Photo

tell me if i'm right?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Has SM effectively sent BoA's US chances down the toilet? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Has SM failed their mission of beaking BoA out into the US?

1. Yes (9 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. That remains to be seen (8 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. No (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IAmTheOne

IAmTheOne

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Have SM failed BoA as far as the US goes? In my opinion, Yes!
Her english debut only sold 8,000 copies!
The only chart she managed to top was the dance chart and pacific heat seekers!
There was BARELY an impact in the USA!
When Eat you up was released, i tried to get z100 to play it, believe me I tried like 20 times!
I AM ANGRY!
so am i right or am I counting my chickens before they hatch?

Edited by IAmTheOne, 08 August 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#2 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

Well, I would say going to US was still a trial step to kinda probe. And everything is still too soon to say whether it failed. But so far, BoA has been more successful than the predecessors like Bi (Rain) or Se7en. I don't have the number for Se7en's sales, but we would hear about it if it had made anything big. And he debut in US in 2006-2007 and he hasn't had anything else since then. Bi was a little better with his movies, but he was still another Asian actor in numerous Asian actors in Hollywood.
BoA just debut in 2009, and her movie is not even out yet, so IMO it's unfair to call it a failure. Yet. Time will answer.

So to your original question, my answer is : you are neither right or wrong. It's just not the time yet for a conclusion about her career in US.

#3 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:53 AM

They failed big-time with the promotion of her first album, yes.
Will there be another album, and will that promotion be messed up? Too soon to say.
We can only hope COBU 3D will generate interest, and that BoA does well in that film. :)

#4 catzi87

catzi87

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

its really hard to break into the u.s. and stick. i think the music from her english album was more like the sort of popular music now. i think she'd do better now as far as radio popularity. but there is a need for serious promo when you don't have a leg in the market. hopefully there will be more to come.

#5 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

They failed big-time with the promotion of her first album, yes.
Will there be another album, and will that promotion be messed up? Too soon to say.
We can only hope COBU 3D will generate interest, and that BoA does well in that film. :)

This post sums up what I would have said.

#6 *mij*

*mij*

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

Maybe the album was too much pop? An awesome ballad in a movie would do great? When her song was played during so you think you can dance, that song was listed nr 1 on the last.fm page! So all i.think was the lack of global promotion and style on the album :( because boa did great!

#7 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

So far, SM failed.

BoA needed a major English intensive course for one thing, she was so cute but really awkward and sometimes unprofessional in the English interviews. Compare to Japanese or Korean interviews where BoA is very professional. BoA's English seemed unnatural and scripted, she also made multiple grammatical mistakes.

Bad promotions, I'm still pissed off they didn't send BoA to do a bunch of radio concerts and television performances while Wonder Girls did all that plus opening for the Jonas Brothers.

We'll see if COBU will make up for it by 2012. Also BoA's English has really improved a lot, I'm hoping she's less awkward when interacting with American audiences...

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 01 September 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#8 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

So far, yes...
SM should bear most of the blame, but many parties contributed to the lack of success.
SM and Avex in having her debut collide with Japanese promotions, so she ended up flying back and forth between two countries and flopping in both. The terrible scheduling contributed to lackluster performances, bad English, and bad promotion.
SM and BoA in the awkward and scripted English as mentioned in the post above. I remember Se7en had a Korean interview in which he stated that he and BoA hung out during their time in America and that they could only say, "Thank you, good luck" in English because they both ONLY started learning English when they arrived in America. -____-
BoA in performances. With the exception of SF Pride, which was REALLY good, I do not think she performed to her usual standards (i.e., CityWalk, Jingle Ball Village), perhaps due to the jetlag?
SM in the songs... I liked them, but I can see why it got so many negative reviews (no personality, too many songs that sound that same)
SM in overall promotion. They have limited resources in America, so they should have gotten her signed somewhere BIG instead of thinking that they could "blow up" as an indie label.

Edited by MOTOWAYohsixfive, 02 September 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#9 otsugua

otsugua

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

Am I the only one that is tired of talking and hearing and seeing about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users