26 replies to this topic

#1 Starbolt

Starbolt

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Yesterday, July 13 2013 at 21:00, I was at the Pathé cinema in Scheveningen (The Hague, The Netherlands) to watch the Make Your Move 3D sneak premiere. The movie was not promoted well, there was space for more than 200 viewers, but I think there were around 30 viewers. Hopefully this will change for the release on the 25th of July.

Make Your Move 3D is a Romeo and Juliet themed movie with some Taiko drumming and tap dancing featuring BoA Kwon (Aya) and Derek Hough (Donny).

I had high expectations for the movie and after watching it, I was left with mixed feelings.

I liked the Romeo and Juliet theme and I think BoA and Derek have depicted it very well. You'll get touched by how they grow to each other, interact and sensually dance together.

So the story was great, but then the (tap)dancing and music. I think the trailer compilation was much more exploding for the eyes and ears then how it is done in the movie. It's hard for me how to describe this without spoiling. But I'll try…

I liked the COBU Taiko drumming and dance sequences but I think it lacked power. Then there's the tap dancing. Now I'm not a fan of tap dancing, but I think Derek did this very well. The only thing is there was no music playing during these tap dances and that made feel those sequences as a bit empty.

If you look at the trailer with Derek and BoA dancing on the bar, it's great, but in the movie, those scenes were music-less.

The end dance however, is a whole different story. :blush: That was what I was waiting for and expecting, even though I think they still could’ve put more power into it.

So there where some sequences without music, but the music that did play during the movie was cool, I'm waiting for the OST to pleasure my ears. Let Me In is a really great song, with BoA and Derek, making it complete! The song is played afterwards as a short rearranged instrumental during some scenes. ^_^

The audio system of the cinema was behaving strange. It was like watching a stereo movie (as if the boxes in front where only used) instead of surround sound.

Acting… I think BoA did great on acting even though there were some moments where she will get you out of the movie. Her English has improved, but it sometimes lacks the right emotion. Donny even mentioned her English as funny, which somehow made it acceptable (as of her way of speaking was just scripted that way). :lol:

I think Derek acted pretty well. I don't know him, but I got the impression that he may have some acting background (besides dancing). They both danced great especially in the end. But again, it somewhere lacked power.

I haven't watched much dance movies, but a friend of mine, who does, did watch Make Your Move 3D with me. She doesn't know who BoA and Derek are, but she mentioned their great dancing skills. She thought the movie was a bit flat. It won't match up to Step Up, but maybe on the same level as Save The Last Dance. Duane Adler mentioned earlier that it won't be a blockbuster movie. I'm afraid he's right. It's up to the fans! =/

Oh, I almost forgot about U-Know!
He had just a little screen time, but his dancing was great (as always)… But again, it lacked power too. It's like the movie is holding them all back. I know how U-Know and BoA can dance and kill stages, but that was not happening in the movie.

I don’t know… Maybe those scenes where filmed in the wrong angles or the dance/storyline scenes switched at the wrong moments, missing out the killer parts...

So… Like I said in the beginning. I was left with a mixed feeling and I think my review is doing the same. :ph34r:

I think I would watch the movie dance sequences over-and-over again, when it’s released on Blu-ray. I would then put my headset on and enjoy it even more! ;)

If you're a BoA or Derek fan, then it's a must-watch! You'll see your favorite artist in a whole different way. For me, as a BoA fan, it was an almost 2 hour of BoA epicness! Her cuteness is all over the place. ^_^

Edited by Starbolt, 14 July 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#2 usako

usako

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hmm maybe bcuz we expect hip hop and freestyle dance/dance battle like Step Up? But in this movie mixed with alot dance? Like u said this movie more like save the last dance.
And maybe like Step Up VS Save The Last Dance = America Best Dance Crew VS Dancing With The Stars
Btw thx u so much for review

Edited by usako, 14 July 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#3 celbel

celbel

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hmm. Thanks so much for this review! Yeh, I had a feeling it was a bit more like save the last dance as well. Which I actually like. Really looking forward to seeing he dances between Derek and BoA. They seem to have great chemistry together!

#4 TaRo33

TaRo33

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us! I can't wait to see it myself!!

#5 wobwab

wobwab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the review. I think you put it very well. I can imagine your mixed feelings somewhat.
Going to watch the movie on August 29th if all goes as plan. I'm looking forward to coming back to this thread to share my thought later. ^^

Not a fan of tap dance myself....

