Photo

Why did BoA drop her U.S. tour so quickly? Is she coming back?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostfreak

Ghostfreak

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

I've only been a fan of BoA for a few years but I was extremely excited to hear she was coming to the U.S. a couple years ago...A few months later I did not hear any of her songs on the radio...I found one performance on YouTube of her in the U.S. and that was about it.

Upon reading her wikipedia it looks like she made an appearance with Solange Knowles? Solange? She should be on stage with Beyonce not Solange...

It seems she returned to Japan after being unable to find a following in the U.S...I supported her in every way I could...I bought her music through iTunes following her YouTube trail but I felt like her management staff really failed her here. They should have analyzed the American market first and tried harder to book better showings. Release a really hit single that would have put her on the map...As good as 'Energetic' and 'I Did It For Love' were they weren't No. 1 material...

Is there any word on her ever returning to the U.S.? Her management staff really should have talked to the right producers in the industry to get her a kick start.

#2 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

BoA's staff and management in Japan and USA both suck nowadays.

Its only SM Korea that's doing her justice right now.

Its quite annoying, I mean its her 10th Japanese anniversary and there's nothing going on. I feel like I'm left in the dust, because I'm a J-pop fans and I was really hoping BoA would do something.

As for the USA, BoA will be back there next year, expect promotions for COBU 3D. Its premiering in Berlin International Film Festival. Don't expect a tour by BoA in USA if they can't even bother to book her in TV shows.

Hell, Wonder Girls was in So You Think You Can Dance, that was a slap in the face. There was really zero effort in BoA's USA career. It should have been BoA in Wango Tango with Charice and Iyaz, not Wonder Girls....

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 19 July 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#3 bokachu

bokachu

BoA News Machine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

I heard she said the reason she and SM couldn't freely promote and stay in the US for a long time was the contract with Avex.

10th anniversary in Japan? She couldn't be in Japan. Don't rant about how Avex didn't do anything.

Doing what? release an album without any promotion by the singer?

She said herself that the album and tour will be for next year

#4 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

I heard she said the reason she and SM couldn't freely promote and stay in the US for a long time was the contract with Avex.

10th anniversary in Japan? She couldn't be in Japan. Don't rant about how Avex didn't do anything.

Doing what? release an album without any promotion by the singer?

She said herself that the album and tour will be for next year

What the hell is the purpose for those BIllboards around Tokyo promoting her 10th Anniversary for? One year advanced? Something is planned for this year, but from what I'm getting it seems to be less spectacular. Be honest, the only thing they will do for her 10th anniversary is release some half-assed compilation album (==" ).

BoA said in December 2010 during her Christmas Live that she will celebrate her 10th Japanese anniversary in 2011, not 2012. BoA said she would "spend more time with her Japanese fans next year (2011) and told her staff to make sure it happens." I think we are going to get a compilation album plus some sort of tour perhaps in November or December. But really I was expecting something more for her 10th Japanese anniversary, I mean really (==" )... I don't even think we are getting two new songs, she's performing in a-nation and Summer Sonic next month and we've heard zero news about "two new promotional songs." BoA never said she was releasing a Japanese album in 2012, where'd you get that? What tour? Where did you hear a 2012 tour?

The excuse about Avex Trax's contract is lame. BoA had plenty of time to promote in the USA. I remember there were times where for months BoA wouldn't perform, we were left to wonder "Where the hell is BoA? Is she in Japan to promote or USA?" My question is, all those times where BoA was missing in action, what where they doing?! They could've easily set BoA up to appear to an American TV show with all that time BoA being missing in action and all. Just read the opening thread's statement, practically the only promotion Energetic had in the USA was the San Francisco performance. After that we didn't hear anything form BoA for months until November came and we got BUMP! BUMP! BUMP! In that huge 5 month gap from June to November what the hell was BoA doing?! BoA also said in the San Francisco Gay Pride 2009 she would be there to perform again next year (2010). Pfft that never happened.

I'm saying this as a concerned fan, her American music career is a mess. Everything was so disorganized and it seemed like SM USA did not do any research whatsoever. Eat You Up had two music videos, they scrapped Warren and chose that Korean director's version after fans complained how ugly the Warren version was. How disorganized is that?! When BoA's photo shoots for her album cover surfaced, the one by Markos Klinko, fans rioted and said it looked ugly, it did. SM USA had to re-shoot a new album cover. Ugh... just one huge mess. Remember that time BoA appeared in an American radio station? The radio hosts said her newest release was "BEST&USA" but that's unavailable in USA, did SM USa not inform the hosts what her new release was?

