247 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

"What is up with everyone listening to Korean music these days? You're not Korean, you have no business listening to their music."

Now, besides the obvious factor that I think this person who said this quote was referring to Japanese music, since through anime such music is made popular, we will ignore that minor ignorance as people being, well ignorant.

This was said to me on Friday during study hall because I was listening to Korean music and I am about as far from Korean, as well, anyone can possibly be. But I happen to be fond of the musical beat that comes out of Korea, and Asia overall, and since it's in a different language I have no idea how god awful the lyrics could possibly be, which is part of the turn off in the American music industry right now. I love lyrics. I'm a poet and writer, I love them, and I don't want to hear stupid lyrics. Stupid lyrics bother me. Therefore, I listen to something that sounds like it has good lyrics because the person is singing it beautifully, and you want to know the sad part, yes sometimes the lyrics are just what the lyrics would be here in America, but most of the time they are a lot better. They sound better. They are about more than just sex and romance.

Do As Infinity is one of my favorite bands, and they sang about social issues, war, and working yourself too hard. They sang about family and families getting torn apart. They sang about the joys of giving birth. They sang about nature and how utterly beautiful nature is. And the best part? They were headed by a girl. They were a rock band who was headed by a female, who didn't scream, but sang, beautifully. Find me a band in America that extends that far out lyrically. Find me a band in America that sings about that, and is extremely popular, not just for the lyrics, but because they sound amazing.

Moon HeeJun is my favorite male artist. He sings hard rock, he sings gorgeous ballads and he used to be in a boy band. Moon HeeJun writes, composes and arranges every single song on his albums. HeeJun wrote a song about his parents and how much he loved them. HeeJun was also in a boy band and when they broke up he moved away from the hip hop and r&b they did and made hard rock songs, why? Because that's the kind of music he wanted to make. Former boy band members usually can't rise above their boy band years. Maybe it's because H.O.T. combined violins with hip hop beats, but HeeJun somehow broke away from what was a four to five year career and came out with hard rock.

BoA, who is the artist I was listening to at the time this statement was said, sings in two languages fluently, sings decently in another, and is trying extremely hard to become fluent in a fourth. BoA is a Korean who broke into the J-pop industry at the age of about 13 or 14 and became extremely popular singing in Japanese. BoA has recorded some songs in English, which she has an accent in but other than that sounds beautiful. BoA is now recording in Chinese, and though her Chinese is very rough, and very forced she is trying to become fluent because she knows she has Chinese fans who listen to the Korean and Japanese and she wants to communicate with them. BoA may sing pop, but she sings pop that you can perform to. She sings pop that she can dance to, dance in steps. American music now seems to only have body shaking music, but the music BoA makes has steps. My boyfriend has compared her to J.Lo before she was J.Lo. BoA is a dancer who happens to sing extremely well, and she suceeds because she loves to dance all types of dance.

Utada Hikaru released an English album last year. She was Japan's R&B darling and she was raised in America, so she spoke both fluent English and Japanese. Her style of music was funky, dance and alternative on the album and it flopped. Mostly because she got no publicity. And she got no publicity because she flopped. But she flopped because she got no publicity. But she couldn't get the publicity because of her flopping. See the vicious cycle? Yes. Utada Hikaru has recently started releasing again in Japan and her new single, though isn't up to par with what she had when she left, is extremely powerful, lyrically.

So there is a brief synopsis of four artists and bands that I listen to. And there are the reasons why I am fond of them. They are talented, they have very attractive music, and though they are not readily avaliable to me, I am more than willing to sacarfice some extra money and time in between releases to make sure that I buy their newest albums.

Now let me ask you: so I'm not Korean, so I'm not Japanese, so I'm not Chinese, so I'm not of any oriental decent at all. Who cares? Just because the artists aren't the same ethnicity as me doesn't mean I don't have any business to listen to them. I have my reasons for liking them. They are a lot more appealling than anything that's avaliable to me here in the states. That's all that really matters, right? It's what I like, not what I should and should not listen to. This is a very global world, I'm not at all sorry I'm embracing that ability to get access to music that I'm fond of because of the new connection we have to other countries and cultures.

The point of this lengthy story is this: what is everyones thoughts on non-Asians who think Asian music is good music? Should people listen to music that they don't understand? Should people be trying to understand a different culture because it appeals to them? That is the question I pose to you. You see my views on the issue, what are yours?

#2 thelivinlegend21

thelivinlegend21

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

Returning a question. "Why not?"

