98 replies to this topic

#16 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

I think pairing BoA up with Ayumi will be awkward. It will be obvious who's the better singer. And yes I know that I suggested a duet between them before. I just didn't realize about their voice differences until now.

@BoAMyJewel
Lol I told my Japanese friend that Party Queen wasn't a bad album and she looked at me funny.

Edited by YourSonnetMyLove, 05 January 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#17 Yennie

Yennie

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

I think BoA is flopping in general because there is nothing new or exciting about her at this point in time. What makes her marketable in the past is not very relevant today. When BoA first debuted, she was the in thing. People were excited over this 13-14 young girl who can perform well in the big leagues. She can sing and dance and she is the bridge between Korea and Japan musically, culturally and politically in some ways.  Hence, she was the pioneer of the Korean Wave. However, while BoA's initial branding becomes somewhat a legend today, it becomes somewhat boring and tiresome. It's like, "yeah, I know she can sing and dance, she's the pioneer and well-respected, so what's new?" There's nothing new for people to talk about her these days and hence, her career start to stagnate.

Not to mention, BoA has too clean of an image. This is a double edge sword. Some fans love her for that, others just find it boring. She has no scandal, no relationship to talk about, no interesting adventures that can hook an audience. It doesn't even need to be about scandals or gossips though. I think BoA should enhance the creativity of her music, the music videos that is unique, crazy and even controversial (in good ways).  Even live performance can be way more interesting too. The whole world knows BoA is excellent in performing live singing and dancing BUT that's old news. Think about lady gaga's theatrical performances, Pink's 2010 Ariel Fabric Grammy Performances etc. Performers nowadays cannot just be singing and dancing, unfortunately.

In short, its all about the branding. BoA needs to stop relying on her OLD brand and start creating a new one. :) 

#18 celbel

celbel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I think BoA is flopping in general because there is nothing new or exciting about her at this point in time. What makes her marketable in the past is not very relevant today. When BoA first debuted, she was the in thing. People were excited over this 13-14 young girl who can perform well in the big leagues. She can sing and dance and she is the bridge between Korea and Japan musically, culturally and politically in some ways. Hence, she was the pioneer of the Korean Wave. However, while BoA's initial branding becomes somewhat a legend today, it becomes somewhat boring and tiresome. It's like, "yeah, I know she can sing and dance, she's the pioneer and well-respected, so what's new?" There's nothing new for people to talk about her these days and hence, her career start to stagnate.

Not to mention, BoA has too clean of an image. This is a double edge sword. Some fans love her for that, others just find it boring. She has no scandal, no relationship to talk about, no interesting adventures that can hook an audience. It doesn't even need to be about scandals or gossips though. I think BoA should enhance the creativity of her music, the music videos that is unique, crazy and even controversial (in good ways). Even live performance can be way more interesting too. The whole world knows BoA is excellent in performing live singing and dancing BUT that's old news. Think about lady gaga's theatrical performances, Pink's 2010 Ariel Fabric Grammy Performances etc. Performers nowadays cannot just be singing and dancing, unfortunately.

In short, its all about the branding. BoA needs to stop relying on her OLD brand and start creating a new one. :)

This. Totally agree!

#19 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Why are you so repetitive and annoying?
13.gif

BoA is flopping since 2010 and you guys are still making topics about it

#20 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

I think pairing BoA up with Ayumi will be awkward. It will be obvious who's the better singer. And yes I know that I suggested a duet between them before. I just didn't realize about their voice differences until now.

@BoAMyJewel
Lol I told my Japanese friend that Party Queen wasn't a bad album and she looked at me funny.

Namie would be better yes, lol return road is great and some songs are not bad, but yes for her standard its like the beginning era of her flop eras.

But i still think a ballad with ayu is still possible, but namie is a better bet now because shes more popular

#21 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Why are you so repetitive and annoying?
13.gif

BoA is flopping since 2010 and you guys are still making topics about it

Because it's fun fun fun fun tonight

Edited by BoAMyJewel, 05 January 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#22 Angel X

Angel X

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

I think BoA is flopping in general because there is nothing new or exciting about her at this point in time. What makes her marketable in the past is not very relevant today. When BoA first debuted, she was the in thing. People were excited over this 13-14 young girl who can perform well in the big leagues. She can sing and dance and she is the bridge between Korea and Japan musically, culturally and politically in some ways.  Hence, she was the pioneer of the Korean Wave. However, while BoA's initial branding becomes somewhat a legend today, it becomes somewhat boring and tiresome. It's like, "yeah, I know she can sing and dance, she's the pioneer and well-respected, so what's new?" There's nothing new for people to talk about her these days and hence, her career start to stagnate.

