11 replies to this topic

#1 EddwardMyName

EddwardMyName

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

i have high hopes of becoming a singer , and what makes it more interesting is i want to be a j-pop and k-pop . The first step is learning japanese and korean . I'm learning japanese and its going well but since the earthquake and tsunami ,everything is a wrecked and i dont plan on rushing on singing there but as of korea i'm more interested in , but right now it's not reeally planned out and i need to so i'll give more details soon! And do you think i could make it big in the Japan and Korea? Tell me what you think ;D
-eddward

#2 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

That depends on how well you sing.
Also, Korea is, unfortunately, big on looks so you have to be a good looking person as well. I don't know what you look like so...
Not saying that Japan isn't, but I see more...average looking people also promoted and making it in Japan as well. But a majority Korean fans, other asian Kpop fans, and non-asian Kpop fans want someone hot/cute to look at, sometimes they disregard talent...

I also feel like all singers should be professional and be able to take real criticism and use it to make them a better performer. Don't feel like you have to justify why you sang a certain way to a person. Don't make excuses, "I was sick that day" "I couldn't hear the music" etc. because that won't get you anywhere. As long as the person isn't down right bashing you, just take their comments/criticism with a smile and thank them for taking the time to listen to your performance.

It WILL take some time, know that. Make sure you have patients. Singers and actor have all had their fair share memories of having to have patients. BoA was lucky, she went to one place and BAM! they signed her. But the Korean star, Younha, had 4 auditions in just Korea alone before she was signed and she had to release a Japanese album before anyone took notice to her beautiful voice.

I mean, it's possible, you just have to want it for all the right reasons and never give up. For the longest time I wanted to become a singer, however that dream has changed and now I want to become an English teacher in Korea. If you want it badly, know that you must fight for it.

#3 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Ha ha I think CKay beat you to the african japanese singer >.> Still, I wish you good luck becoming a singer in korea

#4 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

^ Yes, Ckay already beat you in Japan :lol:

Interesting :)
First, you need to know how well you sing, because if you don't have the voice of a singer, no matter how hard you try, you will go no where.
Second, go find a chance in Korea like in SM or YG or some company like that when they have audition.
That's the beginning.
It takes a lot and a lot of things to become a singer, let alone a famous one, so it depends on how bad you want it and how serious you are about becoming a singer.
But why must be Korea/Japan? Why don't just start in your home country first? If you can't even make it big in your own country with your own language I'm afraid you would do any better in a foreign country.

P.S: BTW, I believe your post is in wrong section, it should be in 'The Lounge'.

Edited by yunapolaris, 11 May 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#5 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

^thank you, I moved it.

Also, not only is there CKay in Japan but there is also Tasha in Korea. She is Korean-African American.

#6 EddwardMyName

EddwardMyName

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

i know crystal kay beat me but then again shes half african american and korean . So theres sorta not really like an african american like you get what i' trying to say lol , and sorry im still new to this so i dont know where to post stuff -_- kind of embrassing!

#7 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

I don't know you really have to look at your audience. You would really have to compete with the current singers out there and it will be about 10x harder because not only because you will be a foreigner but also because you are black. Times really are changing and younger people may not be as prejudice as their elders but it is still there. My step mom (who was born and raised in Korea) actually told me that the Korean public has a bit of a skewed view of black people because of the negative images they see on the media. So, you would really have to work very hard to break down those images and stereotypes.

BUT I'm not saying the it's not impossible.

I know there is a black enka singer in Japan right now.

>>>>>> <<<<His name is Jero and he is awesome!

Although I don't know if using Jero or Crystal Kay are good examples because they are both mixed -_- Ugh I can't express my opinions adequately. I know this sounds pretty random.

#8 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

I think breaking into the ent industry of any country is really hard-- especially in Asia where most countries are quote homogenous and their views on other ethnicities can be very prejudiced.

I think networking is something that will help you the most -- there have been plenty of singers that make it more because of their social connections rather than actual talent --not that u don't have talent, but because of your ethnical identity u should be prepared to really work your people skills to overcome the prevalent prejudices and stereotype issues

With hard work and a little luck anything is possible IMO ^___^

#9 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

i know crystal kay beat me but then again shes half african american and korean . So theres sorta not really like an african american like you get what i' trying to say lol , and sorry im still new to this so i dont know where to post stuff -_- kind of embrassing!

A little correction here, CKay is half African-American and Japanese, not Korean ^_^. And that fact helps her a lot in her career since Japanese is also her native language. IMO, in Japan, if you don't sing Japanese really fluently, you can't stand any chance to go big. And you need to be physical in Japan. Learn from what BoA did, I think that the right path to go.
To sum up :
1- Evaluate your voice / dancing skills if needed
2- Learn Japanese really really hard
3- Go to Japan.

#10 Yabisi

Yabisi

Robot BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

A little correction here, CKay is half African-American and Japanese, not Korean ^_^.

Ckay's mom is Korean, but she was born in Japan, which would make her a Japanese citizen. She's still half Korean by blood.

You should post your singing to get better feedback. Or...maybe you're just cute enough to get into the Korean industry, which would mean you don't really need to sing that good :P

Honestly, I'd shoot for the Japanese music industry since it's more open to foreigners, and they don't really care how you look. It's also the second largest music industry, and artists seem to have more freedom there. Korean mainstream relies heavily on looks, moreso than talent. A lot of the contracts include getting plastic surgery...if needed (lol?)

Or..just try and create a fanbase in your country and start from there. Youtube is a good way to get noticed, though nowadays it seems like you have to do something stupid or sing awful to get attention :huh:

#11 azn_blonde

azn_blonde

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Go for it! As long as you have a great voice, a fit, skinny or toned body, and good skin. Voice and image are key. The K-pop industry is very image conscious.

#12 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

A little correction here, CKay is half African-American and Japanese, not Korean ^_^. And that fact helps her a lot in her career since Japanese is also her native language. IMO, in Japan, if you don't sing Japanese really fluently, you can't stand any chance to go big. And you need to be physical in Japan. Learn from what BoA did, I think that the right path to go.
To sum up :
1- Evaluate your voice / dancing skills if needed
2- Learn Japanese really really hard
3- Go to Japan.

I don't entirely agree with singing/speaking fluently in Japanese part. They have a couple of foreign artist that aren't all that great in Japanese or aren't even fluent at all like: SNSD or Leah Dizon. I really think that if you don't speak fluent Korean then you won't stand a chance in KOREA. And I sort of agree with Yabisi on the fact that the Korean industry concentrates heavily on aesthetics. And maybe you should visit Korea and Japan someday and see what social life there is like? OR perhaps read a blog from a foreigner living in one of the two countries. I actually read a blog from a half black/half korean foreigner who teaches english in Korea and it gives you a very interesting perspective of things. Let me know if you want the link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users