93 replies to this topic

#1 Black_BoA_Gal786

Black_BoA_Gal786

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

personally I think online dating is just stupid. I mean you don't know who your REALLY talking to, and it's just a desprate and pathetic way to get a blind date/boyfriend/girlfriend.

#2 Isabella89

Isabella89

Clarissa = future pin-up artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

I actually agree and I think that if you have to resort to online dating it shows a big lack of a social life and ability to interact with people. Besides you don't know who your talking to untill you meet them.For dating you should just go out and meet people, if you are finding people in person you are more likely to find someone with common interests and you'll probably meet more interesting people. While it seems to be socially more accepted I just think it is sad and really embarressing to have to resort to online dating. It just screams pathetic. I think it says alot about a person if they are trying to "hook up" on the net. If someone wanted a serious (safe) relationship the interent is definetly not the answer, you just have to get out more and meet new people and try to be a litttle more open. It's probably highly dangerous as well, not one bit of information given to you on the person you are speaking to could be true. You just really don't know.

Edited by Isabella89, 30 October 2005 - 05:53 PM.

#3 Ace

Ace

BoA* Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

I actually agree and I think that if you have to resort to online dating it shows a big lack of a social life and ability to interact with people. Besides you don't know who your talking to untill you meet them.For dating you should just go out and meet people, if you are finding people in person you are more likely to find someone with common interests and you'll probably meet more interesting people. While it seems to be socially more accepted I just think it is sad and really embarressing to have to resort to online dating. It just screams pathetic. I think it says alot about a person if they are trying to "hook up" on the net. If someone wanted a serious (safe) relationship the interent is definetly not the answer, you just have to get out more and meet new people and try to be a litttle more open. It's probably highly dangerous as well, not one bit of information given to you on the person you are speaking to could be true. You just really don't know.

Would you say the same for, let's say someone who works two jobs, is a single parent, and has no spare time to "go out and meet people"?

You cannot blatantly generalize and equalize Online Daters = Losers. I think we all have to broaden our perspectives a little bit more and realize that times have drastically changed. In my opinion, just because one does not participate in the traditional ritual of dating, the "go out and meet people" as you put it, does not make him or her socially inept.

Mind you, the club and bar scene can be rather tiresome...

#4 Soluna

Soluna

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

Yeah. All you find are people just searching for booty calls or already involved with someone and just out with some friends. I'm only 21 and I can't stand the club scene as much. Plus, I don't have the time for it.

Anyways, Online dating is just like regular dating. You have some good relationships and some bad ones. They are both similiar in my eyes but the only difference is you don't have the physical contact. I know guy who's been dating a girl for 3 years and they seem fine. In fact, I think they are talking about going to same grad school together. And he's not socially inept.

The only reason why I think it has a bad rep because word of mouth, which normally is not really a good idea to listen to because the word of mouth doesn't know what the hell they are talking about and just running off by the mouth. In short, it is not pathetic and desperate. If you believe that, dating offline is just as equally as pathetic. I say, Don't knock it until you've tried it or least, don't be harsh about it if someone says they are in one.

Edited by Soluna, 30 October 2005 - 07:51 PM.

#5 Black_BoA_Gal786

Black_BoA_Gal786

Wowow! BoA is awesome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

well said Clarissa. Kids actually try to "hook up" on the internet too. I've seen it happen on the 4kidstv forum, the Totally Spies Officail Site forum, everywhere! and those kids are as young as 10.

#6 x__NiCOLE

x__NiCOLE

My family just disowned me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

This is somewhat similar to the webfriend's thread. Kind of.

Anyway, for kids that are at a very young age, it's a kind of pathetic and desperate way to feel like they're loved. lol.. I know there are a lot of match-making sites out there online (gosh, they've taken over the commercials now a days!) for the "adults" or whatever, and I guess thats okay. In the end, if it works out, you could meet each other and stuff... (am i just rambling now?)

But for people who can't even drive yet (lol) it's rather stupid to be dating online.

#7 stArAnGeL

stArAnGeL

I can't get BoA off my mind!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Online dating is a lot different than dating someone that you know in person... there's always going to be a connection between the people you meet online but physically, that person it reallie not there... but there are relationships that start online and the couples seems happy...

take for example, my b/f's parents... his mom met his stepdad online... they started talking and they met each other.. visited each other.. and now they're married for like 3 years now... and they're as happy as can be...

the only thing that scares me about online dating is that between you and the other person it's a virtual world... and in this virtual world... it can be truth, lies, games, and anything you can think of... so you just need to be careful who you talk to and what you say... i admit... a lot of people do lie online a lot

as for me and my b/f... we knew each other from high school but he moved away and we continued our friendship online and on the phone until we officially started dating... nothing was wrong with that... eventually he moved back here to be with me and we got to know each other more...

i guess sometimes you just have to know what's right and what's wrong when it's comes to online relationships... but it can be dull and it could actually be good too

#8 Chibi_Mayu

Chibi_Mayu

Mahou Shoujo sparkles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:46 PM

I've dated someone online before :notworthy: ..So to say that it definitely isn't a good idea. I think our relationship lasted for.. 2-3 weeks? And then it just died like that. That was like.. 2 years ago. :lol:

Though it doesn't hurt to date someone online again. I mean, who knows? The person whom you are dating might be "the one". :( Just a thought.

Edited by Chibi_Mayu, 30 October 2005 - 11:46 PM.

