#91 a_chan

a_chan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOKI_tIBWVI
What you stated is exactly why Christina is using a vocal coach, I don't know if she was using one prior but she had her tour this past year and is planning to release a new album. Christina does strain and tends to have her bad moments when she goes and throws in a bunch of over the top adlibs, but the girl can sing. Vocal tone, Christina>BoA. Imo of course.

All of 2AM, Lim Jeong Hee, Kim Tae Woo are considered great vocalists reining from JYP, and IVY
is definitely one of the best female soloists (alongside BoA) who can actually dance and sing at the same time.

And why does the fact that Sun Ye doesn't rank within the top 5 current girl group members matter? Idol groups aren't known for their vocal ability.I'll give it Tae Yeon from SNSD and Hyorin from Sistar, but the rest of the girls within those idol groups are mediocre and plain bad.

My main issue with BoA is that she doesn't sing with an open throat so her notes tend to fall flat or go off key (I mean... I can make a compilation of it if you really want me to LOL) I've stated this thousands of times but BoA's vocal tone was significantly better when she was younger.I absolutely loved her voice then.
------

Anyways... worst news, BoA's getting a lot of flack for the G.A.B song:

[/size][/font][/color]

So on topic - it's too bad that the song isn't being well received but oh well. Infinity Challenge isn't really about serious music ventures anyway, it's just about having fun.

Off topic about vocals - as someone with vocal training I can tell you right now that Christina does not just have bad moments, she has had a bad career of vocalising from beginning to now. Vocal tone is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with technique. The thing about Christina is that she even strains on notes that should be easy for her to hit.

The people in JYP you mentioned are considered great vocalists by the general public but in reality are decent or okay at best, in 2AM it's only Changmin. Their support is fine, while their mix might be a bit unbalanced, they could be nasal etc. but the way they sing within a serviceable range is not going to damage their voice. Which is exactly the same as BoA.

About Sunye, I was just trying to make a point about the half air half sound thing. If that's the prefect technique then surely the best vocalist they have must be leagues ahead of her competition. When in reality she is behind Ailee, Hyorin, Taeyeon, Luna and Eunji. I honestly just got annoyed with JYP on kpop star lol. At least BoA showed Park Jimin she needed to stop singing in her throat.

You are right that BoA does not always sing with a completely open throat. She can but she is inconsistent with it. The important thing is that her current skill level lets her belt comfortably up to about C#5/D5 which is good, but beyond that is a hit or miss. I have a feeling that compilation would be full of E5s, F5s or the G5 from Lose Your Mind ><* lol. Trust me when I say that her new songs don't force her out of her current comfort zone. They are however making her get used to the upper part of her comfortable range, so she should be able to widen it with time.

#92 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

You are right that BoA does not always sing with a completely open throat. She can but she is inconsistent with it. The important thing is that her current skill level lets her belt comfortably up to about C#5/D5 which is good, but beyond that is a hit or miss. I have a feeling that compilation would be full of E5s, F5s or the G5 from Lose Your Mind ><* lol.

Yes, yes to everything here~

For recent performances, the only time I've ever been 99% content with her performance vocally is whenever she performs "Stand By", which has only been a total of three times (I think), but she executes it perfectly every time, then reverts to her... comfortable singing voice.

Last Year @ YOU&I:
http://vimeo.com/51322319
That performance was nearly perfect. If only she can sound like that every time.

Her "only one" sketchbook performance, as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP0Pzqe4sWQ

In comparison, her "Here I AM" ballad segment was a vocal hot mess.

#93 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

When she was younger, she had a much less nasally and more clear tone (although it still had some nasal in it). In terms of vocal tone alone (not singing skill), she hit her peak around 2005-2006. Though she strained her voice A LOT, there's no doubt that she sounded her best in BoA the Live, her 2006 tour. Her skill may have improved in certain aspects since then, but I'm pretty sure that if we were to play a performance from that tour and one from IDENTITY, the majority of the audience would prefer the former.

Compare her belting then to her belting now; the latter sounds like she's yelling. Her tone, in general, is not pleasing to most (especially non-Asian) people because it's nasally. However, it has gotten a lot more rough and scratchy over the years to the point where a lot of people wonder if she's sick in various performances.

