#1 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Hello---....
Watching the news these days, i see many news about the dispute between Japan and Korea over an Island. (some of you alreayd may know, the book stuff..)
And also a Demo in China (i'm not sure what that was specifically over about..), demonstrator's saying stuff's like "BOYCOTT JAPANESE PRODUCT" (ehem.....wonder how many Japanese products they are using at home??...their the one's who's gonna make a lose out of it....lol).

Personally, i do think that what Japan did about putting the island as part of their country in their school books, and i understand the demonstration currently occuring in some Korean places. However, i think that it is getting abit TOO historic.....i saw some of them burning Japan's flag.....(man...what is this...where in the 20th century)

Also, in China, i feel that the Chinese government has many problem's telling the country about what's has been really going on in the world (ie: School, Media).
I see many of the demonstrator's do not know the fact that Japan is sorry, and has and is stil contributing lots of money to China (and Korea) to reuild their country aftr all the things that has happened in the past, and they do not know this because they do not tell this at school......(all the dark side about Japan....)

I just want to say one thing, i see those countries doing demo's towards Japan...but do you see Japan doing demo's towards AMERICA regarding the bombing of Hiroshima and other stuff which they have done to Japan?

Anyways, enough from me, please give me your comment's

*NO RACIAL COMMENTS, i just want to discuss this issue, and what you guys think of it

Edited by saru, 16 April 2005 - 07:21 PM.

#2 krjeami

krjeami

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hello---....
Watching the news these days, i see many news about the dispute between Japan and Korea over an Island. (some of you alreayd may know, the book stuff..)
And also a Demo in China (i'm not sure what that was specifically over about..), demonstrator's saying stuff's like "BOYCOTT JAPANESE PRODUCT" (ehem.....wonder how many Japanese products they are using at home??...their the one's who's gonna make a lose out of it....lol).

Personally, i do think that what Japan did about putting the island as part of their country in their school books, and i understand the demonstration currently occuring in some Korean places. However, i think that it is getting abit TOO historic.....i saw some of them burning Japan's flag.....(man...what is this...where in the 20th century)

Also, in China, i feel that the Chinese government has many problem's telling the country about what's has been really going on in the world (ie: School, Media).
I see many of the demonstrator's do not know the fact that Japan is sorry, and has and is stil contributing lots of money to China (and Korea) to reuild their country aftr all the things that has happened in the past, and they do not know this because they do not tell this at school......(all the dark side about Japan....)

I just want to say one thing, i see those countries doing demo's towards Japan...but do you see Japan doing demo's towards AMERICA regarding the bombing of Hiroshima and other stuff which they have done to Japan?

Anyways, enough from me, please give me your comment's (negative/positive,lol)

*NO RACIAL COMMENTS, i just want to discuss this issue, and what you guys think of it

View Post

You know, I'm actually pretty sure that the Chinese mostly rely on their own products, so I don't believe a boycott would give China as hard of a blow as you seem to think.
Anyway, regarding the islets, you have to try and look at it from a neutral perspective. Korea has owned and funded the islets since anyone can remember. The US and France have dug out old maps (some even from the 12th century), clearly showing that the islets are Korean. And, right around the same time scientists discover the islets as a potential oil resource, Japan suddenly claims them. How does that work?
The islets in question are very close to an island called Ulleung-do, which is inhabited by several Koreans. The Koreans rely on the fishing waters around the islets, and have for years. How is it that the Japanese can suddenly try to take their lives (figuratively speaking) away?
The Japanese have tried to lay claim on these islets twice in the past. Each time, Japan had given in and agreed that the islets were Korean. How does that make them Japanese? Yeah, it doesn't make sense. 2005 was Korea-Japan Friendship Year, and it was going considerably well. That is, until Japan decided to screw it all up.

Oh, and about the Japanese textbooks, think about it as if someone began spreading a bunch of lies about you (or began claiming your things) in order to make themself look better. Wouldn't that get you pissed? Japan is completely aware that their textbooks contain distortions of Korean history, yet decided to use them anyway. You know, they also use textbooks with Chinese historical distortions, and they are completely aware of it.
Korea was actually doing pretty well, as far as letting the anti-Japanese feelings settle. However, Japan's unfair behavior and blatant lying has provoked the anti-Japanese sentiment resulting from the imperial Japanese occupation of Korea. Yes, there is flag burning and rallies, even in the USA. No, I wouldn't call this "too historic." Your people weren't tortured and ruined under imperial rule. Your people's islets aren't being claimed by the same nation. Your people's history isn't being distorted in that same nation's school textbooks. I can see why it's difficult for you to grasp why so much commotion is occuring over this situation.
Oh, and this is the 21st century. Definitely not the 20th.

