The something new is BoA learns tap dance this year... :lol:

#17 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to BoAjjang forums and this is my first post.

I wanted to let you all know that I am a huge Derek Hough fan and have been so for the past three years. He has many incredibly loyal fans and like all of you, we are all very excited to see his (and BoA's) movie debut in Cobu 3D.

I wanted to offer myself as a source of information about Derek Hough. I read through some of the closed threads for Cobu 3D and noticed that a lot of BoA fans have no clue about him other than he is a professional dancer on Dancing with the Stars. Some comments were not very nice, too. So that's why I wanted to join the forum to give anyone who is interested the correct info about him. He is extremely talented in many other areas other than dance and he is more than capable to star in a movie and keep up with BoA in this movie!

Ever since the announcement for the movie was made, I started doing research on BoA (which has led me to these forums). I think she is amazing and love her hip-hop dancing. I truly think they will be dynamite together on screen.

I've been given the 'blessing' to start a thread on Derek in the Lounge by an administrator. So I'll try to create a nice intro post to the thread. I'll also be trying to catch up and learn about BoA through all the different areas of the forum. :)

Thank you for welcoming me here!

#18 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Oh, you are most definitely welcomed here and thank you for volunteering to offer us info on Derek. Also, I find it nice of you to take initiative and learn a bit about BoA. She's a fantastic person and has been working on dancing and singing since she was young (as far back as elementary) and sings a variety from dance music to soft beautiful ballads whether it be in Korean, Japanese, or Korea and though it was long ago, she also sang in chinese. Anyway XD Some fans get a bit rowdy but for the most part we're a pretty good bunch. I admit i don't know much about Derek, myself, but already alone from dancing, you can see how much passion he has for the activity and he seems like a pretty good guy. I am highly impressed by how crisp his moves are.

:) Hope to see you around the threads.

Man, just knowing about this movie, is really killing me :o Hahahaha, I wish it was out now. The plot seems decent and the inner details sound so awesome!!

Thanks WeLuvUBoA-kiddo!

I remember reading one article on the announcement of the movie that Duane Adler was keen on focusing more on the story-telling than on just having dance battle after dance battle. I think that is going to be a huge difference btw Cobu and the Step Up movies. It sounds like there is going to be decent character development. Derek tweeted that that his character is 'gritty' and 'edgy' and that he is excited to explore this character.

But what makes me even more excited is that this movie is not just about the usual suspects of dance movies like hip-hop, ballet, ballroom. The movie is going to infuse tap dancing, swing, hip hop, taiko drumming, etc. and a lot of people will be exposed to these different dance forms. I mean, I doubt that the majority of the U.S. has ever seen Japanese Taiko Drumming and/or Cobu. I've never even heard of Cobu before even though I had actually seen it before. I just didn't know there was a name to it. So the movie will teach people about dances they might have never heard about it before.

FYI, I did a little research on Duane Adler (screenwriter/director). He wrote the screenplays for Save the Last Dance and Step Up. Those two movies are actually in the top 6 of all time grossing dance movies. They were both in the top 5 before, but Black Swan pushed Step Up to #6. Save the Last Dance opened up at #1 for its first wknd and stayed at #1 for two weeks. Step Up opened at #2 during its opening wknd with massive promotion, but look. . . it turned into a franchise! Oh yah, the critics were actually very positive about Save the Last Dance and not so much over Step Up. But I think there were different goals and visions for the two movies. I am hoping that Cobu will be more like Save the Last Dance.

With the proper promotion for the movie, and the loyal fanbases of Derek and BoA. . . I truly believe this movie will be a hit here in the U.S. (and the world). I don't know about you guys, but I plan on seeing it like twice during opening wknd and like 5 times more before it leaves theaters! LOL! I definitely know that a lot of other Derek Hough fans will watch it multiple times at the theater. ;)

Edited by Elmari, 09 February 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#19 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I wanted to let you all know that I am a huge Derek Hough fan and have been so for the past three years. He has many incredibly loyal fans and like all of you, we are all very excited to see his (and BoA's) movie debut in Cobu 3D.

I wanted to offer myself as a source of information about Derek Hough. I read through some of the closed threads for Cobu 3D and noticed that a lot of BoA fans have no clue about him other than he is a professional dancer on Dancing with the Stars. Some comments were not very nice, too. So that's why I wanted to join the forum to give anyone who is interested the correct info about him. He is extremely talented in many other areas other than dance and he is more than capable to star in a movie and keep up with BoA in this movie!