The best promotion BoA received was when that Asian dancer in So You Think You Can Dance used "Did Ya" for her dance. Thats just sad.

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 19 July 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#5 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Recently, BoA was spotted in SM's rehearsal building. Heechul posted pictures of him, her, and another trainee/singer in the dance studio, with BoA playing/learning how to play guitar.

As for the posters, wouldn't it look kind of stupid for them to promote her ten year anniversary NEXT year...? >_> I am just throwing that out there. I think that the promotions throughout Tokyo were simply for the limited editions pins and postcards, to be honest. Those were the only set of promotions that were made. It wasn't like they were showing clips of a new MV/song and then never supplied it. Those billboards were so simple and didn't reveal really anything. It didn't promise anything. The only word put into question is the word "START" on the billboards.

Start what?...maybe this year (up until May 30th of 2012) will be the year of BoA. New Japanese album, along with debuting in Hollywood with a dance film. She is under contract so she needs to produce some type of product or begin producing some sort of product. Also, I think SM Ent would find a way to get her out of that contract instead of leaving her high and dry in Japan, when they could sign her to SM Japan. Already being such a well known singer, even if just for "Every Heart" amongst anime fans, she would draw further interest to SM Japan.

Also, I think her doing this tour idea in the US was scraped due to her not-so-great popularity. Credit, she did have us Jpop/Kpop fans, and gained a few more US fans, however sales were so bad that I think if a tour was done, it would overall be a financial loss for SM USA. SM IS all the about the money.

#6 EddwardMyName

EddwardMyName

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

i kind of think she should stay in korea for a couple of years & then go back to japan .

#7 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

^
I doubt that is possible with her contract with Avex. Isn't there an interval in which she has to make albums? Not only that but if she were to leave Japan(especially for years) I really think that whatever popularity she has will just disappear. I think the only reason she was able to do that with Korea was because she was at the peak of her popularity. But with things going the way they are in Japan she needs a TURBO boost not a hiatus :/

And as for her touring in the US again. I doubt it. I know she said she wanted to come back again but I can only imagine her promoting COBU 3D and not much else...Maybe some source will mention her US album but again...I doubt it >.>

#8 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

You can't expect SM USA to have a lot of events lined up for her without any connections. They're an indie label, so she's not going to be able to promote as well as newcomers under huge labels (i.e., Jive, Island Def Jam, etc). SM Ent. is huge in Korea but not in America, so you can't ask for the same level of promotions. Although SM was a huge mess in the states, her lack of promotion opportunities wasn't entirely their fault. No connections = no promotions. JYP is just better connected.

As for her tour, if she had one, it would have been a huge flop. The flopped album should be enough of an indication that she's unpopular here, so if she held a tour, it would have to be a super small one that Asian artists hold when they come here, lol. Her audience would be primarily Asian/whoever was in her fanbase prior to her debut in the states.

#9 TaMai

TaMai

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

This was mentioned previously, but, obviously, if there's any new album in the works for her Japanese Anniversary, it'll probably be more towards the end of this year/into the beginning of next year.
I don't know exactly when or even if BoA will move to another record label, but, Avex isn't exactly doing much for her these days aside from holding her down to her contract. I wish she was able to move somewhat more freely like Utada and give herself some actual time for a proper US debut.

No offense to majority of the fans here but, honestly, sometimes it takes a while to get yourself out there and get yourself known. [I'll probably be murdered for this but,] Justin Bieber and his staff had him doing minor events (at schools, and whatnot) and a full-on radio tour. They got him anywhere they possibly could, at any given time, and practically had to build and make their own exposure/press. BoA will probably need to do the same or latch herself onto a big name to get people interested in her in the first place. Aside from old InuYasha/anime fans who've heard "Every Heart" or have been apart of the JPop/Kpop scene for a relatively long time [because a lot of newbies even do this] to them it's just, 'Boa? A snake? Bank of America? Who's that?'

