66 replies to this topic

#16 krjeami

krjeami

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

^Not necessarily... I actually know more than a couple of people who like to obsess over Korean beauty and technology (and Asian technology in general). I'd even qualify one has a Japan/Korea fan. I also know lots who like Kpop. I even met a junior who was obsessed with H.O.T in middle school.
Manhwa (Korean manga) is also the 3rd most popular animated comic thingers in the US.

#17 Odyism

Odyism

Odyism

• Banned
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:35 AM

^In my mind, a Japan fan is someone who is obsessed with Japanese anime, manga, etc. but know nothing about the country otherwise. Yet, they claim to love Japan. They annoy the crap out of me :) Especially when they ask me to write things in Japanese (which I barely know).

View Post

I agree with you KrJeami. I admit I used to be like that a little bit, but I grew out of it. Alot of my friends who like anime and manga become so obsessed they decide they want to live in japan and make their own anime/manga (when theyhave never touched a pencil in their lives). Some of them even go on about how they would only want to marry a Japanese prson just so they will have "beautiful babies". Sometimes it really disgusts me :( especially when fans of anime just decide to place random japan words in everyday use such as kawaii + baka + neko (<- the 3 most popular ords among Japan fans.)
I love Japanese music, some of their movies, and alot of their celebrities but I know when not to cross the line and claim to have knowledge of everything JPN based.

To me Asian culture becomming more popular with their entertainment is a double edged sword. On one hand ou have people who really want to understand different Asian culutres, but at the same time it breeds 10 year old boys who think Japan is a land where video game and anime characters come to life.....

^^; (end rant.)

#18 Irzu7

Irzu7

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:38 AM

^ wow everyone here is so knowledgeable in this subject.....Besides the racism which still heavily lingers in 2days society, its the generalisation that really gets 2 me.....whether we're being called 'ching chong' or 'Mr Miyagi' some white ppl not all jus place Asians in the one boat without respect for asian cultural diversity.

#19 ptoor

ptoor

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:43 AM

i think its stupid .. sorta.. i have an american friend who's like a japanese wannabe.. kinda dude.. he always talks about japan and stuf.. yea.. i think its just stupid that most americans usually just care for japan. .and not any other asian countries. .

View Post

Saying something is stupid doesn't make it stupid.
Please elaborate on your post, as we're aiming for a more debatable topic.

#20 Shattered;Koibumi

Shattered;Koibumi

Kagome Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:34 AM

^In my mind, a Japan fan is someone who is obsessed with Japanese anime, manga, etc. but know nothing about the country otherwise. Yet, they claim to love Japan. They annoy the crap out of me :) Especially when they ask me to write things in Japanese (which I barely know).

View Post

I know alot of those....i.e. the kids in the anime club at my school.....
but, I'm speaking as Nadia, a non-asian who happens to be highly interested in the asian culture but you can't blame someone for being interested in the asian, maybe specifically the japanese culture by anime and manga in the first place. Thats what grabbed my attention....but I realized there was more to this amazing culture than just that. I'm currently learning japanese(almost fluent), I'm doing that to show respect to the country that got me into even caring about the asian culture then i'm going for korean and then so on.....and when you speak of people not knowing whats out there besides Japanese manga and anime I would disagree, people I know are taking serious steps to create a connection, a bond or understanding with asians. I, myself has an amazing knowledge of the history of most asian countries because 1) My 2 sisters lived in Japan, one's in China know cause she's in the army(but she's gathering great understanding of their culture) and one is still currently living in Yokohama and 2) cause some of my family is from Indonesia(married in) along with the puerto ricans and europeans....but thats steering off toic. Also racism is not only a strong word, it also not really on point with this topic cause I thought this topic was more about the influence of asian in the american community......I know racism, yeah its surfacing under without actually showing physical hate toward a specific race.....ANYONE is entitled to think their race is superior to another's, it was like that a few years ago in the south of America where I currently reside.....but you just dont have the right to show it physically.
So I think the understanding between asians and americans have grown