#6 usako

usako

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

btw abt the her acting and emotion..maybe bcuz she speak english so its hard to her to express her emotion?? not like in "Athena" i think she did well in that drama?

#7 celbel

celbel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

btw abt the her acting and emotion..maybe bcuz she speak english so its hard to her to express her emotion?? not like in "Athena" i think she did well in that drama?

Yeh, I agree. She was a lot less fluent in English back then. So just imagine all that pressure. She doesn't just have to worry about acting/dancing, but proper pronunciation, grammar etc etc. So proud of her.

#8 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Was this the last dance scene you were referring to? I wasn't expecting much from the plot line so I was counting on the dance numbers to be the movies saving grace. :|

#9 ~+-+Vanora+-+~

~+-+Vanora+-+~

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thank you for your honest review! I didn't have much expectations on the plot to begin with. :) Can't wait to see the movie!

#10 jiro_ejlr

jiro_ejlr

BoAファン永遠

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the review.. As for me, I have no doubts that this movie will be a blockbuster hit.. but probably, it will be a well known movie film.. and when I watch the trailer, i'm having a mixed emotions too even though it was so awesome.. but oh well.. anyways.. this is just her first movie film.. we shouldn't expect too much.. this is just only a part of her career beginning in the states.. can't wait to watch it soon.. and I will keep looking forward for the blu-ray release of this film.. ^_^

#11 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Is it true BoA has her own version of Let Me In during the film? How does it sound?

#12 Elmari

Elmari

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Starbolt, thank you so much for your review! I am still excited to see this movie. With respect to Starbolt's review/opinion, "everybody likes their tea different".... LOL... This is just one opinion, so who knows.. you might think differently than Starbolt when you go see the film. Someone who went to the preview tweeted that they really enjoyed the tap dancing of the movie & praised the reinventing of an old style.

We posted *mij* and Starbolt's (with permission) reviews on the Make Your Move Fans blog site and when you read it, you can already see there was a difference of opinion with the dance scenes. There is also a link to a review of a test screening back in 2012 (when it was still known as Cobu) and that person really enjoyed the dance scenes.

Following everything closely since the making of this film was announced, I just wanted to remind people that the director (Duane Adler) has always said that this movie is NOT going to be like Step Up. He wrote the first Step Up, Save the Last Dance, and Make Your Move. He wanted it to be more like Save the Last Dance, which focused more on the love story than the dance battles. With the movie's stars focusing more on tap dancing, we already knew it wasn't going to have huge hip-hop dance battles.. LOL! But that's why ppl go see the Step Up movies.

We also must remember that this is an independent film... that's why it has taken so long to be released and why it's most likely not going to have a huge promotion budget. It WILL be up to us fans to help this movie be successful. =)

Here's the link to the reviews: http://makeyourmovef..._medium=twitter

Everyone has always been so kind and supportive here at the boajjang forum! Thanks for letting me post here!

Edited by Elmari, 15 July 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#13 Starbolt

Starbolt

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm going again next week :blush:

#14 Roly Poly

Roly Poly

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I believe your review. So glad to hear that BoA and Derek have a nice, growing relationship, as these dance movies tend to have cheesy romances. As for the powerless dancing, I noticed that in the trailers and sneek previews. I wonder why they did not go all out? Maybe it was the director's fault. And quiet dance scenes? That does sound a bit odd. After reading your review, though, I actually feel more confident about this movie and will go watch it in theaters. I wasn't gonna go because I felt that I would be cringing the whole way, but now it sounds pretty good, especially with BoA in it! The most thing that I am looking forward to seeing is BoA and finally acting full out, and for an American movie no less! I want to see that part where she's in the cafe talking about Derek the whole time and denies it to her friend when she calls BoA out on it. And you bet your ass I will be buying this on DVD!!!! :D

Edit: ^AH HA HA!!!! You're going again next week? Very cool!!!! Ha, ha...I find that funny because I was gonna do the same with World War Z since I liked the movie so much.

Edited by Roly Poly, 15 July 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#15 *mij*

*mij*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Is it true BoA has her own version of Let Me In during the film? How does it sound?

yes it's true. because I heard the song when I was still sitting in the chair during the end of the movie while discussing the movie with a friend. :P

I'm going again next week :blush:

Not for me, sorry. The dancing was great, the acting wasn't. I liked it, but my friend next to me not that much. She only liked the dancing parts, like me.

Edited by *mij*, 15 July 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BoA, Derek Hough, COBU, Make Your Move, 3D, Sneak, Premiere, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users