#9 inhyung

inhyung

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:50 PM

I don't think it's a particularly good idea at all. At least not for me. I'm the kind of person that enjoys the physical side of relationships a lot, whether it just be holding hands and taking a walk at night or hugging in the cold... I like that kind of stuff, and it helps me feel attached to my significant other. My ex-girlfriend went back to China for 8 weeks and that's how our relationship ended. Because we were away for 2 months we just grew apart and it wasn't the same afterwards. I've tried 'net dating' once before and it also didn't work out for me, I just couldn't find myself being attached to the person I was supposed to be 'loving'.

#10 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:36 AM

I actually think internet dating is okay.

People used to participate in a similar form of courting in the old days before the internet too; letters people. People used to court each other through letters --not too unlike internet dating neh? =___="

haha, 4kidstv or something was it? 10 yr olds trying to 'hook up' with girls? Wtf? Do ten year olds even fully understand what 'hooking up' with someone is?
Internet 'dating' (or dating in any form) for ten yr olds is simply NOT dating. It's just pretend. :) In this case, it's not a matter of being pathetic...but rather a matter of being extremely bored and immature. Probably due to an overdose of "Lizzie Maguire" show or something =___="

I actually typed up a crap load of stuff for this reply, but hell, lol whenever I do, I get like 0 references, and probably 0 ppl read it...so I'll just summarise my point. :lol:

Internet Dating + mature, preferably 16+ (imho only) individuals with plenty of common sense = possible happy ending

Internet dating + 10 yr olds = stupidity[/b]

Edited by Spring Sakura, 31 October 2005 - 02:44 AM.

#11 ChibiSess777

ChibiSess777

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

So people 11-15 have no regard towards your opinion :P

Seriously, to me, I can't stand the thought of internet dating. If I talk to a guy through the internet a few months or years and claims he "loves" me and wants to start a relationship (never happened by the way. i won't let it), it shows how desperate he is. He don't know me beyond the computer screen. :) And I don't know him beyond the computer screen. Then again, I'm only 15 (almost 16 :lol:) and internet dating is completely out of the question anyway.

#12 Spring Sakura

Spring Sakura

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:35 AM

So people 11-15 have no regard towards your opinion :lol:

lol ~_^ I didnt mean it that way. I'm focusing on extremes in my argument; on the possible online-dating that could lead to marriage, compared to that of the 10 yr olds...picking up girls on 4Kidstv sites =___="

EDIT: ...eck...bad grammar......O___O, sorry, it's late :)

Edited by Spring Sakura, 31 October 2005 - 06:36 AM.

#13 bto

bto

I'm an official BoA fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:19 AM

mmm to begin with to maintain a conversation on the net does involve some "ability to interact with other people" doesn't it :) just that the modus di operation is slightly different.

i guess everything depends on the motive :lol: if u go online just to date someone...then maybe u're looking at the wrong option.

but ever so coincidentally, the right one comes along... (then it's a different story)

#14 Ricadonna

Ricadonna

Gackt Inspector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

Would you say the same for, let's say someone who works two jobs, is a single parent, and has no spare time to "go out and meet people"?

You cannot blatantly generalize and equalize Online Daters = Losers. I think we all have to broaden our perspectives a little bit more and realize that times have drastically changed. In my opinion, just because one does not participate in the traditional ritual of dating, the "go out and meet people" as you put it, does not make him or her socially inept.

I agree. That's just rude, because a husband and wife my family is really good friends with are really really hapy, and have a loving family, & they met online.

If it's specifically for adults, then I think they can handle it in a way kids can't. At least I hope so. I heard that for online dating websites, you have to scan in some form of ID. Usually two. License & birth certificate or something? I don't know what. . . Something to tell you're not some little kid posing as an adult. Maybe that's just for fancier ones; because there are online dating services that actually have people from the company interview/background check the people you're thinking of meeting. Those are expensive though (& the type my family friends went through).

I mean, I don't think adults think that if you're talking online, you can fall in love. They're not going to propose without meeting you and as an adult, you're not going to tell your friends "My boyfriend is tommy56_ny", lol. So when you meet this person you think you may like in real life because you like them online, you already have a connection, and it helps the relationship grow.

So, saying that online dating is a "pathetic way to get a blind date/boyfriend/girlfriend" is dead wrong, as a blind date participant is someone you meet/speak to for the first time on your date, which is stupider than online dating in my opinion.

Edited by Ricadonna, 31 October 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#15 Isabella89

Isabella89

Clarissa = future pin-up artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

Guess online dating might not be so bad, never really considerded it in the light that some of you had mentioned, like what Ace said about the single mother thing. I still think it can be dangerous though but that's just what I think. I know that there are some good couples who met online but I guess I have a hard time not thinking about some really disturbing personal ad's I have seen that are really creepy, like married women and men looking to mess around and some people with some absolutely horrendous grammar that always makes me think twice about taking it seriously, but I have never tried it so I guess I can't really judge on it. But I have been able to look at it in a new light, maybe it's not that bad though I think people should still try to meet someone through a friend or in real life sometimes there just aren't much people around so I can definetly see the purpose for it. Nothing beats meeting person to person but maybe that's not always available so It couldn't hurt to keep your options open, though how can a person tell if the person they are persuing isn't dangerous if they have never met that person.

Edited by Isabella89, 31 October 2005 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users