6 replies to this topic

#1 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

I know many old school fans probably won't agree but here's a little interesting fact. All my friends who I let try the CD said Girls On Top was the standout track to them, even preferring the song over the selected singles from the album. Did a little thinking and I can understand why people prefer this song over the other songs, 1.No autotune, 2.Empowering lyrics for woman, 3.Very Radio Friendly Single, 4.Beats are something similar you would hear in the USA but different enough to stand out.

Even random person I've talked to online that I let hear GOT in English actually got into her through that song, many people didn't like EYU or Energetic and that's understandable it was the same old stuff you would hear elsewhere. What's even more ironic is that GOT was more so the REAL BoA so to speak.

Honestly don't know if it's just me who would have liked to see GOT as a single, but honestly I think it would have done really well. I mean obviously as hardcore BoA fans we are used to hearing the Korean version so much that most of us probably got sick of the song, but for me this song sums up everything about BoA. Powerful dancing, Strong message in lyrics, being true to yourself.

Plus it would have been nice to see an updated music video for the song. ;)
For the next English (and yes there will be one lol) album they should follow the message behind this song and let the real BoA shine through

Edited by BoA_rocks_in_english, 01 August 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#2 otsugua

otsugua

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

The lyrics are horrible.

Edited by otsugua, 01 August 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#3 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

The lyrics were horrible.

I would prefer a better answer than that, the lyrics are written well and actually make sense so I don't get what you mean. If you want bad lyrics let me refer to Every Heart in English ^_~

Edited by BoA_rocks_in_english, 01 August 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#4 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

First off, don't get me wrong, I LOVE G.O.T, it's my song when it comes to BoA, I even learned the dance just because I loved it so much. Back to 2005, it was very different from the rest, it stood out. Even in present, the beats & everything is still shining.
However, I gotta disagree with the idea of this song becoming the single. Because :
1- Using an old song from 7-8 years ago, renew the lyrics in different language --> new single. That idea is kinda lame for a singer, if you ask me =/ . Music is different from fashion, it shouldn't repeat itself. BoA nowadays is different with BoA 7 years ago, why should her music stay the same?
2- The message in the lyrics of the song is confusing. So is it for girls being on the top or being themselves? I get the being themselves part, I also get the being on the top part just because I'm Asian. In Western culture, the 'being on top' part would be really...weird, cuz Western culture the idea of females are not equal to males extincted a long long time ago. It's already default in their minds that girls & guys are equal, so a song talking about that topic is kinda awkward & unrealistic. Does it make sense?
3- G.O.T is probably the real BoA, but again, it was 7 years ago. How do you know if it's still the real of her? Or is it something that you want it to be "the real BoA"
As you have seen in 'Only One', composed by BoA herself, I think that message was the real her right now, in this era pf her life & career.

Anyway, I do hope she will release some more English songs. However, I don't want remake of old songs. I want something fresh :)

#5 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

I think the lyrics is not so bad for GOT, and American audience don't really care about the lyrics...
Melody wise, rhythm wise I think it is a strong song to be released in US.

#6 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

I think her entire English album should have been English versions of some of her past singles because this album was rubbish.

#7 MadeInTwenty

MadeInTwenty

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

"Girls On Top" is one of my least favorite tracks from the English album. When I listen to the Korean version...I don't know...I feel the power of that song; it's fantastic in Korean. In English, not so much. The lyrics, while giving a nice message, just come off as cheesy and generic to me. I would've chosen something like "Obsessed" or "Touched" in place of "Energetic", since those songs seem like they fit more with mainstream pop, versus "Energetic"'s more techno-dance-y niche that a few tracks on the album also go with (ie. "Hypnotic Dancefloor")

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users