13 replies to this topic

#1 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Warning: The hook, and the words "Mother-father-gentleman" will be embedded in your head for days! :D

I looooooooove it!

#2 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

I can see this song is popular in night clubs and places like that, but not in my iPod :lol: , I'm just not a big fan of disco/techno like this ...

#3 JustinPerky

JustinPerky

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

This is terrible. Oh well, i'm excited for the MV since Ga In is in it :)

#4 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

I can see this song is popular in night clubs and places like that, but not in my iPod :lol: , I'm just not a big fan of disco/techno like this ...

Pretty much this lol..

#5 hinachan

hinachan

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

To those who don't like this song, I'm afraid you're in the minority. Within 24 hours of its release (and before any publicity has even started), "Gentleman" is already #1 in Vietnam, the most-downloaded song in South Korea, and #30 on the UK iTunes chart. His live concert in Seoul today is going to be repeated for 24 hours on YouTube, because so many people are going to be watching.

BoA needs to start doing some good music like this to rekindle her career. Except for occasional songs like "The Shadow", her music has gotten so bland at this point, that international articles about K-pop nowadays mention SNSD, 2NE1, everybody except her. It saddens me, how she had so much potential to be the one to bring K-pop to America...but Lee Soo Man's bungling caused her wonderful English album to go nowhere.

If I can't see my favorite female K-pop artist make it big worldwide, I'm glad my favorite male K-pop star is enjoying success. :D

#6 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

To those who don't like this song, I'm afraid you're in the minority.

BoA needs to start doing some good music like this to rekindle her career. Except for occasional songs like "The Shadow", her music has gotten so bland at this point, that international articles about K-pop nowadays mention SNSD, 2NE1, everybody except her. It saddens me, how she had so much potential to be the one to bring K-pop to America...but Lee Soo Man's bungling caused her wonderful English album to go nowhere.

1- I am not afraid to be in the minority. Are you?
I like something because I like it, or I don't like something also because I don't like it, not ever because it's popular. I could care less.

2- BoA does need to have some refreshing music, I suppose that's what you meant. Not necessary the disco mainstream like nowadays. Or it could be in the mainstream but some how it gotta reflect her true color also.
She just needs something really different and standing out.
I think it's about time fans realize & accept that BoA is not on the peak of her career anymore.

#7 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

The music video was released recently!

I thought it was really funny and the song is really growing on me haha. I think it'll be another hit!

#8 hinachan

hinachan

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

The music video was released recently!

I thought it was really funny and the song is really growing on me haha. I think it'll be another hit!

Thanks -- I was just going to update the link in my original post, when I saw yours. :)And yes, I agree that it is going to be a hit...in only 17 hours, the video has 10.7 MILLION hits and counting! I love how he paid tribute to Brown Eyed Girls with that dance. And once that song gets into your head, there's no getting rid of it, LOL.I wanted to see the repeat of his concert streaming live on YouTube, but I can't. My ISP is having major bandwidth problems lately, so my speed during the evening hours is almost as slow as dial-up right now. I'm hoping other YouTube users will upload more of the individual live songs soon. :)

Edited by hinachan, 13 April 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#9 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

If BoA releases ANYTHING like this, I will disown her.

Okay I won't, I just won't listen to it. But seriously, I can't believe people are actually eating this up. It's essentially Gangnam Style Part. 2 rehashed with recycled choreography. In comparison, Psy's previous song "Right Now" is infinitely better however it didn't get any recognition because Psy's popularity didn't sky rocket until Gangnam Style. People will hype anything that's popular, including this.

As for BoA's music direction, I do wish she would do songs like she did for her English Album, but I did enjoy Only One and the other songs in the album. Hurricane Venus was the result of BoA trying to conform to what was considered the "mainstream sound" at the time and I absolutely hated it, it's her worst song to date out of her Korean discography imo. I immensely preferred Copy & Paste.

Who cares if her new sound is "bland", it's the kind of music she wants to do and that's all that matters. Only One was the result of BoA's hard work and she's getting to write and compose more, it's a nice change and she'll improve with time. She's still only 26 y/o.

#10 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

^ Totally agree with you. BoA has a totally different style, and her music is at a different level.

#11 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Alright, before this topic goes far beyond what it was intended for, I need US to stop bringing BoA up in here. I, myself, should NOT have commented on the first mention of BoA. My apologies.
I am disappointed that we even brought BoA up in here while it has nothing to do with her, whatsoever. But I guess since this is a forum for BoA so anything must involved her one way or the other ?

Anyway, I request this topic remain related to the topic - which is PSY's song 'Gentleman' and the thoughts on it, NOTHING ELSE. If the topic goes off its intended content, I will have to close it.

#12 Peterborough

Peterborough

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

hi, i see all songs of psy including "Mother-father-gentleman"...but this songs for only night clubs bcoz this is like
techno songs..

#13 hinachan

hinachan

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

@yunapolaris:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my comment. Acknowledging that the majority of people recognize the excellence of something doesn't mean one is "afraid" of not being in that majority. The entire music business is based on the premise of "majority rules", not about whether you or I like something. For instance, I don't like Taylor Swift's music, but it would be pretty remiss on my part, not to acknowledge that she's a respected artist who is obviously doing something right to be so successful. I'm not going to fall into that trap, because truth is more important than opinions. :)

hi, i see all songs of psy including "Mother-father-gentleman"...but this songs for only night clubs bcoz this is like
techno songs..

Um...not even close, LOL. :)

"Gentleman" is currently #1 on YouTube, hit #1 on iTunes, accomplished an all-kill in South Korea (= #1 on all SK charts). It entered the Billboard Hot 100 (that's the all-important pop chart, not dance chart) at #12 and is #5 this week. And PSY just started promotion yesterday, so there's every likelihood that he will become the first K-pop artist ever to hit #1 in the USA.In short, it's a certified huge pop hit, spanning all audiences, not just the club scene. :)

To address other misconceptions people have about PSY....