Yes, I do hear the anti-Japanese sentiment in China is through the roof. In fact, I heard that the Chinese are raised hating Japan, and some don't even know why. They just know that they hate Japan. I don't think it's that they're actually being shielded from the reality of this world.
How do you know that Japan is sorry? Has Japan bothered to apologize? No sir. Has Japan bothered to apologize to any of the countries that suffered under their imperial rule? Most definitely not. Japan agreed to compensate Korea for the atrocities committed in their occupation. Has Japan bothered doing so? Nope. The subject has been brought up several times by Korea, and yet Japan seems to intentionally push it to the side.
If you're going to complain about Chinese historical distortions, well, don't. I would say that Japanese historical distortions are in need of more attention. They basically completely white-wash Japan's history. :lol: The Japanese are taught only the good side of Japan, in contrast to what you are saying is happening in China.

The difference with the nuclear bombings in Japan is that America and Japan were at war. Japan attacked America. Japan was the enemy and the Americans had to do what they had to do. I bet that if America had bombed Japan for no reason whatsoever, they would have apologized and compensated victims at the least. Something Japan has yet to do.

It's funny, really. Japan wants to become a permanent member of the UN Security Council and expects Asia's support. I believe basically all of Asia is against it. They believe that Japan cannot be given such a large amount of responsibility, if they can't even suck up to their past actions and take responsibility for them.

#3 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:52 AM

Hm, reading your comments, their were some parts which i didn't know (learned something).
Well, i don't live in Japan (well...born in Ausrtralia) and never actually read the books, so i don't know how much details about the island and other historical events is on it, but hearing your say, guess things on the book are unfair.(well, it'd be funny to say "unfair"...).

And yes, the relations has been screwed up "SINCE" Japan's primeminister has changed to KOIZUMI......who has kinda screwed up everything since the visit to "Yasukuni JInja"....you know.

The difference with the nuclear bombings in Japan is that America and Japan were at war. Japan attacked America. Japan was the enemy and the Americans had to do what they had to do. I bet that if America had bombed Japan for no reason whatsoever, they would have apologized and compensated victims at the least. Something Japan has yet to do.

I don't think America has "compensated" nor "apologized" to Japan..

I do know that the Japanese GOVERNMENT is been an ass, but i am angry atat is that why those ppl from China and Korea blames normal civilians, such as the bashing of a Japanese "student" in China, and the reason just becoz he was a Japanese......what did we do? it should be the Japanese government to blame, not those normal people. and also everytime one of the Asian countries such as China and korea (well, North Korea the MOST) tries to use the FACT about what happened in the past to try and gain and grab something out of Japan. (ie: Money, Food...etc) (soz if i'm outta topic,lol) I don't see they really really care about the past (government), but only looks at gaining something out of it. (NORTH KOREA)

Anyways, idf i talk on, i'd just confuse my self :lol:
All i can hope is that our relations would not stuff up, and that'sall i can say coz i can't do anything about it.

PS: mind you(everyone), i do respect the history of what's happened in the past.
I have both close Korean and Chinese friends, and i think its great :D

Edited by saru, 15 April 2005 - 01:54 AM.

#4 celebear

celebear

I have gf despite bj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:22 AM

Second world war is really hard thing for many countries, especially those who were on the losing side (Germany and Japan). I don't know what they wrote in the history books but I can understand why ppl are reacting so strongly to it. On the other hand maybe we really should let it go after 60 years of shame? Of course it's important to know those bad things ppl did during the war but is it really necessary to blaim whole country of thing that happened so long ago.

And yeah, it's the fact that it was Japan who attacked US in the first place.

When it comes to UN security council I think the whole institution should be done differently. Current permanent members were choosed because they won the second world war, not because of they are the biggest countries. Japan, Germany, India and prolly Brazilia should be permanent members in that account. The bigger problem though is that UN security council's permanent members can stop all desicions they want with veto. So the whole international community may be halted because of some irrelevant things. That's what happened in Kosovo for instance when China used veto.

#5 anime811

anime811

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:57 PM

hrm well i think that japan is at fault here but people really shouldnt be blaiming the citizens when its the government who decided this action and by the way im talkin about the history incident. i think that they shouldnt take anything out of the history books of japan as the new generation would not kno wat happnede im not blaimin japan but the government
but burning japanese flags ?!?! uh thats kinda .....weird to me

#6 babydragon

babydragon

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

krjeami did facts about Korea now I'm doing China.

