Photo

What are your thoughts about BoA's Hurricane Venus (Full Album)

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#76 mzpurfeqt

mzpurfeqt

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

i have to agree with most of you that "Dont know what to say" is such such such a nice song! it would be epic if she happen to perform it live!

M.E.P is a great song as well, but somehow i dont get with this B.o.b thingy. i cant seem to hear the similarities.

Dangerous reminds me of NU ABO, but still its a good fast dance song. wonder how the dance will be..

overall, i really love this new album! it shows boa can sing different genres.. show them (the new idols watsover) what you got, BoA!! :P

#77 bokachu

bokachu

BoA News Machine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

apparently BoA is accused of plagiarism!
Her song "M.E.P" sounds quite similar to "Nothing on you" (Bruno Mars) but I can't deem it as "plagiarism", they are pushing it!

how the hell the 2 songs are similar?

#78 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

Here is my reviews for this album :P

I have to say THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS of BoA. I give it 9.5/10 in overall in terms of everything (the songs, the cover and photo jackets, MVs)
Indeed, it has a variety of music, which shows BoA's distinguished vocal as well as her experience of different music industry like Japan and USA (since BoA is an international star and she has come to those countries to work and learn). I believe this album will satisfy people's different taste of music (Dance tracks, mid-tempo, pure ballads, ballads with unplugged style, jazz...)
This is an all-rounded album, which shows the wonderful skill and effort of both BoA and SME (10th anniversary of BoA's career). BoA is absolutely the legend of not only Korea but also the whole Asia although she is only 23. I am always proud to be a BoA's fan.

1. GAME: 9/10. This is the first song that I fell in love with for this album. Some may not like it because it is some kind of weird music which makes some not like it. However, I find it really addictive! I have been playing like mad before the release of Hurricane Venus.
2. Hurricane Venus: 9/10 Pretty strong dance track! I am sure the grade for this song will go up when I see the MV! The beat is catchy and BoA's voice is strong. That's all for me to love it. However, as it is autotune a bit then I have to deduct 0.5 mark from it :notworthy:
3. DANGEROUS: 7.5/10. My goodness... This track is full of autotune. I can't hardly hear BoA's real voice.... However, this song is some kind of unique in terms of arrangement and the beat. Not bad at all. Still want to see how she is gonna sing it live :P
4. Stand By 9/10. I have been talking about this song in other threads in terms of how I like it :sly:. I want to summarize why again here: BoA's voice is full of emotion and she shows great technique of controlling her singing. Good bridge, and I really love how BoA reaches high notes!
5. M.E.P: 8.5/10. Good mid-tempo song. BoA' voice is amazing here, especially when she hits the high notes! However, I feel like it lacks a bridge part since it sounds a bit plain, I don't know :lol: (One more point her English sounds good)
6. LET ME: 7.5/10. The same as DANGEROUS. New experience to hear BoA sings like that in this song, but it is not a song that I can replay over and over :lol: (One good point her English shows improvement here as well, I agree with someone said that her English sounds good in this album!)
7. Implode 9/10. Amazing! This is what we call something new from BoA. BoA has never done this in her album before (as far as I know). Pure and simple use of guitar as background music and a voice full of emotion. I just simply love it. (One more point, BoA voice sounds different here, BoA does not usually sing ballad in this voice, I like it :lol:)
8. Adrenaline: 8/10. In comparison with DANGEROUS and LET ME, I prefer Adrenaline because It has no autotune, so that BoA sounds so good here (One part that she reaches high notes -->awesome). Although I once again I feel it lacks something, but overall it is a good track though.
9. Ordinary Day: 8/10. I got hooked right at the beginning because of the peaceful and calm piano. Nevertheless, I think the song should be done better since it gets quite boring till the end.
10. Don't Know What To Say: 8.5/10. I did not get hooked right from the beginning :lol:. However, the emotions are built up till the end of the song. Pure use of piano melody as background music. BoA's voice once again impresses me.
11. Romance 8.5/10. It gives a feel of jazz music, or it really is jazz music. I am not sure because I don't listen to jazz music often. It is great and I enjoy listening to it.

