Photo

Why's it ok for Celebs to act gay, but not be gay?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Suzukaze Maikaru

Suzukaze Maikaru

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

POPULAR

OK, i have been thinking about this for awhile, and didn't want to make a big deal, but i feel this is unfair.

S Korea is a conservative country, but i don't get why it's OK for guys to dress up as girls or act feminine and get away with it, but if someone were actually gay it appears they would not be accepted.

heechul dressed up as a girl many times, the gee outfit and lady gaga outfit. He says he is straight, and everyone loves it when he dresses up.

ZE:A did a photo shoot where some of them were women,

and Kwanghee did that dance with Nine Muse
Jo Kwon always does his girly stunts.

They also did a parody of Abracadabra

and then fans have these couple obsessions where they think two members in the group are soo cute together how they act around each other.

But i still get the feeling if someone was actually homosexual or bisexual the fans replies would be that of negative energy.
If i am wrong please help me out. But i just get the impression they make fun of gays for entertainment value or all in fun, but if someone was actually non straight it would be a different story

#2 sky019

sky019

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

I think it is very similar to every other countries. Right now its a little bit better, but still not quite there. For them to be okay to act that way because the people know they are not actually gay in any way (who knows? i mean they could be wrong rite?). To the people, they think the celebs are acting cute! (i mean some of them are). For me, i dont believe they are making fun of homosexuality, bi, or transgender. It is like "fan service" <--if you know what i mean. I dont believe this trend will stop any time soon. But hopefully conservative counties, like S Korea, will try to accept homosexuality as it really is.

#3 bluetory

bluetory

Who's BoA?

• BoAjjang Subtitles
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

I don't really want to address this situation as a whole,
because it's a fairly controversial topic I don't really want to get in to.
But I did want to address one certain point.

You mentioned that it was okay when Heechul dresses up like a girl and that its okay.
At first, it actually wasn't. He says this many times on broadcasts too.
He got a lot of anti messages on his minihompy and a lot of negative comments for acting gay.
(If you happen to watch his radio segment with MBLAQ, he says that them saying certain stuff will lead to strongly negative comments by netizens, and he knows it from experience, quite a few times.)

What happened later became an entertainment trend.
Jo Kwon's kkab isn't so much girly as it in a weird twisted provocative dance,
but it's funny so audiences will okay it
ZEA's photoshoot, and any boyband photoshoots really, aren't really considered gay,
its more like crossdressing and generally be done as fanservice, so it's not like they really are gay.
Parodies like abracadabra and the whole Wonder Boys thing, all done for entertainment.

This was longer than I wanted it to be, but to the point, celebrities do it because general audiences will just take it as either fanservice or entertainment or, when it comes to real photoshoots, it wasn't their idea anyways.

#4 BoAFreakVer.300

BoAFreakVer.300

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

I really don't agree. If anything the world is more accepting of homosexuality than years past. Cosplaying has always been a fun and entertaining publicity stunt especially in Asian countries for males and females. Once or twice is probably ok for a good laugh to sell merchandise, however, too many times and I honestly see a Ricky Martin in disguise. It's not that far fetch considering they are in a boy band.

#5 dreamsicles

dreamsicles

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

it could be japan cross dressing culture that might have an influence on this.

Also, this could be a good way of entertainment for entertainers, to create laughter. i mean that is what entertainer should do right? creating an enjoyment/enjoyable things.

this could also be the very reason why they do not want BoA to appear on variety show, coz they wan her to remain as an artist, not an entertainer of sort.

cross dressing doesnt mean that person is gay/homo, or disrespecting transsexuals in anyway. it is just a form of entertainment. be it for a culture in japan, or a variety show in S.korea.

everything is imo though. point out if you disagree.

#6 Suzukaze Maikaru

Suzukaze Maikaru

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

that is where i am concerned about.
for the sake of entertainment...it is still making a mockery on some level to people of that real community.
There are people who act the way they pretend to act, but it's part of their every day lives.

#7 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

I don't necessarily think that they are making fun of the gay community. This is just my opinion because I've known plenty of gay people and have quite a few gay friends. And not all gay men act girly, listen to lady gaga or act overly sexual towards others. People there simply view these entertainer's acts as fan service.

And I really can see from your point of view because it is weird for a country as conservative as Korea to be filled with (for lack of better words) "flower men". And I really believe that if someone (preferably guys) were to do some skit where they were really pretending to be gay, they would be bashed on netizens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users