superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

QNhuF6.jpg

TL;DR

I'm probably just being an over sensitive fan, but I was really irked by CL's statement regarding her having "no example", almost as if she's brushing off the Asian acts (Utada, BoA, Se7en, Wonder Girls, ect.) who attempted. She mentions having no Asian Female mentor but why not include the entirety of Asians? There's a lack of Asians in general in the American market, where the entire race is often times misrepresented.

Yes, they all flopped but give them credit when it's due, they tried their hand at the American market and to state that she's the first to embark on this endeavor is rather pretentious, as if she believes she is guaranteed to succeed.

Although I'll admit that of all the K-pop/Asian acts, she has a very high percentage to succeed in breaking the American market due to her music style, her ability to connect with the American audience, and her high-profile connections. *Just as long as we don't get another "Baddest Female".

If anything, the Asian acts who came before CL can serve as an example of what not to do. I'm sure us BoA fans can list all the factors that played a part in BoA's failure... LOL.

As stated, there are little to no Asian artists in mainstream American media and to not acknowledge those who tried is a disservice to them and down right pretentious. There shouldn't be any competition to see who succeeds or not, Asians are a niche in the American market and as a fellow Asian she should've acknowledged them and their attempts.

Rant over. Any input?

LOLOL

#2 celbel

celbel

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

^ Can you post a link to where she said this??

Man.... yeh CL probably has a much better chance of success mostly due to her connections aka Scooter Braun, which is thanks to PSY. Her music style is nothing special or out of the ordinary (in America at least - sounds similar to Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj, etc), but she's definitely a charismatic performer and if she has the right material then she definitely has a shot at being successful in the US. Her being Korean can even be in her favour if marketed correctly, it's definitely something that sets her apart/makes her different. 

But yeh 'baddest female' .. was, well, BAD. 

haha 

And not giving props to BoA, Wonder Girls, etc... her answer sounds fair. And she did mention that there were others, just that they weren't successful enough to mentor her in this. Which is fair enough I guess. She has a major advantage over BoA, Wonder Girls and Se7en though with language at least. She's already pretty much fluent in English (I think she speaks a bit weird and that when Bom actually speaks english it sounds much more natural than CL). All the best to her. (Even though honestly I wish it was BoA!! *sigh* :( )

But sorry CL - you're great in your own way - but you're not ALL THAT and still have a long way to go before you can even touch our BoA or even Utada.

Edited by celbel, 22 December 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#3 superlita

superlita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

^interview from here: 

Acknowledgement is all I'm asking from her.

I have a hate love relationship with YG artists, (primarily 2ne1 and BB). They have great producers and release (some) great music, but hate how they dissociate themselves from other k-pop acts not under YG.

#4 celbel

celbel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

^ that's true and a good way too put it. I feel like that sort of attitude comes mainly from CL and G-dragon.

I actually feel sorry for Bom and Dara cos I feel like they probably want to befriend other idols etc but they're very isolated and both quite shy unless you know them well. At least it seems that way.

Just read the whole article. Thanks for the link. It's a bit annoying how she does seem to disassociate herself and 2ne1 from kpop. Kpop is Korean pop music. Yes there are different styles and she probably means the usual style or better representation of kpop is the cutesy stuff. I totally disagree with that. K pop is just pop music that happens to be sung in Korean. And pop is incredibly diverse and can have many different influences whether in English, Korean or any other language! It's definitely a bit annoying how she seems to have this attitude that she, 2ne1 or YG is somehow better and different to the rest of the kpop industry.

#5 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

Caddie In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

QNhuF6.jpg

After reading through this a few times I don't think she meant anything bad by it and honestly I think this is just a case of simple misunderstanding. While she did say she "has no example" and "there's no one in front of me who's done this before" she did also said "maybe there were people who have tried, but I can't really name anyone who was successful enough to be my mentor as an Asian woman." It could be that even though the stars who tried before her are hugely successful within their respective countries their impact on the US just wasn't big enough for their US debuts to actually be remembered even in their own country and let's face it they didn't leave an impact. I can also understand her wanting a mentor who was successful. It must be considerably discouraging to know that some of the biggest names in Asian music failed to make it in the US. I do agree with your point that their failures should serve as examples of what not to do.

However, while I still stand by what I said CL does often give off an "I'm it, you're s**t" vibe :lol:

Edited by ShiroiChanUK, 24 December 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#6 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

She probably said that to avoid opening another can of worms. Think about it: if she had said the typical respect-your-elders Korean answer (mentioning Utada, Se7en, BoA, WG, SNSD), the interviewer would probably ask, "And why do you think they didn't succeed?" Now THAT would be a hard question to answer (we all know the reasons, but it would be difficult for a celeb like CL to say them).