K-pop is now saturated with idol groups like SNSD, Super Junior, KARA, T-ARA, 2PM, 2AM, Big Bang, INFINITE, ...and the list goes on and on... However, BoA stands out as an individual singer. I wish her all the best with her great and much anticipated comeback!

Edited by 2boamystar, 05 August 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#79 miduhyo

miduhyo

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

This is my quick review that i decided to use from one of my reviews on the songs:

God, I can't explain how this album completely shifts on you. One second you're listening to this powerful beat that makes you wanna jump up and down and argue with other people about auto-tune but then suddenly you hear something exquisite, beautiful and incredibly simple like Don't Know What to Say, Implode, Stand By and you hear her voice again and you're like "Wow...." Just amazed

1. Game, I loved it. And I love it! hahaha (no past tense). Its a great song full of just fun! It makes me want to jump and party and have a good time but being able to show a bit of sexiness. You know? hahahaha :P nothing explicit. Makes me feel like I'm allowed to act like a girl going out on the town for the night with a bunch of friends.

2. Hurricane Venus. Makes me wanna get up and challenge the nearest person possible to a dance battle! Its such a fierce song full of energy that makes you wanna dance. I can almost imagine this as a opener to a concert with the greatest effects possible!!! hahaha. I can't even describe the power this song makes me feel. I feel strong and powerful!!!

3. Dangerous. Auto-tune. I don't care about the auto-tune. Its a powerful song meant to send a electric energy through you. I feel like a bad*** listening to it. Like I'm supposed to be knocking someone out in a boxers ring!!

4. Stand By
. The lyrics and feel of her voice in this song sends a soothing feel in me. Its sad... I feel at some point or another we all can cope with the feelings in the song and that makes it so beautiful. Its one of those songs to me (i'm repeating myself from an earlier post a while back) the music connects to the voice, the voice with the lyrics and the lyrics to the listener.

5. M.E.P (My Electric Piano) i was confused, probably cause I don't know Korean. But I swear when i read the title is My Electric Piano and then she is singing you're so beautiful. Is she singing to her piano? and her piano is still in love with her? hahahahahaha jk jk jk jk!!! Anyway, when i read the tracklist I always thought this song would be a strong dance with a powerful but its opposite! It threw me off!!! hahahaha. But its still a great song. Makes me smile when I hear it come on!

6. Let Me.
BoA getting her gansta on! I love it! Absolutely love how she gets in this rapper mode almost and totally owns the song. Next to HV this song is my favorite dance on. (Can't Deny my Perfection!) Damn right girl!!! Her English is so so so so good. I feel proud!!! hahahaha.

7. Implode. My new favorite slow song from hers. Its the number one song that I can't stop repeating. Its so beautiful in its simplicity and i swear that I don't know the lyrics at all cause of my lack of Korean but i feel i connect to the lyrics. The other voice that sings with her, i don't know who it is, but it fits perfectly. Everything about this song. I swear its the hidden jewel of the album. Perfect. Just listening to it and i feel i'm wrapped in someones arms or longing to be in someones arms.

8. Adrenaline It was hard for me to turn off Implode. hahahaha. Anyway, this song reminds me of Rihanna, not to compare of course, in the beginning. But as soon as the chorus comes on and its 100% BoA. No one else. I can imagine her owning the stage and audience with this song. Its so powerful. Every dance track on this album is 100% committed to. None were just thrown in there to make the album longer. They're perfection.

9. Ordinary Day Please no one hate me when I say that to me this is my least favorite song on the album, doesn't mean its bad, just personally not my favorite. Its good and has its own special feel to it -- i hope to get more attatched to it the more I listen to it of course.

