96 replies to this topic

#76 *mij*

*mij*

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

Well it's her bday, and I like the song.
She's cheerful, she dances and she's Wow' ing the people who are watching everything on the televisions behind the stage, look at their reactions!
Loved their expressions. No one expected this.
It's something else and I liked it.

For her voice, maybe she rehearsed so hard that it sounds this way, but I still think she rocked the stage! Look at the crowd, they are were laughing a clapping, and that's what it's all about right? That the people who came there had an awesome time with awesome songs :)

#77 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

On the other hands, that day should be very cold as you can see her wearing sweater all the time at the backstage. And during the beginning of the song, Gil did bring her a fluffy jacket. But she ended up not wearing it maybe she think it was very messy to wear it while dancing.

She is the only female there so she need to wear a bit sexier to show some feminine side of her. She was wearing short skirt and stocking!!

Edited by wwteng, 05 November 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#78 Kwcty6888

Kwcty6888

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

We're criticizing her singing on her birthday, wow, big fandom in here. I'm so proud.

IMO, BoA voice is simply huskier and deeper than most Korean &Japanese, especially girls. I don't think she needs a vocal coach or whatsoever, when she sings songs which are higher than her range, she will sound nasal and strained, it's inevitable.
When she sings those ballads with mostly low notes, they are the most touching ballads you will ever listen too.
Everyone has their own strength, high notes like Mariah Carey is just not her forte. And that makes her mediocre ?
Then I guess Eminem, for example, is mediocre too cuz he can sing no high notes.

It's not criticism out of negativity, but rather genuine concern. I would rather she take maybe half a year to a year hiatus and have a good rest than for her to keep straining herself.

The song's growing on me though, I actually like the bridges, but I just feel like the chorus is a little lacking is all.

#79 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Everyone has their own strength, high notes like Mariah Carey is just not her forte. And that makes her mediocre ?
Then I guess Eminem, for example, is mediocre too cuz he can sing no high notes.

Eminem isn't a singer though, he's a rapper. Yes, he sings a few verses, but his main forte is rapping.

Being a good singer isn't about range, you don't need to hit high notes to be a good singer, rather it's about technique and being in control of it. JYP has mentioned on K-pop Star that the ideal perfect technique is "half-air half-sound", BoA perfectly demonstrated the difference between a singing voice with "no air", a closed throat which produces tension/strain, and a singing voice with a perfect combination of the two, singing with an open throat, on the show Win Win. Check out, 2:44
http://www.dailymoti...rt-2-4_creation

But does BoA actually sing with the "half-air half-sound" technique? No she doesn't, she sounds more like the former, which is nasally and strained. Nasally isn't always bad, but she's lacking a solid technique.

Singing incorrectly can hurt her in the long run, therefore a vocal coach is needed. She can damage her vocal chords and won't be able to sing at all. And as I've mentioned, those neck veins when she's singing aren't exactly normal, and as a fan I'm concerned. Hell, even Christina Aguilera still uses a vocal coach, why not BoA?

Edited by superlita, 05 November 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#80 Roly Poly

Roly Poly

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Eminem isn't a singer though, he's a rapper. Yes, he sings a few verses, but his main forte is rapping.

My thoughts exactly. How are you even considering him as a singer, especially next to BoA and Mariah Carey? Eminem IS a mediocre singer, if even that. He actually doesn't sound so bad when he uses his singing voice; I know his fans and people who just listen to and/or like his music would agree with that.

Mariah Carey is considered the standard because of her high range because that high range reaches the majority of people's "wow factor" or idea of who someone top notch is. For JYP, someone just has to have a "half air, half sound" voice, but yeah - the majority favors someone who can reach high notes like Mariah Carey because that is an amazing feat; it's the usual [high] standard. That's why people consider BoA's voice to be "mediocre". It doesn't mean that her voice is not up to par, but more of the capabilities of or limits to her voice that is being judged in comparison to this majority standard. One of my friends who I showed BoA to for the first time told me she's like Britney Spears; made it successfully mostly because of her looks and personality, but that her voice is mediocre and I wouldn't disagree too far from that, but I DO know that BoA has good technique and sound to her voice. If not, her fame wouldn't have been possible, just like Britney also.

#81 yunapolaris

yunapolaris

I'm here because

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hell, even Christina Aguilera still uses a vocal coach, why not BoA?

Do you know for sure that she doesn't have a vocal coach?

Anyway, TLDR.
Carry on without me guys :)

#82 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

She is having medicore voice quality. But her singing technique is good (could not say perfect as no one in the world is perfect).
Her live singing is fabulous because she has the best breath control especially during dance songs.
Although her voice may be sound strained sometime but she never sing off key or off beat during her performance.

That my opinion....but I not a vocal or singing expert though

#83 kitzutsuita

kitzutsuita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

I actually don't mind the coarse voice. If her performance doesn't sound "right" to you, it could be her having throat issues, the weather, her schedules, and many other factors.

But sheesh, its like the same every single topic. Always some sort of criticism/comparisons/etc... Aren't we being a little too critical? Sometimes just enjoy, or don't enjoy :) Maybe its just you all have so much passion in BoA's work that got you worked up :)

#84 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

I can't find any posts on this topic from anyone about this but am I the only one who thinks that he overreacted just a little bit...
http://www.allkpop.c...s#axzz2k3Vrtmlo

#85 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

It's true that BoA took over the performance, but since I am BoA-biased so I would not complain about that haha. So people may dislike the performance because BoA shone more than Gil...
I would want BoA to try hip hop to match with Gil's genre as well. Didn't she mention before that she likes Hip-Hop music too? Why didnt she and Gil compose a hip-hop song. However, I must also clarify that I like the song G.A.B as well. Again no complaint about that, but I can understand other people's opinions with regards to this :)

#86 a_chan

a_chan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

Singing incorrectly can hurt her in the long run, therefore a vocal coach is needed. She can damage her vocal chords and won't be able to sing at all. And as I've mentioned, those neck veins when she's singing aren't exactly normal, and as a fan I'm concerned. Hell, even Christina Aguilera still uses a vocal coach, why not BoA?