It's true, SM does need better connections and get her seeing the right people so they can go and think, "If she's the next big thing; we're putting her out there." The one thing JYP had was taking the Wonder Girls out of the Korean scene and stick them in the US to tour alongside with the Jonas Brothers. To anyone who says they've "made it" you're highly mistaken, they're with Disney/Nick Cannon, that isn't even mainstream music. Most fans don't go to see them, they go for the main acts, point blank. To be totally honest, I'm not surprised in the least that they got stuck with Disney and such because mainstream pop isn't looking for "idol groups" or girl/boy "bands" [unless you're pop rock or something like BEP, in which case, go for it.] Maybe they can't get her into Def Jam or JIVE, but, hey, at least get her somewhere in the states, not just LA.

The one thing this COBU deal is working for BoA are quite simple: her name, her face, & her dancing -- Statewide [possibly even internationally too.] To any fan of dance movies, just a plain old movie go-er, or fans of 'Dancing with the Stars' -- whoever sees COBU and sees her [and if they get an interest] will probably do what most people do nowadays, "Who is this girl? -google-....Oh! She has an album out here! -preview her stuff on youtube-." Now, don't get me wrong, most people might criticize or overlook her completely but, at least it's getting her more actual action in the U.S. market than tiny previews of EYU/IDIFL on the N [That was all I actually saw of her here, and it disappointed me to no end.]

First thing's first, get her music actually playing on the radio. And not just on KIIS FM, or on the West or even in 1 interview [I never even heard the interview she had here in D.C., seriously sad!] - get her singles out there!

She did mention that she is taking it slow, and honestly, if she's happy -- I'm happy. Selling hasn't always been her priority as an artist, what matters to her is enjoying what she does. I could be happy as a clam if she started out like Katy Perry doing tiny club gigs, moving up to Warped Tour, and finally headlining her own solo tour here in the U.S.; She's going to need some better staff for now, but, if's comfortable at the pace she's going at, then, I'd perfer that than having these crazy expectations of Korean comeback+More Japanese work+Make it big in the States. She is, after all, 1 person.

Edited by TaMai, 20 July 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#10 jessiep

jessiep

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:23 AM

I'm hoping that she'll eventually have one once she's done with the movie promotion (and if the movie will somewhat succeed). What I want from BoA now is to continue doing one thing at a time and having fun while doing it. It seems like she's kinda having some control over her career now.

#11 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

I'm hoping that she'll eventually have one once she's done with the movie promotion (and if the movie will somewhat succeed). What I want from BoA now is to continue doing one thing at a time and having fun while doing it. It seems like she's kinda having some control over her career now.

Yeah I kind of want want a 2nd attempt at the USA music industry somewhere in the future...

Although when it comes to Asians succeeding in USA, its just so hard. Americans don't like Asians blocking up their music industry. Really Asians get judged much more compared to all the other races. A White chic singing terrible will get lots of backlash. An Asian chic singing terrible will get a backlash, then a cut into pieces and fed to dogs. Its that much harder.\

EDIT:

About the USA, I agree that things will and should start slow, especially for a solo act like BoA who is still improving her English (fortunately she's a fast learner). There is no denying that SM USA managed her so badly. That is what I still think. Those radio tours they did was a mess, everything was so disorganized.

I'm not blaming BoA, I'm blaming how her staff organized her USA activities. I remember being constantly confused during that time, I had no idea what SM USA was doing, and it seemed like they didn't have a clue either. I wonder how much money they lost (i.e. hiring Khan to direct I Did It For Love).

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 22 July 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#12 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Although when it comes to Asians succeeding in USA, its just so hard. Americans don't like Asians blocking up their music industry. Really Asians get judged much more compared to all the other races. A White chic singing terrible will get lots of backlash. An Asian chic singing terrible will get a backlash, then a cut into pieces and fed to dogs. Its that much harder.\

If it's so hard for Asians to make it here, Charice wouldn't have had a Top Ten album in the USA, and a Top Five album in Canada. If anything, she did worse in Asia, her album only reaching #25 in South Korea.

It has nothing to do with race, but talent and promotion. Asians who tried to make it here have invariably screwed up big-time. Rain's dealings with American promoters were a white-hot mess, Utada's album and lyrics just plain sucked, BoA's promotion was nonexistent outside the Asian-American community. Artists of ALL races fail miserably here, because of circumstances like this. It's just that you don't hear about them, because you don't follow their (failed) careers.