10. Don't Know What to Say. I love how her voice comes in automatically. I thought it would've been a long piano opening but it wasn't and that saved me from not skipping to the middle of the song. Its a great song. Beautiful. Simple yet again. God, I can't explain how this album completely shifts on you. One second you're listening to this powerful beat that makes you wanna jump up and down and argue with other people about auto-tune but then suddenly you hear someone simple like Don't Know What to Say, Implode, Stand By and you hear her voice again and you're like "Wow...." Just amazed.

11. Romance Brings a new feel to it. I feel like its Christmas Time and I'm taking a lover out for the greatest time of his life. Ice Skating. Romantic Dinner. Or maybe its very, very early in the morning, before the sunrise and we've sat out by a lake to watch the sun come. The song paints a picture of love for me. hahaha I feel like I wanna be proposed to while listening to this song. hahahahaha XD (thats just a girls thought though! I'm allowed to say that!!!) XD
------------------------------------------

Excellent album I'm so happy BoA has delivered stronger than ever before. This album has blown all my expectations out of the water. Her voice. Her lyrics. The arrangement. The feel. The excitement. The simplicity. Its wonderful. She's grown up and you can just tell by the end of the CD. You hear it in her voice. I love it so much. Good job BoA!!!

9.5/10!!

#80 pocketboi

pocketboi

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

Makes me wanna get up and challenge the nearest person possible to a dance battle!

You know... I'm always here.. Not that I havent asked you already XD

#81 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:22 AM

This is what we call a HURRICANE VENUS movement :P. BoA's fans on facebook changed their avatars to HURRICANE VENUS album cover :P
Posted Image

Edited by 2boamystar, 05 August 2010 - 01:24 AM.

#82 miduhyo

miduhyo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

^ dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum! hahahahahaha

The Hurricane has hit quickly! Hurry as it spreads to take over the coast! XD

@Pocketboi -- i said nearest person possible. You're a state away. hahaha there are plenty of people between you and me. XD

btw... you have so many quotes on that single post!!!! HAHAHAHAHA XD

Edited by miduhyo, 05 August 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#83 KayneLee09

KayneLee09

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

Okay my view on HURRICANE VENUS :3

Song-by-song analysis and then album analysis ^^

01. GAME
Lyrics by Kim Bu Min | Composed & Arranged by hitchhiker (Jinu)

This song is a very good intro song, although it's SUPER catchy and i LOVE the beat it might have been more effective as an actual intro song, and maybe have another song in the album too :P (being greedy) but ultimately hitchhiker did good by BoA producing a song i can't get out of my head <3

02. Hurricane Venus
Lyrics by Kenzie, BoA, Hong Ji Yu | Composed & Arranged by Erik Lidbom, Martin Hansen, Anne Judith Wik

I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SONG!!! Not only is it the title song, and the MV is gonna be released looks awesome, but our BoA co-wrote it and it's such an impressive song! It expresses exactly what BoA is, a powerful and strong woman (also talented)

03. DANGEROUS
Lyrics by Kim Bu Min | Composed by Engelina Larsen, Thomas Troelsen

This song is such a dangerous experience, but it's worth the danger :P thanks to Thomas Troelsen for working his magic again in the track and BoA's vocals mix with it amazingly!!! It certainly has a scary edge to it and the beat is so robotic and evil in a sense, kinda of like a sci fi movie when the bad guy is sneaking up on someone or something haha, and the slow part as usual in Thomas Troelsen songs is pretty cool :3 BoA works this song so well and i can safely say i'll be DANCING AND REPLAYING THIS MANY TIMES <3

04. 옆 사람 (Stand By)
Lyrics & Composed by Kim Dong Ryul | Arranged by Hwang Seong Je

Yeop Saram, it is SUCH A GOOD BALLAD man Dong Ryul is SUCH a legend :P what a wonderful gift for BoA's comeback !! how can some simple minded netizens think it's generic >.> they clearly havent listened to traditional/classic ballads, they might sound similar, but each song has it's own unique features and BoA's vocals and the emotion work wonderfully, she has hit gold with this one :notworthy:

