97 replies to this topic

#1 keepsgettinbetter

keepsgettinbetter

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

her sales are terrible. idk whether her shows have been selling out or not though. what do you guys think? what can she/avex do to increase her popularity in japan?

#2 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Promotion, marketing and of course sometimes it feels like shes doing some stuff half-hearted

If they keep doing this, BoA will be gone, right now the only thing that helps her sales are only so-many-version-of-one-release, and its not good, she has some stellar songs like Only One, Message, Shout It out and MASAYUME CHASING, so its not about the right song, its about marketing and promotion and of course BoA herself

I always thought MASAYUME CHASING could help her to gain back her popularity, but its only used for i dont know, 10 eps for fairy tale opening, and the single was released 4 years after the hype was really high, I blame avex here

I feel like most of the song she got recently came from SM side or even BoA herself, she needs someone from avex too, its japan industry afterall,

We all know BoA is so talented, shes one of the best entertainer on earth for me (im being objective here), so please these people need to get their act together

Edited by BoAMyJewel, 04 January 2016 - 02:08 AM.

#3 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

Caddie In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:50 AM

That and I'd like to add that BoA's promotion in Japan is probably being downplayed because she's Korean. Japanese media has been cutting down on the amount of Korean celebs appearing on shows in recent years.

#4 karuno

karuno

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

i used to really worry about her sales and popularity (not only in Japan but also in general) compared to traditionally more "successful" artists but I still enjoy her new releases as I did years ago when I got into her so I don't mind as much. As long as she keeps releasing good music, then I'm happy as a fan. And I hope she's happy too ^^ And who knows, maybe she'll have a revival in her career. She's still somewhat young in her career overall.

#5 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

She doesn't appeal to younger or new fans. She's basically relying on the remaining 5-7k members of her fanclub that she had since the beginning of her career. Same problem in Korea (although on a much smaller scale). She's not earning new fans with her new releases and hasn't been since maybe 2007 (for Japan).

As for why she's not earning new fans, one explanation is that Japan is more focused on groups these days, rather than female solos. In addition to that, there are a bunch of other factors: BoA's TV performances, promotion, etc.

#6 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

Well, I don't care that much as we see fenomena like Ayumi Hamasaki flopping all over Japan like I never thought it'd happen. And she still gets a lot of promo, the opposite of BoA's treatment in Japan

#7 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

(Topic Title) Or rather, Why is BoA flopping in general: Dying fandom, and failure to gain new ones, mostly in part, as @BoAMyJewel mentioned, due to the lack of promotions. It's rather depressing being a part of a dying fandom.

BoA lacks promotions both in Japan and Korea. KML was a solid release, not amazing, but a solid release, yet it failed to make a long lasting impression. I'm 100% positive that if SNSD had released the same exact album, it would've topped charts. 

Idk if BoA can regain her career in Japan due a small and decreasing fanbase and anti-korean sentiment in Japan. But she has a chance in Korea, she just needs to release groundbreaking music, by seeking top notch producers. It seemed like BoA was dissatisfied herself w/ how poorly KML charted (stating the album was a failure while recording her stage for the weekly music show and going on a "healing trip" right after KML promos were over). Hopefully she changes up the formula for her 9th album. I hate that BoA is being underminded by the newer generation of k-pop fans and is being labeled as a hasbeen. 

#8 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Well, I don't care that much as we see fenomena like Ayumi Hamasaki flopping all over Japan like I never thought it'd happen. And she still gets a lot of promo, the opposite of BoA's treatment in Japan

I dont really follow her private life, but she starts flopping since her divorce, and its normal lol oh the party queen, its a good album though

i used to really worry about her sales and popularity (not only in Japan but also in general) compared to traditionally more "successful" artists but I still enjoy her new releases as I did years ago when I got into her so I don't mind as much. As long as she keeps releasing good music, then I'm happy as a fan. And I hope she's happy too ^^ And who knows, maybe she'll have a revival in her career. She's still somewhat young in her career overall.

