Photo

Why do u believe in god or why dont u?(Christian)

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#16 cosmic_avian

cosmic_avian

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

Im not a believer of any religion BUT I studied them for curiousity... i dont want to be ignorant...I do take the good out of all these religion...they kinda influenced me ..

there are few main reasons y ppl believe in GOD.. they just cant see this world without one..who created humans...it cant be bacteria transforming..cant be..they wont believe...

I'm not saying religion is wrong but if you believe it.. u might be right...or there are much more to this world than what we know...

not all people that believe in God can't accept the world around them without having a higher deity as the cause...

for example...there are some that just find that their life is more anchored to something and they can live their life that path...it's better than wandering around not knowing what you want to do in life...

Edited by cosmic_avian, 18 April 2005 - 01:48 PM.

#17 cybermiko

cybermiko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:19 PM

Wow this is a really controversial subject and I'm happy BJers can discuss it maturely. I mean some people have wars because of these topics, but that's a whole 'other story.

Anyway back to the topic. I too at one point in my life questioned why I went to church, however I still go. Why? Because the Bible (in a general sense) is basically filled with parables teaching people to doing good and g-d. Like Ace said the bible isn't supposed to be taken literally. For example everything about g-d and Jesus could be a big parable that some drunkard made up 2000 years ago. However I still follow 'the way of g-d' because of what it offers me and others. Christianity like any other religion teaches good principles to its followers which in turn is very fulfilling for me and helping to humanity in general.

I guess I’m trying to say you shouldn’t sweat the small stuff (only religious extremists do) and look at the whole picture; you're entitled to your own interpretation of whatever to fulfill your spiritual needs.

#18 cosmic_avian

cosmic_avian

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

i don't think "God" is a censored term ^_^...

extremists are annoying...take a look at this opinion:

It's always the extremists that always get the media attention...the fuss, drama, etc. Religion is a personal decision...you have no right to infringe on it. And because of these...media representations of Christians, Muslims, Atheists, etc...we always get into arguments and we end up discriminating each other, having biased thoughts and what not. Sometimes, we'll do whatever to the point we come up with FALSE info or interpretations ~cough~ bible-bashers ~cough~ in order to really convince OURSELVES as well as others that their views must be correct.

Do we ever see an Atheist on TV minding his own business, getting ALONG with Christian friends? Do we ever see them on TV performing their jobs and such like every day people? Do we ever see them with their families, loving their children, and getting along with friends? I have plenty of cool atheist friends and we all respect each other's opinions/beliefs. Do we ever see atheists as good people other than those money-nabbing, greedy attention-getting sons of b!tches we see on TV?

No, we see Atheists arguing court cases against displaying the statue of the ten commandments, or bible-bashing with no support. We see people with no lives coming into this forum whose sole purpose is to make others doubt their own faith. Don't they have anything better to do? Do they lack a purpose in life? Go get a job. Go get laid. Do something productive.

Do we ever see Christian groups on TV going down to D.C. to feed the homeless people, visit the old people at nursery homes, or getting involved with orphanages, soup kitchens, and daycare?

No. We see extremist Christians rallying against abortionists, killing abortion doctors, raiding/blockading clinics, using the name of God for hatred and war. We see these so-called "Christians" hate on other people...trying to condemn atheists and other religious groups, attempting to force-convert others. They forget that our purpose is to present the info, not to force-convert. We have Christians who have no basis for their faith....they believe "just because." And because of this, when someone challenges our faith, we cannot answer properly and we say things to prove that we are just f*cking ignorant.

Do we ever see Muslim people in their homes...sharing dinner with family? Do we ever see Muslim people helping out the poor, or donating tons of money, toiletries, and food to countries that are in need? Do we ever see Muslim people as modest, humble individuals making an honest living in the United States?

No. Whenever we hear "muslim," it's because someone's been SHOT. And even so, we see the news on TV "50 people were killed, two Americans," and we go "oh, whew...only two Americans." Do we devalue their lives? Whenever we hear the word Muslim, we (we as in the general American population...good for you if you aren't ignorant) think Afghanistan, Iraq, Al Queda, etc.

Damn you extremists.

#19 CKJ-C

CKJ-C

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

I dont believe in God, but I want to. Why do we have to believe in God to go to heaven? Isnt that selfish of God? I cant believe in God because things in the world make me not to. Why do innocent people die from natural disasters? Why couldnt God get rid of them?

Its mind boggling, who created God and so on. How did God become to be, maybe we dont exist. It goes on and on and on. How can there be no beginning? Too bad we'll never know.