Ever since the announcement for the movie was made, I started doing research on BoA (which has led me to these forums). I think she is amazing and love her hip-hop dancing. I truly think they will be dynamite together on screen.

I've been given the 'blessing' to start a thread on Derek in the Lounge by an administrator. So I'll try to create a nice intro post to the thread. I'll also be trying to catch up and learn about BoA through all the different areas of the forum. :)

Hey! Welcome to the forums! Hope those few negative comments don't make you think we're mean ): We're good people! Really!

Thanks for researching BoA and thanks for giving us information on Derek! Hope both fandoms can enjoy this movie! :D I'm sure the result will be amazing. Storyline and original dancing show promise, as well as the leading cast of course :P

Thanks WeLuvUBoA-kiddo!

I remember reading one article on the announcement of the movie that Duane Adler was keen on focusing more on the story-telling than on just having dance battle after dance battle. I think that is going to be a huge difference btw Cobu and the Step Up movies. It sounds like there is going to be decent character development. Derek tweeted that that his character is 'gritty' and 'edgy' and that he is excited to explore this character.

But what makes me even more excited is that this movie is not just about the usual suspects of dance movies like hip-hop, ballet, ballroom. The movie is going to infuse tap dancing, swing, hip hop, taiko drumming, etc. and a lot of people will be exposed to these different dance forms. I mean, I doubt that the majority of the U.S. has ever seen Japanese Taiko Drumming and/or Cobu. I've never even heard of Cobu before even though I had actually seen it before. I just didn't know there was a name to it. So the movie will teach people about dances they might have never heard about it before.

FYI, I did a little research on Duane Adler (screenwriter/director). He wrote the screenplays for Save the Last Dance and Step Up. Those two movies are actually in the top 6 of all time grossing dance movies. They were both in the top 5 before, but Black Swan pushed Step Up to #6. Save the Last Dance opened up at #1 for its first wknd and stayed at #1 for two weeks. Step Up opened at #2 during its opening wknd with massive promotion, but look. . . it turned into a franchise! Oh yah, the critics were actually very positive about Save the Last Dance and not so much over Step Up. But I think there were different goals and visions for the two movies. I am hoping that Cobu will be more like Save the Last Dance.

With the proper promotion for the movie, and the loyal fanbases of Derek and BoA. . . I truly believe this movie will be a hit here in the U.S. (and the world). I don't know about you guys, but I plan on seeing it like twice during opening wknd and like 5 times more before it leaves theaters! LOL! I definitely know that a lot of other Derek Hough fans will watch it multiple times at the theater. ;)

Haha, I'm gonna go see it with a few of my friends who are BoA fans :) I have really high hopes for this movie, and I'm sure it's going to be a hit! Really can't wait for it to release ^^

#20 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Kwcty6888, thanks for the welcome! Of course I don't think that because there were a few negative comments about Derek that everyone here would feel the same way. :D There just might be some preconceived ideas that I want to help set straight.

Is this BoA's first movie ever? Or has she been in any Korean or other Asian movies?

Also, have you guys heard that Duane Adler wrote this screenplay specifically with Derek and BoA in mind to play the lead roles? I've not been able to find the source to this but I've read this online in comments to articles about the movie. From my knowledge, Derek has been hinting about a movie role since Nov 2009.

What do you all think of Harry Shum Jr. playing BoA's brother in the movie? I love him from Glee and he could bring in that audience. Btw, that's just my wishlist! LOL! Haven't heard his name connected to the movie at all.

#21 alsrudtj124

alsrudtj124

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• BoAjjang Translator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

I'm glad it's not just another dance movie because we know how well those do nowadays. I love how it's incorporating and fusing opposites together. I'm sure most people will go just for that rare and unique mix!

#22 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

I believe it's her first movie ever, however she has acted in several korean dramas, and though there's no talking in Music Video's she's had to act out mini storyline's in those too. Yeah, Duane's been keeping his eye on these two :) He even went as far as attending one of the concerts that BoA was in (SM TOWN LA) also a lot have stated that Derek also showed up at that same concert too, to get a feel of working with her. Freakin awesome. What has also been said is that another fellow Korean Pop artist will be casted as BoA's brother. Who? We still don't have any leads on that yet.