The problem with this my friend, if she keeps releasing unpopular songs, (unless she writes by herself) the company wont give her good song OR even wont let release anything at all.

#9 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

If they don't promote BoA well, how would she even gain new fans? I agree about Masayume Chasing. It seems like Fairytale fans enjoyed it. She could've sold a lot of copies if they had released it at the right time.
I also think she goes back to Japan for her fan base there. Plus it's like easy money even if she doesn't sell that well.

#10 travoltajc

travoltajc

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

I see this as two reasons: BoA's direction as an "artist" and Market demand

I think at this time and age for BoA, it's about putting in how much effort for what kind of reward. She's worked so hard on singing and dancing for 15 years and she knows how it feels being the "No.1" already. It takes a ton of effort climbing to the top, and even harder to remain there. Eventually you get burnt out mentally or with your body (BoA has ankle problems). Why would she want to compete in a tough market when she can explore new areas? She already went to USA for music and films (which were a flop IMO). Or she can position herself as a "producing singer" and write more albums. Or she can act in more films (btw I really liked Waiting for Love). Maybe she'll produce and direct films one day. Or she can go back and appear in more TV shows like K-Pop Star and Hidden Singer. Or she'll raise more SM artists behind the scenes and make money off SM shares. Whatever it is, it's going to be a new direction for her as a more "complete" artist. When BoA gets involved in so many things, you can't compare to the other artists that specialize in one or two things, because BoA's time will be spread thin. Why is BoA doing this? There are many explanations up for debate. In my opinion, I think she cannot handle the workload of album and live concert productions anymore (both physically or mentally) so she finds a much happier life doing new things that require less effort. It's like jobs in most industries. At first you get the front line tough work for little pay, and eventually you want to become the manager with little work and more pay.

*On a side note, that's why I made a forum post urging everyone to go watch BoA's next live concert, because she'll eventually do less and less*

I recently went to Japan and it's amazing seeing what the music industry is like. I've never been to Japan and don't know anything about AKB48 but I still noticed AKB48 promotions everywhere. They're all over billboards, mega TVs at main intersections, street banners, music stores, department stores, background music... they even have street promotion girls handing out AKB48 stickers and calendars. I know it's their 10th anniversary and they had a recent CD, but that's just overkill. On top of that, because they literally have 100+ members (not sure as a part of AKB48 or part of their sister groups), the best looking/sexy ones are all over the "idol" sections of CD/book stores selling their posters, wallet cards, art books, magazines, DVDs, documentaries, key chains etc you name it. But guess what? It's these bunch of high school drop out girls that are topping the Oricon charts and sales. Teenagers are all over it. Middle-aged men are all over it. I heard from a friend, the main girls are promoted into AKB48 or demoted out to the sister groups on a regular basis, and it's decided partly by fan vote, in which the voting ballot can be found in their newest CD...well NO DUH they're selling a lot of CDs because all the Otakus are buying them in bunches to vote their favourite girl in. It's all about marketing and demand. Even local Japanese artists like Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki etc cannot compete, never mind a foreigner like BoA.

Be happy that we're still getting SOMETHING from BoA in Japan. If it wasn't for fan service or contract with Avex, she probably could've pull the plug and stop everything in Japan already. I don't think increasing her popularity in Japan is part of Avex/her agenda.

Edited by travoltajc, 05 January 2016 - 02:32 AM.

#11 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

^its not about being on top though, but to be recognized, yes we're all happy taht BoA is still releasing stuff but if her sales are keep going downhill, we might not get anything at all, or maybe bad material like airport de machiawase, FUN etc, (omg these songs).

They need to get their act together, BoA is talented af dont let it go to waste

Maybe pair her up with namie/ayu/kuu/KEN HIRAI and make a hit... Please

#12 sweetsora2

sweetsora2

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

Make me wonder too..why BoA rarely promote on tv.is it bcs SM/avex or she doesnt want to.

