#1 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate non-asian BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

POPULAR

I find that this college experience is a whirlwind. I am going to be going into my second semester of my Sophomore year in August and the cost gets higher while the financial aid decreases. I come from a rather messed up family. My mom and dad separated when I was 14 and my mom struggled to keep herself afloat. My dad ended up loosing his job and his life headed into a downward spiral. He ended up going to another rehab house (that was his 3, he has been in 4 so far). I ended up moving in with a family friend to finish my senior year because I didn't want to move in my senior year and leave all my friends. My father is in a better place now, he just got there about 6 months ago. However, he hasn't paid for anything for me since I was 15. He didn't even pay for my lunch money when I was in school, that was all my mom. When I graduated High School, I moved over with my mom and got my first job.
We ended up moving from New York to South Carolina, and to save money, I ended up taking a year and a half off between High School and College. Now, my mom is still a single parent and I am getting, mainly, financial aid and taking out loans to put myself through College. I also work and pay for my apartment that I share with two roommates. There is no way that I would be able to pay for college without financial aid, or I would be hugely in debt.
I am getting good grade, I have made the Dean's list every semester since I have started and I get more and more help as I get better grades. However, my school has been telling me that the Pell grant (financial aid) will be a lot smaller this coming year, but college cost will be increasing.

Then, this story on yahoo caught my eye. 63% of the college presidents think that students should pay for their education instead of relying on government help. So...lets allow the rich only to go to college, or the people that will end up having no free time to even sleep. What are your thoughts on this topic? The article is below if you would like to read it.

Posted Image
63 percent of college presidents think students should pay for education
By Liz Goodwin

College presidents and the American public have very different ideas about who should pay for college and whether higher education is a good deal, a new Pew Research Center study finds.

Almost two-thirds of the presidents of public and private four-year and two-year colleges say that students should pay for their own education.

Meanwhile, less than half of members of the general public agrees with that assessment, with a majority saying either the federal or state government, private donors, or a combination of those should pick up the largest share of a student's college tab.

Perhaps this reluctance to pay is due in part to a widespread belief that colleges are ripping people off. Nearly 60 percent of Americans say the U.S. higher education system is not providing students with a good value. And 75 percent of Americans say college is financially out of reach for most people.

Three-quarters of college presidents, on the other hand, say college is a good or excellent value, and 42 percent of them say college is affordable for most people.

Terry Hartle, chief lobbyist at the American Council on Education, tells the Lookout that there's a simple reason college presidents and the general public are so out of sync.

"I think the reason that college presidents think college is more affordable than the general public is that college presidents are acutely aware of how much money is going into student aid each year," he says. Hartle also points out that 25 years ago, when college was much cheaper on average, 60 percent of Americans said higher education was unaffordable for most people.

It's true that the sticker price of college has nearly tripled since 1980, even after costs are adjusted for inflation. Advocates of higher education, like Hartle, argue that grants and financial aid have filled that gap--but economists have found that the average family is paying a higher percentage of its income to finance college than it did 30 years ago. Families in the lowest 20th percentile of income have found college more financially out of reach over the same period, suggesting that financial aid has not kept pace with ballooning costs.

Meanwhile, six in 10 college presidents say students are less prepared for college and study less than their counterparts had 10 years ago. Their pessimism is borne out by research. A comprehensive study finds college students only study 12 hours a week on average. And a 2008 study found that one-third of college students are enrolled in pricey remedial courses because they lack proficiency in basic math or reading.

Hartle says skepticism over the value of a college education are not new: A 1976 Newsweek cover asked "Who Needs College?" and Harvard economist Richard Freeman argued in "The Overeducated American" the same year that as more Americans racked up degrees their value would go down. (The opposite has proven true so far.)

College graduates enjoy a strong economic advantage over lesser educated Americans on average. The Pew researchers estimate that the average college graduate makes $650,000 more over his or her lifetime than a high school graduate. And even if they don't think college was the best deal, more than 85 percent of college grads surveyed say their education was a good investment for them personally.

(Poll: Pew Research Center)

#2 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time. I'm also currently paying for college myself. And although I am lucky that I live with my parents I still have to pay for my phone bills, car insurance and school expenses myself. Right now I am actually working 6 days a week so I can pay for all my things. And that saddest thing of all is that I'm only attending a community college.

In fact I know a couple of people that have even left the local university here and transferred to a community college because they just can't afford to pay the rising tuition rates. It's purely ignorant for one to even THINK that the majority of Americans can afford to pay for college by themselves. Nor, are colleges at "good or excellent value". I can honestly say that there are moments where I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth when it comes to my education.

I know for a fact that by the time I'm completely finished with college that I WILL have some nasty student loans to pay back.