XD

I love it that this is going to be their first movie together! What is also going to help this movie is that these two aren't relative unknowns. When I say this, I am talking from the U.S. perspective. Step Up pretty much had an unknown cast, that's why I think they had to depend a lot on the dancing. Derek and BoA already have built up fanbases over here.

I get BoA's tweets also and saw the ones about the tap dancing and english. She seems to be learning a lot of new skills for her role, well, more than Derek has to. So far, he's said that he's had to brush up on his tap dance skills and work out to gain some muscle. Derek has a very caring, supportive, patient, and positive personality. I think he'll take care of BoA and help her as much as he can to be comfortable during the making of the movie.

Oh yah, I actually used to watch a lot of Korean dramas and movies because of my college roommates and my brother. My favorite one was My Sassy Girl. . . LOL! I know, that's like back in the day. So BoA's been on Korean TV many times? That was one of my biggest questions is if BoA could act and I am happy to find out that she's had lots of experience.

For those that don't know, Derek was actually in the first Harry Potter movie! LOL! He was just a kid though. He attended a very prestigious theater arts academy in London during his primary and secondary school years. He also played the male lead in the Footloose musical in London's West End (equivalent to Broadway) for a year and got rave reviews and nominations for his portrayal. However, if you've seen Dancing with the Stars, there are 15 different ballroom/latin dances that each require you to play a different character with each dance. He plays all these characters extremely convincingly to me, at least! :P

Edited by Elmari, 09 February 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#23 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, they'll be a great team XD Goodness, I wish this movie was close to premiering already. But they said that filming doesn't start till April. Ahh, and the release in theaters would be around early 2012, *whimpers, I'm so impatient but it sounds so cool!

Anyway, she's going to be so busy this year. Not only does she have filming and stuff for the movie, but she also has to celebrate for her Japanese Anniversary for being in that country's music business for 10 years as well as an assumed release of a new japanese album and a concert or two. She's going to be so tired just like her comeback last year in Korea. Entertainers always have it rough.

Wow. . . well, it's good to keep working. But hopefully she won't get burnt out because there are so many exciting things to come!

You know. . . I downloaded some of BoA's english music and I really loved some of the songs like Energetic, Eat You up, I Did it for Love. The music videos were fantastic. Those were definitely radio-friendly songs. But I guess that was the time when Lady Gaga and Katy Perry first came on the scene. But i totally think those songs could have been more successful on the billboard hot 100.

Ok, what I am getting at is that I am an Asian-American and to be honest there is not a lot of Asian representation in American pop culture, esp in music. I mean, I guess we are starting to get some now with the Far East Movement, Bruno Mars, and Charise. But I think it's been generally difficult for Asian musical artists to break into the American market for some reason. I am really hoping that BoA can become that great Asian crossover artist with the help of this movie. I think we need more Asian role models in the public eye for the younger generations.

#24 Kiiroi

Kiiroi

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

Welcome ^^

#25 InuBoA_Kwon

InuBoA_Kwon

BoA's First Snow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

Welcome home... :notworthy:
And thanks for the "secret" info... ;)
Hope our idols can make a perfect duet in their movie... :hug:

#26 hanjin

hanjin

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

I have tried to play taiko and really liked it ^^ Cant wait to see BoA play taiko and does the tap dance!

#27 InuBoA_Kwon

InuBoA_Kwon

BoA's First Snow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

Waw,, really???
Is it hard to play??? :)
Even I've never played it whereas I'm Japanese... :D

#28 Uni

Uni

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru 's Enforcer >D

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8o0mgo

Junsu has been tweeting Arden Cho. Wouldn't it be awesome if he was playing "BoA's brother" in the movie? He's a great dancer :)

#29 Kiiroi

Kiiroi

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

^ OMG I'd die if it was true *___________________*

#30 haileying

haileying

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8o0mgo

Junsu has been tweeting Arden Cho. Wouldn't it be awesome if he was playing "BoA's brother" in the movie? He's a great dancer :)

No, as Arden Cho was JYJ's mc when they held the concert in America last year, they knew each other. Arden cho sometimes tweet Hero too! I'm sure that Junsu wasn't playing BoA's brother!

Edited by haileying, 10 February 2011 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users