Not completely finish but I gotta go! Sorry for typing so much

#21 Mikenyhk

Mikenyhk

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

I'm not worried about ppl messing up things.. u can be perfect n ppl say ur not.. soooo Americans having interest in Asian things is good.. so they can know what we are really about.. we have our own unique culture, food, and history.. Its good to know if americans know the basic facts between Korean, Japanese, and Chinese...they think we're all the same..but we're totally not.. just little bit in common~

#22 sakura_lite

sakura_lite

DBSK Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

Most of the people in my school are asian but somehow everyone just assume that if we look yellow (oriental) we are naturally smart, especially in Math. Many non-orientals mock the chinese accent and I get really mad. I mean they have no right to mock us. When new students (mostly chinese) came to our school, they often got made fun of by the "cool" people. I'm surprised that the non asians want to be more asian.

#23 Kirei_BoA

Kirei_BoA

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

well personally i dun think a lot of ppl have that much interest towards asian culture. i mean i think some ppl do, but i know some ppl are like, " OOH chinese symbol on shirt! that looks hot! must get!" meanwhile that could say i'm a dumbass or whatever. i know something like that happened to a star. personally, i dunno enough ppl who are interested in jpop or anything. i mean i do online, but not in person.

Edited by Kirei_BoA, 20 July 2005 - 04:28 AM.

#24 babydragon

babydragon

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

Most of the people in my school are asian but somehow everyone just assume that if we look yellow (oriental) we are naturally smart, especially in Math. Many non-orientals mock the chinese accent and I get really mad. I mean they have no right to mock us. When new students (mostly chinese) came to our school, they often got made fun of by the "cool" people. I'm surprised that the non asians want to be more asian.

^yeh yeh! The the pulling of their eyes ANNOYES ME TILL AN EXTEND THAT I WILL KILL THEM....But anyways, theres no harm that people are intrested about other people's cultures but there are some people who wants to be another race....its just weird. I'm intrested in Kpop and Jpop but it because it different from the normal music that the same over and over again. but i still stick with my cpop..LOL

Edited by babydragon, 02 April 2005 - 02:58 PM.

#25 weirdnshort

weirdnshort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

I agree with Mimi.Chan that it's not bad that people become interested in Japan because of anime or manga. I'm an anime fan, but I don't claim to be a "Japan fan". I know some of my friends want to go to Japan because it seems to be a neat place, but they also don't claim to be a "Japan" fan.

I don't really encounter that much rasicm... or maybe i just don't really notice that much. Although one time, I do remember a rude McDonlad's customer that ignored me, didn't want to be served by me because i am Chinese. (but that was really weird, never happend before) or maybe it was something else.... it was an awkward situation.

Maybe I'm lucky because I went to schools that taught Mandarin as a second language (in elementary, it was bilingual) so a large portion of the school were Asians. Racisim was never a real problem for me.

Edited by melonyhappy, 02 April 2005 - 03:15 PM.

#26 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:24 PM

So many good posts! I like hearing what everyone has to say about this subject.
Something Ody said earlier was funny, about "japan fans" using the word neko in their conversations...Neko means cat....right?

Sometimes I feel bad, or worried, becasue I am so interested in the Japanese culture. I guess its because I don't want to seem like a "japan-fan", & I don't really do much with Chinese & Korean culture. (i've seen some chinese movies w/ziyi zhang, & i've listened to music from both countries, & enjoyed it. i even watch the chinese channel sometimes^^)
It's kinda hard to explain...I don't want to automatically catergorized as a fan becasue I am interested in it. I want to ask a lot of quesitons, but not annoy. That's what I'm afraid of-driving someone away.

I agree with what Mimi-chan said before:

but I realized there was more to this amazing culture than just that. I'm currently learning japanese(almost fluent), I'm doing that to show respect to the country that got me into even caring about the asian culture then i'm going for korean and then so on.....and when you speak of people not knowing whats out there besides Japanese manga and anime I would disagree, people I know are taking serious steps to create a connection, a bond or understanding with asians.

