2 replies to this topic

#1 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi BoAjjangers!! I am needing some help with learning Japanese. In a few years, I'd like to join the JET Program, and one of the requirements is being advanced in Japanese proficiency, so I thought I would start now. I've bought a program similar to Rosetta Stone, but I just can't learn that way. I want to take a class in college, but the college I attend and the surrounding colleges do not offer Japanese. The one college that does offers a Japanese II class, but I can't get in it as I need to complete Japanese I (which is n't offered!!). Since I relocated to Mississippi, I have NO one to help me with practising, and I cannot find anyone who can tutor or even teach me from time to time. Does anyone here have any solutions or helpful advice? It's greatly appreciated!

#2 noshadow31

noshadow31

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I personally find learning in class slower than self-teaching.
if i were u, i'd finish the Rosetta Stone series (dunno how good it is though. never used it. hope they have materials up to intermediate level)
and after that, look for bilingual books aimed for kids. read a lot of them then move on to reading manga (full of furigana, easy to look up new words)

#3 briannafifield

briannafifield

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Really? I would have thought it was the other way around. In high school and college, I've taken Spanish classes and seemed to grasp it really well, but I think it's because Spanish and English are so similar. I really need help understanding like how sentences are structured, direct and literal translations, correct pronunciations, etc. I have loved manga and anime for years, but admit I haven't seen or read any in that long too. I listen to BoA a lot in Japanese which seems to help some. I think the program I am using is called Let's Talk! EuroTalk or something along those lines. It claims to be as effective as RosettaStone but like 1/3 of the cost. I really need help because I feel like I'm not getting anywhere :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users