I do History at school and about WW2. I read about what the Japanese did when they invaded China, I'm chinese and furious with outrage....but only at the Japan's Idiotic government.
The History Book never mention a word of which the Japanese did during China, which my history teachers says "Its to make them look superior" I basically think there is something seriously wrong with that Historian who wrote that History book.
During the invasion China suffered a lot, these are some of the things that were listed in British News about this incident:
-Pregnant Chinese Woman had their baby cut out of their bodies by Japanese soldiers
-Forced postitution for Soldiers
-Used Villages to test Chemical Weapons
-Used Chinese people to practice their Samurai skills
-Used Chinese people as shooting targets
And Etc, cos the listed went on.
These things were done, but that is history because then was because of the League of Nation's fault (Created by America....Woodrow Wilson), because they never took Japan seriously which made the Japanese people think Democracy is not going to work, which meant Dictorship had a good chance of saying Democracy won't work.
The Protest was because Japan never admitted wrong. And faced up to the facts that they were.

Even though i have many issues about China i don't like, but this time i do think that they are right with Korea.

If we are blaming Japan now, full of hatred......What about when the Japanese students finished studying History? They might become to Hate Chinese people and Koreans due to these, So I say this book to be re-written telling the truth cos its the past it won't harm no one. :thumbsup:

I can't rarely remeber but about the Nuclear bomb in Japan is because Japanese bombed Americans first at Pearl Harbour without notifiying them first, because when you are about the attack you have to declare war first. Its something like that, and they used Japan as a example to scare Russia.....about the strong powers of America and that they have a Nuclear weapons....It somthing along these lines...but i can't quite remember.... :notworthy:

Edited by babydragon, 15 April 2005 - 03:29 PM.

#7 BoAFriend

BoAFriend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

LOL I just realized something...this past week at school, these two friends, who one is Japanese and one is Korean have been jokingly calling each other "Jap" and "Korean", talking about something I didn't understand.

Finally now I realize that they were doing that because of this island dispute!

Anyways, I think this island occupation thing is going to be painful for Koreans because it will remind them of the horrors of the wars between Korean and Japan. Because of this, lots of hostility will be mixed in with this whole thing. I hope Korea and Japan end this peacefully with a treaty or something.

Also, just in reference to the WW2 between China and Japan (I'm Chinese...Taiwanese...kinda the same)....my parents and grandparents take this issue extremely sensitive and sometimes I am scolded for being so into Japan and its culture. My mom has told me that "Japan was our enemy, so you shouldn't like them so much." When I told her once that I really wanted to learn Japanese, she got really quiet and didn't say anything. My mom has advised me to keep my J-POP stuff away from my grandpa when I visit him in Taiwan because he will disown and shame me.

Sometimes I just wish people, especially family from the older generations could try to let the whole WW2 crisis go by. Maybe it's because I am from this generation, not the ones in the past so I don't understand, but I just wish for some peace.

This is one of many reasons why I like BoA....it's because she is, believe it or not, uniting some Koreans and Japanese through her music, and is working to spread her music into China and Taiwan. She's kind of healing the scars of the past by uniting nations through her popular music.

Ok and something shocking and nerve-twitching my old housekeeper told me before (I was really close to her): She was born in China and went through WW2. She said the Japanese cruely kicked her family out of their home and burned it down and took tons of innocent people and killed them. She recalled a horrid thing: The Japanese used very thin bamboo shoots and jabbed the fingernails off some of the Chinese and forced their hands into hot, salt bioled water. I wince and chills run through my body whenever I just tyr to imagine the pain.

Edited by BoAFriend, 15 April 2005 - 04:48 PM.

#8 BoA* Shine!

BoA* Shine!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

About bashing citizens and such, it's comes from there nationlaism(I guess that's what I should say) feelings. It's not ALL the country's ppl who are to blame but that's just how humans are(not saying everyone is of course ^^).
It's just like during the world cup when Korea beat Italy, Italians were hitting Koreans in Italy for their defeat.

I don't kno much about Dokdo(the Island) but thx to krjeami for the facts ^^.

Some feelings are just jealousy. Like one time, I forgot which 2 countries but one country gained something and the other said bad stuff out of jealousy and such.

I'm sorry I'm not of much help ^^
I just said what my opinion is on the bashing and stuff.
Maybe I shouldn't have posted ^^!

Just like what BoAFriend said. My family too has disagreed on my interests in the Japanese culture(I'm Korean).

I do wish ppl weren't like this.
I always wished that since Japane, China, and Korea are Asians, the 3 countries should be like best friends and always help each other but I don't think that can happen. From seeing what happened in the past(like Europe and WWI and WWII) some countries were allies but then became enemies in another war and stuff.

Edited by BoA* Shine!, 15 April 2005 - 05:00 PM.

