#31 travoltajc

travoltajc

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

Agree with the above.

But don't forget the Identity album in 2010. That was already the beginning of her transformation (and decline in Japan), going from the pure/clean goddess image to the R&B strong dancing queen image. Then came Eat You Up, Energetic etc. How was she not "trying something new" or "re-branding herself as an Asian-American bridge" or "taking risks"? In fact it was too huge of a risk spending the time in USA, which backfired her popularity in Asia because her time was spread too thin in too many places.

Counting back, this girl tried SO hard in the last 5 years trying to build on top of her own success: Identity and Eat You Up (R&B and a bad-girl feel), The Live Xmas 2010 ("Broadway musical" style concert), Only One (lyrical hip-hop), KML album (composer), KML (sexyness), K-Pop Star (display of her music knowledge and personality), Make Your Move (acting and ballroom dancing), Waiting for Love (acting), Clockwork at NOWNESS (Tango dancing OMG). The problem was once again bad marketing/branding along the way and lack of focus in one geographical area (which made it impossible to penetrate into mainstream market and made her easily forgotten). Aside from die-hard fans like you and I on this forum, most people nowadays don't respect artists for being multi-talented. Everyone just wants "fast-food": Give me the hottest group, the sexiest dancer, the crazy and bold performances that create headlines...and then when I'm bored of it after a year, give me someone new.

I think her current direction is correct. Focus in Korea (with all kinds of multi-talent), show up periodically in Japan just to please the SOUL fans, and unplug everything in America.

Edited by travoltajc, 08 January 2016 - 02:09 AM.

#32 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

^the main focus of this thread is keeping BoA in Japan, dont try to steal her away from Japan T.T

Although yes, your post is about being realistic and accepting the fact taht its really difficult to put her back on track

Edited by BoAMyJewel, 08 January 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#33 sweetsora2

sweetsora2

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

I think it's time for BoA to focus on promotion either in korea or japan.i don't want her to be forgotten in korea or japan.

N makes me wonder..will BoA promote to china too??bcs SM seems more interest with chinese market now..
They trying to hard right now.

#34 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:22 AM

^please don't

#35 BoA_rocks_in_english

BoA_rocks_in_english

The Unbiased BoA Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

Honestly i think it's time to completely leave Japan, she's already made her mark there. She should be trying new markets so she can experiment a bit more and not be held back by the old BoA persona. Personally speaking I'd prefer she take a 2/3 year break in the USA and Europe, maybe focus on English and her songwriting some more, travel and come back strong.

Also just say no to China...SM pushed her into that years ago and it failed big time.

Edited by BoA_rocks_in_english, 08 January 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#36 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:20 AM

Well, I always saw BoA as I see Shakira (may be my latin american background), born in Colombia, started in Colombia, was really successful in America, what catapulted her to the rest of the world. Her greatest advantage, IMO, is that Spanish language is not only spoken in Spain or in Colombia, but all over South America, Spain, some places in Asia, and she sings and speaks in English too (does accent matter? I don't think so, cause she has a strong Latin accent until today and I haven't seen no one complaining about it. Her English is perfectly understandable, but her accent is very noticeable), what just makes more market for her. But that's it: she sings in Spanish, English, speaks French, Portuguese and Arabic (and has sung songs in those languages too), she writes her songs, her dance is unique, for some (don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Shakira) etc, but she had her glory days just like everyone else in the industry. I guess the difference between Shakira and BoA is one of markets and marketing: BoA made big in the most profitable market in Asia, which is pretty irrelevant to the Western world, while Shakira went to the most profitable market in the world and one that everybody keeps both eyes in. But I'd she was to survive with only the sales from Colombia and USA (as BoA has to with Korea and Japan) I don't think she would be as relevant as she is, cause people respect her, sing her old songs, but only fans stick to her newer things (even though she releases one or two successful single each album). There isn't much of reinventing now, it's focusing on her strong abilities and that's it.

