Photo

Are girl groups buying back their albums?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

Composer/Songwriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

http://www.allkpop.c...ck-their-albums

Are girl groups buying back their albums?
by VITALSIGN on April 23, 2011 at 1:31 am

Posted Image

The flood of girl groups this year might actually be doing some damage to the music industry (besides saturating the idol market). Netizens are raising suspicions over manipulated album sales statistics from three girl groups, and consequently, Hanteo – an album sales anaylst site – has become the center of hot attention.

Apparently, netizens spotted sudden spikes in album sales from the Brave Girls, Rainbow, and 4minute, which caused some concerned discussions on various community boards as to whether companies were actually buying back their albums to create an ‘all-kill’ effect. Because the Korean music market isn’t as strong as it could be, it only takes a few thousand sales to achieve that much-coveted ‘all-kill’ title.

In effect, all it would take for an agency to bump their rookies to the next level is to spend a little extra money to help push false reports about ‘all-kill’ titles, and hopefully grab a music program trophy in the process.

Posted Image

But where did it all begin?

It all started with Brave Girls suddenly dominating charts overnight with over 4,000 in album sales. It’s a feat that they cleared barely a week into their debut, while senior girl groups with established fanbases like SISTAR and SECRET took much longer to achieve those same numbers.

Netizens have been watching as Rainbow followed with a sudden spike in sales. Soon after, 4minute recorded nearly 5,000 sales in just under two days to keep up with the others on the charts.

On Hanteo, a netizen wrote, “Because Brave Girls is buying back their own albums, Rainbow is now forced to keep up and have bought back their own albums in the second week of their promotions. 4minute is also competing for that #1 title so of course, they are starting to buy it back as well. Even if artists win #1 on charts, we need to keep it quiet to prevent this.”

Another netizen wrote, “What exactly are they going to do with all of the albums they bought back? Despite it being such a blatant case of buying back their own albums, they’re claiming it’s not. Now people are accusing f(x) of buying back because they’re the next girl group comeback.”

An anonymous industry representative said, “These days, album sales are an indication of a fandom’s strength. To rookies that have yet to establish a name or fanbase for themselves, it’s only natural that accusations of buying back albums will follow when they suddenly dominate album charts. It’s reality.”

Source: OSEN via Naver, Hanteo

#2 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

Ahhhh lol Yea They are.How sad.

#3 LuV2U

LuV2U

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:16 AM

of course!

it's not like they posses mad talents nor actually interesting enough for them to have a major fans that's willing to spend money right away on their album :P
sorry dorry morry strawberries but this newly debutants doesn't live up to the hype nor the expectation level they gave them self -_-"

#4 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

For sure their buying back albums.

The Korean music market continues to dissappoint me, they market themselves as world-class or something but in the end only a handful even match global music standards.

Korean music market will continue to be small if they keep migrating over Japan to get some sales.

#5 Yabisi

Yabisi

Robot BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

The Kpop industry seems really desperate for attention. Trying to debut groups in the states, recruiting trainees from the US and Canada for their fluency in English, putting plastic surgery in contracts to ensure that their idols are beautiful, exaggerating successes in articles, and of course coming out with a bunch of groups every month, and now this...when will it stop? :/

I think the only new group that is decent is Rania. That one chick can actually sing pretty good, but there's too many in that group.

#6 Joshorty

Joshorty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

That's what goes on here in North America too isn't it? I notice after an album reaches a gold/platinum status, the album just stops selling lol. Or they aim to have first week sales bigger than before just to make a good impression, then after that, mud sliiide.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with the Kpop industry since how many years ago other than BoA as picky as that may sound. There's just too many girl/boy bands I find annoying. But even BoA's latest album I had a hard time liking. It's not an album I'd go back to on occasional basis.

#7 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Two words: Flaming fraud! :angry:

#8 megawarrior

megawarrior

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

That's what goes on here in North America too isn't it? I notice after an album reaches a gold/platinum status, the album just stops selling lol. Or they aim to have first week sales bigger than before just to make a good impression, then after that, mud sliiide.

Depends. Rihanna used to be that way until her latest album LOUD.

#9 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I gave up on digging into K-pop market for a loooong time. Too much drama :rolleyes:
I just follow my BoA's steps, no one else matters . Life is good that way :lol:

*oops feel like I made a nonsense comment :ph34r:*

Uh, well, my point was k-pop market is too much drama :lol:. We - fans- can never find out the truth. All we hear/know is all what they LET us know.

#10 EunHyuk<3

EunHyuk<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Lol, of course they are buying back their albums! It's sad, really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users