I'm excited for debut. She has the best chances out of everyone who's tried so far, even if you disregard the language factor (Utada speaks better English than CL, but I would still put my money on CL). She just has a strong personality (think American singers) and stage presence (think BoA like 9 years ago). 

#7 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

Hmm...I guess Charice wouldn't really count. I don't hear much from her anymore. I am also excited for CL's American debut. There have been comparisons between her and this other singer, Iggy Azalea(I don't listen to new American pop so I don't know her). The Baddest Female was so average and sounded like some other hip hop song. Forgot the title of that particular track. If I had to compare Utada to CL then I would have to say that Utada has more unique and interesting music if you count the Exodus album (still love that experimental masterpiece). As long as CL doesn't work with Will.I.Am then she should at least get noticed more compared to the others.

Edited by YourSonnetMyLove, 19 January 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#8 Kentjr

Kentjr

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, BoA has tried, but she wasn't really successful either in the regard of what it is to break into the American market. I honestly think this is nothing to really be bothered by. CL answered the question truthfully, she really doesn't have anyone that she can honestly say she could be mentored by as an Asian woman trying to break into the U.S Market. Wonder Girls are basically finished and barely made a dent. BoA wasn't here long enough, nor did she really even get her feet wet here to actually market her material. Most of her promotion was underground/indiepop interviews that are only revealed to blogs. Se7en also came nowhere close either. Utada is the closest and that's likely because she actually was doing some proper promotional materials and was actually signed to a label that could push her material. Utada is fluent but she also did not exactly break into the market either. I only hope that CL is guided by people who have her best interests at heart, as we know with BoA's experiences it's not easy, and I don't blame her for feeling lost or alone in this.

@YoursonnetMyLove I do think that people like to try and compare artists out of familiarity but Rita and CL are really nothing alike so I doubt those comparisons would go much of anywhere. Plus that's the first I've ever heard of that comparison.

#9 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, BoA has tried, but she wasn't really successful either in the regard of what it is to break into the American market. I honestly think this is nothing to really be bothered by. CL answered the question truthfully, she really doesn't have anyone that she can honestly say she could be mentored by as an Asian woman trying to break into the U.S Market. Wonder Girls are basically finished and barely made a dent. BoA wasn't here long enough, nor did she really even get her feet wet here to actually market her material. Most of her promotion was underground/indiepop interviews that are only revealed to blogs. Se7en also came nowhere close either. Utada is the closest and that's likely because she actually was doing some proper promotional materials and was actually signed to a label that could push her material. Utada is fluent but she also did not exactly break into the market either. I only hope that CL is guided by people who have her best interests at heart, as we know with BoA's experiences it's not easy, and I don't blame her for feeling lost or alone in this.

@YoursonnetMyLove I do think that people like to try and compare artists out of familiarity but Rita and CL are really nothing alike so I doubt those comparisons would go much of anywhere. Plus that's the first I've ever heard of that comparison.

My mistake. I meant Iggy Azalea, not Rita Ora.

Edited by YourSonnetMyLove, 19 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#10 superlita

superlita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

@YourSonnetMyLove Yeah, I wouldn't consider Charice in the list since she isn't a cross over artist. You would think that with all of her connections she would've been the one to make it... But there's little news of her now.

I really wanted Utada to make it, loved the "Exodus" single, but wasn't crazy over "This is the One". I need new music from her... <3

If CL releases a smash like "Menboong" she'll make an impact, I think it's safe to say she'll be going the hip-hop/edm route which appeals to the mass.

#11 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

So CL is releasing her first single "Lifted" on 8/19. I'm assuming it's her English one.

#12 superlita

superlita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

^Have you listened to it? Thoughts? I felt like "Hello Bitches" should've been announced as the debut single (the lyrics could've been better but I liked it), with "Lifted" as a b-side.

#13 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

If I had to compare then HB is definitely a good debut single though I don't particularly like any of her solo singles (except MTBD). Lifted and HB both sound average tbh. 2NE1's songs are so much impressive but I wouldn't mind seeing her attempt to crack the North American music industry.

#14 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

Are any of you going to the CL's Hello, Bitches solo tour? My friend asked me if I wanted to go but I have to deal with personal issues now. I don't know if anybody here is a CL fan. I really miss 2ne1 though.

#15 pauloumulk

pauloumulk

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

As the forum is getting busier and busier we are inevitably getting quite a lot of spam. The threads are being reported and me and the mods are doing a pretty good job at sniping the spam as quick as possible. However, it makes our job a lot more difficult when people comment on the spam. Please just click the report post button and we will get to it as soon as possible. I often find I am in a hurry when deleting spam, clcik on the user, ban them and delete the account. If someone has posted a comment or a funny picture in the thread there is a chance I may accidentally delete their account. So, please keep this in mind and simply report spam rather than commenting on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users