05. M.E.P(My Electronic Piano)
Lyrics by Kim Jeong Bae | Composed & Arranged by Kenzie

Okay, most people thought the title was strange when they first saw it.. i did not XDD i thought it was an AWESOME title :sly: although from the title i expected something a little upper tempo, but this mid-tempo-ish-ness is still very good! and the composition is just AMAZING and very Pop-sounding and the vocals kinda remind me of 90's-ish music :3 BoA's going for a retro theme with this and WOO WEEKEND a while back and it's not a bad sound :lol:

06. LET ME
Lyrics & Composed by BoA | Arranged by hitchhiker (Jinu)

THIS BEAT IS GONNA HAVE ME JUMPING FOR YEARS OR MORE >.> ITS SO SWEET!!! and certainly no one can deny BoA's perfection ^^ it's very clear in her
1. image
2. vocals
3. production
4. dancing
5. soon to be acting
LOL she is so talented im scared for all the other "artists" in the world ^^ anyway back to the song :P
i love the ma ma ma part GOSH ITS SO ADDICTIVE ^^ i think the main thing about the song is the beat for this one :lol: but you can't deny it's awesome! everyone 흔들다!! :]

07. 한별 (Implode)
Lyrics, Composed, & Arranged by Kim Jong Hwan

HOLY CRAP NELL TRACK!! okay i have to say i <3 Nell sooo much and to hear BoA sing with a song from the lead singer, and i think backup vocals by him, is just AWESOME! it's such a pretty track *tears* i really love it and think the sound is a unique as-yet-unexplored by BoA ^^ great to hear SO MUCH variety on this album

08. ADRENALINE
Lyrics by Kim Ina | Arranged by Lindy Robbins | Tobias Gad

Toby Gad... i knew i recognized the name when i saw it, producer of The Veronicas amongst others! This song has the typical rock-edge associated with his productions :lol: It's really cool tho, addictive and a catchy hook, the la la la part and the slight autotune-yness is pretty nicee! also have not really heard BoA in a techno/rock context, it's awesome to finally hear :lol:

09. 하루하루 (Ordinary Day)
Lyrics & Composed by BoA | Arranged by Gakushi

OKAY BoA IS A FREAKING GENIOUS! Why has she waited so long to produce T^T she could have been a hit songwriter for SM by now and made herself smash hit songs!! SM should persue the fact that she's more talented then anyone could have anticipated ! The lyrics are so cute and light sounding :sly: a great mid-tempo track

10. Don't Know What To Say
Lyrics by BoA | Composed by Robyn Newman , Matthew Tishler, Vincent Degiorgio | Arranged by Gwan Son Hwan

i have only really basically translated this song and the lyrics seem very sad... i feel like crying listening to it, sounds very personal, i can't really say much except this song is absolutely amazingly beautifully grand and again i havent heard such a plain piano track by BoA, or at least not one that stood out in particular to me until now, will NEVER stop listenin to this song

11. 로망스 (Romance)
Lyrics by Ahn Shin Hae | Composed by Hwang Chan Hui | Arranged by Song Yeong Ju

BoA has explored jazz before, we all know it, but i don't think she's ever gotten as close as this! THIS IS EFFING AMAZING, she sounds like one of those 1950's jazz singers and it really does make me feel so happy i could cry its beauty is unquestionable!