One thing I really like about PSY is that he always has been fully in control of his career and his music. He released his early songs on his own label, has been writing his own material for 12 years, and even has huge input into his own videos. He manages great fusions of styles, such as "We Are The One" (rap/rock/traditional Korean music), can croon a ballad or scream a rock song. It's a refreshing change, compared to these groups who are basically puppets of their labels, who all look alike because of plastic surgery (which PSY refused to have done).

There's a reason PSY has made it worldwide, while groups like SNSD haven't--PSY is actually an artist, and has been from the beginning. It's especially impressive that he made it without succumbing to the pressure to get plastic surgery, or allow record execs to determine the course of his career. (He only signed with YG after he had long since become an established artist.)

Liking him is a matter of personal preference. But it's absolutely wrong to regard him as anything less than a true artist with an amazing ability to blend musical styles, put on incredible concerts, and stay completely true to himself in a music industry that prefers puppets.

As ultimate proof of PSY's legitimacy as an artist, Brian May of the legendary rock group Queen has asked him to be a guest artist on a future recording. Don't hold your breath waiting for Brian May (or any legendary international pop/rock figure) to ask the same of SNSD's Taeyeon. ;)

Edited by hinachan, 26 April 2013 - 03:24 AM.

#14 Moon&Sunrise

Moon&Sunrise

Love&Honesty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

There's a reason PSY has made it worldwide, while groups like SNSD haven't--PSY is actually an artist, and has been from the beginning. It's especially impressive that he made it without succumbing to the pressure to get plastic surgery, or allow record execs to determine the course of his career. (He only signed with YG after he had long since become an established artist.)

OK I am Going to be the bad guy for a second.

For one, the reason that gnagnam style was so popular was becasue it was catchy. hook and dance. Have you even bothered to watch any shows in america featuring PSY? It's all about the dance.He even had to ask to introduce himself numerous times for christs sake. Ask around and see how many people know what the song is actually about.Seriously.
The only reason this is even popular is because is becasue he is still riding the wave of fame that is Gnagnam style .You cannot seriously listen to these lyrics and tell me this is a good song. Catchy.Yea , popular in clubs as dance music, sure. This is by no means a "Quality song" Being a good song goes far beyond just having a catchy beat and dance. Catchy doesn't equal good.

Also there is a reason that hardly anyone had heard of PSY prior to gnagnam style. Just saying. I will awknoledge him as an artist in the respect that he is literally an artist in the music industry, and it's great that he has stayed true to his goofyness which is why i even like him to begin with. I do not how ever. agree that he is an artist in the sense that his music is good. I'm aware that blah blah blah most views on youtube, but at the end of the day once this silly hype wears down people are going to grow tired of him and toss him aside. There is a reason other groups have been topping the charts for years with nearly every release and at the end of the day they will continue to top the charts

You know why that is? Becasue they consistently put out quality music. This PSY hype is jsut that. It's hype. You know why SNSD or BoA hasn't made it in america? It's becasue (and i say this as an american) Americans are, for the most part, selfish pigs. It honestly makes me sick sometimes. America or rather the united states (North america belongs to the indians) is founded by foreigners for christs sake.America is literally a giant melting pot of cultures and ideas and yet, ironically, we are so stuck in our own ways. SNSD and BoA werent popular because americans don't care about the popular "Asian" group. A a matter of fact being asian is a big of a turn off as anything for americans. It's liike some sort or silly stigma attached to the race or something. Name one hit Asian( born in america) in the american industry. God knows charice was as close as it gets and if she couldn't make if nobody will. Psy is popular in america becasue he is a goofball America does not care about talent.If akon and snoopdog couldn't make wondergirls or BoA popular do you honestly think that the old dried up rock group is going to make psy popular? Please.

Oh and here is food for thought. Why is it it that music in languages all over the word mix in english (and to a lesser extend) other languages. Yet America, this so-called melting pot of cultures, the country that is SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT DIVERSITY uses nothing but their own deformed non sensical language (which is a butchered version of british english anyway).

Ill be blunt, as if i havent been already. If you think suddenly some funny korean guy is going to pave the way for foreigners to break into ameica or even make it big himself, youre wrong. He is funny and his music is catchy but that is all he has going for him. He isnt attractive (lol GL making it in america if youre an ugly asian guy) His lyrics are trash and while his dancing is funny his dancing ability itself is certainly nothing special. and THAT is the truth.

The song isn't even as catchy as gnagnam style and the dance is recycled. the funny thing is This video has been out a fraction of the time and already has nearly half the dislikes of Gnagnam style. And you know what people are saying about him the few times ive heard about him on the radio"THE GUY THAT DID GNAGNAM STYLE, PSY....." ​If you watch reaction wideos people are dissapointed "this dance isn't as fun", "I like gnagnam style better" "oh this is the guy that did gnagnam style... What's his name?"

I'll leave this here lol
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwnHTTPmMk&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwnHTTPmMk&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/url]

Also please note that these kids 13-17 who do nothing but talk about how this isnt as good as gnagnam style and how is career is all downhill from here IS THE EXACT DEMOGRAPHIC THAT GNAGNAM STYLE WAS MOST POPULAR WITH LOL . It is even said in the video "people will watch it because it's psy, but it won't be nearly as popular"

Honestly this thread is a giant slap in the face to any competent, accomplished, hard- working person in the industry that tries to put out good, meaningful music especially BoA to call PSY the be-all-end-all of the music industry and the defenition of a legitimate artist is absurd.

Edited by Moon&Sunrise, 29 April 2013 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users