173 replies to this topic

#1 xXxHeArT_oF_IcExXx

xXxHeArT_oF_IcExXx

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:49 AM

What do you feel about suicide? Do you think there is a cure to this problem?

I feel that suicide is a bad choice, people shouldn't waste away their lives like that because of problems or bad lives. I think that there is a cure to this problem, and that cure is to help those people or ask advice. There's probably thousands of people wanting to commit suicide, and there are only a few people who want to help them.

This is a subject that I'm doing for english class, and I need to get some opinions.

#2 BoA-GeR

BoA-GeR

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:02 AM

tinking of sucide before by eating twenty plus different panadols... tad time of sucide doesnt tink so much but after few month tink back is totally(What do you feel about suicide?) stupid... (Do you think there is a cure to this problem?) Yes... maybe can seek frenz for help or b 4 tinking of sucide tink of whether izzit worth to end life for such a small matter(If Big matter den depend in situation<--Tis might sound stupid)

dUnnO gOt hElp U aNoT ?? ^_^

#3 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:42 AM

I've always thought that suicide is a very selfish act.
Everyone will come to a point in their lives where suicide may seem like the easy way out, however, I believe that the only cure is to ('suck it in' or 'take it like a man' ^_^...sorry, back to seriousity...) just force yourself to keep living.

It takes a lot more strength to live through a hard time...than to die because of it.
(lol, I wonder if I read that somewhere...or if I just made it up ---has a ring to it doesnt it? :thumbsup:)

Now when it comes to what people can do to prevent suicide, the most often repeated advice is to 'ask for help'.

Asking for help is the hardest thing to do, because when you're at the point of thinking about suicide, often, people believe that no one can help them. If you can bring yourself to ask for help, the chances of surviving become much higher.

Friends and family may well seem like the right people to ask, however, each situation varies. If whoever you ask is going through the same depression...then chances are that their advice will not be too good. Asking a person with a relatively neutral perspective and experience with dealing with these kinds of matters would be best. (For e.g. a therapist)

But that is just my 2 cents. ^_^

Edited by Spring Sakura, 23 May 2005 - 02:42 AM.

#4 Evolution

Evolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:53 AM

Completely agree with Chloe ^_^

I would like to add though, most people (teens usually) believe that taking their own life will solve their problems. While many of them feel this way, it in actual fact its not. While you may be ending your own personal problems, you are creating a mountain of pain and suffering for someone else, most likely your family, friends and the people who love you.

Loneliness is not an excuse for suicide. These people feel so lonely or unloved that they think by committing suicide, no one will notice their dissappearence. Yet again, this is not true.

People have to stop being so selfish and start to think about the effects of their actions to other people. If you think your life has no meaning, no purpose, then why don't you go and create your own purpose? Go out and do something to change your life. If you don't like whats going on in your life right now, go out and do what you can to change it.

Suicide is NOT the answer! Seek help, talk to people you trust. If you think that you can't trust anyone you know, go see a counsellor. If you are in school, go see your school counsellor. For people with suicidal tendencies, seeing a therapist or psychiatrist may be a means to a solution.

Finally, I'd just like to add that if you know anyone who is suicidal, or has thought of suicide, or is potentially suicidal, then do what you can to change the way they feel.
Talk to them, and most importantly, show them that you care, and that they are not alone.

A hug can do wondrous things!

#5 stArAnGeL

stArAnGeL

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

i've thought about suicide before... but never dared to even try it...
when i was at the weakest points of my life somehow someone came to my rescue and helped me through my problems... crying does a great deal too... puts me to sleep after hours of it... giving me no chance to hurt myself

but sometimes there's a 'what if i didn't exist? would everyone be happier without me?' And that's where some people think... i don't deserve a life to live... i make everyone miserable... they'd be better off without me...

in most cases... people who commit suicide don't have anyone to be there for them as well as no support from family and friends... soo they think they have nothing...

but there are many cases of why someone commits suicide

eventhough i've thought of doing it i never had the courage too... it would just hurt the people i love the most... and i think of how stupid i'd be... and how angry people will be for not seeing what i was going through earlier and how they couldn't help...

#6 foreverdancer

foreverdancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

I most definitely believe that it can be cured. The person that is considering suicide probably has a lot of problems in which he/she feels can not be fixed or feels very overwhelmed. But if there is a reason he/she should live or has a lot of support/help in their life it can be helped. You only have one chance to live, it would be wrong to take away something so precious that your parents have given to you.

Edited by foreverdancer, 23 May 2005 - 11:28 AM.

