#1 rahe

rahe

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

DRAMA ALERT - Immature fangirl

I'm probably the youngest member active on BoAjjang and the one who spend the less time following BoA. Sometimes I may sound too harsh with my opinions but actually I'm just worried with her. She's not even 30 and hearing her say that "she's not the best anymore" or that she isn't "giving her all" in performances breaks my heart in a hundred pieces. I would be so hurted if BoA decide to retire because she's not feeling appreciated anymore and the wrost part is that I can't do anything instead of spamming her instagram/twitter with messages saying how much I love her and her music. I wish I was rich only to bulk buy her album :(
Spoiler

I think nobody can understand how much this woman means to me and how I want her to be happy.

Someone comfort me please
iT3Zfo3.jpg
cr: mygiffactory

Edited by rahe, 13 June 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#2 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

BoA has mentioned that she does get hurt easily (EXO 90:2014), and I think her confidence has significantly declined as a result of the lack of positive feedback for her recent works, both in Japan and Korea. 

The Korean netizens were actually the one's who said BoA "isn't giving her all":

She's also a bit mystified/disappointed by the comments that say she isn't giving her all in her performances. She feels she is giving her all. She said she still gets really tense/nervous. BoA said it's very important to her that with all performances that she gives it her all.

BoA's feminine concept for this comeback was probably the reason people think she's not giving her all, her stages aren't the typical high-energy and complex stages viewers are use to. Rather than having her comeback centered around perfectly executed performances, it was about the music and the production of the album. Her performances suffered as result imo, as more time and effort was put into the making of the album. 

When BoA admitted that she's no longer the best,  it's true, the statement was most likely referring to ranking, sales, popularity ect., not talent– BoA's talents still surpasses a lot of idols by miles. 

Retirement is still in the distant future for BoA imo, she still has a lot to give to the Korean music industry. But I honestly don't know what direction BoA will go towards at this point, she'll either fall into a slump and release mediocre music to fulfill her quota and focus on picking up more acting projects, or redeem herself and blow everyone out of the water with more music releases. As a fan, I'm hoping for the latter.

She's slowly burning out, and being under SME can take a toll on you both physically and mentally, not to mention she's been doing this for 15 years. She's SME's longest active artist still churning out music. I'm hoping she rekindles some of that lost flame, we saw it during her "Here I Am" concerts, I need that BoA.

#3 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:26 PM

First, there will come a time when BoA retires... 

But I get what you're saying (that now is too soon). 

When Koreans say she's "not trying," it refers largely to the lack of special stages/performances she does. Even when she did "Only One," a very strenuous song with a very difficult dance, Koreans were consistently underwhelmed because it was almost always the same performance. She does the standard routine and rarely changes it up. In comparison, you see almost every one else in the Korean market doing remixes, new dances/dance breaks, covers, etc. They add something so that their performances aren't the same all the time. Yes, this leads to some bad performances (because they have a short amount of time to practice), but it shows the audience that they're trying and makes things more exciting. Nowadays, BoA RARELY ever offers anything new to the typical routines she does, so the impression that Korean audiences get is that she's "not trying" to add anything special. 

I have no doubt she's very sad about the poor performance of the album, which is merely a snapshot of what she's been experiencing these past few years. I'm sure she was sad about Make Your Move consistently being pushed back and the poor turnout at theaters (especially in Korea -- where it really hits home, both figuratively and literally). I'm not sure if she even cares about her Japanese career, but there's that as well. 

These next few months will be important for her to decide what she wants to do with her life (she's still young!) and how "resilient" she is in terms of bouncing back from failure (and in her case, multiple failures). It's particularly challenging for her because she tasted HUGE success at such a young age and to see her former popularity dwindle down potentially hurts more than someone who's never had success at all.  

I would suggest she look at options outside of Korea. She's in a market that doesn't bode well for older female soloists. If she were in the American market, for instance, no one would be calling her "old," and retirement would be in the distant future. KML would also have better public reception. However, it seems that these days, BoA wants to focus on her Korean career. :| 

Edited by MOTOWAYohsixfive, 13 June 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#4 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

BoA has mentioned that she does get hurt easily (EXO 90:2014), and I think her confidence has significantly declined as a result of the lack of positive feedback for her recent works, both in Japan and Korea.

The Korean netizens were actually the one's who said BoA "isn't giving her all":

BoA's feminine concept for this comeback was probably the reason people think she's not giving her all, her stages aren't the typical high-energy and complex stages viewers are use to. Rather than having her comeback centered around perfectly executed performances, it was about the music and the production of the album. Her performances suffered as result imo, as more time and effort was put into the making of the album.

When BoA admitted that she's no longer the best, it's true, the statement was most likely referring to ranking, sales, popularity ect., not talent– BoA's talents still surpasses a lot of idols by miles.

Retirement is still in the distant future for BoA imo, she still has a lot to give to the Korean music industry. But I honestly don't know what direction BoA will go towards at this point, she'll either fall into a slump and release mediocre music to fulfill her quota and focus on picking up more acting projects, or redeem herself and blow everyone out of the water with more music releases. As a fan, I'm hoping for the latter.