What's to stop us from being exposed to their culture? Really, you shouldn't let someone as ignorant as that get under your skin. They've lost their sense of what music really is.

"What is up with everyone listening to Korean music these days? You're not Korean, you have no business listening to their music."

To whoever said this, I rest my case.

#3 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

Ah, people tell me that all the time!! Except it's not Asian people, it's white people. ~_~ It's stupid, and ignorant, and you really shouldn't even dignify that with a response. But if you have to, use that shaming mechanism, and say something like, "Wow, that sounded racist" then walk away. 99; The looks on their faces is funny.

#4 sakyh

sakyh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

I'm non-Asian, & I love Asian music!
My parents have wanted to 'put a cap on it.' -.-
I even explained why I like to my mom, but she didn't understand. She thinks all the songs sound the same. But she has probably never actually listened...
I think people should try to understand other cultures. It opens them up. OT other poeple, new oppurtunities.
I listen to music I don't understand most of the time, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Though some will.
'Music is Music'

#5 Rokit

Rokit

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

Yes, i've been asked this question too so many times by family. It's mostly family, you noticed? A couple of friends. "your not asian, why do you listen to it? Listen to Mexican music!" :( ........ T_T

Music over here in America is bad i think. Bringing bad influences.... hip hop : being a gangster, smoking weed, treating women like toys. Rock: being depressed, killing someone..... etc.. Not all are like that but the majority i believe.

As too asian music...... they are happy lyrics, fun, sad, energetic songs mostly. I've listen to some of the hip hop songs and they weren't all bad, mostly of having good times. Asian music is something else, I really really like it. If i may say, Nami Tamaki's style i haven't heard from American singers. And not just Nami has that kind of style, but other singers like TM Revolution.

People don't need to be so ignorant.... sheesh... :(

#6 AzNStatus

AzNStatus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

I find it pretty lame that there are people who think like that.
I don't know anyone who are that ignorant.
Alot of my friends n family accept to what i listen to, they never complain or question to why i listen to that particular genre, because they know that i'm a big fan of music.
Its true that good lyrics that have meaning are one of the most needed elements for a good song.
But its also about a interesting structure of a song, what type of intruments are being played, how its composed, effects being used and how well the vocals mix with the song.
Music's universal, it doesn't matter what race you are, if you don't understand the language, if its from a different culture even if your a alien.
I think its good to listen to music from another country because it makes you want to know more/ be apart of that culture,
i'm not just saying about music either, but also any other form of cultural entertainment or lifestyle.

Heck, i can even listen to a Final Fantasy soundtrack, a Tekken OST which are composed by Japanese artist's, and i'm not even 1% Japanese.
Would that mean i have no business, what so ever to listen to thier music? even though it doesn't consist of any lyrics?
No ofcourse not.

Well it all comes down to whatever floats your boat, right?

#7 Deathdemon

Deathdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

that's their opinion. but the truth is that everybody listens to music outside their race. no different than a white person listening to rap or an asian person listening to american pop.

#8 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:39 AM

The point of this lengthy story is this: what is everyones thoughts on non-Asians who think Asian music is good music?

I actually adore it when I meet non-asians that like Asian music! I got so many of my friends addicted to jpop and kpop, and find that the fact that they are able to open their minds to accept music from a different culture & language to their own is very impressive. It makes me happy to be able to share something I love with them.
I have a great respect for non-asians that listen to Asian music. It's a nice contrast to those idiots that constantly question my ability to appreciate japanese and korean music because I dont speak the language.

Should people listen to music that they don't understand?

How does one UNDERSTAND music? People UNDERSTAND the LYRICS, but people who know how to appreciate music, FEEL the emotion the artists communicate through the music.
Music is not UNDERSTOOD, it is FELT.

Therefore, who the hell cares if you dont understand the LYRICS, so long as you are able to feel the emotion and the energy of the MUSIC.

So many people have forgotten what music really means nowadays, it's getting sad. Why is everything about the lyrics now?
I mean wtf? Isn't Classical music considered music anymore? I dont see any lyrics there. :(

Sure, lyrics are important. But words mean squat if there isnt any emotion behind them.

Should people be trying to understand a different culture because it appeals to them?

Definitely. Why not? It's important for people to have an understanding of many different cultures, esspecially with the growth of globalisation and multiculturalism in most developed countries. Anybody who says otherwise needs to stop living under a rock and wake up.

Edited by Spring Sakura, 02 October 2005 - 12:39 AM.

#9 shirlee

shirlee

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

music goes on without border.
whoever said that doesn't understand music, therefore, they should consider taking it back cuz it makez them sound stupid. =.=::
that's pretty nosy too, I mean everyone have different taste in music, why should they even bother questioning you???