#7 sleepychikita13

sleepychikita13

BoA*'s Albino Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

Finally, I'd just like to add that if you know anyone who is suicidal, or has thought of suicide, or is potentially suicidal, then do what you can to change the way they feel.
Talk to them, and most importantly, show them that you care, and that they are not alone.

A hug can do wondrous things!

View Post

See thats a nice way to help people, but sometimes they can never get out of that deep pit of depression, sometimes it goes on for years.

Some people can be cured, sadly some cannot, if they have been in the pit too long its very hard to get them out. And yes some of you will say 'Oh yes they can all be pulled out.' ect ect ect. But how can you say that if you dont even know what its like to be depressed for over a year? It's hard to judge people when you dont know what it's like for them. Sure there a millions of depressed people, only the few have had enough and ended their lives. Sometimes people commit suicide not to end their pain, but also to end the pain of family and friends who have tried to help them over the years, but gave up. And how do I know this? Why from a personal experiance. And yes I'm in that pit of depression and have been for over a year, and yes I've tried to take my own life many times in the past. And yes 5 of my closest friends and I were pulled up to the office because someone tried to help us, but that did NOT help us. I would go on but that is my friend's personal stories and mine also.

Yes some people can be cured but not all, and I know some may fight back and say 'Yes they can all be cured.' But tell me one thing before that, do you know what it's like? Have you ever been depressed before? If so, are you cured? Or not? I know I'm not... even my therapist gave up on me.

And one thing, sometimes people dont take their own life 'because no one would notice.' Some do, but not all...walk in their shoes and maybe you will find something completly different about their lives.

This world isnt all happy and go lucky, there are bad things in it and some of that happens to some people. If you think this world is all happy and go lucky, look at all the nonsense wars that has happened within the past few years. And all the horror and massacre, then tell me that the world is all happy and go lucky.

#8 ange_argente

ange_argente

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:37 PM

I've had thoughts about committing suicide since I was 8. It's hard. Sometimes you think that there's no point in going on. You wonder if people care. You wonder if life's worth it. You wonder if someone will notice you if you're gone; if anyone care.

Suicidal tendencies and depression aren't so easy to cure, like a lot of people believe. Even those who are constantly surrounded by those who love them and those who constantly tell them they are loved don't necessarily believe it. When people don't believe they are needed, that they are loved, that they are worth it and that life is worth it, no amount of caring is going to change that - no amount of caring is going to make them see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't think suicide is the solution to anything, including depression, but I don't think people should underestimate the level of hurt that's involved with suicide. There's a voice in the back of your head that tells you things that make you more depressed. It tells you to do things, to try things, to test the limits of your own mortality. "What if I let go of the steering wheel?" "What happens if I take another pill?" "What if I cut myself with this knife?" It's hard to tell that voice to shut up, especially when it's your own voice.

And it's also really inconsiderate to say things like,

People have to stop being so selfish and start to think about the effects of their actions to other people. If you think your life has no meaning, no purpose, then why don't you go and create your own purpose? Go out and do something to change your life. If you don't like whats going on in your life right now, go out and do what you can to change it.

It's so much easier said than done. When you've got no point in living, you only see the darkness. It hurts far too much to look for light - it takes energy and effort that you don't have. It's hard to explain that to someone who's never been there, but let me tell you. It's never that easy. It's always easier said than done.

Is there a cure to suicide and depression? I don't know. For someone who knows a person who's depressed, my advice is to be the friend they need and to smother them with love even if they don't accept it.

Edited by ange_argente, 23 May 2005 - 12:40 PM.

#9 xx_lost_love_xx

xx_lost_love_xx

BoA's my new gf!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:11 PM

^i agree with her i tried killing myself counltess times in 7th grade, whether it was trying to get hit by a car, starving myself or even cutting till i had no energy left. when your depressed there is no bright side, people tell you countless times that they care for you but somehow that doesnt change your answer, your mind is triggered to lock everyone basically out. you dont see the light in everything, everything is just darkness to you. also countless times i wondered if they were just lying to make me feel better, i used to think i wouldnt even be missed if i died. but eventually my friends started taking me to church and everything just started clearing up. its easier to open up to people you dont really know when you depressed..

#10 bluechick126

bluechick126

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Suicide is a bad solution.

To me, suicide is a permanent solution to what may be a temporary problem. People think that if they die, whatever problems and or issues they may have will go away. However, they're causing the people around them pain just by passing on.

#11 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Their is no cure.
Suidice is really offending to those people who lost ther lives even if they wanted to live.

