29 replies to this topic

#16 megawarrior

megawarrior

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

I expect them to drop like a rock on iTunes by Friday once the stans stop buying it multiple times.

#17 Cori

Cori

Teh Hajiman Sexy Fail Kru's Ultimate BoA fan

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

I am a SNSD fan, have been since their debut and I must say I was REALLY disappointed with this single. Not to mention, I am even more upset with SM because they seem to be throwing all the "better" promotions SNSD's way, where BoA was left high and dry for her English debut. There is an ad for "The Boys" English version in Time Square and other places all over the world. A friend also showed me an article talking about how SNSD will be performing at the Madison Square Garden and failed to mention SMTown at all. I can't find it, but when I do, I will be sure to post it. It was rather comical. They were trying to make it a bigger deal then what it was.

Honestly, I don't think SNSD can make it in American with a song like that. Granted, it is "Americanized" in a way, but it is so...not them! This isn't what made fans fall in love with them. Yes, i know they can't do goody-two-shoes poppy songs for the rest of their days, but this is a complete 180...in a BAD way. I DISLIKE the "Girls Generation make you feel the heat blah blah blah..." part so much, it's just...ugh! And NO, I don't think this is a song I will need "getting used to."

I am not really looking forward to the live performance of it at SMTown....=/

#18 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

^Yea alo.. No EVERYONE hates the chorus rofl.

But you know , If they are going to make it in America they have to appeal to the right groups. Like people around my age and this type of music is EXACTLY what would appeal to them. Besides a couple choppy lines and a bad chorus this song probably would have scored waaaaaaaaaaay higher. Not that I condone SM favoring SNSD over BoA, but I also think this song has far more potential than EYU. I mean sure EYU had nice dancing all of her tracks did but the style of the song is kind of "Dated" if that's the word i'm looking for .Don't get me wrong i like her album for the most part ,but when I first listened to EYU my first though was "this sounds like something my parents would listen to.. " The boys had amazing choreo, and an awesome beat and I really loved the vocals by the girls in this song.And the style certainly is "up to date" But then there's the chorus :censored: .

Again not saying that I approve of the fact that SM put more effort into SNSD than BoA. I think if someone like teddy composed some tracks for BoA.. .. ..omg

Just my 2 cents

#19 WeLuvUBoA-kiddo

WeLuvUBoA-kiddo

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Hiatus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

I am a SNSD fan, have been since their debut and I must say I was REALLY disappointed with this single. Not to mention, I am even more upset with SM because they seem to be throwing all the "better" promotions SNSD's way, where BoA was left high and dry for her English debut. There is an ad for "The Boys" English version in Time Square and other places all over the world. A friend also showed me an article talking about how SNSD will be performing at the Madison Square Garden and failed to mention SMTown at all. I can't find it, but when I do, I will be sure to post it. It was rather comical. They were trying to make it a bigger deal then what it was.

Honestly, I don't think SNSD can make it in American with a song like that. Granted, it is "Americanized" in a way, but it is so...not them! This isn't what made fans fall in love with them. Yes, i know they can't do goody-two-shoes poppy songs for the rest of their days, but this is a complete 180...in a BAD way. I DISLIKE the "Girls Generation make you feel the heat blah blah blah..." part so much, it's just...ugh! And NO, I don't think this is a song I will need "getting used to."

I am not really looking forward to the live performance of it at SMTown....=/

THANK YOU!! I wanted to write that when I first when I heard about about them being put under Interscope for the single. EXCUSE ME . . . INTERSCOPE, SM way to make BoA your guinea pig and make her debut under your unsuccessful Indie label who does not have a clue about how to handle the US market nor promote. And you know what makes even more mad, when BoA wasn't successful . . . it was called a failure for those who didn't understand that half-*ss promotions because of SM. But for SNSD it's forgiveable. That's not right, to call BoA a failure for something that was a problem way bigger than herself.

I love SNSD and the girls are sweet hearts, but SM, I loath them on a level close to that of Avex. I love SM town for being a family but their company definitely ain't a basket of roses.

#20 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Well, now that SNSD is under Interscope, maybe BoA will switch US agencies too? :D But SNSD is signed under Universal Japan, not sure if it has any influence on their US agency.

I also read today that Tiffany wrote the rap part for the English version.. Maybe that's one part of why the English version isn't as impressive as the Korean? Not sure who translated the rest of the song though...

&& I don't think their English is bad at all! Pretty good for a debut song!

#21 sickx

sickx

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

honestly,i feel that the first and final chorus is way better than the cheerleader chorus.

to say that SM focus more on SNSD instead of BoA is wrong.i remember i read an article about SM strategy to spread the music through out the world.he said that the likes of BoA and DBSK opened the door while SuJu,SNSD,f(x) and SHINee just go through the door.in other words,the pave was opened by BoA and SNSD just walk through it.

#22 Cori

Cori

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

honestly,i feel that the first and final chorus is way better than the cheerleader chorus.

to say that SM focus more on SNSD instead of BoA is wrong.i remember i read an article about SM strategy to spread the music through out the world.he said that the likes of BoA and DBSK opened the door while SuJu,SNSD,f(x) and SHINee just go through the door.in other words,the pave was opened by BoA and SNSD just walk through it.

Sorry to tell you this but...BoA didn't really make any sort of impact in the US for SNSD to just "walk on in".

