69 replies to this topic

#16 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

I didnt think this topic was about being pro-choice or not...isnt it just discussing the morals of abortion? :wub:

anyways...if you couldnt tell from my post...am pro-choice. *nods*

#17 mashpotatobunny

mashpotatobunny

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

I'm pro-choice. Abortions should only used in certain circumstances though. If having the baby would threaten the mother's health (like some type of complications, emotional scarring that's just like really extreme, etc.), then yeah. If the baby doesn't really have a chance of surviving, I guess. If the kid's gonna go through hell (like he/she won't have food or water or a home), I'd say yes on abortion because there's really no point. I mean, if you don't have any food or water to give your kid, how is he/she going to survive anyway? If it was rape, I'd say yes. It is hard to kill a living thing, but if the baby you're going to have is going to remind you every day of that horrible thing that happened to you and you won't be able to deal with that feeling, then yes, abortion. But if some reckless teens just decides to have unprotected sex and ends up with a baby, then no, abortion shouldn't be a solution to the teens' problems. They're fully aware of the risks of having sex, but they did it anyway, so it's their problem. They should keep the kid.

So yeah. Abortion is okay, but only under certain circumstances. Abortion shouldn't just be used to solve stupid problems like forgetting to use a condom or something.

#18 chidori

chidori

10+ years of loving BoA :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

I studied abortion briefly in law and for an assignment 2 years ago in R.E so i have come to develop my own views on this issue, whereas i didn't really have any feelings about it before.

i don't like the current laws, i think they became far to flexible after the abortion act. A woman can have an abortion now if they think having the child will cause her any kind of physical or mental harm. Or if the baby is deformed- i think this is the worst, a kid can't help it if it hasn't developed properly either physically or mentally, it's so unfair to kill it just because it's not "normal".

My belief is that killing is wrong and unless the mother risks serious illness or death abortion shouldn't be allowed (if she could die then i say abort the baby cos the mother is more important, she has a family and friends who know her and will miss her, the baby dying is not such a huge loss as the loss of an adult, no offence to anyone who disagrees)

if there's problems at home or the parent(s) have no money, the kid can be fostered or adopted. this isn't ideal but it is better than not letting him/her live at all, i don't think it justifies killing the baby.

if it is handicapped and the mother can't cope, she can always have him/her adopted, it's better to give the kid a chance than kill it cos you think you won't be able to handle it.

In circumstances such as rape leading to pregnancy i still think it is wrong because it is not the child's fault that the mother got raped so why take it out on the child by having it aborted? it is selfish and immature i think to kill a baby because of the circumstances of conception. The child had no influence on these circumstances and shouldn't be punished for them.

Teenagers who didn't use protection- tough luck. if they insist on rushing into becoming sexually active and don't take the necessary precautions then they should have to suffer the consequences. Abortion isn't just another form of birth control and it really irritates me how some people treat it as such.

I wouldn't have an abortion unless my life was at risk, any other reason is selfish and just not a good enough excuse for taking an innocent life...

Edited by chidori, 20 June 2005 - 05:59 AM.

#19 WINNIEE

WINNIEE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

i despise abortion with all my heart. unless u get liked rape or something then i guess its an acception. but like if u didnt get raped and it was ur own fault. at least u cud of used a condom or something ^_^ but even if they decide to keep the child, usually the parents are never around. like the mom is at school or work and the father like completely disappears. abortion is so wrong. taking away a life is wrong

#20 NurikoOutlaw

NurikoOutlaw

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

ABORTION

6 weeks old today mummy,
A birthday gift for me...
A pair of big blue eyes,
through one day I will see....
Where are we going mummy?
with the rain splashing down...
When it hits the sidewalk,
it makes a funny sound....
Bang! through the big white doors,
people dressed in green...
If they hurt you mummy,
just run away and scream....
Help me mummy! Their tearing me apart!
There goes my big blue eyes,
there goes my little heart.....
I love you mummy believe me I do,
but the worst thing is.....
I thought you loved me to.....

View Post

that's so sad ^_^ killing a poor child like that..

i think abortion is only right in a couple cases.. rape or if the mother won't be able to support the child after it's born.. but even so, there are other choices than abortion :P, i hate when people say its not really a "person" yet, just like a sac of cells ;) of course its a person

View Post

I think that's it's wrong where the mother is only thinking of herself at the time, not even comprehending the consequences. The baby has to suffer in the end. That too is wrong. I think it's a person...it's so very confusing... :)

#21 bgirl1604

bgirl1604

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:37 PM

I'm totally against abortion. I believe that life begins the moment the mothers egg is fertalized, and to end that childs life is like shooting a person in cold blood. The only time I would excuse it is if the mother was raped or if the baby has sever medical problems and would be unable to live a normal life.