We'll never know because if we understand how things work in the universe than you are higher than God or whatever.

Edited by CKJ-C, 18 April 2005 - 03:20 PM.

#20 Squiddy

Squiddy

i'm PMSing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

In some religions, the word God is so holy they don't spell the whole thing out...like Judaism.

And yes...I'm a Christian and I believe in God...but I can go on forever of why I do. >.<

Edited by Squiddy, 18 April 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#21 cosmic_avian

cosmic_avian

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

I dont believe in God, but I want to.  Why do we have to believe in God to go to heaven? Isnt that selfish of God? I cant believe in God because things in the world make me not to.  Why do innocent people die from natural disasters?  Why couldnt God get rid of them?

Its mind boggling, who created God and so on.  How did God become to be, maybe we dont exist.  It goes on and on and on.  How can there be no beginning? Too bad we'll never know.

View Post

you don't have to believe in God to go to heaven...
heck, you wouldn't even know if there was a heaven or not if you don't believe in it...

natural disasters are something that's unexplainable...some say it's to balance out the universal balance which co-exists within every matter in the cosmos...and some say it's just the shifting of tectonic plates that result in earthquakes and tsunamis...recall the 3 tsunami's in a span of 5 months in the indonesia area...

haha...we won't be able to understand...but we might have some clue by reading the Bible and trying our hardest to interpret it without going too far...it is God's word...but it has been changed over the years...decades...centuries...millennia...

In some religions, the word God is so holy they don't spell the whole thing out...like Judaism.

View Post

wow...

Edited by cosmic_avian, 18 April 2005 - 03:23 PM.

#22 cybermiko

cybermiko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

[quote name='Squiddy' date='Apr 18 2005, 07:19 PM'][quote name='cosmic_avian' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:22 PM']i don't think "God" is a censored term :lol:...
[/quote]

View Post

[/quote]
wow...

View Post

[/quote]
Yeah 'bout that. I have a jewish friend who used to get on my case about spelling out god (sorry shayna) so I do it out of respect for all the jews, muslims, etc. out there.

#23 fluker

fluker

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

you don't go to hell if you don't believe in God...
you have to understand that there are people out there that interpret the scriptures the wrong way...and then begin to think "all christians will go to heaven, and all non-christians will go to hell"...then what about the other religious sects?...heck, judaism came from one of adam and eve's children...so will they go to hell?...

you've been introduced to the religion by the wrong people...

View Post

But you do go to hell if you don't believe in god
because as it say in the 10 commandments one of the rules is that
"You should have no other gods before me"
So all those good people who believe in other gods not the one from the bible has sinned because he didn't obey gods word so he is going to hell

And what about the noah ark when god flooded the world all the people who didn't believe in him dies. And I don't think they are going to heaven even if they are good people. Just think off all the children that die.(if it did actually happen) I think he is a mass murderer.

Another one that makes god cruel
I learn this in a episode of south park they use the things in the book of job in the bible.

3 ¶ And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:
14  And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:
15  And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
.16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
17  While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
.18  While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:
19  And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

I got that from here http://www.bibleexpl.../... sinned not

Since that was so long I will summarise for you. Job was a good guy and he priase god everyday. And satan say to god that if god taken away all his things he will curse him. So by testing job faith he take away all his things. And so, God had a bunch of barbarians come in and slaughter Job's oxen and donkeys, and murder all his workers. Then God sent his fireballs from the sky and killed his sheep and the rest of his employees. And then, as Job's sons and daughters were eating, God sent a mighty wind to collapse the house and crush and kill them all. :lol: :wub:
As you can see god has murder all his workers and family to prove his point. And about all of you saying freewill then how did god manage to tell the barbarians to come and kill all those innocent people. Because he can control them where is the freewill in that.
All I can say is there is so much plot holes in the bible. The only thing I can agree with is that the bible can teach us to be good people but trying to convince me to believe in god. I don't think so.
maybe I should check this things out in a christian forum

#24 Xyphion

Xyphion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:37 PM

Maybe you should read in context rather than pulling out scripture...

The Lord said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Job 1:12

God did not command the Sabeans to attack. They chose to after being somehow worked by the Devil.

Edited by Xyphion, 18 April 2005 - 08:38 PM.

#25 roXer

roXer

BoA* Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

^ Yes.

As you can see god has murder all his workers and family to prove his point. And about all of you saying freewill then how did god manage to tell the barbarians to come and kill all those innocent people. Because he can control them where is the freewill in that.

I would like to state clearly that God is NOT a murderer.

Another one that makes god cruel

God is never cruel but merciful and loving.