Why won't they try to do something?, well, i know it really depends on their situation (ie: bullying, work....love..money), but their must be something which can get them out of their situation, for instance, amount debt, if you are really really stuck, and you are willing to do any job, YOU CAN PAY OFF THE DEBT oneday.
Or, love, i heard on the news about a man killing him self and left a note saying that he wanted to die becoause he broke up with his "GIRLFRIEND" , although they had a relation of 3 years, their are many women in this world who you can love, if not, time will ease you eventually.

The point that i'm trying to make, is that their are many people who wanted to live, such as my father who fought cancer, but died after 2 weeks (as some of you may know), people who died of cancer, accidents, illness....endless.

Those people who are planning (hope not) to suicide, before you do, have a thought about those who lost their lives even if they wanted to LIVE.

Edited by saru, 23 May 2005 - 08:53 PM.

#12 chidori

chidori

10+ years of loving BoA :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:49 PM

You've all made some really good points, particularly the last comment by Saru. However a lot of you are being quite harsh and blaming the suicidal people for their condition, saying how selfish they are. In a way you are right, but this kind of attitude doesn't help them.

There is actually only a subtle difference between killing yourself and someone else. It all depends who you blame your problems on, whatever they are (financial difficulty, bullying, the death of a loved one, etc). If you blame someone else, you (might) want to hurt that person or even kill them. Some people blame themselves, and want to hurt or kill themselves.

A common belief is that people self harm and kill themselves when they're depressed/really upset. I know from personal experience that people don't feel like doing this when they're sad, they do it when they're angry. Really, really angry. They feel so helpless and useless, that their life is so crap and not worth living, and they feel to blame. They are filled with self hatred and that makes them hurt themselves. If you thought someone had ruined your life you'd hate them, and want them to sufer for what they'd done, right? Well its the same principle just turned back on the person themselves.

I'm happier now (i became a Christian and highly recommend it, i haven't been really depressed since :wub: God Rawks!) but some people aren't so lucky... My friend once described depression as being like a door-less room and i know what she means, people get trapped in their misery and can't see a way out.

It is a dangerous condition, and many people think they should just get over it cos everyone else has problems and they don't get depressed. But depression can't be snapped out of quite so easily because it's a mental illness, and what these people need isn't people telling them to get a grip but people being a bit sympathetic, making them feel needed and making them think they have something to live for.

Sorry for the rant, but if people hadn't been supportive when i got depressed, i don't know how bad it would have got... i used to break down in tears at school, and i wanted to die. I was lucky to have really supportive friends (and God) to help me through it. I just want everyone else to have the same chance.

#13 Mikenyhk

Mikenyhk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

I think suicide is a selfish act.. I totally agree, u wont gain anything from it and you just run away from your problems... you're hurting urself n ur family n friends....

the other side of it is, we do not know what these ppl go thru in their lives... we cannot judge them unless we're in their shoes.. i just feel sad about it if someone committed suicides...they must be really in pain...

#14 saru

saru

Ono Shinji #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

Yeh, what Chidori and Mikenyhk said is correct.
I really don't think their is any straight answers to these kind of cure, but i am sure it would make them slightly think about their importance when they think that when themselves die, "someone" would be sad.

Well, i did have an bad time at school with relations with some of my friends at early schooling, sometimes thinking about noone needs me, no one cares about, making me think about killing my self "at times".
And one day having all m family member's sitting at a table having dinner having a wonderful time, realsied the most important thing that my family is always on my side, with love and care, thenon, i started to change my daily life, and now i'm here with friends who i trust, and my family who i love, and care about.

Edited by saru, 24 May 2005 - 10:56 PM.

#15 Deathdemon

Deathdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

how can suicide be "selfish"? if no one else is paying attention to the person's problems, who else is going to pay attention to it? the person. when it hurts sooo bad deep inside, what else can the person do? talk about their problems? to who? a therapist? they don't care. you're just a customer to them. to your family? most of the time, it's them who makes you want to kill yourself. and if you have friends, they're so wrapped up in their own drama to even care what you have on your mind. it's a person's right to choose what they do with their own body and life. maybe if the "loved ones" of the person spent a few minutes to show some care for the person, they wouldn't want to die. so the person isn't "selfish". the people around him or her are. you can't just blow off your feelings and say, "i don't need anyone in my life." people need to be and feel loved or they won't have any reason to feel they need to live. and you can't ever "cure" suicidal feelings. they come from being depressed, and there is never a cure for depression. (the disease, not like a one minute feeling.)

Edited by Deathdemon, 25 May 2005 - 10:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users