Edited by Baco__, 08 January 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#37 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

Caddie In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

I can't write much here because it's horrible writing long posts on mobile devices and my computer's broken so all I'll say is I agree with everything! lol

There's one thing I'm worried about though and that's whether BoA cares all that much about this stuff? She has had to do this, that and the other for her career for years but now I think she just wants to do whatever she wants for herself.

Edited by ShiroiChanUK, 08 January 2016 - 05:56 AM.

#38 keepsgettinbetter

keepsgettinbetter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

Your responses are so interesting guys! I explored this topic in an article on my website.

#39 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

@rahe
There is nothing else to talk about on this forum. *shrugs* If only there was more news about her to talk about.
@BoAMyJewel
I find it weird that Namie has done a song with After School, an unknown group in Japan at the time while BoA and her still hadn't done anything together. I still like that Namie and AS song.

She's have been writing and composing her own stuff (7/12 of KML are 100% written and composed by BoA). BoA slays live performances and always tours with a good live band. Oh, and her vocals are improving too!
but let's make a topic talking about her decline in the sales because we have nothing to talk about lol Sales are important but this topic is useless because she did not release anything.

BoA is an incredible artist but it seems that her own fans are forgetting it.

#40 moonrabbit

moonrabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

No artists, even BoA, will be immune to criticism. Furthermore, none of her fans are even saying bad things about her. Having a decline is natural for any popular artist and having a discussion about it isn't a way of saying "You suck, BoA" So chillax already.
By the way, I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying.

Edited by YourSonnetMyLove, 08 January 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#41 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

Caddie In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

We're not forgetting it, Korea and K-pop fans just don't care for quality soloists anymore. It's all about groups these days, much like in Japan where the idol industry was all but dead for years but was revived by AKB back in 2009. I see it all the time on AKP Forums and OH, it's always groups, groups, groups and when soloists do get attention their either group members taking on solo activities or IU.

K-pop is very much a trend to the newer generation of fans, they really do go from bias to bias. If it's new it's cool and old stars are just "has been's." It annoys me to no end.

#42 rahe

rahe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

@ShiroiChanUK Okay but K-pop fans aren't on BoAJjang.

@YouSonnetMyLove
But it's repetitive and annoying.

#43 sweetsora2

sweetsora2

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

@ ShiroiChanUK agree..maybe bcs most of kpop fans right now are high school kids.it's natural for them to follow someone who close to their ages.also the veteran artist like BoA is rarely promote,how come they'll realized BoA is still active or not.
Tbh..the other reasons new kpop fans know BoA are.only one couple dances (when most of peoples agree this song is golden n the dances is awesome,u can't deny the fact that BoA dances with oppas help her to get attention too)disturbance (not only bcs taemin,the new concept of mv is interesting n new fans seems really like this song) she's in SM (being SM artist is help u to get attention too,bcs u under the same company with this n that.look what happened to RV)

And i do realized too..BoA has a bad timing whenever she made a comeback.
Only one - psy
KML - big bang

Actually no one forget how incredible n talented BoA.i always thought BoA is so much better than those girl group member whose such a try hard n strip to get an attention or popular.
BoA can sing,dances,writing n composed music,producer (kpop star).
I think we just concern n quite worry abt her that's it n also there's nothing to talk abt here..don't want this forum to be dead tbh.

Edited by sweetsora2, 08 January 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#44 Baco__

Baco__

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

Well, @rahe, as much as I agree with you on the "we talk a lot about her decline and sales flop" topic, it's not like she hasn't released anything. She has just released a new single in Japan and that's what started this very topic, I guess.

We already discussed how awesome she was composing and writing KML (which is my favorite album of her carreer) when the time was the KML album release. Now the time is to reflect why she isn't selling well even though lookbook is far from being a bad single.

#45 BoAMyJewel

BoAMyJewel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Lol not to mention Eat You Up - The rising of lady gaga -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users