#10 Sakura_Chan

Sakura_Chan

Tenshi No Tsubasa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:21 AM

i'm not asian.I don't think that i've ever had an asain ancestor in my family.But who cares?
I LOVE asian music and thats all there is to it.I,personally,can't stand american music.It does'nt give you any feelings or emotions.
also,i had a talk with my mom about that the other day.And she said:
''people,rappers,hip hop and rAnd b artist are all liars.they begin to lie to you and tell you that they feel bad the poor people,things about ''jesus always being there for them,ect....but the truth is,they don't care about you at all.they don't care about the poor.they're making money while we're loosing it,buying they're cd's.''

and that,my friend,is what i belive to be the truth.If anyone does not agree with me,then thats your own opinion,not mine.

#11 Gabriel

Gabriel

I know BoA*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:51 AM

I dont really see anything wrong with that, im not asian AT ALL!! and i love that music even tho i dont understand it YET!! that will hopefully change soon ^^ i hate latin music i mean is just crap :s lyrics are so stupid specially that crap called reggaeton i mean OMG!! can music be any worse.
My friends are all like: Dude how can u listen to that chinese crap, i just tell them to go F*** if they dont like it, besides is not like all i listen is asian music, i like all kinds of music i love rock, techno, classic, hip-hop, r&b, etc. So i dont see why asian music should be any different is music like any other. Ignorants always place asian music in a different category like something only chinese ppl like :s its so stupid >_<

#12 winkme

winkme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:59 AM

But why SOME asian Like american Musics! :lol:
while SOME American and European people like Asian Music?
Im japanese but i hate american music :o
i think it doesent have good meaning at all :)
im proud of Asian Music! :)

#13 -rita;zafra-

-rita;zafra-

[·*·BoA'slilPanda·*·]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:08 AM

I dont really see anything wrong with that, im not asian AT ALL!! and i love that music even tho i dont understand it YET!! that will hopefully change soon ^^ i hate latin music i mean is just crap :s lyrics are so stupid specially that crap called reggaeton i mean OMG!! can music be any worse.
My friends are all like: Dude how can u listen to that chinese crap, i just tell them to go F*** if they dont like it, besides is not like all i listen is asian music, i like all kinds of music i love rock, techno, classic, hip-hop, r&b, etc. So i dont see why asian music should be any different is music like any other. Ignorants always place asian music in a different category like something only chinese ppl like :s its so stupid >_<

completly agree with you
latin music suck this days , i mean i only like ballads and not all of them. the reast suk, yeah like reggaeton i mean WTF is "Run and caugh ther run and caught her!" please :). actually american music sucks too. they have no beat ! x_X makes me feel nothing. and if u care about the lyrics, i prefer to listen to a song that i don't understand at all than listen to a song that talks about an ass :lol: .

they so called arguement is that: "it's not your culture" i'm like "Well sweetie i didn't know u were born in USA i thought u were born here, like me :)"

oh yeah and i totally agree with winkme

Edited by RitaZafra, 02 October 2005 - 09:11 AM.

#14 BoAFriend

BoAFriend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

I don't think there is a issue because music is music; there are no boundaries. People who really respect and love music realize this; narrow minded people do not. Sure, it may seem odd at first - to most people, but when you listen to music in a foreign language, the words don't even matter anymore - the music just takes you away.

BTW, I agree SO MUCH and could not agree more with what you had to say about some artists, especially Do As Infinity.

#15 Iza04

Iza04

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

It doesn't matter where the music comes from, in the moment Asia just does it better. I hear the same thing, why do you listen to music from Asia? you don't even know what there're singing. Why do we need to understand it, if the music and the voice is great. I, myself are not close to being asian at all, but still Asia is my biggest interest, not only, music, but also movies, history, language and culture.

Why do non-Americans, listen to American music? Isn't it the same? Why should only koreans listen to korean music, when the whole world has to listen to american music. When I ask that, people say, well we understand that, .... well, didn't we hear music as young kids to? (meant to not native english speakers, as myself :o) When I was younger I didn't understand english either, then why is it different? Why do people have to understand what they sing. I think a song is a lot more worth, when a person, who doesn't have a clue what there're singing, still loves it, because of, either the music or/and the singing. If you can love a song, from what it is, not what they're singing, then you know good music. Asia proves that you don't have to sing in english to be good. Asia keeps its own style, no matter, if it's K-pop, J-pop, C-pop and so on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users