Christina Aguilera's vocal technique is awful, absolutely dreadful. If you think she's a good vocalist then frankly, you shouldn't be judging anyone's vocal abilities. Christina STRAINS to hell and back, constantly goes off key and only has about one octave in her large range where she can do anything decent. She was given a beautiful voice with a wide range but her lack of technique has wasted any potential she may have once had.

BoA's technique is FAR superior to Christina's. There are also a lot of people out there who are far superior to BoA, like Beyonce or if you want to take it to k-pop then Ock Joo Hyun. BoA's neck veins pop out like that because she is skinny and that exaggerates the effect. Her technique is fine. She is not doing anything damaging to her voice when she sings. When singing her voice is bright and clear. She only gets hoarse when shouting out to the crowd.

And also JYP's half sound-half air "technique" is just nonsense. Who in JYP has ever been considered a great vocalist? No one. Sunye is the best vocalist to come out of JYP and she doesn't even rank within the top 5 of current idol girl group members.

#87 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOKI_tIBWVI
What you stated is exactly why Christina is using a vocal coach, I don't know if she was using one prior but she had her tour this past year and is planning to release a new album. Christina does strain and tends to have her bad moments when she goes and throws in a bunch of over the top adlibs, but the girl can sing. Vocal tone, Christina>BoA. Imo of course.

All of 2AM, Lim Jeong Hee, Kim Tae Woo are considered great vocalists reining from JYP, and IVY
is definitely one of the best female soloists (alongside BoA) who can actually dance and sing at the same time.

And why does the fact that Sun Ye doesn't rank within the top 5 current girl group members matter? Idol groups aren't known for their vocal ability.I'll give it Tae Yeon from SNSD and Hyorin from Sistar, but the rest of the girls within those idol groups are mediocre and plain bad.

My main issue with BoA is that she doesn't sing with an open throat so her notes tend to fall flat or go off key (I mean... I can make a compilation of it if you really want me to LOL) I've stated this thousands of times but BoA's vocal tone was significantly better when she was younger.I absolutely loved her voice then.
------

Anyways... worst news, BoA's getting a lot of flack for the G.A.B song:

Article: Kim Heechul "'Infinity Challenge' songs aren't up to par this year, Gil and Boa could've done better"

Source: TV daily via Nate

1. [+2,545, -77] They certainly weren't up to par but Gil shouldn't take the blame for it. The song, which Boa was in charge of, is pretty bad with cheesy lyrics and the stage itself was bad because they focused more on balancing the hat on their elbow instead of actually singing

2. [+2,462, -127] Who are you to ever criticize Gil on singing... Don't you dare to even say the 's' in 'song'..

3. [+1,930, -96] Worry about yourself;

4. [+182, -15] Boa wrote the song like that, what do you want them to do about it~

5. [+179, -16] Kim Heechul, "It sounded obvious that they didn't sing a lot" Does he really think he has any right to say this? How much does he himself actually sing? ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ His only part in his songs are giving a smile ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹

6. [+152, -19] Should blame Boa for the weird song and the weird stage!!! It's all because of Boa

7. [+147, -11] I feel like the stage took no consideration for Gil... She wanted him to be like an idol;;; It didn't match him at all. The song and dance was all Boa in style ã…‹ã…‹ I'm so sick of that SM style... It wouldn't have failed so hard if Gil was allowed to compose it...

8. [+133, -11] The song was 2000 in style with lyrics that I would never sing even if I was paid to. Boa is really a bubble... her composing skills, what a joke.

He said, "2007, 2009, 2011, 2013...I thought this year's was the worst," and went into what he thought was the problem, "First of all, in relation to BoA and Gil's performance, Gil is really charismatic when he does hip hop performances, but whether he still feels awkward on 'Infinity Challenge,' he just kept smiling awkwardly and maybe they put on the song a lot, but it was obvious he wasn't singing most of the time."

Netizens wrote, "It's true it was the worst, but don't blame it on Gil. To be more accurate, the problem was the song BoA chose because it was not good and immature", "I agree, it wasn't as good as past years", and "Maybe I'm in the minority

Edited by superlita, 08 November 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#88 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

So sad that the netizens all blaming BoA for the G.A.B stage...I mean, although the song is composed by BoA, They are teammate so both of them do have responsibility for this. And in order to blend well with Gil's dancing ability, the dance difficulty has been lowered a lot. So sad that it not even BoA's style.

#89 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Regarding the vocal issue.....I think we should stop arguing about that unless you are undertaking vocal training or a vocal trainer. We have so much good and bad comments which do not have any credibility. We are not workers of SM who would know BoA is still undertaking vocal training or not.

If you wanted to make any technical comment, please make your comment credible to read.

#90 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

I do not take part in the vocal ability argument because honestly, I found her singing in G.A.B perfectly fine. Yes, she sounded coarse when she was shouting to the crowd but other than that, her singing was good as usual.

Anti-fans are just trying to bring down BoA when they have the chance... Many of their comments are nonsensical and immature, like BoA should take all the blame for composing the song and organising the stage? Come on, Gil is not a baby so he can have a say when they work together, and clearly, Gil seemed to enjoy the stage too. Also, even though the video received more dislikes as compared to the other Infinity Challenge videos, but the majority still liked it right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users