#22 pitabread

pitabread

BoA's Slave

• BoAjjang Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

Prochoice on this topic.

It is not for me to decide what a person can or cannot do.

#23 Q-Works

Q-Works

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:01 AM

Im so Pro-Life, I'm dead lol. I dont know why you'd wanna take away another person's life, especially since they can't defend themselves. I hate abortions for that main reason, also cause I could've been one of those fetuses, which is I love life. The way I see it, a murder is a murder.

#24 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

if there's problems at home or the parent(s) have no money, the kid can be fostered or adopted. this isn't ideal but it is better than not letting him/her live at all, i don't think it justifies killing the baby.

if it is handicapped and the mother can't cope, she can always have him/her adopted, it's better to give the kid a chance than kill it cos you think you won't be able to handle it.

View Post

Perhaps...but how many people are able to cope with a handicapped child. Or even willing to adopt a child with disabilities?
The work involved is very trying and very heartbreaking.
The idea of giving birth to a child who is not "perfect" despite its flaws is a romantic concept...but not necessarily that realistic.
Besides...not all foster parents are good foster parents. As the maternal parent shouldn't you consider the safety of the child too? The pain a child goes through is not singular...the pain is also felt by the parent.
Wouldn't you hate yourself for allowing your child to suffer that way? Watching them struggle through life without alot of the advantages of other children? Knowing how painful it must be to feel different?

Not every parent is capable of handling that. Even the foster ones.

In circumstances such as rape leading to pregnancy i still think it is wrong because it is not the child's fault that the mother got raped so why take it out on the child by having it aborted? it is selfish and immature i think to kill a baby because of the circumstances of conception. The child had no influence on these circumstances and shouldn't be punished for them.

View Post

The birth of the child alone could be suffering. Not for the mother...but for the child.
To be despised by the mother for being the production of one of the most traumatic incidents that could happen to a woman.
It would be VERY hard to love someone who is the result of something so disgusting and tragic.
Not everyone can do it.

The emotional trauma that comes with rape is indescribable. Victims of rape, imo, should be allowed the choice for abortion in particular.

Besides, the child wouldn't necessarily appreciate it either. There is the theory that raping is heriditary. It's the whole "Nature Vs. Nurture" thing.

Teenagers who didn't use protection- tough luck. if they insist on rushing into becoming sexually active and don't take the necessary precautions then they should have to suffer the consequences. Abortion isn't just another form of birth control and it really irritates me how some people treat it as such.

View Post

What about teenagers that do not have access to such information? There was a time when sex education was disapproved of by many schools and government organisations.
I, myself, know a person who is only ten years older than I, yet she did not recieve sexual education until her 9th year of schooling.
By then, many of her friends had already had sex.

I would definitely recommend the reading of "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. Some of the issues discussed there relate relatively well to this discussion.

Note: all I say is for the sake of debating really, and consist of my opinions only. I do not mean to force my views on anyone. Everyone is entitled to my opinion and also entitled to challenge mine. :D

#25 Sang_hae_yo_BoA9190

Sang_hae_yo_BoA9190

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:37 PM

I'm totally against abortion. I believe that life begins the moment the mothers egg is fertalized, and to end that childs life is like shooting a person in cold blood. The only time I would excuse it is if the mother was raped or if the baby has sever medical problems and would be unable to live a normal life.

View Post

my views are eggsaktly lik yours. but even in rape and disabilities, i believe that a child shoudl still be given the right to live. one of my friends came from a family where his mother was raped and he is the child. he is without doubt one of the nicest guys in the world. and each and every time i go to his house and see him with his mom, there's just so much love between them. he tells her all the time " thank you mom, for giving me a chance to live". i do not believe that women should be alowed to discard their child at any point in pregnancy no matter the situation.

#26 dictatormax84

dictatormax84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:01 AM

logic: anmals don't do it. should we have abortion? no.

my opinion: i agree that abortion should not be used widely unless it become a necessary for it to be carried out. cases like:

1)the one with the foetus ,have an illness and it will affect the foetus development, thus its future.

