what we were all taught in school. But you need to ask yourself if you can do that? For some people, turning their hobby into their career killed their passion. There's also being disappointed with misplaced expectations. A few of my friends who went into engineering did so because they loved math and psyhics in high school. But when they actually went through the engineering degree program, it was completely different than what they had expected and a lot of them dropped out.

Picking a career is a huge decision and yeah, it totally sucks not knowing if what you picked is something you want to do for the rest of your life. My suggestion is to pick something that you don't mind and that pays well and offers relatively good job stability so that you can have the finances you need to raise your child. And if it's not something you love, you can always go back to school for something different.

And have faith in yourself. Give yourself a little bit of credit. You've been through a lot and you're still pushing through and looking towards the future. Believe it or not, it says a lot about the kind of person you are and how much you can accomplish when you try.

#18 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

^ Thank you so much! ^_^ That left me speechless! ^_^ I agree with 100% of what you are saying, and I will start looking into careers as you suggested, because you're totally right, I need to start doing that. I just enrolled for 3 classes (12 units) to a community college with an undecided major at the moment.

And I didn't even think about people turning their hobby into their career, because that's very true as well. I'm also worried about finishing college in time to get a good career started to support myself and the baby. I guess I'm just worried that I won't have enough time, like I'll be left behind or something. But, I know having at least a BA will get a lot better jobs than minimum wage ones...

#19 SugarPinkKitty

SugarPinkKitty

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

First and foremost, no education you received will ever be wasted whether it's on a major you continuously like or someday tire of. You'll always have learned useful lessons. That having been said, it's always good to really think about what you want to do before jumping into college.

What you need to do is make a list of all your interests. Once that's done you need to jot down notes on what types of jobs are available in those fields and which ones sound interesting to you along with why. Once that's done you'll most likely have ruled out a few. At this stage you need to truly consider which career fields or careers you could see yourself pursuing during your life. Pick out the ones that truly stand out and list the pros and cons for each.

Then, I would get in contact with the school you're applying to. See what majors are offered and if there's a councilor you can visit with (for free) that can help you work your way through your list of career possibilities. If that isn't an option then research the careers online (look for income, availability in the job market and how high the competition is for graduates).

You also need to see what types of education these fields require. Some fields require a 4-year Bachelors, some are alright with an Associates and others want you to continue on to Graduate school (if grad school is in your future then you need to make sure you go to a good school and get good grades).

I went to a 4-year college for fashion design. I pushed myself to do it because at the time it seemed "cool and glamorous". I didn't research the field at all and convinced myself that I could survive in a field that is extremely cut throat and incredibly hard to get a job in without serious talent (not only that, but if you want to be a fashion designer you don't really need to go to college). Now that I'm done I'm realizing fashion isn't for me (I love it, but not as a job). Now I'm applying to go to grad school in the spring of 2012 for Museum Studies to become a curator. It's my true passion and what I've always wanted to do, I just didn't realize it somehow.

In other words, use my example as a tool to push yourself to choose wisely. You don't have to make a definite choice by your first year, because you'll be covering your generals (math, science, art, history, etc.), but by your second year your adviser will expect you to choose a major and/or minor. However, it's easier if you know the school you'll be attending for your first year offers the major you know you want to pursue, otherwise you may need to transfer. Don't let anyone pressure you into a choice and don't choose it because you think it will impress others. Listen to what you want and go with it because you're the one who has to live with your choices. Good luck!

#20 sfweb

sfweb

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

Put this in mind never ask to many people when choosing career the more you ask more you get confused.

Hello! I just applied for city college online, and I'm probably just going to go for my GED right now. But my problem is... I don't know what I want to do! Like, what career to go into, you know? I am interested in many things, but I just have absolutely no idea what I want to do. I want to take an assessment test, but I hear that they're not always accurate.

I am also hesitant to choose a career because I don't want to choose something that I will end up not liking one day, and that I will waste all of my college education and time on something that I don't like to do, and that by that time it will be too late to change. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this, and any advice for me on this?

Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users