66 replies to this topic

#1 sakyh

sakyh

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Today, more Americans seems interested in Asain cultures. (mainly japanese, I assume) Though it might not seem that big, its still something. So, as an American teenager, I want to know what you, the Asians (sorry if that sounds mean), think of this. Do you like it, think its neat? Do you not really care? Or are you afraid some stupid kid is going to mess things up? Whats your opinion?

#2 krjeami

krjeami

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

Um, well, Japan fans usually annoy the crap out of me. Although Asian culture may seem to be more embraced nowadays, I notice, so does racism against Asians. :D The other day I saw an article in the newspaper (review about an Asian movie) and it was filled with racist and stereotypical comments about Koreans, Japanese, and the Chinese. How is this acceptable and not stereotypes about Jews, blacks, etc?

#3 Squiddy

Squiddy

i'm PMSing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

I don't know...I see there are people that are interested in the Asian race...but I see even more racists against the Asian race..

#4 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

How would you define a Japan fan? How about a person who just wants a deeper understanding of the culture? Or just enjoys the music?
I think the stereotypes are there because no one really says anything against them. What are some of these stereotypes?

#5 krjeami

krjeami

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

^In my mind, a Japan fan is someone who is obsessed with Japanese anime, manga, etc. but know nothing about the country otherwise. Yet, they claim to love Japan. They annoy the crap out of me :D Especially when they ask me to write things in Japanese (which I barely know).

#6 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

ok. I see what you mean.
so...I love the music & anime. But I want to know more about the people, what makes them who they are. I want to live among them, study abroad. I know I will never fully understand, being a foreigner, but I wish to try. Am I a Japan-fan?

#7 AngelicBeatofBoa

AngelicBeatofBoa

BoA*'s Guardian Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

yet. even though more ppl are interested in asian stuff.. nowadays.. there is also racism.. and ppl making fun of other ppl jus bcuz they are of different skin colour and of diffrent language.. :D dat disappoints me..

#8 [aNj3L_o1]

[aNj3L_o1]

614E6A334C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

I don't really mind what happens. The only thing that annoys me is the amount of ridiculous racism that occurs towards Asians.

#9 CKJ-C

CKJ-C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Same thing with krjeami, dont like those people. Most of the time people make fun of Asian people.

#10 dannynguyen

dannynguyen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

yeah.. these highschool guys thought i was like a newcomer from asia.. and they were mocking my language but takling gibberish ._.

#11 Strawberries513

Strawberries513

~Azn Wannabe~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

im not asian, so idk if i should reply here. but eather way, alot of people i know are racist and stereotypical against asains. and it REALLY bothers me. i strive to understand diffrent asian cultures and languages. i love the music but im not an anime/manga fun much...
so am i a japan fan?? lol

#12 Choopy

Choopy

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

I don't hear much of Asian culture from the media, or as much racial humor toward asians, as white and black. Like Dave Chappelle said, Asians don't beef with anyone (but other Asians :D). There's always the typical white/black humor in movies, but rarely Asian. I guess that's a good thing?

Then again, there's also a downside to the abscence of Asians in todays media... I mean there's hardly as many recognized Asian actors, actresses, artists, musicians, etc. as there are white and black. And alot of incidents, including that hot97 one, aren't bothered with or noticed. It's like we're not interesting... or something. And that article krjeami mentioned... The fact that they would allow that crap upsets me. :P

Wow, I totally forgot what I was talking about... Wtf am I saying...
Anyway it's just Japanese culture embraced nowadays, I think. Not Asian. :D

And if that's the case then I really don't care.

#13 ptoor

ptoor

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

*Moved to serious discussion*

Let's get some more awsome posts in here! :D

#14 Evolution

Evolution

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

As the Asian influence grows, so will the racism against Asians. Not everyone in the world respects or accepts asians. Racism will always be there, regardless of whether the asian culture becomes popular or not. Everyone thinks differently, be they asian or some other race.

In the country I'm at currently, you don't hear much about asians in the media. But when you do, its always the bad stuff, not the good. This leads then to more people assuming that Asians are bad for the community, hence the racism. It may not look like it, but racism is high among society, whether they express that or not, is a different story.

Regarding the Japanese culture, its no wonder that the Japanese culture is becoming more popular. After all, they supply most of the worlds technological advancements. Not to mention their Animated TV shows and movies are hitting it big nowadays, with english subbing/dubbing. People all over the world are becoming more interested in the Japanese culture, the food, the cartoon/anime shows, the technology, but regardless, there are still that show racism against them, and the chinese/koreans for that matter.

The point is, these types of people do not take the time to learn and understand what other cultures are all about (although, IMO, this is not so much the case with the Japanese culture). They are too much blinded by their own culture that they refuse to acknowledge the asian presence. If they do, its usually, though not always, expressed in the form of racism.

#15 JuBiLee

JuBiLee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

i think its stupid .. sorta.. i have an american friend who's like a japanese wannabe.. kinda dude.. he always talks about japan and stuf.. yea.. i think its just stupid that most americans usually just care for japan. .and not any other asian countries. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users