Not to mention, BoA has too clean of an image. This is a double edge sword. Some fans love her for that, others just find it boring. She has no scandal, no relationship to talk about, no interesting adventures that can hook an audience. It doesn't even need to be about scandals or gossips though. I think BoA should enhance the creativity of her music, the music videos that is unique, crazy and even controversial (in good ways).  Even live performance can be way more interesting too. The whole world knows BoA is excellent in performing live singing and dancing BUT that's old news. Think about lady gaga's theatrical performances, Pink's 2010 Ariel Fabric Grammy Performances etc. Performers nowadays cannot just be singing and dancing, unfortunately.

Wow! I couldn't have said better. I totally agree with you

#23 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

Okay, we can close the topic and make Yennie the new BoA's carreer manager

#24 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

@rahe
There is nothing else to talk about on this forum. *shrugs* If only there was more news about her to talk about.

@BoAMyJewel
I find it weird that Namie has done a song with After School, an unknown group in Japan at the time while BoA and her still hadn't done anything together. I still like that Namie and AS song.

Edited by YourSonnetMyLove, 07 January 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#25 superlita

superlita

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

BoA has already attempted to re-brand herself, her KML album was an attempt to re-brand herself as a composer/writer. The comeback was entirely focused on her writing/compositions, hence the weak dance/lackluster performance. But the music wasn't received well.

#26 MOTOWAYohsixfive

MOTOWAYohsixfive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

^ Agreed. KML was also an attempt to rebrand herself as a mature, sexy woman, yet no one bought into it and saw her as trying too hard.

#27 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

I wish she could read this and see we're asking for eien part. 2 like in every topic haha

#28 celbel

celbel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

I wish she could read this and see we're asking for eien part. 2 like in every topic haha

Yes. Agreed. Something like Eien suits BoA best. It allows BoA to shine and show off her skills best. RnB-ish BoA ftw!

#29 Yennie

Yennie

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

I do think BoA can take more risk. To be honest, I always thought BoA's music is still rather good till today after being a fan since 2005. I love Message,  and absolutely adore Shout It out (love the MV) and Lookbook (though I don't particularly like First Time or Fly). KML album was rather enjoyable too. In fact, I think KML is the best song in the album as it's the most special and unique. However, most are still something that BoA has already done for her past 15 years of career. They just don't wow the audience like they used to because, in my opinion, people already know what she is capable of. It becomes like a routine, nothing refreshing. Her songs become un-distinguishable, or in other words, sound the same. Moreover, her performance style still remains the same all these years, which is singing and dancing live. Truthfully, after the 2008 concert with Bad Drive, Style, Sweet Impact etc, no one can ever doubt BoA's dancing and singing ability - female Michael Jackson. But it will be amazing to see BoA taking on a new skill new risk, be it playing the piano or aerobics etc that makes people go "wow, our Queen is dangerous, never thought she's capable of that too" I'm exaggerating but you get the idea. It gets people talking about her just like how her career revived when she shows her personality in the K-pop star. 

This doesn't only happen to BoA. It happens to all artists who has longevity in their career. Lady gaga was also struggling because her Art Pop album were said to be similar to her Born This Way and The Fame Monster album, and hence did not sell as well. Gaga even once said "people don't understand, it's hard to replicate the previous album success". And Gaga is only around for like 7 years, not to mention BoA who's around for 15 years. Then when Gaga and Tony Bennett came out with the Jazz album and Gaga performing musical theatre tribute to celebrate Julie Andrew's career in the Oscars, people start talking about her again, really wowing at her musical flexibility and new performance style.  It's similar when Madonna pushing boundaries with her Erotica Album.

And when I say re-branding, I meant also re-branding what she stands for as well. In the past she stands for the the bridge between Korea and Japan and the perhaps strong female empowerment. Maybe now she can stand for something else too that is relevant to today's context.  Just a thought. 

Anyway all these are just my opinion :)

#30 superlita

superlita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

^Female empowerment is still severely lacking in K-pop, I think she should emphasize on it more, a la "Girls On Top". 

"Jack of all trades, master of none". Rather than picking up a new skill, she should hone her current skills, i.e. her writing/composition skills and better herself in that field– as I mentioned in my previous post, by seeking out noteworthy producers to collab with.

Of her most recent work, "Only One" got the most traffic due to the choreo, which is one of the better and more challenging choreo that she's done in the past 5 years. People still recognize BoA as a phemonal dancer, 26 million views is a testimony in itself that people aren't tired of BoA's dancing. Pop music is all about visuals, "Only One" is a good song on it's own, but the music video and choreo helped garner attention leading to 2 million downloads of the song. 

In terms of dancing, BoA hasn't tried it all, and I would love to see her work w/ some phenomenal choreographers in the future. She's strayed from her image as a powerful singer-dancer, and needs to go back to it– but a newer and better version with revamped risk-taking music.

IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users