97 replies to this topic

#46 iDenntity

iDenntity

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Your responses are so interesting guys! I explored this topic in an article on my website.

Thank you for this article. I think it puts BoA's career into the right perspective. She has all the control she wants, so its what she wants to do with it!

I am up for whatever she wants to do at this point. She's done so much for us and if she wants to release new music, then I will support her. If she wants to star in a drama then I will support her. If she wants to take a break and maybe retire, then I will still support her

#47 wwteng

wwteng

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:59 AM

I on the other hand hope she will get married soon......She is a nice woman

#48 *-::Kwon Brian::-*

*-::Kwon Brian::-*

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:53 AM

Oh well, she is flopping in Korea too :))

Just look at Gaon chart for album 2015, she couldn't even make in top 100.

On Hanteo chart, the album listed on spot 99 with 11,129 copies sold. 

This is really really sad !!! I'm really really upset with this result !!!

#49 abcfsk

abcfsk

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

She isn't floppign neither there nor in Korea. She's simply not in the top tier of artists with commercial peak powers anymore. Even though it's her 15th, 16th year she is however selling numbers most artists would be jealous of, touring live and doing what she wants. It's a very typical phase for a 'legend' artist who's not the newest craze anymore but still has both a core fanbase and a solid mainstream presence. And remember 'Who Are You' outsold any song by f(x) digitally this year, even though f(x) is the 'hot poop' among many youth right now. 

#50 hinachan

hinachan

I miss my mom so much....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Her downfall began when she was allegedly caught by paparazzi, kissing one of her dancers who was married. That marred her image (which is all-important in Japan).

Also, the Japanese are notoriously fickle, despite a few acts that have had long-lived popularity. Combined with the reduced focus on Korean stars, this means that the younger fans are looking for the next new thing from Korea, not an artist who was famous among their older siblings.

The final nail in the coffin was when, after all these years, she gave in and had plastic surgery done. When the "Shout It Out" video came out, all people were talking about was how weird BoA looked...which is bound to happen when you have half your jaw carved off, and ruin a perfectly good nose. The Japanese may have eye surgery done, but they're just not as insane as the Koreans with plastic surgery. So the Japanese viewed that much as we Americans viewed Michael Jackson's surgery--with abject horror.

Finally, she has become (publicly, anyway) a lot colder, repressing the fun personality that made her so popular. She probably thinks it makes her seem more mature, but it just makes her inaccessible.

She's done some wonderful songs lately (like Lookbook), but what pushes fandom is image, that mysterious quality which makes people able to relate to you. Part of BoA's image has been ruined by things she can't control (the advent of groups, the fact she's Korean, etc.), the rest ruined by things she could control (the dancer scandal, repressing her personality).

At this point, I'm not sure how (or if) she could reinvent herself. :(

#51 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

Responses under "spoiler" because this post ended up being really long.

@Rahe
Spoiler

@sweetsora2
Spoiler

@sweetsora2 & @BoAMyJewel
Spoiler

@iDenntity
Spoiler

@hinachan
Spoiler

Edited by ShiroiChanUK, 06 February 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#52 vartan

vartan

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

notwithstanding all the factors that had been contributed in this thread, i personally think that most of her fans just simply grew out of her music as they age. 

#53 2boamystar

2boamystar

Always be BoA's fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

I grew up with her music. I like her past songs as well as more mature songs nowadays. I did not grow out of her music :)

#54 vartan

vartan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:22 AM

well. i grew up with her music as well and to be honest, im kinda grew out of her music selection.

i been buying her album and singles since i had started to collect them so many years ago. it hard for me to stop.

#55 Angel X

Angel X

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:39 AM

I grew up with BoA's music too. It was the soundtrack of my teen-age years.

Heck, she even was my motivation to start learning Japanese, and I'm forever grateful for that !

I've been quite pleased with her music throughout the years and I hope she continues to make music.

Back to topic: Make Me Complete did well on the digital charts (Top 10 with an ENGLISH song). This shows that she still has the potentiel to release hit songs if it's done right (quality song, good tie-in & promotional activities like Tv performances)

Edited by Angel X, 07 February 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#56 bakal3xs

bakal3xs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:36 AM

You mean make me complete? Make your move is the movie haha

#57 Angel X

Angel X

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

^Oups! Fixed it :P

#58 *-::Kwon Brian::-*

*-::Kwon Brian::-*

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:19 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can post the chart for Make Me Complete hahahaha

#59 a_chan

a_chan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

The biggest problem in my opinion is lack of publicity. The last bit of big news here about BoA was her American debut and the general population seem to think she's still there.

BoA's former casual fans don't even know she's been releasing in Japan. If BoA wants to improve her sales in Japan she needs to re-establish her presence here.

She can do it. Everyone 20 years old and above knows who she is. But she needs to put in the work, which means long promotional cycles and multiple TV appearances. She's become a pretty decent actress too so she could probably land a role on a drama.

But if she's happy with how things are right now then it doesn't really matter.

#60 ShiroiChanUK

ShiroiChanUK

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

I don't think BoA would be able to appear on many TV music shows because of the cut back on Korean singers promoting on TV in Japan but I think she could do what is in my opinion the next best thing and perform in public. By this I mean mini lives in shopping centres and/or in city centres and such. She could probably promote more on radio too, there's no cut back on radio promotion right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users