You know, most of the things youngsters learn from crap cartoons like southpark are actually bullcrap. Topics like this would hold a debate that will never end cos "some people" no matter how many times we try to explain, they just don't get the point.

All I can say is there is so much plot holes in the Bible. The only thing I can agree with is that the bible can teach us to be good people but trying to convince me to believe in god. I don't think so.

"This is exactly the purpose behind the Bible. God put 66 books together to let his creation know the most important things about life, about what to do in certain situations, and especially about the extent of his love for them. For some reason he chose to leave out dinosaurs,fusion, and gravity (among other significant discoveries). Instead he included stories of real people with real struggles who face hardship and trials, many of whom conquered fears and circumstances because they realized that if God was for them, who could be against them! Many other stories are included of those who rejected God and then experienced tragic consequences. Most of these biblical examples tell us more about living, surviving, and prospering in a complicated society than science could ever hope to promise. Our mind matters to God --- he wants us to think. It's not wrong to ask tough questions about the Bible of the Christian faith. But also consider the appropriateness of each question. And do te same with science, asking the right questions." (adapted from Life Application Bible for Students)

#26 crimson_samurai

crimson_samurai

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

things happen for a reason and as much as we can try to figure things out with science and whatever else human engienereed it can't be fully explained faith hope belief that is all used by the way of the bible or bibles cuz there are so many ones translated differently i don't follow the bible fully i don't do things that God would want me to do yes i'm a sinner and so is everyone else i believe in God as much as the the Devil without good there can not be evil babies die and thats how fate happened for them but Jesus loves children in catholic belief one that dies in ways like that end up in limbo... i don't believe that i believe in heaven or hell only and children are innocent they go to heaven even if the bible says that there are the old and the new testiment and some not even found yet the old is more strict the new shows god Jesus more merciful.... its the way u see it out life is poop cuz its how it goes if u dwell on all the darkness u are consumed by what the devil wants no hope no faith no everylasting life if u convice yourself the only ray of hope to make it to heaven does not exsist then u are only hurting yourself... i need faith i need belief i don't go to church anymore cuz i choose not to i don't like fellowship but i still have my beliefs and also in the bible nobody can judge anybody cuz no one is without sin no one... but still faith bible jesus hope its something to look forward to after death cuz its the only good thing about dying.... reincarnation is unpredicitable u can't know what your life is gonna be next so i rather be in heaven with all my loved ones than be a fly that lives for 2 days then gets swat but thats just how i see it no offense to any other beiliefs

#27 crimson_samurai

crimson_samurai

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:51 AM

oh yeah god doesn't murder he is the alpha and the omega people kill people not god... god takes u to another realm and things happen child births can kill babies abortion miscarrige blame it on God??? no forgot about the forsakened angel and his demons they love to see us suffer and hurt and easy to blame the one that gives us....

#28 RisingSunRocks

RisingSunRocks

fan of BoA and DBSK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:54 AM

I've been a christian since I was a little kid and have been going to church every week. This have happened for 19yrs already. I pray for God's protection and I have seen and witnessed the miracles all happening in front of me as they slowly unfold and I truely feel really blessed and I would say, in my case that I could go on forever and more why I believe in God. He just wants to test our faith in what he does and he has put us on earth for his purpose, I would recommend people to read this Book by Rick Warren. It's called the purpose driven life. That's all I'm saying.

#29 Evolution

Evolution

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:44 AM

No one can explain why God does what he does. It is not comprehensible to our human minds. But as Christians, we believe that God has a will. How he excercises his will, directly or indirectly, via world events or through individuals, be they seemingly cruel, destructive or pointless, is not one for us to consider. Miracles happen everyday, the question is whether we are perceptive enough to realise it.

A friend of mine once said, 'medical breakthroughs are a result of science, but if you really think about it, who created science?'

A lot of people say that something is only feasible if science can prove it. Somethings cannot be proven, but does that mean it doesn't exist? or that it is impossible? This is where beliefs and faith come in. Where science fails, faith will succeed.

The Bible is written by man. Not by God. Therefore it is subjective to our human interpretation. I do not believe that the words in the Bible are to be taken literally. It's in the moral of the stories that we gain knowledge from and build our faith.

Edited by kevy_cl, 19 April 2005 - 02:45 AM.

#30 prototype

prototype

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:01 AM

i definitely dun believe in jesus. but i heard church's a fun place to play. many of my frens go there and have high fun.

seeing is believing, generally i believe wat i see but i absolutely doubt wat i dun see.

about believing in jes will go up.. it seems strange to me. no matter wat u do and u believe in jes and u'ill go up- too good to be true IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users