#3 hinachan

hinachan

Spending too much time online ^_^

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Then, this story on yahoo caught my eye. 63% of the college presidents think that students should pay for their education instead of relying on government help. So...lets allow the rich only to go to college, or the people that will end up having no free time to even sleep. What are your thoughts on this topic? The article is below if you would like to read it.

63% of college presidents need to resign. Their desire should be to educate everyone, not just rich people.

In many countries, university education is free, considered part of the public school system. IMHO, that's how it should be here. Let these college bigwigs earn money by actually working, instead of sitting on their butts and allowing frat parties, date rape, and the like to go on.

I was always a straight-A student, but I proudly say I never went to college, because it's just too distracting from getting a real education. The kids who want to learn don't get nearly as much attention as the jocks who bring in the big money for sporting events.

#4 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

I have to say that we're pretty lucky in Australia because our government and one of our biggest national banks offer all domestic students (depending on what course and what mark you finished with at the end of High School) loans that cover University tuition for the entirity of your undergraduate degree.

If you ask me, I definitely think that the government should ensure that higher education is easily accessable to anyone who is willing to study for it --not just the super students who can nab a scholarship. To me, education is one of the most important things a person can achieve. There are just somethings that you cannot learn anywhere else, and it's just incredibly hard to encounter people with minds as brilliant as those of many University Professors unless you're at university.

As for the statistics that show students studying less --maybe it's because most of the kiddies going to college these days are the rich ones mummy and daddy support. Of course they're going to study less --college is just a big party. At the end of it all, they'll probably just work for good ol' daddy. Call me a pessimist, but no matter how many hard working students there ARE in college, if the majority of students pretty much bought their way in, then there's probably not going to be much studying going on.

Education should be given to those who want it, need it and will appreciate it. It shouldn't be an excuse for rich kiddies to go play without the parents looming over their shoulders.

Just my 1 cent.

#5 Cori

Cori

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

As for the statistics that show students studying less --maybe it's because most of the kiddies going to college these days are the rich ones mummy and daddy support. Of course they're going to study less --college is just a big party. At the end of it all, they'll probably just work for good ol' daddy. Call me a pessimist, but no matter how many hard working students there ARE in college, if the majority of students pretty much bought their way in, then there's probably not going to be much studying going on.

Education should be given to those who want it, need it and will appreciate it. It shouldn't be an excuse for rich kiddies to go play without the parents looming over their shoulders

YES! I have encountered a number of people at my college that are really just there to party, and it makes me angry when I'll do my work and a majority of them ask me for the answers. "um sorry, but I don't help slackers" then I am seen as the bad guy. Oh well, this is college, I could care less what these people think about me.

In one of my lower classes (when I was a freshmen), my professor had us go around the room, introduce ourselves, say our majors, and say something random about ourselves. One girl, who was dressed really nice, had her hair all done up, make up done, etc. she introduced herself and pretty much stated "And I am here to party." She was serious too, throughout the year she would skip class, come in the next class and talk about how to went out and had a hang over from the night before so she couldn't come to class. In the end, she failed.

Also, sports people just go to college to continue doing sports. A guy this semester was in my American History class and didn't study, didn't show up a lot of the time, and would sometimes fall asleep in class when he did come. He talked about how he was just there so he could play baseball. Also, he was one of those rich kids, you could tell by his nice phone, shoes, watch, and I saw the car he drove. =/

The only good thing that comes out of it is that, a majority of the time, the professors can tell the difference between those students that don't want to be there and those that do. Not all, but most. But that doesn't help our tuition go down at all...unfortunately.

#6 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

You need a good education to get a nice job , but ironically enough , you need a nice job to afford that very education. It's stupid how things work out. Why the hell is college so expensive anyways?

#7 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

YES! I have encountered a number of people at my college that are really just there to party, and it makes me angry when I'll do my work and a majority of them ask me for the answers. "um sorry, but I don't help slackers" then I am seen as the bad guy. Oh well, this is college, I could care less what these people think about me.

You should have given them the wrong answers --I would have, lol.

#8 Seri

Seri

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

I also think that paying for college can be a real hassle. I do understand that some colleges don't get financial support from the government to renew facilities, pay for their professors etc. but still...

I'm from Germany and we never really had very high fees to pay, compared to other countries. The fees we had to pay only were 500€ (~450$ or something) and people were already climbing walls. So now we students won and the fees will be gone starting from the next semester. Even at that time, when I had to pay fees I found it kinda stupid for me since I also went to work to afford a better living and paying my rent. My parents help me a lot and I have quite an amount of money on the bank. However, who would want to profit from their parent's money or spend all of the money you saved before even really starting to live? I personally don't, so I'm really thankful that there no longer are fees to pay since I never really saw where the money went to. And we're still lacking profs so they can't tell me that they actually make use of that big amount of money. If they used it after all, I would probably approve...
We do have a certain system that allows students whose parent's don't earn enough money loan money from a special insitution without any interests and half of the whole amount doesn't have to be paid back. I guess it's a nice idea to help those who wouldn't be able to afford the living expenses. Though sometimes I really feel that it's not that fair for people like me who don't get this support just because your parent's earn too much money or something. It's not that everybody really wants to draw support from their parents >.<

