247 replies to this topic

#241 SugarPinkKitty

SugarPinkKitty

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

I totally agree with you. I listen to music from just about every culture. I don't think there's a single language you could name that isn't featured in my music collection. I love listening to languages other than my own (my first language is English). I absolutely love hearing the inflections and accents I don't entirely understand, if at all. I don't care that it doesn't make sense to me. It makes sense to someone, obviously, and that's what makes it meaningful.

While I listen to the melody of a song before I concentrate on the lyrics, I must agree with you that the music industry in America is currently slipping in the brains section. So many songs out right now come down to "Oh, baby you're so hot...I think I love you". That gets old. Fast. Like you, I don't understand most of the lyrics in the songs I listen to, and that's fine by me. I won't be able to tell if their lyrics are as horrible as what I wrote above, the downturn to that is I won't be able to tell if they're phenomenally written either unless I look up a translation.

However, I do have an example of a band just as talented as Do As Infinity (who I love as well) that comes from the US. Evanescence. I know from time to time Amy Lee (the lead singer) has her tendencies towards screamo, but she never truly goes all the way. One word out of an entire song might be screamed, if even. Of course they're far darker than Do As Infinity, but they write about issues just as hard to deal with (suicide, death of a family member, insanity, low self esteem, dreams, etc.). Very rarely are their songs about love, and if they are they're far from coming out and saying it (at least in the sex category). However, I agree, we have a serious shortage of truly talented, female fronted bands here in the US.

I can't believe someone would say something as ignorant as that to you. Who cares if you're not Korean? I can guarantee plenty of people in Korea listen to American music, and I have to wonder what that person would have to say about that. American music is incredibly mainstream around the world. Just because Korean, Japanese, etc. music isn't quite as well known here in the US doesn't make it wrong for us to enjoy it. Keep on listening!

#242 emustaraxxx

emustaraxxx

I know BoA*

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

Most young people listen to rap/hip hop and I hate it. I prefer to listen to jpop than listen to those horrible lyrics that I found stupid and superficial. I prefer not understand what BoA is saying and hear her beautyful voice than those people rapping (talking) about crap.

Edited by emustaraxxx, 12 September 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#243 koreapride

koreapride

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

I think people who think that just because someone isn't from a particular country that that person should not listen to that country's music. Honestly, I think that it is wonderful that people want to explore another country's pop culture. If others disagree with that statement, they could be respectful about it when they ask why one would want to listen to music they may or may not understand the lyrics of. I think lyrics, while they are important, are not the most important part of a song. While they can add or detract beauty from the song, the background music and the voice singing the lyrics are also important as well. For example, while I like the lyrics to 'Umbrella' by Rihanna, I absolutely detest Rihanna herself, and therefore do not like to listen to the song. I did, however, enjoy it when 2NE1 did a cover of it. I do enjoy knowing the lyrics and what they mean, but that isn't the most important aspect of the song. As others have mentioned, music is felt, not understood, and can be interpreted in an infinite number of ways.

Some people have made fun of me for my choice of music. I listen mainly to Korean and Japanese music, and barely any American music, even though I live in America and in an area where there are almost no East Asians. I don't like American music, because almost all of the songs I have heard are about money, sex, drugs, etc. Love songs all seem to say the same thing. Maybe that's just my opinion, because as I said, I don't really listen to American music, but the ones that seem to be popular among my peers have the topics I mentioned. I especially don't enjoy rap music, because the lyrics can be extremely degrading or have a plethora of swear words in them. I think swearing is unneccessary and although I tolerate some of the lesser ones occasionally, I can't stand it in the amounts used in most American rap music. I think the only full rap group I can stand is Epik High.

I will admit that I enjoy some of Taylor Swift's songs, and I am a fan of Paramore. I understand what they're singing about and it isn't what I consider 'offensive'. Maybe I can't speak Korean or Japanese, but when I look up English translations, I understand what they're singing about. I look up the lyrics for an American song, and it might as well be in Russian for the amount of it that I understand. Maybe that's just my view.

It probably doesn't matter whether I understand the lyrics or not, but I do like to know what the song is about. But really, if you like a song or artist, support it. What others think about your music choice doesn't really matter. If they think you're weird for listening to Asian music when you aren't Asian, then so what? That just proves they're narrow minded.

#244 EunHyuk<3

EunHyuk<3

My girlfriend just dumped me. -_-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Well, I would like to ask "Why not?"
There's nothing to stop someone from being exposed to somebody else's culture.
You shouldn't really let someone as ignorant as that bother you.
What do they really know about music?

#245 CloudsxInsanity

CloudsxInsanity

Who's BoA?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

lool who cares what music you listen to right? It's music. Music is music to my ears xD
I'm not Asian, I am Puerto Rican. I listen to ALL kinds of music expect Rap. I can't stand it.
I love Country, K-Pop/Rock, J-Pop/Rock, Rock, Post-Hardcore, Ska... just about everything!
A certain kind of genre just gets me in mood ya know. Again, like I said. Who cares XD

I always find it interesting that people borden their taste in music haha.

#246 NikuZ

NikuZ

Forever Jumping in the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Most young people listen to rap/hip hop and I hate it. I prefer to listen to jpop than listen to those horrible lyrics that I found stupid and superficial. I prefer not understand what BoA is saying and hear her beautyful voice than those people rapping (talking) about crap.

I Agreed with u ...

Im not Asian, but i Love Asian Music.

#247 mlyap7_boa

mlyap7_boa

Would take a bullet for BoA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

I agree with you too... ^^

#248 caro_s2

caro_s2

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

I totally agree with you. I listen to music from just about every culture. I don't think there's a single language you could name that isn't featured in my music collection. I love listening to languages other than my own (my first language is English). I absolutely love hearing the inflections and accents I don't entirely understand, if at all. I don't care that it doesn't make sense to me. It makes sense to someone, obviously, and that's what makes it meaningful.

Who cares if you're not Korean? I can guarantee plenty of people in Korea listen to American music, and I have to wonder what that person would have to say about that. American music is incredibly mainstream around the world. Just because Korean, Japanese, etc. music isn't quite as well known here in the US doesn't make it wrong for us to enjoy it. Keep on listening!

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THINK! I have so many different languages on my MP3!!
My first language is Spanish, and some of my friends who don't understand English listen to songs in English!!! so why can't I listen to music in korean, which I don't undenstand? It's the same situation...

I also agree with this: "I absolutely love hearing the inflections and accents I don't entirely understand, if at all. I don't care that it doesn't make sense to me. "

that's exactly what I think too!!! ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users