#1 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

Hello! I know I ask for advice a lot xD I just want to gather some perspective from my fellow BoAjjangers.

I currently do not work or go to school, I am a stay-at-home-mom. I did work before, but after my baby was born, I had to quit for complicated reasons. I just enrolled in school, but I haven't decided what classes to take, or to go full-time or part-time. I don't know if I will have time to go to college full-time, as I go to physical therapy twice a week for an hour or so, and some classes are only available when I have physical therapy.

I also want to go back to work, but there are a few obstacles... I live in a really tiny town, and major towns are a minimum of 30 minutes away. I don't have a reliable car, and not a lot of money for gas. I am going to get unemployment, and my mom says it will be smarter to stay at home and get unemployment for now, and just go to school. I do want to go back to work, I just don't know if I will have time, as physical therapy is a lot already, and going to school will be even more. And I don't know if I can afford to go back to work, I can barely make it as it is. I basically live off of my parents, and I feel badly.

So I guess my question is, do you suggest I go to school part-time or full-time, and do you think my mom is right that it costs more to go to work and just stay home? I think she wants me to focus on school and raising my baby, which is right. I don't think I will have time for physical therapy, college, work and raising my baby. Raising the baby is taking all of my energy right now, and physical therapy is so draining, but I know it helps so I can raise her. I want to get educated so that I can support me and my little girl! :lol:

#2 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

I think your mom has the right idea. You don't want to spread yourself too thin, as you're already going to be raising a child and studying. Working would really distract from these two very important things. If your mom is okay with helping you out until you're finished with your studies, then I'd say take her advice. Once you've got your education, and your little one is a bit older, then you can get a job and help your mom out financially, in return for what she's done to help you. :lol:

#3 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

That is very true! Yeah, they said they would help out with the baby as long as I was getting myself an education. I know I will be in a lot of debt to them, as they will be paying for college and maybe a new car, but I need a reliable car for the baby as well...

Anyway, I will write more later. I have a cranky baby calling me~ <3

Ok, I'm back :thumbsup:

I just feel really bad, because I have no income, and I live off my parents. Like it's really sad how broke I am right now, and I'm always asking for money, and I hate doing that, especially to my parents :thumbsup:

But, I guess an education will be better in the long run, and I can pay them back later. And I am so thankful they watch the baby for me... I could never afford child care these days o.O;

But but but... I think you're right, hinachan :3 Thanks so much for your advice! :lol:

Edited by briannafifield, 03 July 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#4 Jef

Jef

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Well, It's hard to tell what to do since I don't know your situation very well.

But since your mom offered you to life some longer with her in the same house so you can work or study, I would say take that chance.

I can't give you any wise advice what to do with your study of your work. It's something you need to consider for yourself depending on the current situation. but if you see a change to take a study I would say do it -_-

#5 ange_argente

ange_argente

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

If your parents are okay with you living with them and helping you out with your child, take advantage of it. You have some really wonderful parents and there's nothing wrong with you "living off your parents" while you get an education.

I would definitely recommend part-time schooling. School full-time is rough; with a child to take care of, I can only imagine how impossible it would be unless you don't need sleep and you can live off of energy drinks and caffeine for years.

Good luck with all of that! From what I've seen from your posts, it sounds like you've been through a lot, but you don't seem to let it get you down and you're still so full of spirit to keep trucking through it! That's pretty amazing and really inspiring too!

#6 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

^ Thank you so much once again! :D You are very kind! ^_^ Yeah, they are ok with me living there as long as I go to school for something. I mentioned working as well and they said to just focus on schooling and my future career, because I'll be working for the rest of my life, and it would be way too complicated to balance work, school, raising a baby, and a possible divorce. I'm already worried if I took too much classes this semester already! But I really think I'll get through it! It's for my baby! ^_^

One day, I will pay my parents back for all that they've done for me :( Though I'm not sure that's possible... they've done so much for me, I'll eternally be in their debt (at least in my eyes).

Edited by briannafifield, 11 July 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#7 ange_argente

ange_argente

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

You're a pretty inspiring person. You deserve all the credit for everything you've been through and not letting it get to you.

Heh, that's what parents are for. Just remember to help them out in the future if they need it, and show the same kind of generosity to your child when they need it too. I know my parents are the same way - as their kids, we'll always be indebted to them for what they did for us - the best way to show them how thankful you are for that is to repeat that example to your own kids. ^_^

Best of luck to you! ^_^

#8 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

Truer words were never spoken! That's exactly what I plan to do. Aww, you're very sweet! ^_^ I've been through a lot, and most of it was self caused, and it did get me down for a while, but I am VERY glad I got on the right track again. And I hope I stay on it! ^_^ And I think college is a good start for that.

Thank you so much for your advice and words of kindness! It's extremely appreciated!! :D

#9 lil_dan814

lil_dan814

Teh Major Fail League President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi Brianna!

My personal suggestion would be to collect unemployment if you qualify and stay at home and do schooling atleast part time. This all depends on where you plan on going to school. I believe that many schools now offer online courses, which would save you a lot of time and give you leeway on when scheduling. Typically online classes have a schedule for what is due at the end of the week and is basically almost like independent studying.

I've done full-time schooling with 1 onsite class and 3 online classes for a semester before. It was a bit hectic because I also had to work so I didn't get too much sleep. But since you are planning on collecting unemployement, you are set for time.

#10 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Hi Dan!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm going to do now. I think I do qualify, but EDD is giving me so much trouble I will probably have another hearing about it (more time and energy... ^_^ ). I'm just going to a small community college about ten minutes away from here, and I thought about online courses, but I'm not the type to do almost independent courses. I need a teacher to give me guidance, I'm just like that I guess :D Yeah, I definitely couldn't handle work and school and the baby. It's hard just to handle the baby right now! ^_^ I guess it will all just work out.

Thank so much for your advice Dan!

#11 Y2Kevtjai

Y2Kevtjai

K n K`s Fansubs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

I know a bit more of your past as you have asked for help in this section more than once. Glad to see you are still there!

Given the condition you must be thankful to have this kind of support from your parents. I don't think it's entirely only about repaying back by money. If your parents could see you being able to stand on your own with your child someday they'll be more than happy and relieved!

I'm not familiar with the unemployment policy in your country. But generally said in your condition it'd probably not be profitable to start working anyway. You'll have investigate your situation and make decisions that are reasonable for you and your child both in time and effort.

Personally I'd say to resume school for a part whether possible. Proper education is never bad. At least you create some chances for yourself in the future.

#12 ICESSWADA

ICESSWADA

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Congratulations on getting accepted mate, Cant really speak much about the Universitys down there as I only have experience with scottish Universitys but Im sure youll really enjoy building surveying as a degree.

Im just on my final leg now, few more hand ins and exams and thats me but I feel like as a surveyor Im in a pretty good position for the future.

If you have any questions about the course or need advice feel free to PM me. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users