Actually How come she can gain new fans if she rarely make a comeback n appear on tv.i remember reading a comment abt her from knetz that "it's hard to like her" or smt like she's seems so cold n boring.WHY..bcs they don't know her much.they never see n discover the new side of BoA.the dorky BoA,cute BoA,funny BoA..we as a fans of course didn't mind to watch her old vid or fancam in youtube.but for general public,why should them?searching abt celebrities that they don't take interest to begin.that's why idol somehow rely on variety appearances.bcs it helps a lot for them to gain recognition n make them looks approachable n familiar in public.i don't ask her to appear on every variety n make everyone annoy.atleast 3 show for every comeback on popular tv show will be help.n she did good with her appearanced on 3MAD,TCOMR,n HS4.she got positive reaction.but the problem is..she guest on the show when she finished KML promotion.BoA also has a good image in korea no scandal n she's talented too.everyone think so in most comments i read.n she doesn't need to worry she got blacklash,she's smart n profesional she'll think bfr she said smt on tv.n from what i see whenever she appear on tv,everone will admire her more.n abt mean comment,it's common tho not only BoA got a mean comment from haters.other celebrities too got a mean comments.

N the other problem is..she take too much time to release new material.she comeback with new album for 3weeks n then disappear for 2 years.come on everyone will forgot abt her already except her fans.n it's not helping with her last album.seems like no one remember KML.when her rumor comeback appear on instiz,most of comments it's all about only one.that's quite disappointing.

n don't say she doesn't care abt the result bcs i'm sure she care.when WAY kill the chart she's happy n can sleep well she said so on interview.n abt KML she said smt like this " I hope it will make a good score on music charts, but please just enjoy the stage performance."
She hope a good results but she doesn't expect much.she know the song not public friendly.

Atleast she said herself that she "will try to reduce the interval between her albums. Next album can be released sooner than expected"
N she also said she'll promote more in Japan bcs of her 15th anniv.

I wish her the best for everything she do..i just hope she keep singing n active as an artist.BoA is soo talented n amazing performance i dont want her talent to go waste.

#13 keepsgettinbetter

keepsgettinbetter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

So many great replies, thanks for responding everyone! So the consensus seems to be that her music is fine, but she needs greater marketing/promotions to increase her profile. What kind of tactics do you think would work for BoA? She's had the usual anime/drama tie-ins but those haven't helped so much. Do we think those OTT AKB48 style promotions would work? How do you think BoA can reinvent herself to appeal to the Japanese public again?

#14 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

A collaboration might help, but it has to be relevant, like a ballad with Ken Hirai or a dance song with Namie Amuro.

And also, marketing, major one, not the unique ones that only draw 100 people (WHO'S BACK? era promotion was awesomely unique, but it only draws a little attention)(avex still owes us Message Orchestra remix lol).

She has to over promote the song, she has to appear everywhere,

She has to follow the trend.

Max Matsura should read BoA's fans opinions

But sadly it's not going to happen...

#15 travoltajc

travoltajc

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

How do you think BoA can reinvent herself to appeal to the Japanese public again?

But sadly it's not going to happen...

Agreed, it's not going to happen, because she needs to:

- Completely eliminate (or very limited) releases, appearances, productions in Korea (won't happen, because Korea is still her strongest fan base, and she's always homesick while in Japan)

- Stop joining SMTown tours (but I think she likes to go, as it gives her a sense of family)

- Stop going to TV shows like K-Pop singer, and appear in Japanese TV shows instead (but will she fit in and be accepted by the public?)

- Stop filming in Korea (but each new film she gets better and receives very positive reviews, and she seems to enjoy filming as it's brand new to her)

- Settle on some deal with Avex so she can be promoted everywhere (but will Avex do it with a high cost artist with a shorter "shelf life"? it's way cheaper to find new talent and test them out at little cost)

- If a performance involves paying BoA, BoA has to ask for less money so that she can compete with other upcoming (but cheap) artists

- Spend less time on music production and more on singing/dancing/promotion (this one she'll likely do, because she admitted that KML album was too much work for her)

- Finish it off with massive waves of concert tours ie. 2008 The Face Tour, 20 shows in Japan across 16 cities (but can her body handle it? will Avex take the risk?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users