8 replies to this topic

#1 Baco__

Baco__

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Okay, I don't know if the title was appropriate, but what I wanna know is: have you ever met a korean/japanese person and told them you like/love BoA? and what they said?

I saw a similar topic on AHS and remembered something funny that happened to me and I'd really want to share this with BoA fans from BJJ and also ask you what I've already asked lol

Back in 2008/2009 (yeah, it was new years eve) I was in NYC, it was like 22h or so and me and my mom and my aunt were in a gift store, looking for those typical NYC gifts like the "I <3 NY" shirt and all and I was listening to BoA's DO THE MOTION. I don't know if this happen with you, but when I listen to BoA (and a few artists more), wherever I am: I sing the song. Sooo I was singing when this cute japanese girl (around my age now, 20 years old, but I was like 17 at the time) and asked in japanese "hey! do you speak japanese?" and I was like "oh, sorry, but I don't speak japanese!" and then she called a friend and presented us and herslef and they both started asking how did I knew how to sing in japanese so well, even not knowing a word of what I was singing, and asked me why I liked BoA (they recognized some of her songs I sang, like DTM, No. 1 and, duh, VALENTI lol) and when I said I like Utada, ayu and Namie as well they said "Namie is from our hometown, Okinawa! but her music is... for girls, mostly. It sounds awkward when you sing them" and I got really embarassed 'cause I sang, ahnn... Want Me Want Me lmao

anyways, they said BoA once was very very popular, but not that much, nowadays, but both of them liked her a lot (although one of them liked Usher more (she kept on saying that) lol). and fun fact n.º 1: they didn't know BoA was korean 'till very recently, 'cause they said her japanese was so fluent. fun fact n.º 2: at the time was when ayu broke her arm doing something (a concert, recording a MV, cant remember) and they were like "WOW, HOW DID YOU KNWO THAT? IT WAS ON THE NEWS JUST THIS WEEK!" and I said "well, we do have internet in Brazil lol"

(oh, btw, if a similar topic already exists, sorry. you can close this :C )

Edited by Baco__, 01 November 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#2 Kudaranai

Kudaranai

humany wumany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Back in college, I had a classmate who came from SK. This was quite a few years ago (omg, am I showing my age?) But we didn't talk about kpop and stuff like that. One day, I was listening to my mp3 player as usual (85% of the songs in there are BoA's). She over heard it when I took the earbuds out and left it on the table and was quite surprised. We talked about other kpop artists like Hyori & others. It was mostly about solo artists only. Back then, SNSD didn't even debut yet and girlgroups and boybands aren't as in-trend as now.

#3 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Oh! I remember another fun fact! Back in 2005/2006 (man, I only travel in new years eve? lol) I was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and I kinda like to talk :P so whenever I can I start a chat with whoever is near, I'm sooo shame of this attitude, but well, that's who I am lol

that day I was singing to BoA's My Name (actually bubbling and saying 'boolleojoollae my name" lol) and these 2 asian girls moved their heads around and stared at me, so I swam to somewhere near than and started a conversation. one of them actually didn't say a word, she didn't speak english at the time (wonder if she does, now) and the other girl name was "Jessica", they were from SK and heard me singing (wow) her favorite song (!!!) which was My Name. So she said how she really loved BoA when we had a great talk for like 5 min 'till her non-speaking friend get bored and said to jessica "I'm embarassed" :C

She said she preferred the GoT album but loved the song My Name.

okay, I guess that's the end of my experience with asian ppl outside my country lol

#4 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Interesting topic. :)

Two years ago, I went on a Chinese tour (lol............) of the mid-west, and on the tour, I met a Japanese woman. She had lived in the US for a few years. Anyway, I talked to her about Japanese music, and she said she really liked BoA (her favorite songs are "Kimochi wa Tsutawaru" and "Listen to My Heart"). Her other favorite artist was Michael Jackson! lol She was 35, but she definitely looked and acted like she was 25. =)

My community has A LOT of people who come straight from Korea and China. Usually, they only listen to SNSD, 2NE1, 4Minute, f(x), After School for girls and too many guys to name. =\ I haven't met someone from Korea who listens to BoA.

#5 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

At my school, there were only a total of three Japanese students (one now, two of them graduated), but there are a lot of Koreans. Anyway, I was in Spanish class and we were talking in Spanish, and I asked one Japanese girl who was in my class what music she liked, and she listed BoA! It made me feel kind of happy because this was only last year when she already lost of popularity >_>

Other than that, I don't really have any experiences lol. Some of my friends do listen to BoA casually, but no one's that into her, even the Koreans. I remember one person who I was friends with really liked her a few years ago, but I don't think she does any more /:

#6 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Interesting topic :)

I remember when I was in college, there was a group of Korean hanging around in the campus, then I talked to them, of course I mentioned the fact the I'm a BoA fan then they were really surprised that I know BoA, they hummed the No.1 melody and asked me if I know that song, then we sung together a short "You're still my number one ..." with our fingers pointing to the sky :lol:, I also showed them BoA's songs & pictures in my phone and the BoA key chain that I had on my backpack. For some reason I felt so proud when I talked to them about BoA :wub:

For Japanese encounter, I join a Japanese glass, then we had a Japanese teacher, he was young & cute :blush: , I asked him if he knows BoA, he said "Of course! She is very popular in Japan, even thou she is not Japanese!" - it's back in 2006. And during the course, we had an activity in which you will bring to glass a CD with a Japanese song you like and also the lyrics, so that the glass can practice listening & vocabulary. My sensei said it was one of his favorite song and also translated the lyrics for us to learn.

Ah~ sweet memories :wub:

#7 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

^which song?

#8 Kiiroi

Kiiroi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:15 AM

Interesting topic. Although I haven't met anybody who loves BoA as much as I do, I love reading your experiences :)

Well, I met a japanese teacher and I told her that I love BoA, and she told me that she's very popular and her singing is amazing. I felt so proud of BoA.

#9 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

^which song?

Oh I had it in mind but forgot typing it :P! It was 'Every Heart' :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users