96 replies to this topic

#61 Kowan

Kowan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think they should have decided on a more hip-hop-ish song; more lessang and more the rnb BoA and less electronic pop. They could have asked for Gary to join in as well and they probably would have a better and stronger song than GAB. The best song out of all the IC songs is the one with Primary and Park Myung soo, which is not surprising as Primary makes some of the best songs in his genre.

#62 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Not sure about the other songs, but I agree with the comment about her voice and dance. Her dancing is usually EXCELLENT, but she didn't bring it this time. Her voice has clearly deteriorated in recent years, despite improvement in singing TECHNIQUE (there is a difference). Ever since 2008, her voice has been getting worse, although her singing skills have improved. This performance just shows the downward path she's currently on, in terms of vocal quality.

#63 Kudaranai

Kudaranai

humany wumany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

I really liked it. It felt like a concert. It could've been awkward, but it didn't turn out that way. The song is okay, it's fun but not omg-best-song-ever.

#64 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Honestly I'm a little disappointed because I was expecting more hip-hop from Gil (such a big fan of Leessang!) and I just feel like the song kind of sounds like filler track on some SM album.

Performance wise, I think her vocal strain was seriously showing... Even on the first note, you could tell she had like no resonance, and her voice was just hoarse.

The song isn't doing well relative to other Infinity Challenge songs, but it's still charting and all IC songs have swept the top 8 on all music charts, so i guess that's still pretty good, and based on comments I've been seeing, people still seemed to like BoA's song so I'm glad.

Edited by Kwcty6888, 02 November 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#65 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

I also expect something like this one

Anyway, it just a try for BoA in song composing. Such a great job for her

#66 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

Having watched the past specials and knowing what to expect, I knew there wasn't going to be any serious dancing. It was a simple and fun dance, as it should be. The entire performance suited the Infinity Challenge aura. The only issue I had with the song, which I mentioned, was the constant tempo change, it was "I Got a Boy" messy with the whole trying to fit four different songs into one. BoA sounds great imo, I prefer this "coarse" sound to her nasally one any day.

I was also expecting Gil to have more of a presences in the composition but he's really played to the tune of his partners during these specials and conforms to different genres. He did rock w/ Yoon Do Hyun's band and a ballad with Bada, it was obvious he was going the pop route with BoA since it's the type of music she does... its just that SM was behind the composition and had to add dub-step like they have been doing to all of their recent songs... overkill. (I hope to GOD her next Korean album is free from the clutches of dubstep).

That said, the song served it's purpose, it's not to be taken seriously.

#67 JustinPerky

JustinPerky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

She always has the coarse voice whenever she shouts and tries to hype up the crowd. Not like this is the first time, why is everyone making such a big deal out of it. Her singing voice seems okay to me, at least she doesn't sound nasally like usual. The song is fun and I like the little rap part haha

On another note, Primary's song is awesome.

#68 orchidjadedx

orchidjadedx

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

this song was just ok, i expected a little better one but oh well still love boa...

#69 anime811

anime811

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I personally really liked it actually. Most fun I have seen BoA having on the stage and the most stage presence I've felt from her in a long while.

I thought her singing was fine and just because her voice is hoarse when she yells doesn't mean her voice is deteriorating...

Anyway, the song was really cheery and poppy and it even made me smile :) and I don't even really like "cheery, poppy" songs.

#70 Kowan

Kowan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

She always has the coarse voice whenever she shouts and tries to hype up the crowd. Not like this is the first time, why is everyone making such a big deal out of it. Her singing voice seems okay to me, at least she doesn't sound nasally like usual. The song is fun and I like the little rap part haha

On another note, Primary's song is awesome.

It wasn't this coarse before. I've watched her concerts and she doesn't sound as if someone's clawing out her throat and it's not just when she shouts, it's now even evident on her singing specially when she scream-sings, before her voice was smooth and didn't sound rough. I hope SM does something before it gets even worse. Her voice condition isn't something a singer should just ignore.

#71 Roly Poly

Roly Poly

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

But isn't BoA known for her unique soothing yet husky voice? I remember reading someone say that, specifically connecting it to her Girls On Top era. Girls On Top was her most powerful vocally, wasn't it? Where her huskiness was the most evident? I know people have been concerned about her voice, though, so when I heard her voice during the performance, I was worried. Maybe it's because she's getting older? But yeah, she should get her voice checked. Could it be strained, if something is, in fact, wrong?

#72 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Okay, are we over reacting a little bit, y'all think !? In 'Here I Am', she sounds amazing. And in the SmTOWN Tokyo, she sounds just fine too.
Just one performance where her voice is not the best and we're all like it's the end of the world. For God's sake, can the girl have a day that she got a sore throat or something? J**s Ch***t, some people in here always are just looking for the flaws and can not simply enjoy anything else.

#73 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Alright, for anyone still wondering, just compare a 2007 performance of Winter Love and a 2009 performance of Winter Love. Even though both are good, you can hear that she can no longer belt at the same breadth as before. In addition, her 2009 vocal quality, though worse than her 2007 one, is much, much better than how she sounds now.

This has been going on for years, and it's not just this performance. Of course, you can still act like nothing's happening. It's common for overuse to wear down on one's voice -- look at Mariah Carey, who, in her prime, was known as one of the best singers of all time.

----

As for Girls On Top, you can hear a HUGE ASS difference between Girls On Top vocal quality and now. Yes, she was great during GOT. Her voice was strong in a strong way, not how she sounds now.

Edited by MOTOWAYohsixfive, 04 November 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#74 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

^To note, BoA was still under going vocal training during her "Girls On Top" era. I don't think she has been (for a few years now) under a vocal coach. She sounded pretty good for this Infinity Challenge perf. But I've mentioned that she's an inconsistent singer, where she'll sound great/good in one performance and mediocre in another. I agree that her vocals are strained, the fact that the veins on her neck are nearly bursting when she attempts high notes may indicate vocal straining. I've noticed vocal strain during her "Identity"/"Here I Am" tour (to the point that it was ear grating).

Honestly, BoA's a damn great overall performer but her singing skills alone (at least now) are mediocre at best, she still doesn't have full control over her singing voice despite her 13 years experience as a singer. She's in need of a vocal coach. Real talk guys.

#75 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

We're criticizing her singing on her birthday, wow, big fandom in here. I'm so proud.

IMO, BoA voice is simply huskier and deeper than most Korean &Japanese, especially girls. I don't think she needs a vocal coach or whatsoever, when she sings songs which are higher than her range, she will sound nasal and strained, it's inevitable.
When she sings those ballads with mostly low notes, they are the most touching ballads you will ever listen too.
Everyone has their own strength, high notes like Mariah Carey is just not her forte. And that makes her mediocre ?
Then I guess Eminem, for example, is mediocre too cuz he can sing no high notes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users