She's slowly burning out, and being under SME can take a toll on you both physically and mentally, not to mention she's been doing this for 15 years. She's SME's longest active artist still churning out music. I'm hoping she rekindles some of that lost flame, we saw it during her "Here I Am" concerts, I need that BoA.

Agreed. What BoA needs the most at this moment is the support from her agency... but it seems they'll focus on their rookies to protect themselves from the loss of income that TVXQ will leave.

Spoiler

First, there will come a time when BoA retires...

But I get what you're saying (that now is too soon).

When Koreans say she's "not trying," it refers largely to the lack of special stages/performances she does. Even when she did "Only One," a very strenuous song with a very difficult dance, Koreans were consistently underwhelmed because it was almost always the same performance. She does the standard routine and rarely changes it up. In comparison, you see almost every one else in the Korean market doing remixes, new dances/dance breaks, covers, etc. They add something so that their performances aren't the same all the time. Yes, this leads to some bad performances (because they have a short amount of time to practice), but it shows the audience that they're trying and makes things more exciting. Nowadays, BoA RARELY ever offers anything new to the typical routines she does, so the impression that Korean audiences get is that she's "not trying" to add anything special.

I have no doubt she's very sad about the poor performance of the album, which is merely a snapshot of what she's been experiencing these past few years. I'm sure she was sad about Make Your Move consistently being pushed back and the poor turnout at theaters (especially in Korea -- where it really hits home, both figuratively and literally). I'm not sure if she even cares about her Japanese career, but there's that as well.

These next few months will be important for her to decide what she wants to do with her life (she's still young!) and how "resilient" she is in terms of bouncing back from failure (and in her case, multiple failures). It's particularly challenging for her because she tasted HUGE success at such a young age and to see her former popularity dwindle down potentially hurts more than someone who's never had success at all.

I would suggest she look at options outside of Korea. She's in a market that doesn't bode well for older female soloists. If she were in the American market, for instance, no one would be calling her "old," and retirement would be in the distant future. KML would also have better public reception. However, it seems that these days, BoA wants to focus on her Korean career. :|

I don't think so. BoA has been really slow with her korean releases and she's not making a lot of appearances.

#5 keepsgettinbetter

keepsgettinbetter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

However, it seems that these days, BoA wants to focus on her Korean career. :| 

I mean, it makes sense considering how global K-pop is now.  

In terms of retirement, I don't think she'd do that just yet, but I think her releases are going to be even more sporadic than they are now. I feel like she might focus on acting more and contribute random songs to OSTs to quench her musical thirsts.

#6 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

Whilst we're on the topic. BoA's instagram updates:

11348312_1182817578402902_408344393_n.jp

@BoAkwon: Aigoo so much fun!!!!!!! Imma play for the time being~hyping up~~ ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹

11352374_651946611605578_383232568_n.jpg

@BoAkwon:  It's the seaa~~~~~~~ Yeahhhh!!! 🌊🌊

1799736_448319165327988_465593426_n.jpg

@BoAkwon: As we went back to Seoul already suddenly I wanna be there again ㅜㅜ #girlsparty #healingtrip #eatingtour

Honestly, I was feeling a bit bitter that BoA was already going on a trip/vacation after a mere month of poor promotions without trying to salvage the ruins of this comeback... but in her most recent post she has the hashtag #healingtrip.

On an emotional/mental health level, I think she needed it. :(

#7 Ryoga

Ryoga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

This girl is always hard working. Give her some rest. It's good seeing her having fun

#8 celbel

celbel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

Agreed. Good to see her having fun with friends. She's such a hard worker.

#9 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

This girl is always hard working. Give her some rest. It's good seeing her having fun

...but she's always vacationing...

#10 iDenntity

iDenntity

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

To be honest, it will be hard for me as a fan but if BoA ever retires...

Wherever she goes, I will support her :)

#11 superlita

superlita

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

I just hope the trip re-motivated BoA and boosted her confidence. Despite broadcasting promotions being officially over, I hope she continues to promote the album via radio, free/street performances, events ect. and continue to boost sales (and hopefully follow up w/ a repackage)– cutting off promotions after a mere month is way too short. I really like the album and it would be a waste if it's just pushed aside, especially after all the hard work that was put into it. There are plenty of solid songs on the album that the general public aren't exposed to, and by continuing to promote the album it may gain more interest. 

I'm not expecting some miracle to happen like what happened to EXID, where their song "Up & Down" initially charted poorly but 3-4 months later it regained popularity charting @ #1, all because of a fancam.

I feel like a lot more can be done to promote the album, and SM isn't stepping up to assist BoA to promote properly. They've treated the promotions as if she were SHINee or SNSD, who have large fanbases to back them, they need to get on a more personal level in order to reach the mass i.e. (to reiterate) street performances and free mini-concerts/venues.

It's nice to see BoA relax, but her career is on the line.

#12 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Honestly a part of me just wants her to do whatever makes her happy, Korean music isn't what it used to be anyway..

#13 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

I would be devastated if she retired but I wouldn't blame her if she went on a hiatus to live a normal life (find a boyfriend, get married, etc). It doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon since she seems to want to take more control of her own music. To me, she still has a love for music so retirement doesn't seem to be on her mind.

#14 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Apparently there's going to be a 15th anniversary concert, so chill out a sec. There's no retiring yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users