66 replies to this topic

#61 nksj28

nksj28

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:12 AM

Asians have been getting more attention recently, but there have also been stereotypical beliefs about them, such as "All Asians are smart" or whatever. Now, those types of things are sort of superficial, but there are some things that Non-Asians tend to say about Asians that is a bit deeper. I also think that Asians are sort of under-represented in the media.
It's hard to explain how I feel about this issue, but perhaps it's because of my school. A fair percentage of my school (around 20% I think) is Asian. We had an Asian Night in December, but hardly any non-Asians came. And maybe it's because lots of Asians in my school are the ones who cut classes and smoke or whatever, but I think the "middle" Asians (the ones who are not really the "geniuses" of the school [the valedictorian and salutatorian of my school are Asians], but rather the ones who are more... typical?) seem to get a bad rep because of that. It just seems like Asians don't get their dues sometimes. That's my view, anyway.

#62 wazzap50

wazzap50

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:19 AM

I think most people arent really concerned about Asian culture. I think its mainly about manga, anime or whatever new technology that happens to appear from Japan. Honestly, I hope that asian culture does span in popularity, but I really dont see it happening. I go to a school thats about 51% asian so we out number everyone in our school, so I really cant relate to what nksj28 said about under-representation in the school. However, there are sterotypicals about us, mainly us being "smart" in every subject. If that were true, I wouldnt be chinese now would I?

#63 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:31 AM

I think its cool to have peopls interested in your culture. Back then,it used to be Japanese following American cultures,and now Americans are following Japanese cultures. Theres nothing wrong with it,some might be obssesed with it...but for most its just healthy curiousity.

#64 NamidaSasayaki

NamidaSasayaki

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

I used to be a "Japan Fan." That's why I have such a weird screen name, but as others have said, they've grown out of that. Now I'm more into the culture as a whole, what's acceptable~stuff like that.

I started at a new high school this year, and there are about 30 Koreans, and I hang out with them quite a bit. I get made fun, asked to write stuff in Chinese, and laughed at almost everyday. The Koreans think I'm great though. o_O;; They think it's so cool that I have CD's, movies, magazines, etc. in their language. I trade music with them all the time, and I have the opportunity to go to South Korea this summer with one of my best friends. ^^
The.....mean? popular kids, who totally hate me and all the Koreans for no apparent reason, have looked up vulgar Korean words~and they say them......incorrectly and daily like they're American curse words.

I don't think people are purposely biased, or racesist. I think it's society and it's idea that everyone should so radically conform to a certain look or attitude.

#65 VietForce

VietForce

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

asian are the most intelligent !
http://en.wikipedia....nd_intelligence Watch that ! :)

#66 vocaltalentz

vocaltalentz

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

Interesting topic, I personally like Asian fanatics, it's cool to have people liking your race. But then again, you don't want people to like you BECAUSE of your race...

Anyway, it's mostly Japan that's popular. Korea is only popular through BoA fans, because I know people who hates Korean culture but loves Japanese culture...

#67 Guest_Umbra Res_*

Guest_Umbra Res_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

asian are the most intelligent !
http://en.wikipedia....nd_intelligence Watch that ! :)

7) If you are going to discuss a news article, comment and provide some insight on it. Simply posting a link or copy/pasting the thread does not contribute to the Serious Discussions forum. If you are copy/pasting a news item, please place it in quote tags, or somehow make the text visually different from your commentary (i.e., smaller size, italics, etc.)

Did you read the rules before posting? Because that has nothing to do with Asian Fanatics and to why the asian culture is getting more popular. And I'm actually offended by that because all races have intelligence. I'm half asian,does that make me only half intelligent? No. Thats just degrading.

Interesting topic, I personally like Asian fanatics, it's cool to have people liking your race. But then again, you don't want people to like you BECAUSE of your race...

So true. Theres alot of people like that...and thats where Asian Fanatics go wrong. The people make the culture,but the culture is what matters when understanding the people.

Edited by Umbra Res, 12 February 2006 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users