As for the BoA & Gil performance, anti-fans really aren't the issue. BoA's not popular/hot enough right now to have a significant anti-fan base. She DID, at one point, but you can see that the majority of K-pop anti-fans are for the popular artists now (i.e., SNSD, 2NE1, etc). The general public is just unimpressed with the song and performance. If you read comments, you'll see that many are genuinely, not hatefully, wondering why she sounds the way she does (many are also asking if she's sick). Unfortunately, this has become the norm in her recent performances. Most likely due to improper technique, but mostly overwork in her earlier years.

Edited by MOTOWAYohsixfive, 10 November 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#94 Ryoga

Ryoga

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

i have to agree and im kind of surprised that boa hasnt really that many anti-fans or haters... im glad at the same time... i mean how can you not like a great entertainer like her.. she never really had any big scandals...

#95 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

When she was younger, she had a much less nasally and more clear tone (although it still had some nasal in it). In terms of vocal tone alone (not singing skill), she hit her peak around 2005-2006. Though she strained her voice A LOT, there's no doubt that she sounded her best in BoA the Live, her 2006 tour. Her skill may have improved in certain aspects since then, but I'm pretty sure that if we were to play a performance from that tour and one from IDENTITY, the majority of the audience would prefer the former.

Compare her belting then to her belting now; the latter sounds like she's yelling. Her tone, in general, is not pleasing to most (especially non-Asian) people because it's nasally. However, it has gotten a lot more rough and scratchy over the years to the point where a lot of people wonder if she's sick in various performances.

As for the BoA & Gil performance, anti-fans really aren't the issue. BoA's not popular/hot enough right now to have a significant anti-fan base. She DID, at one point, but you can see that the majority of K-pop anti-fans are for the popular artists now (i.e., SNSD, 2NE1, etc). The general public is just unimpressed with the song and performance. If you read comments, you'll see that many are genuinely, not hatefully, wondering why she sounds the way she does (many are also asking if she's sick). Unfortunately, this has become the norm in her recent performances. Most likely due to improper technique, but mostly overwork in her earlier years.

I completely agree with you.

Actually now that I think about it although I love and look up to BoA I've been "unimpressed" with her vocals recently too. I've found that I'm always watching her older live performances and never her newer ones. Also when I introduce people to BoA I only show them the studio recordings of her newer songs but I show them both studio recordings and live performances of her older songs. I feel bad about doing this sometimes :(

Edited by ShiroiChanUK, 12 November 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#96 Mashimaro-san

Mashimaro-san

VIVID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

People started complaining about BoA's nasally vocals around Winter Love came out, it was very evident with that single, her voices sounded so strained.

For me, the tone of the voice is the most important, range is secondary. You can have a high range but if you're tone sounds scratchy or nasally, its not worth it. A good tone of voice, even with a low range, can make anything sound beautiful.

Some of my favourite artists have good tone of voice but lower vocal range. The great vocalists are those who have both (nice tone and high range), and usually its achieved through coaching at a young age. I find either being vocal coached very young (especially learning to control the tone) and also studying music (whether performing arts or musical instruments, etc.) is a great way to do this based on my observation among great vocalists.

BoA had vocal coaching when she was really young but I feel that she really strained her voice, which resulted in her tone to have greatly diminished, she ends up sounding flat or nasally. BoA cerca 2002 to 2005 had a nice full tone in her voice, but it really started to diminish around Winter Love (2006-ish?) I think, and in the present she sounds nasally almost all the time except for the lower notes.

#97 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:30 AM

Personally, I think BoA still has the nice tone of voice (very different from the rest of the Asian singers), but the truth is, her voice is not consistent. I am not a fan of BoA because she has a powerhouse vocal (In contrary, I am a fan of Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson and Charice for their powerhouse vocal :)). I am BoA's fan because I like her stage presence, dancing ability, beauty, and emotions that she pour into the lines that she sings. I like her as a person too, meaning her character. I never introduce BoA to my friend as a powerhouse vocalist. I tell them that BoA is a great performer. Many have said that she has great technique, and I agree to that as well :)

Edited by 2boamystar, 18 November 2013 - 03:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users