#1 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

POPULAR

Basically that's the title. It's quite controversial.

How do you think Jesus look like?

As a Catholic I grew up seeing Jesus and thought that he was some tall white man.

Then they teach at school that we don't really know what Jesus looked like, it's just a portrayal of what he may have looked like, and it varies from place to place, culture to culture.

I had an argument with my dad about it. He is an extreme Catholic. Anyways, I told him that no one really knows what Jesus looked like, and that those statues at church aren't really true, they are just portrayals of what he might have looked like.

Then he gave me a crazy look and scolded me (==" ). Was I wrong to say that? He can't accept the fact that the white-man he has worshiped and viewed as Jesus could have been a black man, an Asian man, etc. I told him that Jesus could have looked like someone else, and that they teach us that to show that we shouldn't rely on images and statues but rather in our faith in God, but then he got angry again.

To me Jesus could have looked Jewish, Asian, Black, etc. since there is nothing in the Bible that says what he looks like.

How do you think Jesus looked like? Does it matter?

To me it doesn't matter what Jesus looked like because we follow him through his examples, not how he is portrayed at church altars. I told my Dad that it's better to know that we don't know what Jesus looked like so that everyone can have different interpretations of Jesus and there would be no dispute.

Jesus could be portrayed as a Black or Asian man, or a Blond man and it would be fine since no one really knows. As long as Jesus' portrayal isn't a bastardized (ex. holding a gun, etc.) then it's fine.

#2 !~BoA4ever~!

!~BoA4ever~!

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Well, Jesus was born in Bethlehem, which would make him a man of Jewish decent. So to answer your question, Jesus can look like whatever he wants to, remember that after his resurrection his disciples couldn't make out their own master. I really don't see anything wrong with Jesus being depicted as another race or anything, just take a look at our Blessed Virgin Mother, there were many different apparitions of her of many different race.

Only time will tell I guess. :notworthy:

God Bless You!

Edited by !~BoA4ever~!, 08 August 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#3 Jef

Jef

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

One thing is sure, It isn't possible that Jesus looked like a white Western man. I believe that part is al made up by the church to make an easier connection between the white Western people and Jesus. Don't forget that back in the days we neither had internet t.v or pictures ! the most people didn't even knew that people other looking than them exists, Imagen how they praise someone not looking like them.

It's like we are told to pray for a purple man, no one would take it serious.

#4 Tyler

Tyler

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well yeah, Jesus is a Jew. It doesn't matter what he LOOKED like, what matters is what he taught. Like this quote I've heard, I don't know who said it but it's "Jesus didn't come to preach a new religion, he was a Jew that preached unconditional love".

Which is very true and I believe to be true.

#5 SugarPinkKitty

SugarPinkKitty

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

While it's true that we really don't know what Jesus looked like and that he could have appeared however he wanted he did begin as what appeared to be a regular human being. My assumption is that he looked normal and quite like the people around him, otherwise I would assume that some mention would have been made of his irregular looks in the Bible (for example: if he had blonde hair, they would most likely mention it to attest to how different he was due to being the song of God).
As Jesus was born in Bethlehem and was Jewish, he would most likely have had the common traits of the Jewish people. Bethlehem is also in the Middle East, therefore he would have those traits as well (tan skin, dark hair, etc.). He most likely didn't looked like the images we're used to seeing (i.e. A white male with blue eyes and light brown hair).

#6 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:18 AM

Brad Pitt

#7 neko1228

neko1228

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

#8 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

yeah that's what I said, Brad Pitt.

#9 pavle

pavle

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Jesus was not a white man, its the Europeans who portrayed him like this

#10 Johan-BoA-

Johan-BoA-

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Jesus was not a white man, its the Europeans who portrayed him like this

Yea.. I agree !! He was born at Jerusalem.. It's Israel. :D

#11 sanctuaryhikaru01

sanctuaryhikaru01

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

Since we was in the Middle East, Jesus had possibly dark skin and dark hair and neko1228 posted
"Isaiah 53:2

Jesus was NOT an attractive man. He wasn't anything close. I think it was like this to make him seem so "normal" that no one would be like "Oh my, he is a good-looking man, I'll go to his teaching to see him"
I think it's a stretch to say he was ugly because I'm sure he wasn't. We will never know for sure. The pictures we see are portrayals and we should have faith in him not in how he looks and some churches are like that.

Where ever you go , In a church there will always always be a portrayal of how he looks to ease the members of church.

#12 Lamber-Tiz

Lamber-Tiz

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Very interesting confessions. I also used to lie to hide shameful stuff I did like smokin dubies insted of going to school : LOL But when it came back to me it always hit me X3 so, after being K.O. so many times I finally understood it just makes no sense. Who I am is who I am. It took me a while though :
I also wanted to ask you guys, do you find hiding stuff from others = lying?

Azza ïèñàëà:

#13 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

Jesus was a handsome man, those of yous who beg to differ can go to hell

#14 mrsmushroomlee

mrsmushroomlee

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Jesus was a handsome man, those of yous who beg to differ can go to hell

Ahn... Do you really think that's something Jesus would like you to say? I mean, the Bible is the word of God. If in Isaiah 53:2 says he was not attractive you should believe in that. Unless you're not a christian.
I believe he was not good looking because people should follow him because of his message, of his real purpose. The salvation. So just like santuaryhikaru01 said if he was an attractive man it would take the attention.
We should not waste our time wondering how Jesus looked like. We should spend our time trying to, one day, go to heaven and see hes face like it actually is. Way better than it probably was on earth. With all his glory and real beauty. At least I think so.
I'm not catholic but I really like this subject. Made me realize that the real thing is not what the eyes can see. But what our spirits will be able to see someday.

#15 tikaluph

tikaluph

ALL I WANT IS SOMETHING NEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

Once I read a book about people's opinion around that period that have met and talked to Jesus.

There was a girl (I forgot her name, sorry!), she said that Jesus is an ordinary man but there is really something about him that made her awe. His aura that stands out the most of him. And all things around Him were brighter and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users