#1 bokachu

bokachu

BoA News Machine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image

On an online community board, a photo of BoA was posted with a comment that said: “Here’s BoA who, before coming upon the stage, replaces a Japanese flag attached on her sponsored outfit with Taeguekgi, the national flag of Korea. She’s attended Music Japan, a famous Japanese year-end music show, five times in a row but wore kimono, a Japanese traditional costume, not once.”

In the photo, she wore a white sleeveless shirt clearly revealing her bellybutton, a yellow jumper with Taeguekgi attached to, and denim short pants to match. It is said the outstanding yellow jumper is the outfit she first wore in 2005 when she appeared on MKMF. At the time, she reformed the jumper by replacing a Japanese flag with a Korean one. When the news came out, the reformed jacket has garnered much attention.

Besides the comment, fans have posted their writings of similar cases regarding BoA: “Wherever she holds a concert, she never misses the last-minute ritual of saying ‘Thank you’ in Korean.” “She’s busy introducing Korean culture when she appears on Japanese programs.”

People who read the comments said: “She is a person who knows what she’s doing.” “She’s different from, you know, other celebrities.” “She sincerely loves her country.”

By Ji Seong-hee

Source: Style M (Original article in Korean)
Photo from Style M
Translated by Geum Jae / Korea.com

credit: dkpopnews

#2 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

LOL it's not like I'm saying BoA doesn't love Korea- her country, but those above are more like "SM know what they're doing" because all of BoA's outfit needs to be "approved" by her managers/producers, even what she says in interviews and stuff like that. Especially when it comes to Japan-Korea- a wound which is still sensitive in Korean's hearts. I recall somewhere long time ago, there was a debate/article about whether BoA bowed lower in Japan than she did in Korea! And that just for a bow, can you imagine if BoA wore that jumper with a Japan flag to perform on a stage in Korea? God she would have got verbal slashed to pieces or it would have been the end of her career too !! If you know Vicki Zhao at all - an Chinese actress/singer, she wore a dress just resembling Japan war flag and the media & Chinese made it a big scandal.
Any professional producers/managers wouldn't let that mistake happen.
That's some thing I gotta give Korean entertainment people respect, they pay attention very closely to keep their artists away from scandals as far as possible.

#3 orchidjadedx

orchidjadedx

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

i'm proud of boa and sm for keeping it safe....but on the other hand i don't think that there's any harm when wearing something purely for fashion of another country, i mean it's only for fashion sense so sometimes i don't understand what's the big deal...

#4 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

If BoA wore a kimono Koreans will be like "OMGAWD SHE BETRAY US! :o!" "LETS GO SACK HER HOUSE AND BURN IT DOWN!"

If anyone is wondering how BoA might look like a kimono, there's a very nice, well-done portrait in the Eye Candy section somewhere.

Personally to me it's not a big deal, for North Americans its not really a big deal, but I find Asians overall have issues with each other.

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 11 July 2011 - 07:21 AM.

#5 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

i'm proud of boa and sm for keeping it safe....but on the other hand i don't think that there's any harm when wearing something purely for fashion of another country, i mean it's only for fashion sense so sometimes i don't understand what's the big deal...

Personally to me it's not a big deal, for North Americans its not really a big deal, but I find Asians overall have issues with each other.

I agree with you guys, it's not a big deal to me. But maybe because we weren't in that bad time in the history so we couldn't really feel the pain they felt.
Not only Japan-Korea-China- or even my country Vietnam in Asia, but let say if BoA wore something resembling Natzi, I don't think it will be okay either in US or Europe or any where in the world.

Just bear in mind, there are two things that public icons never touch: religion & politic.

#6 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

I agree with you guys, it's not a big deal to me. But maybe because we weren't in that bad time in the history so we couldn't really feel the pain they felt.
Not only Japan-Korea-China- or even my country Vietnam in Asia, but let say if BoA wore something resembling Natzi, I don't think it will be okay either in US or Europe or any where in the world.

Just bear in mind, there are two things that public icons never touch: religion & politic.

Yeah but the Kimono is neither of those, its an article of clothing that evolved out of the Chinese Hanfu as the descendants of the Yamato Japanese were actually settlers from the Kingdom of Wa in China.

While the Nazi Swastika was a symbol of the frightening regime of Hitler. Why compare the two?!

So wearing a Kimono should be totally fine, and if South Korea reacts negatively then they are seriously insecure, especially the fact that their musicians are all debuting in Japan for the cash.

#7 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yeah but the Kimono is neither of those, its an article of clothing that evolved out of the Chinese Hanfu as the descendants of the Yamato Japanese were actually settlers from the Kingdom of Wa in China.

While the Nazi Swastika was a symbol of the frightening regime of Hitler. Why compare the two?!

So wearing a Kimono should be totally fine, and if South Korea reacts negatively then they are seriously insecure, especially the fact that their musicians are all debuting in Japan for the cash.

I am not comparing anything, just a scenario for an example. And again, BoA & her managers wouldn't risk it by wearing the kimono if it not really necessary. It's not like you don't know the media, they find any chance they can to bring you down.
And btw, I didn't not even mention kimono in my post, I was talking about the Japan flag on the jumper :ph34r:

#8 otsugua

otsugua

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

I know this is extremely off-topic, but can a mod change the title to Patriotism? Haha.

#9 alsrudtj124

alsrudtj124

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• BoAjjang Translator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

As a Korean myself, I would feel a bit betrayed if she wore a Japanese flag on her jumper and not Korea's. Partly, I guess it stems from the fact that Westerners always treat Asians as one whole group and not identifying the different nationalities within it. So if a popular Asian celebrity was not promoting his/her own country and nationality/ethnicity, then it would feel like a betrayal. But I am also a Millennium child so I'm more open with other cultures and even accept and promote Japanese culture (because I like it, plain and simple). If she wore a kimono on a Japanese stage for a special event such as a festival or something similar, I wouldn't mind at all. However, if she wore a kimono on a Korean stage, then yes, it would again feel like a betrayal.

#10 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Because, during WWII, the Japanese were allies with Nazi Germany. Even Americans old enough to remember the war felt great animosity toward the Japanese for decades--some still do, as evidenced by some of the horrible statements some netizens made about Fukushima being "payback" for WWII. *shudder*

Because of what Japan did to other Asian countries, those countries' citizens--particularly the older ones--view *anything* Japanese as being akin to how we here view the Nazi swastika.

So the comparison is very apt...but I hope the pop cultural exchange among the Asian countries will create a younger generation that views Asia as "us", rather than "us vs. them". :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users