However, when I hear of fees like 6000$ and in some countries, even more for normal colleges, I wonder why they have to take so much money from their students. They really should think about another solution IMO. Especially, since there really are many people who go to college just to enjoy a so said "student's life"

#9 Cori

Cori

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

I spend about $4500 a SEMESTER. That doesn't even count the parking pass or books and I DON'T live on campus. So to cut out more costs, I ride my bike to school (I only live about 5 minutes from campus, then to get to my buildings for class it can take 10 to 15 minutes. Keeps my active.) and I either rent books for less then HALF the price to buy them, or buy used books.
Since I get on the dean's list, I have received a bit more financial aid then the norm but I still need to take out loans because it doesn't even cover the cost of half of my schooling. The university I am going to isn't even a well known school! It's not like I am going to Berkley or Browns, I am going to Coastal Carolina University.
They also keep building buildings! At the moment they have at least 3 new building projects going on at the moment and these aren't even going to add any parking lots, which is the number one needed thing, I think. It just feels like America (I can't speak for other countries, but from the other things I have heard about from people around the states...) is screwing everyone over in what ever way they can, no matter the age. College Students, Drivers, Workers, etc.
I just don't get it! The cost of living has increased and yet we don't get paid more to cover the costs.

My professor last semester, who is in his 60's, told us he only had to spend $600 a year when he went to college in his 20's...we were all VERY jealous...

#10 xac

xac

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

I am currently working on country prosperity. How countries should rely on one another. How to produce wealth. The prospect of a country. Creating the International to provide communication between the Rich and the Needy. Allowing the Rich to set an example to influence the surrounding. Developing world class service to improve life and raise the standard of living.

To achieve this i need a lot of people to contribute and commit to this project.

There are people with bad habit. They will be left out in this growing society. It is the time for young generation to prove themselves.

You must be sensible to choose your friends correctly. People may have negative attitude but they have their strength. They need people to discover them. People who like partying have great socializing ability. They can play a part in Event Planner, Band Manager and PR Officer.

Edited by xac, 01 June 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#11 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

My professor last semester, who is in his 60's, told us he only had to spend $600 a year when he went to college in his 20's...we were all VERY jealous...

yea I think it's called inflation aye...

#12 Cori

Cori

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

^well I am not an idiot.

However from the cost of $600 a YEAR to $10,000 a year in 40 years is a little out there.

#13 Airforce

Airforce

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

^well I am not an idiot.

hahah love the rhetoric :D

#14 justforboa

justforboa

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

yea I think it's called inflation aye...

No, inflation is only a minor effect. Let's do the math. Inflation has been more or less been 2% per year, on average.

$600(1.02)^40 = $1324.82

$1324.82 is nowhere near $10,000.

Cori, what are you majoring in? I will use this information to give you a rough estimate of your return on investment from your university education. Honestly, $4500 per semester for a non-prestigious university is too expensive. The non-prestigious university is a reason why you see so many kids partying. I hope you can keep those grades up. Employers need to distinguish you from everyone else who parties at school.

I think there should be interest-free loans for university for the duration of the study period. The U.S. government, at the federal, state, and local level do not have more money for education. A number of cities and states are nearly in default status.

As for cheap tuition in Germany or Europe in general, yes, but you have to pay much higher taxes than America. But, even with higher taxes, a number of European countries such as Greece will be unable to pay back their debts in the near future. Plus, if you only speak English, it wouldn't be useful to study in the EU.

The American Dream is not as powerful anymore. Social mobility is on the decline. The economy and the currency will decline as well. No wonder the Occupy Wall Street movement started around the same time you created this thread. I'm short on U.S. and long on Asia.

Edited by justforboa, 29 July 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#15 Atlantis Princess

Atlantis Princess

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• BoAjjang Subtitles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think College/university should be paid for, universities need some income as they get no help from the government, or extremely little. But should be done more in the way of the UK education system.

University here costs me £3500 (I'm on the old scheme, it's now £9000 for new students) a year but that is paid for by the Student Loan Company. Only once I have left university and earning over £16,000 a year will they start to take money back. It is worked out on how much I earn and then deducted from my pay packet, I wouldn't even know it's gone. Interest is added to this, but it will be the cheapest loan I ever have.

I feel American college education is overpriced, it truly is education for the rich. If you had better financial support it wouldn't be too bad.

On a side note, you still get the people who just come to university to party in the UK. These people make me angry, there are so many students who didn't quite get the grades but would give their left leg for a place at uni. I've often been called boring by people because I'd rather stay in and get my assignment done and get the best grade possible.

Edited by Atlantis Princess, 29 July 2012 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users