Look at BoA in Japan...it's not about race, it's about lousy promotion and lackluster music, period. :(

#13 geniebkiseki

geniebkiseki

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

@TaMai: Your whole comment is WIN! I just wanted to let you know that ^^

I especially agree that the movie will in some form or fashion get her some attention in the US. What the people do after they see the movie and look up who is BoA is entirely in the air. I just pray for the more positive effects xD

#14 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

If it's so hard for Asians to make it here, Charice wouldn't have had a Top Ten album in the USA, and a Top Five album in Canada. If anything, she did worse in Asia, her album only reaching #25 in South Korea.

It has nothing to do with race, but talent and promotion. Asians who tried to make it here have invariably screwed up big-time. Rain's dealings with American promoters were a white-hot mess, Utada's album and lyrics just plain sucked, BoA's promotion was nonexistent outside the Asian-American community. Artists of ALL races fail miserably here, because of circumstances like this. It's just that you don't hear about them, because you don't follow their (failed) careers.

Look at BoA in Japan...it's not about race, it's about lousy promotion and lackluster music, period. :(

Charice had the help of Oprah and David Foster. When Oprah is the one advising your career, there's a lot of connections. Also Charice has an incredible voice, but she still isn't as popular because she looks "ugly" (ugh the nerve of some people). The USA still has many racist folks. You have no idea the times I've read "wonky eyed Asian chicks in USA" or "Beyoncé/Britney Spears Asians, I can't stand them" comments.

Also it helps Charice is a Filipino, since Filipinos are the 2nd largest Asian minorities in the USA. Every public appearances Charice has in the states, whether it be a radio concert, mall tour, etc. about 70% - 80% of the crowds are Filipino. This is one of the issues Charice fans actually have right now, to actually attract the American audience, not the Filipino-American audience.

It is tougher for Asians. There hasn't been a #1 Asian artist in North America since ever. Asians are the only race that has not produced a global, world, recognized everywhere, artist.

I will support whatever Asian acts who try in North America, but right now there seems to be double standards when it comes to Asians.

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 22 July 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#15 Yabisi

Yabisi

Robot BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

This.

Charice had the help of Oprah and David Foster. When Oprah is the one advising your career, there's a lot of connections. Also Charice has an incredible voice, but she still isn't as popular because she looks "ugly" (ugh the nerve of some people). The USA still has many racist folks. You have no idea the times I've read "wonky eyed Asian chicks in USA" or "Beyoncé/Britney Spears Asians, I can't stand them" comments.

Also it helps Charice is a Filipino, since Filipinos are the 2nd largest Asian minorities in the USA. Every public appearances Charice has in the states, whether it be a radio concert, mall tour, etc. about 70% - 80% of the crowds are Filipino. This is one of the issues Charice fans actually have right now, to actually attract the American audience, not the Filipino-American audience.

Um...this was Charice's first shot at America, and she did very good. It takes most new singers years to even make a dent in the American industry. She had all of those connections and she succeeded, so what are you complaining about?

USA is an immigrant country, so you are bound to get people from different cultures clashing since it's so diverse. USA is not even half as judgemental as other countries...especially those in Eastern Asia. I don't see any non-Asians debuting and getting anywhere in Korea...can you explain why that is? In America, you get chances that aren't based on your race, whereas in Asia, if you aren't Asian then your chances are closer to 0%. They look down upon Blacks in society, and yet when they want to debut in the states, they look for help from producers who, most of the time, are Black. I'm sure they have a lot of bad things to say about people who don't have white skin too.

If people aren't succeeding in what they do, blame it on the companies for not putting in the money to promote them. Blame the artists for not being able to understand the culture of that country, and having poor English skills to the point where they can't converse with potential fans. But don't be ignorant and blame it on their race.

It is tougher for Asians. There hasn't been a #1 Asian artist in North America since ever. Asians are the only race that has not produced a global, world, recognized everywhere, artist.

Tougher for Asians? I don't see any internationally famous full-blooded Native American singers, and their race is originally from America. Can you tell me why that is? What about full-blooded Brown people? Any famous singers in the states that are popular worldwide?

I will support whatever Asian acts who try in North America, but right now there seems to be double standards when it comes to Asians.

..Do you even like music at all? You're going to support someone just because they're Asian, and disregard the fact that they might not even sing good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users