If more people take the time to learn the language, learn about the culture, & talk to the people, I think there will be more of a bond between us all, & the racism will be pushed back. When I think about, there has been a slight wall between the continents. The best way to break it down, if its even just a little bit, is through interaction. We all need to respect & teach each other, no matter who we are, what we look like, or what language we speak.
*whew* Hope that all made sense.
Thank you for your time, & your wonderful responses.

#27 kingster0517

kingster0517

For Shiznittle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

I love how people are interested in the Asian culture. Who wouldn't? BUT, I hate it when my friends tease me for my culture... but I slap them right back in the face, because I'm so proud of my culture. I wouldn't be any other 50% nationality. But I love it when my friends ask about certain things about the Asian culture and they get interested and eventually obsess over it (BoA).

#28 foreverdancer

foreverdancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

Asian culture is embraced but to an extent. People enjoy chinese food, anime/manga, etc. But sadly racism exists not only with asians but with every race.

#29 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:50 AM

Well I must admit that there has always been the trend of Japanese cartoons/manga and technology in western societies, however of late I have noticed that Chinese culture is also being intergrated into popular culture.

Eg. Those (really bad) movies like 'HERO' or 'CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON'

Still, like some people said, it gets annoying when a person wants to be so 'asian' without understanding the actual culture of the people. Now, with those people who truly strive to better understand the culture; great, that sounds brilliant to me. However I think if a person seeks to seem more 'asian' simply on a popular culture level and ACTING asian (by putting on a fake accent and such) it just becomes offensive.
(Sometimes to a point where you just feel like beating them up with an oriental-style fan...just for irony's sake =/)

Another side to this is that the intergration of Asian culture into pop culture is that it may just wipe out alot of racism. True, the culture may end up being another aspect of pop culture...but that's what happened to the African-Americans, and racism towards African-Americans have lessened drastically over the years.
Pop culture often ends up being the bridge between different cultures...it may stereotype cultures...but at least it helps reduce the hostility towards us --which is all that matters. :D

ALTHOUGH, on another note...I have to admit, when people confuse different asian ethnicities with each other...it DOES annoy me just a bit.
When my friend tried to argue with me that 'HERO' was a japanese movie I nearly died from trying to suppress my frustration with her. :P
But hey, some people just cant help it. *shrugs*

*grumbles a bit* :lol: ...however I do take the trouble to learn the differences between Japanese, Korean and Chinese...you'd think they'd at least TRY.

O/T:
NOTE TO ALL NON-ASIANS: never counter an asian's correction of what kind of ethnicity an asian person actually is with this statement, "Meh, you're all the same."
Very, very rude...and it can be really annoying. :) *sigh* my friends say this every now and then as a joke just to annoy me.

#30 Tighfield

Tighfield

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:48 AM

For me it's just not about the music, anime, etc. I enjoy watching or researching about ancient chinese/japanese culture. I have had the pleasure of spending a day with an Indonesian Grand Master (Shao Lin Do). We had dinner at his favorite Asian restrauant & he told us (us being me & other students) about his early childhood & how he came to America. Very fascinating stuff. We heard stories about Dogboy, who was left in the mountains by his parents because he was born with ... a lot of hair, like a dog. I've even seen a picture. When I look back on those moments, and I cherish them, I didn't just see Master Sin The (yes, that's his name) as just another Asian. I saw him as a great man with a lot of talent & a quirky sense of humor. I see people for who they are & not what color of their skin is, because skin color doesn't make me love/hate you more or less. I have also had the pleasure of dating a Chinese girl ... but I've already talked bout that. The thing is, it disturbs me when people laugh & crack jokes at me because I love the culture & willing to learn more. I'm not one of those people that just watch Dragonball Z/GT & say how cool it would be to date an Asian girl. I have dumb friends like that. I can literally sit down & watch the International Channel (when Asian News or anything else comes on) for hours & hours, even if I don't know what they are saying. I hope one day to visit either Japan or any other Asian country. Well, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users