WHOLE ALBUM:
1. BoA producing and writing and i think kind of "executive producing"
2. Song's by Nell's Jong Hwan and Dong Ryul
3. Pure jazz song and pure piano-pop song
4. Exploratory and expressive album
5. Ballad's, Mid-tempo, and upper beat songs
6. PERFECT english parts and for the most part grammatically sound
7. BoA shows of her vocals to the best of her ability
8. It's like Her debut BoA ~1st US Album~ and IDENTITY mixed into one, amazingly catchy, with ballads and meaningful lyrics written by BoA herself and the whole album is great to listen to and each song has awesome potential!!
9. SM has released a billion re-packages lately, and even in America BoA released one, so expect a re-release of this album with 2-5 new songs that will knock you off your feet <3
It's a solid 10/10 album for me, nothing can top this, at least until she creates a new album ^^

#84 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

^ I really like your review. I agree with you for most of the songs!
This album is just too awesome! I hope the idol groups fans will see the real values in BoA

#85 Spark

Spark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

Here's my take:

Out of a Scale of 5:

01. GAME - :P x 4.5
02. Hurricane Venus - :P x 5
03. DANGEROUS - :notworthy: x 3
04. 옆사람 (Stand By) - :sly: x 4
05. M.E.P (My Electronic Piano) - :lol: x 4
06. LET ME - :lol: x 3
07. 한별 (Implode) - :lol: x 4
08. ADRENALINE - :lol: x 5
09. 하루하루 (Ordinary Day) - :sly: x 3.5
10. Don't Know What To Say - :P x 3.5
11. 로망스 (Romance) - :P x 3

Overall: :thumbsup: x 4.5

Edited by Spark, 05 August 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#86 ningyou-hime

ningyou-hime

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

Well, i stayed up for the whole night to be able to listen to it right after it comes out. i was totally near to lose my mind when i finally heard the album. It was so freaking gorgeous, beautiful, fresh and all that. now i'm listening to it again, and i'm sure this album will stay on repeat for a while.
But the B.O.B-nothing on you-thing makes me a bit sad. and shocked. i hope this doesn't bring out too bad controversy. BoA doesn't need all of that, esp. right now when she just has came back. But i'm not going to lie, the songs sound a little similar, but i think it's only just a little bit similar song, but not the SAME song so that some one could say it's plagiarized. . . ANYWAY i don't want to think about this anymore....D: i don't want another lee hyori-ish case.
Apart of that, i really like all of the songs. Most "boring" song is probably ordinary day for me. But i guess it'll grow on me later and when i've seen the english lyrics to it.
One song that made me more impressed than anything in this album is Romance. THIS SONG RIGHT HERE. Where have you been jazzy BoA? i looooove this song. It's something i can imaginate me listening late at evening after some stressful day with a cup of hot tea ^^ hahaah lol. I love it :P
Implode moved me a lot too, as well as Don't know what to say (which brought me tears at 5AM when i first heard it). Moved. *shaking and crying* I really can't write a good review thing like most of you here wrote about every song etc.,, i think words can't express my happiness :P i think it's one of her best albums, but not the BEST. Doesn't beat My Name yet. I hope this album allows her to change her music into more mature way, i'd love to hear a full jazz album form her one day. srsly.

#87 miduhyo

miduhyo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

I love reading everyones input but i have to say...

Spark. Yours was the best by far!!! :P

:P

#88 Spark

Spark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

I love reading everyones input but i have to say...

Spark. Yours was the best by far!!! :P

:P

Hahah. Thanks!

Hopefully too much smileys don't look like spam!

#89 sherica-

sherica-

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

my quick review after listening to every songs several times. except for Hurricane Venus and Stand By which i already clocked 117/131 times so far in my ipod ^^
on a scale of 5...

01. GAME - 3.5
02. Hurricane Venus - 5
03. DANGEROUS - 2.5
04. 옆사람 (Stand By) - 5
05. M.E.P (My Electronic Piano) - 4.5
06. LET ME - 2
07. 한별 (Implode) - 3.5
08. ADRENALINE - 2.5
09. 하루하루 (Ordinary Day) - 4
10. Don't Know What To Say - 4
11. 로망스 (Romance) - 3.5

#90 The Real CZ

The Real CZ

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

First album since T-ara's Absolute First Album/(repackaged) Breaking Heart that I've liked the majority of the songs in the album. Really like this album, better than Identity. So far I've listened to 6-7 of the songs and I've liked them all so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users