2) the girl is still young[< 18]. so young, how are they going to look after the baby. will it damage more to their body if she allow the child to live, or aborion more? is she emtionally ready? you don't want to see her killing the baby when it cries all day, do you? will it disrupt her life so severe that her future is in jeopardy. unless she is married and the guy can afford to relieve her part of the child upbringing and part-financially.

3) unless it is from an unwilling sex partner.i.e from rape.

4) unless the foetus has a serious problem surviving.

5) the girl or woman is an invalid[=inability hope that doesn't sound rude] and husband is too busy looking after her.

still i believe abortion is an evil modern *invention* .

Edited by dictatormax84, 01 July 2005 - 10:03 AM.

#27 thelivinlegend21

thelivinlegend21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

I don't support abortion, but I don't reject it either.

1. I do NOT support abortion. Why?
- Most abortions are now done secretly in "alleys" and often, these places are unsanitary. The so-called doctors that perform these operations are also very inexperienced, so the chances that there would be something to go horribly wrong are very high. Next, let's say that they are successful in the operation. What are the side-effects of everything? Not only are these secretly performed abortions jeopardizing the life of the fetus/baby, but it is endangering the life of the mother.

2. I do NOT support abortion.
- Everyone deserves the chance to live. As Mimi.Chan pointed out, if the child isn't born, how would you know how the child would turn out? He/she could be the president of a country, doing great things for the people, or he/she could be the next biggest convict alive. Whatever the outcome, whoever it is, still deserves a chance at life.

3. I support abortion. Why?
- Most women that become pregnant are subject to this due to reasons like rape. So let's say you do get raped. What happens then? You're carrying a child that has a "father" that left, and the mother to take care of a child that she doesn't have any feelings for? That's rather absurd. The mother should have the choice in whether she wants to keep the fetus or not. If people restrict this option, how would the child's life be as it grows up? Treated without respect, and neglected. Is that what some of you want their lives to be like?

4. I support abortion. Why?
- Teen pregnancy has been an issue since the beginning of time. Now think about it. You're a 17-year-old, still a Junior in High School, and you get pregnant. Can you guarantee that child a good life? Of course not. You're still financially, mentally, and emotionally unstable. There is no way that you're ready to raise that child. Put it in a foster home you say, or how about make it an orphan you say? Think about how that child is going to grow up. I will say that over 70% of the foster parents that raise their children are bad influences to the child's life. What happens then? They take their foster parents as an example and grow up to be bad kids.

#28 MZero

MZero

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

well I don't know if it's an issue for other people to agree or disagree unless it's your own flesh and blood, I mean we're talking about somebody's life here, somebody's baby's life. I think if a lady has to go through 10 months of having a baby, nobody should have any say in wether or not she should keep it or lose it, well except for herself. I hate it when hearing the guy saying "but it's our baby~~ I wanna keep it" while he's frickin' 18 and just outta highschool without a job and she's the frickin' same, they don't have the ability to keep the baby, and the man acting like a little b**** doesn't help with a damn thing.

#29 cosmic_avian

cosmic_avian

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

The guy usually whines and b!tches, then ditches her. He doesn't want to bear the guilt of killing an organism ;)

And I thought the whole pregnancy thing was like 9 months before the operation or whatever :D

I also heard that after a certain point in the baby's development, you can't get an abortion? Hmm, not sure.

#30 joey168

joey168

mmm... BoA's cute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:26 PM

abortion should not be considered unless it is severe condition...

abortion should be allowed if someone is raped, its not like she chose to have a child, she was raped because some imbecile decided to have some fun. Or if the life or the mother or the fetus is in danger or dying then it should be allowed.

i don't think abortion should be allowed if its a teen who had a one nighter that went wrong. if they took the right precautions it wouldn't have happened. for instance, they used protection but the condom broke, well then go buy the emergency pill. However I know that at times precautions are taken, and sometimes girls/women can will become pregnant, but if you're not willing to bear the consequences of your actions, then obviously you shouldn't be having sex.

it depends on how handicapped a child is, not everyone is willing to adopt a handicapped child. its not easy to look after a handicapped child, it takes alot of time, patience and love, and in the end, it might not always be the best choice. have you ever thought about how a handicapped person is looked upon? with pity? with disgust? Not everyone in the world is understanding about them, and alot of the time they are considered second class. At the same time, they have alot to teach us, how they persevere in life and how much joy they could bring to someone's life.

Everyone has their reasons for being for and against abortion, in the end, if abortion can be monitored and not abused then i guess its acceptable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users