#9 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

Pregnant Chinese Woman had their baby cut out of their bodies by Japanese soldiers
-Forced postitution for Soldiers
-Used Villages to test Chemical Weapons
-Used Chinese people to practice their Samurai skills
-Used Chinese people as shooting targets

yeh, my father told me all about that. Really horrible.....
I dunno much about the UN Security Council stuf going on at the moment(?), i shall go and look for some articles. :D

Yup, as celebear said, we shouldn't never forget about what hapenned before, and Japan and other countries has got to work together and be honoust to try and not bring these kind of issues back up again.

hehe, all my friends call me Jap and stuff, but i know they don't even know what's the deep background meaning is, so i don't really care(lol).....perhaps they should do Asian History.. :thumbsup:

Perhaps...............we should have another WorldCup? :D

Like is said before, it's all gone wrong since Koizumi (Japan's current P.M) became an PM, and i blame him.

Edited by saru, 15 April 2005 - 05:11 PM.

#10 xKawaiixSecretsx

xKawaiixSecretsx

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:19 AM

Right now, it seems that most of China (excluding Beijing) are rallying against Japan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7514819/

With quotes such as 'Get Japanese pigs out', it seems to me like the racism in the world is just getting stronger and stronger with each passing moment. =(

#11 anime811

anime811

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:51 AM

o my >.< i hope this dispute doesnt get any worse then a argument i hope they dont break into a fight >.<

jus like shine and boafriend my parents dont like me liking japanese stuff . they are really nagging at me now >.< i talked bak sayin that its only the government that decided that not the people " but then ya i got in big trouble>.<

i also think that the japan is wrong for changing there history books but china doesnt have to make such racist comments

also my parents have told me that they had starved the canadian prisonners and i was watching this thing on tv and it showed pictures of actual people who looked like skeletons it was a horrible sight >.< i can understand sortof how the chinese people must think and the koreans . war always leaves scars in countries relationships

Edited by anime811, 16 April 2005 - 06:54 AM.

#12 foreverdancer

foreverdancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

You have to understand it is a very complicated situation for the Chinese/Koreans and their dispute between Japan. Yes the burning of the flags is a bit overboard but people do irrational things when their pride and national affairs are at stake. This is not a childish matter and I do not think the Chinese or the Koreans are acting very selfish. The target of whose to blame has shifted from the Japanese government to the citizens, however if you read the news and do your research it shows clearly that the Japanese citizens have expressed their hate for the Koreans and the Chinese and vice versa. Also it is very wrong of Japan to claim these Korean islets are theirs when clearly there is proof that it is Korea's.

This is a very difficult situation and only time will tell how this can or if it will ever be resolved. Remember that the Chinese and the Koreans have gone through so much pain and suffering in the past from the Japanese Imperialism, even if it was many years ago.

#13 Mikenyhk

Mikenyhk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

the past is the past... yes the World War II was brutal...and millions of people died.. jews,,chinese,,americans..germans..russians..etc etc..
I'm chinese... i used to hate the japanese..then.. i realized..we are using their products..playing their games..listening to their music...tvs from them.. if we're sooo patriots.. we should never use n have anything to do with them..
or just send an army to revenge.. since CHINA.. didnt do anything the last 40-50 years.. just leave it as a history..
**Between korea & Japan over an island.. i know japanese tend to write their "own" history n teaches their children about this n that.. they did that about WWII too.. they think they did the "right" thing n Americans were the evil ones~
**China n Japan issues again.. over an United Nation spot for the Japs.. I dont freakin care .. as long as ppl are not killing each other.. n peace is here!~

#14 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

it shows clearly that the Japanese citizens have expressed their hate for the Koreans and the Chinese and vice versa

Guess their are "always" people who don't really understand....(in all countries..)
Not all Japanese are like that, some understands, and some don't (like these ones on your quote).
Same as Korea & China, some people may think it not too seriously, some do (as shown in the demo)

In every country, no matter if your from JApan, Korea, China....etc, their are good people, i don't like the stereotypical attitude of those other countries towards Japan, that every Japanese should be punished.

#15 babydragon

babydragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:37 PM

Argh. Chinese self centered and selfish bums....Yes very...I know even tho I'm chinese thats how they are, selfish and greedy. Like the SARs case, didn't bother to tell the world about it until it got outta hand cos they didn't wanna lose face. It many the older generations holding on to these painful memories and wanting revenge, younger generation like many chinese here don't we like our multi-cultural lifestyle....These older generations should be taught to Foget and Forgive....I say there something wrong with that Japanese Historian and show be taken to court with to sort this unesscary racial arguments! People are taking this to seriously. It not like after the students doing history would stop listening to BoA just because she from South Korea, they won't care.

People should face it, it was done and dusted. Face it I got over it, how long are they gonna rally over?! They just want press...Rally all they want its not like Japan to change anything. They should be friends so the East will have better life living together, instead of making it difficult to live next to each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users