That happened in Japan, but it certainly didn't happen in the states. No road was paved, and no door was opened.

#23 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

Well, now that SNSD is under Interscope, maybe BoA will switch US agencies too? :D But SNSD is signed under Universal Japan, not sure if it has any influence on their US agency.

I also read today that Tiffany wrote the rap part for the English version.. Maybe that's one part of why the English version isn't as impressive as the Korean? Not sure who translated the rest of the song though...

&& I don't think their English is bad at all! Pretty good for a debut song!

Hmm maybe :o. If her movie makes it big, knowing SM as the money grubbing pigs they are they will probably take that as a chance to toss her back into the American market .. and under a good label too if they know whats good for them

Edited by Moon&Sunrise, 20 October 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#24 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

The billboard shows SM's EFFORTS, but it is dumb promotion. Times Square is filled with a bunch of billboards! No one is going to stand around to stare at "The Boys" unless s/he is a fan. SM still hasn't learned to use their money in the MOST EFFECTIVE MANNER in America.

SM is definitely putting in so much more for SNSD. :( It is not about "opening doors" or anything because BoA sure as hell did not open any doors in America (sorry). She was NOT and is not popular or even known (you can tell by her album sales lmao and when E! and all the other stations hardly mention BoA in COBU 3D). The situation here is way different from that of Japan where BoA and TVXQ DID lead the way for others.

What SNSD has that BoA NEEDS is that contract with Interscope. That billboard in Times Square is near useless and is just a showcase of SM's "power" in order to make themselves look impressive to Asia. SNSD is the background of Interscope's Twitter page, was mentioned and linked to by Interscope's Twitter, and was mentioned on Ryan Seacrest's Twitter as well. Interscope itself has 200k+ followers... their little promo of the "The Boys" video is such strong exposure for SNSD, something that BoA never had. If Interscope actually decides to put effort into promoting SNSD, they can get them on mainstream radios; again, BoA did not and can not get on them until she gets on a major label. With Interscope, SNSD can perform at bigger events, not just Asian shows (BoA's MTV Iggy, Kollaboration, and Asian night at a gay club appearances come to mind... -____-).

I do not know if SM can be credited to for Interscope though. I heard SNSD got it because they are signed to Universal Music Japan. :\ Also, I hear SNSD will not be performing in America, so eh... they are off to a much better start than BoA (and any other crossover hopeful) was, but it's unclear where they're headed.

#25 Cori

Cori

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Took me a while to find it, but here is that article I told you guys about...
CLICK HERE!

#26 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

Does it really matter? Utada Hikaru's album charted at #62 in Billboard 200, and Charice's single Pyramid charted #42 in Hot 100 (her album charted at #8 in Billboard 200). Big woop? BoA's album charted around #140 in Billboard 200.

I wouldn't call it a breakthrough whatsoever, anyone that charts around #100 - #200 in Billboard 200 just means they have a couple of thousand sales either physical or digital, averaging around 2,500 copies.

Edited by Mashimaro-san, 21 October 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#27 Joshorty

Joshorty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's sad BoA didn't get this kind of promotional treatment, like everyone else said already. I even got an e-mail from Interscope records, which I subscribed to long since, and the headliner/subject on the e-mail is about Girls' Generation, The Boys single.

I don't know why SM went on their own by going indie on BoA, despite the mainstream production on the album. Does this Universal hook up have to do with the fact Girls' Generation signing with Universal Music Japan for their Japanese releases, then it got slided over to the US branch?

@Cori will be reading it now. thanks.

#28 miwako

miwako

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Eh. The song was just really repetitive to me. And the chanted cheerleader chorus just leaves you hanging high and dry. I DID think the choreography was pretty decent but the song was lackluster. And I'm sorry but I thought Jessica sounded terrible -__- I listened to both versions and I don't find one more appealing than the other. The pronunciation is pretty good in the english version (the only real good thinf about it >.>) but as already stated the lyrics were a bit choppy.

Now I'll admit I'm not a SNSD fan but that doesn't mean I'm biased. This is just a lame song. And I really doubt it will rank very high on the US charts. But if for some reason they do happen to get a decent rank on the charts I don't know if it will make much of a impact. I'm sure the only people that will really be paying close attention to them will be their diehard fans.

I think that we all know that SM is really mainly banking on their groups as of late. (except CSJH lol ) And yeah it is kind of sad that BoA got put on the back burner but we still have her movie to look forward to and hopefully that goes well.....

Edited by miwako, 21 October 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#29 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

The song is starting to grow on me...it's weird, but then it gets in your head and you can't get rid of it, LOL.

The lyrics aren't *quite* as bad as the hatchet job that was done on BoA's GoT. Still, "get it in" is just...ugh.

What I don't understand is why Jessica's English isn't better. She's American-born, but how long did she live here? Maybe it's just that her diction while singing is not good. Even some of the Korean girls in SNSD are easier to understand!

I don't know how SNSD will continue to do, after the initial fan push has ended. Will they take off among ordinary, non-Kpop fans here? I think one big thing they have going against them is too many members. Not many pop fans want to have to carry a scorecard to keep track of who is who. :D

#30 Kentjr

Kentjr

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Well they probably wont get any radio adds/spins to bring them into the top50 or anything LOL. So i'm not really bothered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users