2248 replies to this topic

#1291 rahe

rahe

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:40 PM

I don't mind the medium of EDM music with digitally created electronic sounds, but it's the lack of content, complexity and creativity from a music composition point of view that makes it "fast food". It's fast to make something with a short redundant leitmotif as "melody" of the entire song, have no counterpoint melody, have little or no harmonic progression to the simple leitmotif, have little variation in drum pattern, all being dragged out for many minutes by pure repetition and piece-by-piece layering of a normal 8-12 stanza worth of actual content. But why do EDM producers must drown us out with such repetition? They have no restrictions unlike pop vocals and lyrics.

Yes, pop songs have a routine structure as well (verse1-chorus-verse2-chorus), but what makes a good pop song from a composition perspective is how fruitful the content is. The structure is just a basic framework, so don't start calling all pop songs the same. Most American pop songs are pretty trashy nowadays. A simple 8 stanza phrase gets repeated for the entire song. There's barely any difference between the verse and chorus. There's no bridge. It's so dry. That's the Bieber kind of pop music that unfortunately becomes "successful". BoA had the same problem with her USA debut. Just listen to Energetic and count how many times "Report to the dance floor" is repeated. The whole song's melody hovers between a narrow range of keys and beats.

On the flip side, J-pop is no where near that. While it still follows a generic structure, it adds in all the features allowable, and it doesn't just recycle one simple motif as melody. Each melodic segment is unique to its own, blended together to make a whole song with low-lows and high-highs of tones/keys and emotion (in order to demonstrate the singer's skill). If all you listen to is J-pop then maybe it sounds similar in structure only, but if you compare to K-pop, American pop etc you'll find a huge difference in melodic, harmonic, and all sorts of variable creative content.

Masayume isn't even my top 10 favourite BoA fast songs. I'm just saying that a dance track converted into EDM medium makes for an interesting song because the dance/pop track already has the fruitful content that EDMs usually never have.

Oh look, you just described Kiss My Lips (and it's not even an edm song) lol Did you ever count how many times BoA say "nanananana" during Masayume Chasing?
You really can't get the point uh?
Jpop is so unique that you can easily find a "sound a like" for the whole made in 20 album
Honestly, pop music is more of a fast food music by the simple fact that most of it use recycled formulas while edm producers spend hours in the studio trying to make something different.

Oh and btw, Sean Garrett is not even an edm producer. He's a r&b producer. Maybe that's why his ""edm"" attempt failed while Bieber is huge thanks to Skrillex.

Edited by rahe, 24 October 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#1292 fararibmw

fararibmw

My BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Hi guys! its been years since I came back here.

Any of the old guys like me still hanging around here? ^_^

edit: feeling nostalgic and was going through my BoA collection. Kinda regret how i deleted all of her MV/lives/concerts. very very difficult to get them back now

Edited by fararibmw, 24 October 2016 - 05:21 AM.

#1293 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

let us not forget a "mediocre" song like No Matter What did pretty well on the chart. Some songs are meant to be listened to casually on a rainy day. BoA does not need to produce all songs that are "mind-blowing". Some cheesy "mediocre" songs would do just fine sometimes, at least some fans and non-fans like it. 

#1294 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:43 AM

Not to mention Who Are You did better than the gem Kiss My Lips that is

#1295 *-::Kwon Brian::-*

*-::Kwon Brian::-*

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

It really depends on the taste of music too. I prefer No Matter What, it's much better than Music Is Wonderful, imo.

#1296 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

@2boamystar give me a bop or give me nothing I say LOL.

At this point, I'm honestly willing to wait another two years for BoA to release quality music if I have to. 

@fararibmw I'm glad I've backed most of my BoA videos into an external hard-drive, I pull it out whenever I miss her TT.TT and reminiscence about her glory days...

#1297 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

Not to mention Who Are You did better than the gem Kiss My Lips that is

apparently kiss my lips is a fast food song

let us not forget a "mediocre" song like No Matter What did pretty well on the chart. Some songs are meant to be listened to casually on a rainy day. BoA does not need to produce all songs that are "mind-blowing". Some cheesy "mediocre" songs would do just fine sometimes, at least some fans and non-fans like it.

what are you even talking about lol no one even mentioned the word "mediocre" here
Oh and btw No Matter What flopped.

Edited by rahe, 26 October 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#1298 ainadalkaz

ainadalkaz

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

Oh and btw No Matter What flopped.

well, it was downloaded twice as much as KML and it did decently for being just a smstation single.

anyway, during the press conference for her new drama, she said that she will make a come back as a singer next year. 

#1299 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

maybe she mispelled golfer as singer, come on she said we will be seeing a lot of her in Japan, but noooo

#1300 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

well, it was downloaded twice as much as KML and it did decently for being just a smstation single.

anyway, during the press conference for her new drama, she said that she will make a come back as a singer next year.

It only proves that KML flopped twice as much as No Matter What

Are we going to talk about sales again? I thought we didn't care about it anymore.

maybe she mispelled golfer as singer, come on she said we will be seeing a lot of her in Japan, but noooo

I hope so. I'm too old for BoAxHyori comparisons tbh

AwvCjnj.jpg

Edited by rahe, 26 October 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#1301 ainadalkaz

ainadalkaz

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

lmao bye! 

not sure why avex hasn't done anything, I was expecting that album this fall but I guess it's not coming anymore. I feel like she has more creative control over her content in Korea compared to Japan, but maybe I'm wrong

It only proves that KML flopped twice as much as No Matter What

Are we going to talk about sales again? I thought we didn't care about it anymore.

I just wanted to point out that even if it flopped, it wasn't as big of a flop as most of the smstation releases.

I kinda want her and Hyori to cb at the same time, I'd love to see all the comparisons and people arguing who is "the queen of pop" lol

#1302 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

No thanks :lol: People argue about that even when neither of them are promoting so don't encourage the peoples please :P

Hi guys! its been years since I came back here.

Any of the old guys like me still hanging around here? ^_^

edit: feeling nostalgic and was going through my BoA collection. Kinda regret how i deleted all of her MV/lives/concerts. very very difficult to get them back now

Hi ^^ Some are still around ^^ I'm one of the newer members if you count 2012 as new :lol:

I don't have any of BoA's concerts saved on my computer. Just her appearance on Hidden Singer ^^ I think even back in 2012 it was difficult to find a lot of her concerts online.

#1303 *-::Kwon Brian::-*

*-::Kwon Brian::-*

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:40 AM

I'm here since like 2004 or 2005 hahaha. I still have a lot of her old performances even not HQ. Trying to collect everything from this woman hahaha

#1304 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

^ the early 2000's was a great time in her career. I still listen to her older stuff the most. I didn't get into BoA til like 2006-2007 though.

#1305 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

^ the early 2000's was a great time in her career. I still listen to her older stuff the most. I didn't get into BoA til like 2006-2007 though.

Same ^^ I go back to her VALENTI, My Name and GoT albums the most ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users